Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts frontrunner to land CFL star.

Dustin

Being a Buckeye in Bama, I kind of followed his story the last few years. Here's a quote from his dad:

“He didn’t commit a crime, he has no tattoos, he has no kids and he’s a pleasant kid. His thing is he hates school, though, and I’m his dad. He’s really bright; he’s got an IQ over 130. He just hates school. We gave him the pretest on the Wonderlic. He got a 28.

He. Just. Hates. (‘bleep’ing). School.”

College isn't for everyone. Eventually, the NFL will set up a developmental league for guys just like him.

OK......     so we have your quote from Cris Carter (Dad)....   and it all seems fair and reasonable....

Except this.....

This quote from his former teammate.....    this quote doesn't make it sound like Duron Carter's only problem is school.    It makes it sound like he doesn't know how to be a good teammate.     And that's a big problem/risk for Grigson to take.

The quote....

"The team that drafts Duron Carter will get the most lazy, whiny & non-work ethic player the nfl has ever seen," Cayden Cochran, Coffeyville's starting quarterback for Carter's season there, wrote on his Twitter account in February. "I played w/him.  Horrible person & will be a complete cancer to any team on the board."

I'll trust Grigson's judgement with input from his staff and the Colts locker-room to keep him in check.   But this kid is going to have to earn it the good old fashion way....   hard work,  show-up on time,   don't talk back...   etc...

This is worth watching closely.....

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK......     so we have your quote from Cris Carter (Dad)....   and it all seems fair and reasonable....

Except this.....

This quote from his former teammate.....    this quote doesn't make it sound like Duron Carter's only problem is school.    It makes it sound like he doesn't know how to be a good teammate.     And that's a big problem/risk for Grigson to take.

The quote....

"The team that drafts Duron Carter will get the most lazy, whiny & non-work ethic player the nfl has ever seen," Cayden Cochran, Coffeyville's starting quarterback for Carter's season there, wrote on his Twitter account in February. "I played w/him.  Horrible person & will be a complete cancer to any team on the board."

I'll trust Grigson's judgement with input from his staff and the Colts locker-room to keep him in check.   But this kid is going to have to earn it the good old fashion way....   hard work,  show-up on time,   don't talk back...   etc...

Yeah, I saw that too. Again, it comes down to maturity. He's played two years in the CFL and got better each year. It would be interesting to hear what his teammates there have to say.

Personally, I don't think any player would last with the Colts if he were a distraction.

Like you said, I'll trust in Grigs too.

Nice body control when going up to get the catch...He is shifty to, would be a nice redzone target....Other then that he don't have great speed but good enough, Rogers was a better prospect until he worked himself out of town......Maybe he can last as Rogers did but I have my doubts

Yeah, I saw that too. Again, it comes down to maturity. He's played two years in the CFL and got better each year. It would be interesting to hear what his teammates there have to say.

Personally, I don't think any player would last with the Colts if he were a distraction.

Like you said, I'll trust in Grigs too.

I saw a report on CBS that said Carter had matured quite a bit in his two years in the CFL. I am not sure if they talked to teammates, coaches or personnel people.

we need to acquire (or seek to acquire) as much receiver talent as we can for obvious reasons

Yeah, let's just go ahead and sign like 50 WR's and cut everyone else...50 WR's, Luck @ QB, Vinny & PattyMac...that's our 53 man roster next year. Patty Mac will be the blocker in the backfield and Vinny will hike the ball.

No one could compete with all those pass catchers.

OR...we could put PATTYMAC in at Center and Vinny in the backfield to block...and if anyone hit's VINNY it would be roughing the Kicker...so we could move down the field on penalties on every play.

Huge CFL fan here.

I think he has legit NFL potential, though his size plays a big part in that. He was crazy good in his rookie year, and was very good again this year despite sub-par QB'ing (particularly from former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith). 

On an unrelated note, could anyone tell me how Muamba has progressed this year? I know he had a killer training camp, but haven't heard much since then.

I guess this means Nicks will probably be seeking employment elsewhere next season.

Nicks or Whalen.  I would rather see us give Nicks a deal than Whalen after this year.

Except this.....

The quote....

Given his talent, it was probably very difficult for him to play at a Junior College.  Not saying he should have been lazy, whiny, etc. like the QB says, but at that age and coming from Alabama and Ohio State to a JuCo cannot be an easy transition.  Like you say -- he'll have to earn it -- Brazzill and Rogers both have NFL talent, but they were kept on pretty short leashes when they came here.  We've got a strong locker room and like Pagano said after releasing Rogers -- this isn't a hard environment to thrive in.  Cannot hurt to give the kid a chance -- Reggie is up there in years, Nicks hasn't produced like we all had hoped, I think Whalen has a very low ceiling, and Moncrief is unproven though I think has a high ceiling.  It cannot hurt to give Luck options moving forward, and I imagine this would be a low-risk/high-reward type of deal.

