Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams release Michael Sam...

Sports Central1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam played excellent in the preseason. Dude put up 3 sacks. How he didn't make the team...I'll tell you why, Same reason Tebow doesn't play, the same reason Manziel wont get the start...Teams don't like media frenzies at their practices.

No..Rams were very strong in the line.

Michael Sam will go on the practice squad or he'll be picked up by another team.

Come on...we all know how the NFL works..

I guess Sam got exactly what he wanted.  He knew he wouldn't get a shot at the NFL based on his talent so he did the only thing he could, ask for special treatment because of his choices.

Him coming out actually hurt his draft chances. Most had him projected to go in the fourth round before he came out.

Him coming out actually hurt his draft chances. Most had him projected to go in the fourth round before he came out.

That would be a good point if it were true.  After his the combine, most sites had him as a 7th round to FA.  One season of production and a poor combine and a tweener who is too small to play DE and too slow to play OLB in the NFL is an UDFA.

Posted · Hidden by B-B, September 1, 2014 - Off Topic
Hidden by B-B, September 1, 2014 - Off Topic

Perhaps you can but you can't do it without sounding like one.

Now let me tell you about that big "plan". He didn't have any choice. The media uncovered that he was gay and they were going to make it public. He just beat them to the punch. I am sure he would have preferred to try and make the NFL without that extra burden so come down off of you soap box and get the facts straight.

Now let me tell you about that big "plan". He didn't have any choice. The media uncovered that he was gay and they were going to make it public. He just beat them to the punch. I am sure he would have preferred to try and make the NFL without that extra burden so come down off of you soap box and get the facts straight.

actually he did have a choice

actually he did have a choice

The choice was to announce himself or to wait and let the media do it. Or, are you suggesting that he had a choice about being gay? If that is the case, you need to do some serious research. All of the science says that decision is wired into the brain and an individual has no choice but to accept what he or she really is. Are you sure you want to continue this argument? You sound worse and worse with every post.

The choice was to announce himself or to wait and let the media do it. Or, are you suggesting that he had a choice about being gay? If that is the case, you need to do some serious research. All of the science says that decision is wired into the brain and an individual has no choice but to accept what he or she really is. Are you sure you want to continue this argument? You sound worse and worse with every post.

if he doesnt have a choice to be gay how will he handle himself in the shower ole blue?

UDFA Ethan Westbrooks outplayed Sam, not surprised at all

I can't say that I watched the competition as I didn't see nay Ram preseason games. That said , what I read was that it was pretty much dead even as to who outplayed who. Speculation was that Westbrooks was the more versatile and that's what tipped the scales. I have yet to read or hear anyone say that he was unfairly cut.

I guess Sam got exactly what he wanted.  He knew he wouldn't get a shot at the NFL based on his talent so he did the only thing he could, ask for special treatment because of his choices.

he never once asked for special treatment and he was being talked about as a draft prospect before he came out.

I think his combine hurt his draft more then his coming out.

id agree with that. That's what this was about in a lot of ways. He was draft prospect because of his play on the field. He feel in the draft because of workouts on the field. He got drafted because of what a team thought he could do on the field. He got cut because he wasn't one of the Rams best 53 on the field. The rest of the noise was just that noise.

That would be a good point if it were true.  After his the combine, most sites had him as a 7th round to FA.  One season of production and a poor combine and a tweener who is too small to play DE and too slow to play OLB in the NFL is an UDFA.

I think on some levels it is true. Tony Dungy said it himself he wouldn't have drafted Sam because of the distraction he brought with the media. I am sure Tony Dungy isn't the only coach in the NFL that felt that way, so from that aspect it might have hurt him.

With that said he feel in the draft because of his combine workout. I don't think he was helped or hurt that much by his lifestyle. I think most NFL teams looked at him the same way they do with most players, can he help us win games? That's what they care about. The lifestyle thing was much more important to the media and sports fans than I think it ever meant to teams. Sure some teams might have turned off by the attention he brought but had they felt he was the next Lawrence Taylor they would have put up with it in heart beat. He was a fringe player though so might have felt the attention wasn't worth putting up with. Still, his fate was decided by what he could and couldn't do on the field both in terms of how he got to the Rams and then released by he Rams.

