Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confirmed: Robert Mathis out for season with torn Achilles (merge)

Indeee

Does St Louis have anyone that could help us? They lost Bradford and now their backup is hurt too. Just wondering if it's possible to trade Hasselbeck. They need someone right now and so do we. Luck is going to take every snap this year anyway

St. Louis might want to mail it in this year and get themselves a franchise QB in the draft.  I don't know that they would be willing to trade a pass rusher to us though.

That said it does bring up another option.  We could sign a pass rusher off someone's practice squad.  I thought of Sam at first but I'm sure he's not the only pass rusher on someone's practice squad that might be able to give us some pressure.  

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of his picks went towards Wayne last night, and he hardly even threw INT's last season.

I'm not talking about the picks. All of his forced passes don't lead to picks but they are drive killers

There were numerous times last night where Andrew forced passes to players who weren't open and missed those who were

Only difference between Luck and Romo yesterday was Romo's passes turned to 3 picks

Luck had 2

Defense wins championships.

How many teams with a sub-par / average defense have won the SB in the last decade? Green Bay Packers, maybe?

Packers had a top 5 pass defense that year. It was the Ravens that had a middle of the league defense that rode Flacco's arm.

Rodgers however won games like 21-14 with a B.J.Raji pick six in the NFCCG and 21-16 on the road vs the Eagles.

Flacco scored 24, 38, 28 and 32 in his 4 games and I felt was more hot on the offensive side though Rodgers lit up the Falcons and cashed in on 3 Steelers turnovers for 3 TDs in the SB.

while I don't see this as a blessing for THIS season, I think I very well could be for the Colts future.  Mathis is an aging player with a $36 million contract...by getting injured outside of official Colts workouts, we can actually put him on the "non football related IR" and then cut ties with him without owing any money and no dead money on the salary cap...thus making it easier to re-sign all of our young guys and then have the money to do other things that need done (interior offensive line, pass rush etc)... it wouldn't be a popular move, but if we can cut Peyton Manning due to injury, then we can definitely cut Mathis also...  Again, may not be a popular idea, but could help the team in the long run!

Here is a list of names to consider ( to take part right away):

Marcus Smith

Jabaal Sheard

Barkeivious Mingo

Nick Perry 

( if we are willing to wait) Aldon Smith

Some food for thought.

If they go after Aldon Smith I will quit watching Colts games.

Remember last year when we all assumed Grigs would jump on finding a high-qualtiy replacement for Wayne, and than he didn't?

Why would he need to find a replacement for a player who is still playing, and looked pretty darn good last night? Plus Moncrief. There will be a time when that is needed, but now is not that time.

Everyone take a deep breath will survive without Mathis. 

Then you and I watched a different game. Sorry you that think a player should hit the QB every play. Maybe you should watch more games. Yeah, it just doesn't happen like that.

Yes, because I was clearly stating he should hit the QB every play. If you disagree about Werner, fine, but don't spout a bunch of nonsense instead of actually having a response.

Packers had a top 5 pass defense that year. It was the Ravens that had a middle of the league defense that rode Flacco's arm.

Rodgers however won games like 21-14 with a B.J.Raji pick six in the NFCCG and 21-16 on the road vs the Eagles.

Flacco scored 24, 38, 28 and 32 in his 4 games and I felt was more hot on the offensive side though Rodgers lit up the Falcons and cashed in on 3 Steelers turnovers for 3 TDs in the SB.

Let's be honest though, The Ravens defense then is WAY better than the Colts defense now.

If we were somehow to miraculously win the Superbowl, I'll eat crow.

while I don't see this as a blessing for THIS season, I think I very well could be for the Colts future.  Mathis is an aging player with a $36 million contract...by getting injured outside of official Colts workouts, we can actually put him on the "non football related IR" and then cut ties with him without owing any money and no dead money on the salary cap...thus making it easier to re-sign all of our young guys and then have the money to do other things that need done (interior offensive line, pass rush etc)... it wouldn't be a popular move, but if we can cut Peyton Manning due to injury, then we can definitely cut Mathis also...  Again, may not be a popular idea, but could help the team in the long run!

are-you-sure.jpg

If you are having problems reading this message....please try again.......:)

I really do feel my answer should have been 'Too Soon."  

If healthy I want him to retire a Colt....."Ring of honor fellas!" :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

trade our first round pick for a pass rusher? I was thinking maybe aldon smith. obviously the 49ers are not happy with his off the field behavior not to mention he suspended for the next 8 games so they might listen to a trade offer 

I hate to say but that trade is kinda biting us in the butt...however hindsight is always 20/20. I was hoping we would have cut Freeney a couple years ago saving the salary...thus could have given him more playing time but sometimes it just takes a change of scenery or coaching to get something out of a guy...he may never had worked out for us. Perhaps we sign Michael Sams off Dallas's practice squad?........ok but honestly somebody like him wouldn't be bad to be grooming to replace Mathis...whether its now or next year I worry about Mathis's future....ACL on 34 yr old pass rushers....that rely on speed and angles...thats a toughie to overcome!

Reggie managed to recover fully from torn ACL. I hope Bob can do the same!

trade our first round pick for a pass rusher? I was thinking maybe aldon smith. obviously the 49ers are not happy with his off the field behavior not to mention he suspended for the next 8 games so they might listen to a trade offer 

If Grigson traded a first rounder for Aldon Smith, he should immediately be fired by Irsay when he returns. 

Actually I had us 2-2 after first 4 games.

without pass rush...Luck can't outdo everything. We mey end up around 8-8 at the end of regular season.

Grigson and the coaching staff must have massive headache.

8-8?!?!?! 8-8?!?!?! 

lolno.gif

If we go 8-8 this year, Everyone better be fired. Chuck, Grigs, both coordinators...EVERYBODY. 

I merged all the Mathis threads, FYI.

Yet, AGAIN it is taking too long to build a solidified defense and a decent OL around what could be one of the best QB's of his generation...now why does that sound so familiar?

I personally expect Luck to figure this out and LEAVE INDY next contract.  He is smart enough to see this is what they did to Peyton, just like they are doing it to him, and he will get the heck out of dodge.

Yet, AGAIN it is taking too long to build a solidified defense and a decent OL around what could be one of the best QB's of his generation...now why does that sound so familiar?

I personally expect Luck to figure this out and LEAVE INDY next contract.  He is smart enough to see this is what they did to Peyton, just like they are doing it to him, and he will get the heck out of dodge.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Andrew Luck is going NO WHERE !!!  You can count on that.  He is staying right here in Indy, where he belongs !!!

Granted but something needs to be done unless we are contempt on rolling with werner as our pass rusher. Which didn't look good vs denver. Granted Clady is one of the best.

You just said it tho "Clady is one of the best" and we're not going to face an elite qb each week...we'll get back to the playoffs, but its a death blow to any chance of a Super Bowl (if Luck doesn't really raise his level of play this yr and get the offense avg 30 ppg), because against the elite qb's we were gonna need Mathis's production...I was at the game last night in Den the pass rush is actually decent and our run defense was looking stout (haven't checked the stats yet), but to get passed Den and Ne we needed Mathis