Yeah, let's just go ahead and sign like 50 WR's and cut everyone else...50 WR's, Luck @ QB, Vinny & PattyMac...that's our 53 man roster next year. Patty Mac will be the blocker in the backfield and Vinny will hike the ball.

No one could compete with all those pass catchers.

OR...we could put PATTYMAC in at Center and Vinny in the backfield to block...and if anyone hit's VINNY it would be roughing the Kicker...so we could move down the field on penalties on every play.

I don't think that was the point.  Reggie is getting up there (probably only a couple years left in the tank) and TY has been very good but we right now there is a lot of uncertainty about his long-term counterpart (I am high on Moncrief, but jury is out on him and I don't necessarily think Nicks or Whalen is the answer).  We've got the best young QB in the game, if we want to build a dynasty, it will be critical that we supply him with weapons -- if we get a young guy (Carter is 23) that works out, it would be very helpful for Luck to have multiple young guys to build chemistry with and make it last for the long haul.

Nicks or Whalen.  I would rather see us give Nicks a deal than Whalen after this year.

Given his talent, it was probably very difficult for him to play at a Junior College.  Not saying he should have been lazy, whiny, etc. like the QB says, but at that age and coming from Alabama and Ohio State to a JuCo cannot be an easy transition.  Like you say -- he'll have to earn it -- Brazzill and Rogers both have NFL talent, but they were kept on pretty short leashes when they came here.  We've got a strong locker room and like Pagano said after releasing Rogers -- this isn't a hard environment to thrive in.  Cannot hurt to give the kid a chance -- Reggie is up there in years, Nicks hasn't produced like we all had hoped, I think Whalen has a very low ceiling, and Moncrief is unproven though I think has a high ceiling.  It cannot hurt to give Luck options moving forward, and I imagine this would be a low-risk/high-reward type of deal.

I don't think that was the point.  Reggie is getting up there (probably only a couple years left in the tank) and TY has been very good but we right now there is a lot of uncertainty about his long-term counterpart (I am high on Moncrief, but jury is out on him and I don't necessarily think Nicks or Whalen is the answer).  We've got the best young QB in the game, if we want to build a dynasty, it will be critical that we supply him with weapons -- if we get a young guy (Carter is 23) that works out, it would be very helpful for Luck to have multiple young guys to build chemistry with and make it last for the long haul.

I'm willing to bring Carter in.   As I wrote in an earlier post,  I'll trust Grigson and Pagano on whether to sign him and how to handle him if he comes aboard....

If he has decent skill to match thar height, Colts O will be unstoppable.

Oh my goodness...

1)  He is not a Colt yet

2)  It remains to be seen, if he does sign with the Colts, that he can actually play in the NFL

3)  See points 1 & 2 and get back to me, likely at some point in 2016, to see if he has made the Colts offense "unstoppable"

There are better WRs with similar measurable, that don't have off the field issues coming out in the upcoming draft. And I'm talking about late round guys too. Guys like Dorsett from Miami, Lippet from Michigan State, or even Lockett from Kansas State.

Plus, there aren't too many sons of Hall of Famers who end up becoming stars like their fathers. What is Jerry Rice Jr. up to these days anyway?

There are better WRs with similar measurable, that don't have off the field issues coming out in the upcoming draft. And I'm talking about late round guys too. Guys like Dorsett from Miami, Lippet from Michigan State, or even Lockett from Kansas State.

Plus, there aren't too many sons of Hall of Famers who end up becoming stars like their fathers. What is Jerry Rice Jr. up to these days anyway?

they would cost draft picks . carter cost a salary alot safer he has exp in cfl.  win win colts. he way then nicks . nicks cost us

$1,600,000

this year. bust.

Plus, there aren't too many sons of Hall of Famers who end up becoming stars like their fathers. What is Jerry Rice Jr. up to these days anyways

Jerry Rice Jr.  rookie for redskins RICHMOND, Va. — The Redskins have released Jerry Rice Jr., who tore the labrum in his left shoulder at training camp.

The Redskins officially designated Rice as "waived-injured." They replaced him on the roster Monday with defensive lineman Jeremy Towns, an undrafted rookie from Samford.

Yay! Just what we need.....more receivers!

We need a sarcasm font.

