Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to beat Andrew Luck

TheGeneral69

I seen a thread on how to beat Peyton, and obviously people say "keep him off the field, get pressure up middle." but in all honesty very rarely can a team do both.

So the question is what does it take to slow Andrew Luck down? Seeing how he can beat you with his arms, and legs do you guys see a glaring weakness in his game? 

The way to beat a QB is very simple: play physically.  If you apply some good pressure and don't give him time to get comfortable in the pocket, you'll be in a great position to win.  You can apply that formula to any QB and win.  The problem is getting the pressure.  Analysts love to say things like "to beat Peyton, you have to hit him and sack him"....well, you can say that for any QB.  However, hitting and sacking a QB isn't an easy task

I seen a thread on how to beat Peyton, and obviously people say "keep him off the field, get pressure up middle." but in all honesty very rarely can a team do both.

So the question is what does it take to slow Andrew Luck down? Seeing how he can beat you with his arms, and legs do you guys see a glaring weakness in his game?

Same way how you beat Peyton lol. There's one consistent way to beat really good qbs and that is to get pressure in their face, don't give up huge plays, and keep them off the field with your offense.

I would key in on wayne. Luck has this tendency to lock onto wayne when he's in trouble. it works sometimes, but other times it results in a bad play by Luck.

Shut down whatever run game we have or will have, Force Luck to have to throw it 40+ times to win....The Colts are 11 and 8 when he throws more then 35 times...Alright not bad but still 16 td's to 21 int's. while also getting pressure right in his face. Force him to carry the load consistently and put him in 3rd and long consistently through bad playcalling furthermore compounded by even worse execution

Shut down whatever run game we have or will have, Force Luck to have to throw it 40+ times to win....The Colts are 11 and 8 when he throws more then 35 times...Alright not bad but still 16 td's to 21 int's. while also getting pressure right in his face. Force him to carry the load consistently and put him in 3rd and long consistently through bad playcalling furthermore compounded by even worse execution

Crap, I forgot this was a stop Luck thread for a second, because I'm gonna be honest here on Denver's offense. I don't have that much faith in Montee Ball to peel off long runs or give Peyton adequate pass protection. UW-Madison just called & threatened to revoke my college diploma for abandoning an alumni member. Bucky Badger is ticked off. LOL! So what, let's get a victory INDY. 

If TR gets stuffed early, throw RB Dan Herron in there for a small back with decent leg speed. I can't reveal the fatal flaw of my favorite team. That's just wrong man. Good post though Gavin! 

thats it TK. no apple juice for a month haha

Oh, you play rough CR91. Remind me to never infuriate you man. I can see it now: SW1 I was gonna give you backstage passes to meet actress Zoe Saldana, but you really made me blow my top so forget that vision of paradise dude. Darn it!  :lol:  :funny:  lmao

Okay, not that funny. Yes, it is to me anyway. Okay, I'm done with my foolish antics here. Sorry. 

Limit his short throws. He can't beat you deep and if you have no fear of the running game. Give nothing in the middle. That's how the Saints got to Luck. It's going to be up to everyone to do their jobs this season. Defense has to get turnovers. It's a team game, they need to help one another.

Be the New England Patriots :flyingelvis:

:peek:

Pretty funny. :)

I think that Bill is a master at confusing young QBs. I think with Luck he is still at the point in his career where you can confuse him with different looks. That is what the Pats have done the last couple of games. Show him one thing pre-snap and then change at post-snap. Also, the NE DBs were very physical with the Colts receivers which knocked them off their game somewhat. I would think Denver would look at what NE did in Jan and try to incorporate some of that stuff but really Denver is so stout up front that I think they would do more with their line vs the Colts and bring disguised blitzes to get to Luck. That really is their best bet at stopping the Colts offense. I can't see them playing a lot of cover stuff as the Colt receivers are too good.

If all else fails just have your slot receiver come across the middle and take Talib out. ;)

the 40 throws is not the cause of losing its the result..

..when you trail,..you throw late..when you lead, you don't..

...but you're right..the way to stop Luck is to hold Trent to 3 yards a carry

Trying not to be too QB-centric about this....there are no specific weaknesses to attack such as "pressure up the middle" that guarantee anything against Andrew Luck.

In Manning's case....at least the "inside pressure" theory is a well-tested defensive strategy because he'll almost always crumple to the ground like Woody from Toy Story when he is under fast approaching pocket pressure.

Luck is the much better athlete and can break away from all but a direct hit with his strength and is also the better passer rolling out. Flushing Andrew Luck out of the pocket often does more harm than good.

Now....if the defense defeats our O-line and covers Luck's targets all game long, then yes....the net effect is "slowing Andrew Luck down". But that's not the result of any glaring weaknesses on Andrew's part....even the best NFL QBs can only do so much when the rest of their offense is breaking down and not winning their battles.

Hell, nobody questions Aaron Rodgers' ability as a QB....but against the Seahawks the other night, he didn't stand a chance.

Andrew has no "glaring" weaknesses, no baked-in bad habits or uncorrectable tendencies beyond the normal learning curve of a young NFL QB. He has the ability to do everything a QB is asked to do....and a couple of things he already does as well as any other QB.

If he ever gets consistent O-line protection/run blocking and we present the balanced attack we're looking for.....he'll stand alongside the very QBs he was compared to when we drafted him. And not just statistically.

