Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confirmed: Robert Mathis out for season with torn Achilles (merge)

Indeee

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigson start wheeling and dealing

Not a lot of All Pro pass rushers waiting to be called or traded. 

It's an area that has to be addressed even if this didn't happen.  Mathis wasn't going to play at that level for much longer.  Werner doesn't look like the heir apparent.

Hear me out. It doesn't help us much this season, but to be honest, I don't think we were ready to win a championship this year anyhow. I think next year could be our year. But what this does, is force the Colts defense to find ways to create pressure without a star the same way the Packers had to develop a running game when they were missing Rodgers last year.

Plus this will go to show the front office how much pass rush needs to be addressed next offseason if we can't generate any with Mathis gone. And I'm willing to bet Mathis is one of those guys who can come back strong from an injury.

Reggie Wayne's injury was supposed to be a blessing in disguise too

But Andrew still forces passes his way instead of looking at other targets like he was forced to do last year when Wayne went down

Perhaps, but we really can't afford to give up more draft picks.

Agreed. I know there is a win-now mentality but Grigson can't mortgage the future with Luck around for the next 10-12 years.  The reality is that Mathis was 33 years old going into this year and Grigson needed to prepare for this moment. I don't think he ever did though.  Manusky is going to have to scheme to get more sacks now.  That's risky because it means more blitzes.

But Andrew still forces passes his way instead of looking at other targets like he was forced to do last year when Wayne went down

Wayne's injury was not "supposed" to be a blessing in disguise last year. It's just something dumb people say to make themselves feel better about a horrible situation.

Here is a list of names to consider ( to take part right away):

Marcus Smith

Jabaal Sheard

Barkeivious Mingo

Nick Perry 

( if we are willing to wait) Aldon Smith

Some food for thought.

I don't know if any of those are gettable, but I applaud you for making a suggestion.  It beats all the "it's the end of the world!" posts.

I'd hate to deal a high draft pick, unless it's a young established player.

I don't know if any of those are gettable, but I applaud you for making a suggestion.  It beats all the "it's the end of the world!" posts.

I'd hate to deal a high draft pick, unless it's a young established player.

Justin Houston. KC just drafted Dee Ford in the first and Houston is in a contract year. 

Where they forced. . . based on what I saw Reggie Wayne was the only guy that was even remotely open last night.