Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams release Michael Sam...

Sports Central1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh stop. He was beat out. He was on the bubble. The Rams would have never drafted him if they were afraid of the media frenzie. And Tebow does not play because he can't play QB. Three teams took a flier on him and he was not even good enough to play back up. Manziel is on the Browns and has a 50/50 chance of starting this season depending on how Hoyer fairs.

I think Tim Tebow could be an effective back up qb...there are several teams that keep 3 active qbs and I can't imagine he is worse than several backups around the league. Sure he may not be a talented thrower but if I need someone to come off the bench and throw a wrench into an opposing team...Tebow would be my guy...he has great leadership ability and if you haven't gameplanned for him I think he can certainly give opposing teams headaches more so than Jeff Tuel or Drew Stanton. You don't have to change your gameplan to tee off against those guys...you just dial up the pressure...and you know they will be standing in the pocket. Tebow...hmm he will make you hesitate...think...and perhaps he will make enough plays to keep you in the game. Tebow is out of the league purely because of the media...nothing else. As bad as he is he wasn't the one that butt-fumbled...there are worse QBs holding a clipboard.

As for Sam, he showed enough that if he continues to work he can make a roster....he needs to do the small things....because you can't designate a spot to a backup pass rusher that does nothing else...he needs to be multipurposal. That said he has a great motor...I'm sure he will be on the practice squad and at some point somebody will give him a shot.

This can be underrated too.  If you are a good player nothing is going to keep you from finding work other then your own actions (crimes and the like).  But if you are a borderline or on the bubble player like Sam is and Tebow was, carrying around a media storm behind you is just going to hurt you.  Does the people on top want the media showing up constantly trying to get an interview with their practice squad player much like they constantly wanted to interview the Jet's 3rd string QB?

I hope he finds a place, because the media storm is not really his fault.  The media should have just been like "Oh cool an openly gay player got drafted" and left it at that.  But they can't and the person who gets the worst end of the stick is Sam himself . . . at least in terms of a football career.  However the media attention could open up other opportunities for him

just makes other player think before the come out now i actually dont care if gay or not shouldn't even need mentioning dont no why players come out and say it its ur personal life no one should need to no but think he will end up somewhere eventually especially with injuries

What type of d-lineman is Michael Sam specifically? Is he like the typical Giants 4-3 defensive ends like Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck?

If the Pats were using a 4-3 this year I wouldn't mind Michael Sam trying out for the Pats.

He's a one dimensional pass rusher. I've heard he has one great move, but no effective counter that he'll need to get past starting caliber lineman at the nfl level.

Well, at least he was honest about it but I saw it as more of a publicity grab.

Sometimes it's better to just bite your lip about personal life choices. I mean heck Marvin played for us all those years while hardly speaking a word. We now know what baggage he was "carrying" after the fact.

Stephen A Smith on First Take just talked how the league called several teams, including the Cowboys, about picking up Michael Sam if possible.  If this information is true then I think it is beyond despicable!  How many other 7th rounders who have been cut have league officers lobbying for them to make a practice squad?  What makes this guy so special that he simply has to be on a practice squad at the expense of some other player who was better (simply because he made the squad on his own and Sam did not)?  If this whole experiment is supposed to be about "fairness" then why is it being handled so unfairly?

ITT people who think a 4-3 end would fulfill a need for San Fran at OLB... Wow.

Unless you're a scout with an eye for this sort of thing, saying that he absolutely couldn't transition to a 3-4 OLB is every bit as ridiculous as suggesting that it's a good fit for him.  It's important not to forget that most of the better 3-4 OLBs out there got their start as 4-3 ends.

Signed to Dallas PS

9382.jpg

Cowboys signed DE Michael Sam to their practice squad.

He'll practice with his new teammates Wednesday as preparations begin for Sunday's game against the 49ers. He's landed in an ideal spot to eventually crack the active roster. Dallas is absolutely desperate for D-Line talent, and is also woefully thin there. The 2013 co-Defensive Player of the Year in the SEC, Sam produced two sacks and three quarterback hurries on 133 preseason snaps per PFF. Already the first openly gay man to be drafted in the NFL, he's bidding to become the first to play in a regular season game.

Stephen A Smith on First Take just talked how the league called several teams, including the Cowboys, about picking up Michael Sam if possible.  If this information is true then I think it is beyond despicable!  How many other 7th rounders who have been cut have league officers lobbying for them to make a practice squad?  What makes this guy so special that he simply has to be on a practice squad at the expense of some other player who was better (simply because he made the squad on his own and Sam did not)?  If this whole experiment is supposed to be about "fairness" then why is it being handled so unfairly?

Don't ever trust Smith. I don't understand how he's still on the air.

Unless you're a scout with an eye for this sort of thing, saying that he absolutely couldn't transition to a 3-4 OLB is every bit as ridiculous as suggesting that it's a good fit for him. It's important not to forget that most of the better 3-4 OLBs out there got their start as 4-3 ends.

He has very few traits that would translate and his abilities don't. I don't need to be a scout to know such things.