The only way to beat Andrew Luck is to keep him off the field, ask the Chiefs.

The only reason the Patriots beat us is because they ran the ball all over our defense, killed the clock, no time for comeback magic :)

And I bet they're going to lose to the Pats again this year in Indy.  Revis will shut down either Wayne (AGAIN) or TY.  They'll send a safety over to the other side of the field to double team the other WR.  They'll throw about 10 different schemes and looks at Luck.  Luck will be forced to have to throw into double coverage or at Revis' side.  Good luck with that.

Brady will drive down the field with the 10 weapons he has now.  Pats brought back their 2 tight end set.

How the heck are the Colts going to cover...

Edelman

Amendola

Dobson

Thompkins

LaFell

Tyms

Gronk

Wright

Hoomanawanui

And then shut down the Pats run game?  I'll believe it when I see it.

I really hope they're underestimating and not respecting Dobson and Thompkins this year.

Another one I love: "Wright isn't really a good TE."  (Even though he had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever for a TE in the history of the NFL last year and only Vincent Jackson had better offensive numbers with who at QB?  Now he's on a Brady lead offense with Gronk on the other side.)

The only hope for the Colts is for the Pats to have injuries, the offensive line can't protect Brady and Ridley fumbling.  When you hear people say: "Gronk most likely won't be healthy" that says a lot.  Wasn't Gronk inured during the Colts/Pats game last year?

Pats biggest weakness is the Colts' biggest weakness as of right now = Offensive line.

And I bet they're going to lose to the Pats again this year in Indy.  Revis will shut down either Wayne (AGAIN) or TY.  They'll send a safety over to the other side of the field to double team the other WR.  They'll throw about 10 different schemes and looks at Luck.  Luck will be forced to have to throw into double coverage or at Revis' side.  Good luck with that.

Brady will drive down the field with the 10 weapons he has now.  Pats brought back their 2 tight end set.

How the heck are the Colts going to cover...

Edelman

Amendola

Dobson

Thompkins

LaFell

Tyms

Gronk

Wright

Hoomanawanui

And then shut down the Pats run game?  I'll believe it when I see it.

I really hope they're underestimating and not respecting Dobson and Thompkins this year.

Another one I love: "Wright isn't really a good TE."  (Even though he had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever for a TE in the history of the NFL last year and only Vincent Jackson had better offensive numbers with who at QB?  Now he's on a Brady lead offense with Gronk on the other side.)

The only hope for the Colts is for the Pats to have injuries, the offensive line can't protect Brady and Ridley fumbling.  When you hear people say: "Gronk most likely won't be healthy" that says a lot.  Wasn't Gronk inured during the Colts/Pats game last year?

Pats biggest weakness is the Colts' biggest weakness as of right now = Offensive line.

Newsflash, no one cares about the patriots.

Fixed in your mind. He is consistent tho, at throwing high and behind and still winning....weird.

Well if it's fixed in my mind then I'll fix it again.....

I am curious though, who would you have rather as our quarterback? Peyton? With our line issues and his impending retirement?

Offense needs to get a 2 score lead 9+

Defense needs to start and end regulation of 1st and 2nd half with 3 and outs (bookend frustration).  Pressure (Luck) - even if you don't sack.  Cause hurries - but maintain contain.  DL get hands up to deflect passes.  These things will increase the odds of INT's at worst and INCompletes at best.  If Denver can get pressure with 4 and the occasional 5 - they're front 7 should have their mission accomplished.  The Indy running game is nothing to fear as it stands now(but remains to be seen).  I suspect there will be a few safety blitzes that will come as a surprise.  But I don't see the Broncos blitzing much at all.

Special Teams/Overall Team Win the turnover battle.  This isn't rocket science.  It's one of the most influencial stats there are in NFL football.  Usually the winner of the TO battle wins the game. 

-not predicting anything just saying what I think it'll take(or help) to beat Luck.

Well if it's fixed in my mind then I'll fix it again.....

I am curious though, who would you have rather as our quarterback? Peyton? With our line issues and his impending retirement?

It's not asking for a QB change it's stating facts

Luck does have times of inaccurate passes, all QB's do

Preseason vs Saints he under threw Fleener and Kenny Vaccaro picked it off.

Luck makes bad decisions & bad throws at times, again..... All QB's do. The difference is how often they make them and do they correct them after making them

I would rather have a luck that throws an accurate ball. I never once said manning. You can keep fixing whatever you want, he still throws a lot of bad balls.

Wow touchy much? just trying to have a debate not trying to be a tough guy, relax bud I'm not saying anything here that I wouldn't say to anyone's face, far from a keyboard warrior!

Anyhow....in your first post you made it sound like Luck is a horrible qb and never completes a pass, far from the truth how the heck would we have made the playoffs the last couple of seasons? Our awesome running game? Top tier defense? I think not. And yes I brought up Manning out of curiousity on your position. How does luck fix the occasional bad throw? More time from Oline? More practice? Better routes by receivers? I never said he was perfect but he is still learning and far ahead of most in his position.

It's not asking for a QB change it's stating facts

Luck does have times of inaccurate passes, all QB's do

Preseason vs Saints he under threw Fleener and Kenny Vaccaro picked it off.

Luck makes bad decisions & bad throws at times, again..... All QB's do. The difference is how often they make them and do they correct them after making them

See Above ^