I don't know about anyone else but I am completely sick of this story.  The Rams took a chance on the guy and he got beat out very badly.  I do not understand why ESPN and NFL Network are making the cutting of some marginal 7th draft choice one of their headline stories and keep repeating it every 15 minutes.  The Rams cut all 4 of their 7th rounders.  Almost every 7th rounder league wide was cut.  Why are they making such a big deal about this one?

I don't know about anyone else but I am completely sick of this story.  The Rams took a chance on the guy and he got beat out very badly.  I do not understand why ESPN and NFL Network are making the cutting of some marginal 7th draft choice one of their headline stories and keep repeating it every 15 minutes.  The Rams cut all 4 of their 7th rounders.  Almost every 7th rounder league wide was cut.  Why are they making such a big deal about this one?

He actually played pretty well. I am surprised someone didn't pick him up.

He actually played pretty well. I am surprised someone didn't pick him up.

You do know why though. Do you think any team would think an UDFA worthy of being signed to the PS is worth the media attention that comes with it? Lets think about it as a GM. Its not like a 1st or 2nd round pick that was let go. That was a big reason why Tebow went unclaimed after being let go by the Patriots and pretty much the same reason Michael Sam is unclaimed.

The media, by giving him the ESPY Courage Award, by placing all this attention on him, has done him a BIG disservice. I still think that ESPY Courage award was a big joke when guys like Jason Collins and that deaf player who made the Seahawks squad had all proven they could play against all odds and paved the way IMO, deserved that particular award more.

When objectivity is compromised by political correctness, you get results like what you have now in society and even in the NFL.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive/inappropriate
Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - offensive/inappropriate

I'm so glad the entire NFL stood-up to this clown/freak show and said NO. He tried to force himself onto an NFL roster, because of his "coming out, i kissed a liberal white man" display on draft day. Go to canada and stay there. BU BYE.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - quoting removed post

I'm so glad the entire NFL stood-up to this clown/freak show and said NO. He tried to force himself onto an NFL roster, because of his "coming out, i kissed a liberal white man" display on draft day. Go to canada and stay there. BU BYE.

Wow. Yeah, terrible post

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, September 2, 2014 - quoting removed post

You're awful, but you already knew that when you posted your hate-filled rag of a post to elicit reaction. Shame on me I took the bait, but I'm not going to let you spew your trash and not say anything about it.

He will be on a PS at some point. He has to get stronger though. Rams are short at Linebackers and Guards so there was not a good enough reason to keep around a undersized speed rusher whos not versatile enough to play DT or OLB and as for as the PS goes there are a couple DE's that are a bit more versatile then Sam

My gut feeling is that they did not expect that free agent Westbrook DL to play as well as he did to take the roster spot over Sam. Sam would have still made the roster if not for Westbrook, that is what I heard. There was still room for him as the 9th DL, a lot of teams carry 9 DLs but he was caught in a big numbers situation there. If he had gone somewhere else, he may have had a chance as the last DL, I felt and that is where the Rams did him a bit of disservice long term even though it felt like they helped him short term.

From what I'm reading that's pretty much it.  Sam played well but they had a UDFA who played better AND was also more versatile then Sam.  

Quite frankly though I'm somewhat surprised that Sam didn't get picked up on waivers.  

I have to think that someone will at least add him to their practice squad.  

12 players had 2.5 or more sacks this preseason. 10 are on 53-man rosters. One on practice squad. And last, Michael Sam, hasn't found work.

it all comes down to the media really can blame him but mostly media for always making things bigger than they are

This can be underrated too.  If you are a good player nothing is going to keep you from finding work other then your own actions (crimes and the like).  But if you are a borderline or on the bubble player like Sam is and Tebow was, carrying around a media storm behind you is just going to hurt you.  Does the people on top want the media showing up constantly trying to get an interview with their practice squad player much like they constantly wanted to interview the Jet's 3rd string QB?

I hope he finds a place, because the media storm is not really his fault.  The media should have just been like "Oh cool an openly gay player got drafted" and left it at that.  But they can't and the person who gets the worst end of the stick is Sam himself . . . at least in terms of a football career.  However the media attention could open up other opportunities for him...