Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out KR Trindon Holliday

Dustin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer we stick to what has worked.  Whalen had one bad game but on Thursday he was pretty solid.  Made good decisions, didnt muff any and had a couple decent returns.  Let's not go getting greedy and try a risky player.  Secure the ball, get positive yards if you can, and get the ball to the offense.  Thats all we need.  Whalen is perfectly capable at that and he can play WR and has chemistry with Luck.

I'm not a fan of using WR's at kick returns (due to risk of injury) and always cringed when TY or Garcon was back there. 

He's not explosive, and he's not lightning fast, but the Griffers is as sure handed as they come and he's fearless. 

Aside from some questionable decisions (Ravens or Titans game I can't remember) he's been doing a good job back there. 

The last thing I want to see is someone back there that we have to just wait and hope that he can keep the ball in his hands because he has butter fingers. There's a reason he's on the waiver wire week 7 of the season. 

It could be worse........David Reed anyone? 

I'm not a fan of using WR's at kick returns (due to risk of injury) and always cringed when TY or Garcon was back there.

He's not explosive, and he's not lightning fast, but the Griffers is as sure handed as they come and he's fearless.

Aside from some questionable decisions (Ravens or Titans game I can't remember) he's been doing a good job back there.

The last thing I want to see is someone back there that we have to just wait and hope that he can keep the ball in his hands because he has butter fingers. There's a reason he's on the waiver wire week 7 of the season.

It could be worse........David Reed anyone?

I was watching the seahawks game from last year last night and on at least 3 kick returns he took it from deep in the end zone to about the 12-15 yard line. Useless.

I would prefer we stick to what has worked.  Whalen had one bad game but on Thursday he was pretty solid.  Made good decisions, didnt muff any and had a couple decent returns.  Let's not go getting greedy and try a risky player.  Secure the ball, get positive yards if you can, and get the ball to the offense.  Thats all we need.  Whalen is perfectly capable at that and he can play WR and has chemistry with Luck.

I agree, the most important thing by far is making sure that someone can catch the punt and or kickoff and let Luck and the offense have the ball without getting pinned too deep because of a mistake.

Honestly we have one of the best offenses in the NFL, why would we want to risk losing possessions for an explosive returner with fumbling problems?

And lets remember that if a returner coughs up the football on a punt, it's huge.  It gives the opponent the ball deep, almost as if they had connected on 50 yard pass play.  It gives up points nearly every single time.  It's just not worth the risk.

I was watching the seahawks game from last year last night and on at least 3 kick returns he took it from deep in the end zone to about the 12-15 yard line. Useless.

Far from useless. Plus that was last year. 

I'm not disagreeing he's made some questionable decisions as far as not letting it go over his head, or taking it out from deep in the endzone. Plus, that was only one game, which he's watched that tape and learned from. It's not like it's a constant problem. 

But......he's taken it out from deep in endzone many times this year and gotten right around the 22-25 yard line.

I'll take that over butterfingers any day. Unless we are talking about the candy bar. 

Just have Griff faircatch every punt and we'd be yards ahead. It seems that every time there's a decent return, the refs throw a flag anyway and we end up worse off.

Between the Holding calls and the illegal block in the back calls that happen on kickoff and punt returns you have to wonder if there is much benefit to attempting returns at all.  Especially when you can kneel down for a touchback.

I'd rather try Moncrief as a returner if he isn't going to see the field a lot. 

Don't take this wrong, because I am a HUGE Moncrief fan. But I do not want to see Moncrief returning anything. He looked very uncomfortable as a returner in the preseason. 

Im certainly not impressed with Whalen being our return man, but I wouldn't say it's time to give up on him.  If he continues to fumble or make dumb decisions by all means revoke his privledge.  I don't know if TH is the man for the job tho.  Why pay him if he's proven to be questionable also.  Personally I think Purifoy should get an opportunity.  Again, not sure if he will be good, but we don't need someone to make huge plays on returns.  We only need somebody who will protect the football and not give us bad field position.  The offense will take care of the rest.

Far from useless. Plus that was last year.

I'm not disagreeing he's made some questionable decisions as far as not letting it go over his head, or taking it out from deep in the endzone. Plus, that was only one game, which he's watched that tape and learned from. It's not like it's a constant problem.

But......he's taken it out from deep in endzone many times this year and gotten right around the 22-25 yard line.

I'll take that over butterfingers any day. Unless we are talking about the candy bar.

I think he was taking about David reed

Pass on Holliday. Would rather start at the 20 and put the ball in Lucks hands and the offense on a consistent basis than roll the dice and gamble on Holliday fumbling or making a great return. Not worth it

Very off topic here but what does the somd stand for?.. southern maryland possibility?

Pass on Holliday. Would rather start at the 20 and put the ball in Lucks hands and the offense on a consistent basis than roll the dice and gamble on Holliday fumbling or making a great return. Not worth it

Nice post.. thats my only problem with griff.. he always seems to try and run it out of the endzone at the worse time. C'mon man! Take the 20

Nice post.. thats my only problem with griff.. he always seems to try and run it out of the endzone at the worse time. C'mon man! Take the 20

I wonder what the Colts avg starting field position is this year compared to past years, say over a 5-7 year span? Maybe its the kickoff rule moving the ball out but sure seems like the Colts start in pretty good shape, even after punt returns. Is that wishful thinking or fact? 

I wonder what the Colts avg starting field position is this year compared to past years, say over a 5-7 year span? Maybe its the kickoff rule moving the ball out but sure seems like the Colts start in pretty good shape, even after punt returns. Is that wishful thinking or fact? 

I don't know what the number is, but we've only given up 3 third down conversions in the last 3 games. So it's possible that, because the defense is doing a better job of getting off the field, we're getting better field position.

We also have 3 onside kicks, and have forced some turnovers, so those play a factor in starting field position as well. I'd be surprised if our average starting field position isn't among the best in the league.

Really good points. Its definitely all tied together. Instead of "cringing" when the Colts kick off or punt now, like in years past, its almost fun to watch who`s going to make a play or maybe create a turnover. Griff isn't a barn burner by any means but IMO, I still trust in him to get the job done and get what he can out of each return. Maybe this is a good point in the season to explore other options, the Colts definitely showed with yanking Shipley they aren't afraid to try

Factish?

This year the average is starting LOS is 29.52, 7th in the league.

2013: 27.84(14th)

2012: 24.35 (30th)

2012: 23.64 (32nd)

Football Outsiders

But that includes LOS after kick returns, punts, TOs... so maybe the special teams stats would be a better measure.