Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 surprise/sleeper team [Merge]

CR91

I know you guys love Atlanta cause their your little beacon of hope of someone beating the Saints, but their playoff record alone answers for itself. Take away Pete Carroll's horrible timeout at the kick and Matty Ice (heart melting chokefests) would still be winless in the playoffs.

The Atlant threads on this forum are endless

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um.......suprises:

-49ers and Panthers do not make playoffs....heck my cousin is a Panthers fan and is not even sure they make the playoffs this season lol.

-Giants and Rams MAKE the playoffs.

-Texans win no more then 5 to 7 games with many crowning them darlings this offseason.

-Saints and Packers battle for best record in NFC all year

-Broncos go one and done

-Patriots, Colts, Steelers fight for the two bye weeks in the playoffs

Detroit is a much better team with weapons on offense other than just Calvin Johnson. They added to a already young group of pass catchers with the likes of T.J. Jones, Golden Tate, and Erick Ebron. In 2012 they had 4 wins, 2013 they had 7... and in 2014 they could make a run. If all goes well that team could and/or should stomp their opponents. Not just Suh.

Arizona Cardinals make the playoffs this year and give the Seahawks a run for their money.

Totally agree I could see Seattle being the team that is left out in that division this year can't really expect to get more than 2 in the playoffs. SF and AZ. Wilson could easily take a step back and they have lost some players.

mine is the vikings. I believe they finally got a good QB in teddy bridgewater. obviously his pro day dropped his stock, but he has the tools to be a good qb in this league and hes the perfect compliment for peterson as his speed will keep defenses honest. also they have who I think will be a star in this league in patterson. you get this kid in space and he can do great things. mike zimmer who imo is the most underated coach in this league and im happy he finally got a HC job will get that defense consistently in the top 10 

I would agree with you, but you also need to realize that they are not playing in a dome for the next 2 years, and that Minnesota weather is brutal.That can really affect a team, especially with a young QB as Bridgewater.

Vikings - even if they don't turn out to be good, I'm betting on a massive over achievement type 1st season for the new regime. Teams often respond well when fans get behind them in a bad situation regarding their home field, weather etc. Also, it's a law that somebody has to step up and goe a fraudulent 10-6 in the NFC North every year so Aaron Rodgers can continue to be heralded as the greatest quarterback ever even though his playoff record is going to be 5-12 1 day lol

Jags - they can make a .500 season out of it IMO

I'm going with Jacksonville as one of the surprises. I don't think they'll head into the playoffs, but I'm predicting that the team will have at least a .500 record or close. I see them as being much improved this season and playing some tough games. Even when they had a losing record, they almost beat some playoff teams. I'm going to be watching them closely.

Vikings - even if they don't turn out to be good, I'm betting on a massive over achievement type 1st season for the new regime. Teams often respond well when fans get behind them in a bad situation regarding their home field, weather etc. Also, it's a law that somebody has to step up and goe a fraudulent 10-6 in the NFC North every year so Aaron Rodgers can continue to be heralded as the greatest quarterback ever even though his playoff record is going to be 5-12 1 day lol

Jags - they can make a .500 season out of it IMO

Didn't you predict 3 wins for the Vikings in another thread? If 3-13 is a "massive over achievement type first season for the new regime", we are in a lot of trouble. Lol.

We hope to see more disciplined play, an improved defense and development of our young guys (7 first round picks in last 3 years). We all want Bridgewater to start. I don't expect the Vikings to make the playoffs; so, the record will not matter much to me.

Didn't you predict 3 wins for the Vikings in another thread? If 3-13 is a "massive over achievement type first season for the new regime", we are in a lot of trouble. Lol.

We hope to see more disciplined play, an improved defense and development of our young guys (7 first round picks in last 3 years). We all want Bridgewater to start. I don't expect the Vikings to make the playoffs; so, the record will not matter much to me.

Hey, you never know, they made it a couple years back with Ponder at QB. If Bridgewater does start and he can play good football and A.D. stays healthy, the Vikings might be able to sneak into the postseason. Mike Zimmer is a good coach.

