Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 surprise/sleeper team [Merge]

CR91

My biggest surprise - Denver - 19-0

Repeat of 1972 Dolphins perfect season following a big Super Bowl loss.

If the Colt's can't win the super bowl, I wouldn't mind Denver pulling off an 18 game win streak.  I want them to have at least one loss, though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two of them

My surprise disappointment team - Seattle  - No playoffs. 

Defense gets exposed and sets record for penalty yardage due to league emphasis on illegal contact and pass interference making their "interfere as often as you can since the refs won't call all of them" strategy a liability.

Pretty strong odds that neither of them happen :).

Yeah, it may seem ludicrous to dethrone them after the season they had but I can definitely see it happening. The Chiefs are no cakewalk either, but I'm a big believer in the Chargers.

I have a really hard time seeing anyone other than Denver winning that division.  Since 1999, Peyton Manning led teams have won their division 10 times and were a WC team at least 2 other times.  If Manning is healthy, the odds are in his favor.

I have a really hard time seeing anyone other than Denver winning that division.  Since 1999, Peyton Manning led teams have won their division 10 times and were a WC team at least 2 other times.  If Manning is healthy, the odds are in his favor.

Yeah, but those stats right there show that while another team winning the division isn't very likely, it can also be done. And the Chargers have a team that's ready to win now with Phillip Rivers still playing top-notch football. They lost by one score in each of their two losses to the Broncos (one in the postseason) and we all know that that team seems to always have Manning's number. I'm not saying that it is a sure thing but the Chargers are my pick in the West, with the Broncos being a sure wild card. I don't see them straight up missing the postseason at any rate.

Yeah, but those stats right there show that while another team winning the division isn't very likely, it can also be done. And the Chargers have a team that's ready to win now with Phillip Rivers still playing top-notch football. They lost by one score in each of their two losses to the Broncos (one in the postseason) and we all know that that team seems to always have Manning's number. I'm not saying that it is a sure thing but the Chargers are my pick in the West, with the Broncos being a sure wild card. I don't see them straight up missing the postseason at any rate.

The Chiefs could also take the West as well.

I would say it is the toughest. I know the North will be competitive but all those teams are a step below the Western teams IMO.

A point could definitely be made for the West, especially after this offseason. I know a lot of people expect the Steelers to bounce back and for Flacco to thrive once again under a new coordinator and well, the Bengals are the Bengals but you're right in that the Western teams seem to have the upper hand. I know that I am glad that the South is playing the North this year instead for sure haha

Darn it you guys, QUIT talking nice about my Chargers - ignore them, there's nothing to see here ;-)  

Last year we had some good players with some gaping holes and managed to pull it out by playing as a team.  We were paper thin with no depth.  Our offensive line had something like 17 different configurations that played over the season and still protected Rivers finishing 4th I believe over all in sack prevention.  Considering we started the year with no proven LT and a rookie RT... not bad.

This year we're deeper in almost every postion and especially at cornerback where we previously flat out sucked.  We've upgraded a lot of our positional back ups and that can be all the difference in the world.  Thank you Tom Telesco.  

We have the toughest schedule I've seen in years with us playing the NFC West - yikes.  But if we make it through we'll be more than ready for the playoffs.  Making the playoffs playing crappy teams doesn't help you in the long run.

I'm no good at predicting other teams' play so I'll just leave off with I'm excited for this year and hope most teams over look us or underestimate us.  

Dallas Cowboys go 10-6 and make the playoffs. 

Part of me would like to see that BCC just show I can see Romo & company get knocked off in post season round 1. LOL! 

Okay, to be fair, if Dallas makes the Playoffs; I will personally congratulate him on the forum since I do love to slam that franchise a lot. I owe him that if Tony pulls it off that is.

Personally, I love the Big Apple G-Men in that division because of Eli Manning, JPP, & GM Jerry Reese. Go Blue Baby!  :thmup:

Darn it you guys, QUIT talking nice about my Chargers - ignore them, there's nothing to see here ;-)  

Last year we had some good players with some gaping holes and managed to pull it out by playing as a team.  We were paper thin with no depth.  Our offensive line had something like 17 different configurations that played over the season and still protected Rivers finishing 4th I believe over all in sack prevention.  Considering we started the year with no proven LT and a rookie RT... not bad.