Why not? Everybody on this forum want Grigs to spent all draft picks on defence: replace Landry (bad), Adams (old and average), Redding (old), Jackson (bad), Toler (average). On offense... Wayne will be a 36 years old FA after this season. Nicks will not be resigned (well, this forum wants it that way). So it is Hilton, Moncrief and Whalen The Average as Colts' WR core. Sign FA receiver? What about resigning Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener? Injury for Hilton leaves us with Moncrief and Whalen. That's your plan?

Why not? Everybody on this forum want Grigs to spent all draft picks on defence: replace Landry (bad), Adams (old and average), Redding (old), Jackson (bad), Toler (average). On offense... Wayne will be a 36 years old FA after this season. Nicks will not be resigned (well, this forum wants it that way). So it is Hilton, Moncrief and Whalen The Average as Colts' WR core. Sign FA receiver? What about resigning Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener? Injury for Hilton leaves us with Moncrief and Whalen. That's your plan?

The offense will roll with Luck. The problem is he needs a O-Line to protect him to be able to throw to any receiver.   

We most certainly need to draft on defense.... ILB (DQ sucks, Freeman can't do it alone, and we have zero depth) OLB (Werner isn't awesome, who knows how Mathis will perform?) and safeties (LaRoid is garbage, and Adams is decent, but getting old) 

What's your plan, arm chair GM? 

The offense will roll with Luck. The problem is he needs a O-Line to protect him to be able to throw to any receiver.   

We most certainly need to draft on defense.... ILB (DQ sucks, Freeman can't do it alone, and we have zero depth) OLB (Werner isn't awesome, who knows how Mathis will perform?) and safeties (LaRoid is garbage, and Adams is decent, but getting old) 

I agree that WR isn't our biggest need, but I actually think Duron Carter is a nice fit for us (if he's matured into a reasonable locker room guy). Look at the position moving forward. I think next year Nicks is gone. We re-sign Wayne, who is old. We've got Hilton and Moncrief moving forward. Both of those guys have excellent speed, Moncrief has size too. Add Carter, another young WR to make it a three headed monster. He is a different type of player than those other guys. He's a possession receiver. He's got size and great pedigree. And he won't even cost us a draft pick. 

I know we have bigger needs, but I'd still be happy to lock down an awesome young receiving group. Not to mention we have a great TE in Dwayne Allen.

So "we most certainly need to draft on defense" (OLB, ILB, FS, SS), "he (Luck) needs a O-line" (draft? FA?), and you don't want Grigs to take chances on WRs? Do you really believe Colts will be better team with good OL and Luck to Lenz combo? Bring that kid to Indy, why not? One need less. That's my plan. :)

Being a Buckeye in Bama, I kind of followed his story the last few years. Here's a quote from his dad:

“He didn’t commit a crime, he has no tattoos, he has no kids and he’s a pleasant kid. His thing is he hates school, though, and I’m his dad. He’s really bright; he’s got an IQ over 130. He just hates school. We gave him the pretest on the Wonderlic. He got a 28.

He. Just. Hates. (‘bleep’ing). School.”

College isn't for everyone. Eventually, the NFL will set up a developmental league for guys just like him.

There is a developmental league for people like him, he's in it.  It's called the CFL.

I don't know why people keep believing an NFL D-league or something like that is going to happen.  It's not.  It's financially not feasible.  The CFL and Arena league will be the closest thing the NFL has to a developmental league.  

That having been said, academic problems arn't something the NFL has to worry about as long as he doesn't get in trouble with the police.

This isn't about taking an unproven WR with our 1st rd pick, just signing an undrafted WR (we do it EVERY year, but this one has post-college experience). He'll come cheap and wouldn't cost us a draft pick, allowing us to focus on defense and the o-line in the draft. I don't see how it'd be a bad idea. He sucks or causes problems? Cut em!

This isn't about taking an unproven WR with our 1st rd pick, just signing an undrafted WR (we do it EVERY year, but this one has post-college experience). He'll come cheap and wouldn't cost us a draft pick, allowing us to focus on defense and the o-line in the draft. I don't see how it'd be a bad idea. He sucks or causes problems? Cut em!

Exactly, this kind of low risk high reward signing would free up the need to draft a receiver and therefore could be allocated to fixing the D and the lines. I'm for it.

Nicely put

In 3 (three) months: Wayne is an old FA, Hicks is FA who doesn't produce, Hilton is in contract year and Colts have to resign Luck, Castonzo, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, Freeman, Butler, Redding (?). Yeah, WR is not a need.