Every team in the AFC South. They were so bad last year, they have to get better. Two of them switched head coaches. Two of them have new QBs (or will). The Texans severely underperformed, but still have a strong roster. The Titans looked good with Locker, but he has to stay healthy. The Jags have added some nice players the last couple years, and I like Gus Bradley's approach. The Colts are still the best team, easily, but I think the Texans and Titans are both good enough to make the playoffs.

agreed

Hey, you never know, they made it a couple years back with Ponder at QB. If Bridgewater does start and he can play good football and A.D. stays healthy, the Vikings might be able to sneak into the postseason. Mike Zimmer is a good coach.

Thanks, Qwiz. We hope you're right. I like Zimmer and hope he helps improve our defense which was very bad last year. If it does not improve dramatically, it won't matter how Bridgewater/Cassel and the rest of the offense play.

I am more optimistic about your team, given your defense which should be top 5 in the league, barring injury to key guys. I am looking forward to seeing who wins the starting QB job. I hope Keenum gets it but he probably will not. (Did BOB name Fitz the starter??) The Andre Johnson situation will work itself out. I agree with the team's decision not to trade him because once the season starts, I think he will act like the pro he always has been. Several months ago I thought Houston would be the surprise team. Your team still might be.

Keep us informed on training camp news. I see that Princeton Tiger started a thread.

Thanks, Qwiz. We hope you're right. I like Zimmer and hope he helps improve our defense which was very bad last year. If it does not improve dramatically, it won't matter how Bridgewater/Cassel and the rest of the offense play.

I am more optimistic about your team, given your defense which should be top 5 in the league, barring injury to key guys. I am looking forward to seeing who wins the starting QB job. I hope Keenum gets it but he probably will not. (Did BOB name Fitz the starter??) The Andre Johnson situation will work itself out. I agree with the team's decision not to trade him because once the season starts, I think he will act like the pro he always has been. Several months ago I thought Houston would be the surprise team. Your team still might be.

Keep us informed on training camp news. I see that Princeton Tiger started a thread.

Agreed, if he can utilize those free agent defensive additions as well as the ones in the Draft, including the versatile Anthony Barr, then the defense should be much better than last year. Zimmer worked wonders for that Cincinnati defense so I think he can turn the Vikings' around much sooner rather than later.

Yeah, BOB already named Fitzpatrick the starter, which surprised me at the time (him naming the starter so early, not who it turned out to be). It does make sense though and now the job is Fitz's to lose. I'm also glad we didn't trade Andre. :) Hopefully things are worked out, because he isn't the type to sit out disgruntled for an entire season. The defense speaks for itself and that's what most fans are excited about here.

I'm glad PT started the TC thread, it's fun to stay updated on all the teams and what everyone is doing. I'll keep you in the know, hopefully no injury news haha

Lol yep I did...but my dig at the Packers still stands whether that prediction happens or this one.

I hate saying this, because I truly despise this team, but the Jets will be the surprise team this year.They were 8-8 with just average RB's..(Powell and Ivory), and now have Chris Johnson, who I think may have a breakout year for Ryan and the Jets. The talent is still there, and they have one of the best O-Lines in football. As long as he stays healthy, Vick is a weapon, whether you like him or not, and Smith can learn from him, if that is the way they go. Their D isn't that bad, so I could see an improvement over 8-8 and POSSIBLY a run at NE for the division title.

I really like the Bears but I just can't fit them in the playoffs.

I don't like the Lions under Caldwell.

I like Tampa but I need at least a year to consider them a playoff contender.

Bridgewater wins ROY and Vikes go .500.

Atlanta and Houston both bounce back, winning the playoffs.  Making the playoffs. My bad.

Miami goes 2-14 and holds the first overall pick.

I don't know, they came pretty close last year lol. But Rivers is a very good quarterback and he and that offense will be one heck of a force again I think. They matched up pretty well with the Broncos in 2013, we'll see if they can build on that this year.

