Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The biggest free agent pick up IMO was...

RockThatBlue

I know people will rip me for this.... But I like the DQ Jackson signing

I like it too. He has had his bad moments but hes a great tackler and pretty good in run support and in blitzing.

He sucks at covering tight ends, but honestly lots of linebackers have trouble with that so its not like hes the only one. Tight ends are hard to cover these days.

It's absolutely Cory Redding.

I don't include Jerrell Freeman because he's technically in a different group of free agents. As a training camp cut and after a couple years in the CFL, he would have played for anyone who called, and he was technically a rookie in 2012 with no accrued service. Signed to a minimum contract, he was zero risk to us. To me, that's more of a credit to the scouting than to the staff's ability to navigate free agency. But he was a great addition as well.

I straight up love Redding. Not only is he playing at an extremely high level but he's a team leader who gives 150% every game and loves and respects the game. He was a great signing, and I really hope we can convince him to come back for another year or two. IMO Redding is having the best year of his career.

It's absolutely Cory Redding.

I don't include Jerrell Freeman because he's technically in a different group of free agents. As a training camp cut and after a couple years in the CFL, he would have played for anyone who called, and he was technically a rookie in 2012 with no accrued service. Signed to a minimum contract, he was zero risk to us. To me, that's more of a credit to the scouting than to the staff's ability to navigate free agency. But he was a great addition as well.

Butler would fall into this category also.

Which? The Freeman category?

If so, yeah, I agree. Different circumstance, but he wasn't exactly on anyone's free agent wish list.

Right , Butler was waived by the Pats in 2011 . Cut by the Panthers in 2012 and pretty much got a "last chance " with the Colts around game 4 of the 2012 season. Hardly what you would call a "free agent pick-up."

I think if A. Jones gets healthy and stays healthy, he'll take this spot.  Can't argue with Redding for now though, but we've had some good ones.

Cherilus has been very solid for a couple years.  Mike Adams is playing great ball now.  D. Jackson is playing very well the past 5 games after being exposed in coverage the first 2.  Butler, when healthy, has been great.  Toler has been very good this year, and was good when healthy last year.  Vontae Davis (acquired by trade) has been well worth the 2nd round pick we sent to Miami.  Ahmad Bradshaw has been excellent.  Walden and RJF are really starting to come into their own in this defense (still think we may have overpaid for RJF, but he's playing well).  Hasselbeck to me is still a very underrated signing -- he has been a great mentor for Andrew, seems to be a team leader and after seeing what happened when Peyton went down, I really value a backup QB that can win a game if the unforeseen happens.

Grigs has really done a great job with these signings/trades.  Given the circumstance we had last year (Ballard injured, Bradshaw an injury risk who wound up IR'ed), I still like the T-Rich trade and it continues to grow on me as T-Rich continues to improve his game and role on our roster.

Nicks has been so-so, but that was a low risk/high reward signing, we signed him to a year deal for not a lot of money.  DHB was not good but that was also very low risk signing.  Satele didn't work out so well, but to Grigs credit I'm not sure he had much better options given our roster at the time and what was available with the cap space he had to rebuild this entire team (I think Wayne, Mathis, Vinatieri, Costanzo, and McAfee are the only Polian-era Colts left -- can anyone verify?).  Satele was pretty good before we signed him and he's good in Miami now, didn't pan out here, but I like the fact that Grigs ate it and cut Satele (I always thought Polian had a pride issue and refused to cut anyone or admit a mistake on a draft pick or acquisition). 

Really, the only signing or acquistion I haven't liked is Landry -- but again, to Grigs' benefit, Landry was coming off a pro-bowl year, we didn't exactly break the bank on him, and he hasn't been terrible.  He misses and over-pursues too much, but he sure can lay the wood when he connects and I think that Grigs/Pags have been trying to make our D have a hard-nosed/smash-mouth identity, so the Landry signing makes sense.  I still want Sergio to remain at S, but think there are plenty of starting safeties around the league who are worse than Landry.

Shoot, I got bored and looked at the Colts 2012 season and roster.

Some names I forgot that were also very good signings:

Matt Overton, Donnie Avery (he was a very solid weapon for us in Luck's first season even though he had some drop issues), McGlynn was adequate for what he was paid.  The only other signing I see that I didn't like was Zbkowski, but even he was OK considering the major overhaul.

Joe Reitz was pre-Grigs and Fili Moala (on our IR) was also pre-Grigs.  So those two plus Wayne, Mathis, Vinatieri, McAffee, Costanzo are the only pre-Grigs Colts that are still around.  I think that list makes it impossible to disagree with who Grigs has kept around and who he's let go since he took over.

Shoot, I got bored and looked at the Colts 2012 season and roster.

Some names I forgot that were also very good signings:

Matt Overton, Donnie Avery (he was a very solid weapon for us in Luck's first season even though he had some drop issues), McGlynn and McKinney both were adequate for what they were paid.  The only other signing I see that I didn't like was Zbkowski, but even he was OK considering the major overhaul.

Joe Reitz was pre-Grigs and Fili Moala (on our IR) was also pre-Grigs.  So those two plus Wayne, Mathis, Vinatieri, McAffee, Costanzo are the only pre-Grigs Colts that are still around.  I think that list makes it impossible to disagree with who Grigs has kept around and who he's let go since he took over.

McKinney never played a meaningful down for the colts. And McGylynn was horrible.

McKinney never played a meaningful down for the colts. And McGylynn was horrible.

DId not realize McKinney on IR that whole year, for some reason I thought he got a couple of games in.  Regardless, we still paid him very little for being a 6 year vet who was familiar with Pagano's system.

McGlynn was signed to be a back up and to provide depth.  Our line was terrible when Grigs inherited it.  McGlynn wasn't good, but for under $1 mill he was 'adequate for what he was paid'

I know people will rip me for this.... But I like the DQ Jackson signing

if people understand what he was brought here to do no people won't rip you. He was brought here to shut down the run, not cover tightends on passing plays. He's been a rock in our run defense thIs year. Yes, his weakness is pass defense has been exposed but that's not why he was signed.

Didn't count him cause he was a one year deal. I'm speaking of those who got multi-year deals

It was hilarious the Steelers had him on the hands team for the onside kick last night. Predictably the ball went right thru his hands,

Onside kicks always make me think back to Hank Bassett bonehead play in the Super Bowl again the ball was right there.

As far as free agents if you count the UDFA class man did we score.

I am going to go with Adams on D. He was a guy I was hoping we would take a look at after Howell had the neck problem and he has stepped in and played well for us and has really solidified helped our back end. Short term answer but a good one so far.  

On Offense big ole Jonothan Harrison. It looks like we have finally found our C for the future now just sit back and watch that O Line get better and better the more they play together.  

if people understand what he was brought here to do no people won't rip you. He was brought here to shut down the run, not cover tightends on passing plays. He's been a rock in our run defense thIs year. Yes, his weakness is pass defense has been exposed but that's not why he was signed.

Yeah but that was when he had to cover Graham nobody does that well.