Allen and Fleener will not get outrageous deals. While both good, Fleener has not been a superstar tight end, and Allen has played very well, but also not superstar levels and has had injury issues, so ok deals for both of them but nothing outrageous. Bradshaw I can see not getting resigned, again bc he has had injury issues limiting production, if he is resigned, I think it would be very team friendly.  Butler is a solid at best nickel corner, definitely wont sniff a contract close to that of Vontae.  Freeman is a solid ILB but not amongst the leagues best, he will get a nice 4 year deal, probably along the lines of DQ Jackson.  Redding is getting old, his next deal will be solid but not huge. Castonzo will get a decent contract. Some have mixed feelings about him, but he has been a solid producing LT and not dealt with many injury issues. Luck will get whatever he wants of course, but hopefully he takes a modest deal.

I dont see how WR is not a need, you hit the nail on the head, Reggie is an old FA that at this point will retire as a Colt, he will get a deal if he wants to keep playing but it will not be a major deal.

Nicks will not be back, so we will have an opening at WR. why not sign another young guy to a very team friendly 3-4 year contract?  Moncrief, TY, Carter, with Wayne as a veteran presence would be a great receiving corps, and allow for future growth

Allen and Fleener will not get outrageous deals. While both good, Fleener has not been a superstar tight end, and Allen has played very well, but also not superstar levels and has had injury issues, so ok deals for both of them but nothing outrageous. Bradshaw I can see not getting resigned, again bc he has had injury issues limiting production, if he is resigned, I think it would be very team friendly.  Butler is a solid at best nickel corner, definitely wont sniff a contract close to that of Vontae.  Freeman is a solid ILB but not amongst the leagues best, he will get a nice 4 year deal, probably along the lines of DQ Jackson.  Redding is getting old, his next deal will be solid but not huge. Castonzo will get a decent contract. Some have mixed feelings about him, but he has been a solid producing LT and not dealt with many injury issues. Luck will get whatever he wants of course, but hopefully he takes a modest deal.

I dont see how WR is not a need, you hit the nail on the head, Reggie is an old FA that at this point will retire as a Colt, he will get a deal if he wants to keep playing but it will not be a major deal.

Nicks will not be back, so we will have an opening at WR. why not sign another young guy to a very team friendly 3-4 year contract?  Moncrief, TY, Carter, with Wayne as a veteran presence would be a great receiving corps, and allow for future growth

Butler is a very good nickel

Redding will probably retire

Castonzo will get more than a decent contract

I said Butler was a solid nickel corner, I was just saying that he wont get a deal near that of what Vontae got, he wont get a huge contract.

I can see Redding retiring, just alluding to if he does play a few more years his contract would be a solid deal but not something that I would worry about

Castonzo will get a decent contract. By decent i mean good sized, both length and money. I dont think he will get a contract equivalent to those of the top LTs in the league but I do think he will get his money.

Allen and Fleener will not get outrageous deals. While both good, Fleener has not been a superstar tight end, and Allen has played very well, but also not superstar levels and has had injury issues, so ok deals for both of them but nothing outrageous. Bradshaw I can see not getting resigned, again bc he has had injury issues limiting production, if he is resigned, I think it would be very team friendly. Butler is a solid at best nickel corner, definitely wont sniff a contract close to that of Vontae. Freeman is a solid ILB but not amongst the leagues best, he will get a nice 4 year deal, probably along the lines of DQ Jackson. Redding is getting old, his next deal will be solid but not huge. Castonzo will get a decent contract. Some have mixed feelings about him, but he has been a solid producing LT and not dealt with many injury issues. Luck will get whatever he wants of course, but hopefully he takes a modest deal.

Nicks will not be back, so we will have an opening at WR. why not sign another young guy to a very team friendly 3-4 year contract? Moncrief, TY, Carter, with Wayne as a veteran presence would be a great receiving corps, and allow for future growth

You're right, but the Colts still have to pay Mathis, Davis, Cherilus, RJF, Jones, Jackson, dead money for Landry, not only resign Luck and others. Taking chances like this one is the best way to make roster better and cheaper.

So "we most certainly need to draft on defense" (OLB, ILB, FS, SS), "he (Luck) needs a O-line" (draft? FA?), and you don't want Grigs to take chances on WRs? Do you really believe Colts will be better team with good OL and Luck to Lenz combo? Bring that kid to Indy, why not? One need less. That's my plan. :)

Next year is next year. Plus, we need more help on defense than we do offense. 

What's our biggest need right now? 

Hint: It's certainly not WR. 

I like the idea of this kid being fast and I hope he does picks the Colts. But is WR our biggest need? No.