Bingo! The Chargers are posed to do some serious damage. I agree QuizBoy. I will not dethrone the Broncos right now, but the AFC West Division Crown will be tight this year. 

Bingo! The Chargers are posed to do some serious damage. I agree QuizBoy. I will not dethrone the Broncos right now, but the AFC West Division Crown will be tight this year. 

Yeah, it may seem ludicrous to dethrone them after the season they had but I can definitely see it happening. The Chiefs are no cakewalk either, but I'm a big believer in the Chargers.

Hey, you never know, they made it a couple years back with Ponder at QB. If Bridgewater does start and he can play good football and A.D. stays healthy, the Vikings might be able to sneak into the postseason. Mike Zimmer is a good coach.

Yep, I can't wait to see how quickly he turns the Vikings around. I'm sold on Zimmer too man!  :thmup:

Yeah, it may seem ludicrous to dethrone them after the season they had but I can definitely see it happening. The Chiefs are no cakewalk either, but I'm a big believer in the Chargers.

Broncos in my mind got a lot stronger than last year.

I have a feeling Chargers will have an off year. I am actually curious about Raiders with all those SB winnings veterans.

Broncos in my mind got a lot stronger than last year.

I have a feeling Chargers will have an off year. I am actually curious about Raiders with all those SB winnings veterans.

Well they certainly added some pieces. But so did the Chargers. And the season is not decided on paper so we have to see these guys produce but I still think it comes down to the Chargers and Broncos. The Raiders are intriguing though, but with their injury prone runningbacks they're going to have to rely on Schaub, which may not be a good thing in the West.

Well they certainly added some pieces. But so did the Chargers. And the season is not decided on paper so we have to see these guys produce but I still think it comes down to the Chargers and Broncos. The Raiders are intriguing though, but with their injury prone runningbacks they're going to have to rely on Schaub, which may not be a good thing in the West.

Yeah Schaub is the weak link

I hate saying this, because I truly despise this team, but the Jets will be the surprise team this year.They were 8-8 with just average RB's..(Powell and Ivory), and now have Chris Johnson, who I think may have a breakout year for Ryan and the Jets. The talent is still there, and they have one of the best O-Lines in football. As long as he stays healthy, Vick is a weapon, whether you like him or not, and Smith can learn from him, if that is the way they go. Their D isn't that bad, so I could see an improvement over 8-8 and POSSIBLY a run at NE for the division title.

Smith can learn what not to do from Michael Vick

Seeing as how TC's are underway and pads are not even on yet I thought today would be a good idea to get everyones Sleeper Team, A team that did not make the playoffs last year but for whatever reason you could see making it this year in some capacity be it WC or division winner......I'll start.......Oakland Raiders...Reason? A bit of a revamped D Line, A solid QB...yet not great, Added a very good Lamarr Woodley plus Khalil Mack and MJD and McFadden can split carries and they upgraded there WR corp with the addition of James Jones

Jets. They improved their offense substantially with the additions of Eric Decker, Jace Amaro and Chris Johnson. They added a potential play-maker in the backfield in Calvin Pryor. They have one of the best D-lines in the NFL. They went 8-8 last season even with Geno Smith playing terribly, so even with a slight progression on his part, I could see that defense taking them to 10-6 in that terrible division. 

Tampa.

They signed Josh McCown and got the kind of receivers he thrived with in Chicago.- Mike Evans and VJax. ASJ is a very good target at TE. Doug Martin out of the backfield who can run and catch. A very talented OL.

On D, they are very talented, Lavonte David and Gerald McCoy being some of the elite at their position, a young and talented secondary, and don't forget Lovie Smith there.

They can contend for the division title.

I have two of them

My surprise disappointment team - Seattle  - No playoffs. 

Defense gets exposed and sets record for penalty yardage due to league emphasis on illegal contact and pass interference making their "interfere as often as you can since the refs won't call all of them" strategy a liability.

My biggest surprise - Denver - 19-0

Repeat of 1972 Dolphins perfect season following a big Super Bowl loss.