This year we're deeper in almost every postion and especially at cornerback where we previously flat out sucked.  We've upgraded a lot of our positional back ups and that can be all the difference in the world.  Thank you Tom Telesco.  

We have the toughest schedule I've seen in years with us playing the NFC West - yikes.  But if we make it through we'll be more than ready for the playoffs.  Making the playoffs playing crappy teams doesn't help you in the long run.

I'm no good at predicting other teams' play so I'll just leave off with I'm excited for this year and hope most teams over look us or underestimate us.  

GFT, 

Your 1st line was hilarious BTW!  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  After what the Chargers achieved this past season, there is no sneaking up on anybody this year I'm afraid.

Here's an idea: Make the team wear their powder blue throw back jerseys all year long because they play "lights out" [shawne Merriman joke] in those uniforms & I've never seen em lose wearing those colors.

Can you say "powder blue" SB or bust?"  :hat:

So, just to be clear, the more derogatory & unflattering we are about the Chargers the better they will play? I just wanna know what the winning San Diego formula is. Just Kidding! 

Part of me would like to see that BCC just show I can see Romo & company get knocked off in post season round 1. LOL! 

Okay, to be fair, if Dallas makes the Playoffs; I will personally congratulate him on the forum since I do love to slam that franchise a lot. I owe him that if Tony pulls it off that is.

Personally, I love the Big Apple G-Men in that division because of Eli Manning, JPP, & GM Jerry Reese. Go Blue Baby!  :thmup:

I am a big Dez Bryant fan, DeMarco Murray is a stud as well. Brandon Carr and Moris Claiborne both have talent, and who knows if they will every uncover it, and they signed Melton which I liked. But hey, its a sleeper team for a reason  :D

Guest nflfan014

Give me what you're smoking.  With Denver's schedule, they'll be lucky to even beat out San Diego or Kansas City for the division. 

GFT, 

Your 1st line was hilarious BTW!  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  After what the Chargers achieved this past season, there is no sneaking up on anybody this year I'm afraid.

Here's an idea: Make the team wear their powder blue throw back jerseys all year long because they play "lights out" [shawne Merriman joke] in those uniforms & I've never seen em lose wearing those colors.

Can you say "powder blue" SB or bust?"  :hat:

So, just to be clear, the more derogatory & unflattering we are about the Chargers the better they will play? I just wanna know what the winning San Diego formula is. Just Kidding! 

I don't know what I want, LOL!  But it makes me nervous when people start talking up our boys - past history is good press = bad results for the season.  But then we have better character players now, fingers crossed!

By the way, Freeney was back today and looking great.  He was almost giggling about the defensive players Tom Telesco picked up in the off season and commented that that wasn't exactly the case at Indy where the offensive side got most of the attention.  

I don't know what I want, LOL!  But it makes me nervous when people start talking up our boys - past history is good press = bad results for the season.  But then we have better character players now, fingers crossed!

By the way, Freeney was back today and looking great.  He was almost giggling about the defensive players Tom Telesco picked up in the off season and commented that that wasn't exactly the case at Indy where the offensive side got most of the attention.  

I respect your honesty GFT. Philip River turned a corner the way he played the Broncos so tough in the game prior to the AFC Championship Game this past season. Rivers & Company are due to make a large step forward starting in September. 

Thank you for your kind words about Dwight Freeney who can still get it done BTW. I also hope RB Donald Brown does good things for your club too. Woodhead & Brown are a nice tag team duo & they sound like a lethal defense attorney firm as well. LOL!  I may have been tough on Donald in INDY, but I do respect the guy & I want nothing but good fortunate for him to come his way in California. Both Freeney & Brown deserve that. 

I must admit the Chargers are my dark horse team this year to do some serious damage in the NFL along with INDY. I'd love to see the Colts vs the Chargers in the AFC Championship Game actually, but I also know how darn good Denver & NE are too so it's gonna be a dogfight this year in the AFC. 

Plus, I need to see what Bill O'Brien does in Houston too. Yes, I bleed INDY blue & I always will, but JJ Watt is my alma mater Badger boy too & I want him to get a ring just not by beating INDY to get to the SB though. 

I am a big Dez Bryant fan, DeMarco Murray is a stud as well. Brandon Carr and Moris Claiborne both have talent, and who knows if they will every uncover it, and they signed Melton which I liked. But hey, its a sleeper team for a reason  :D

Yes, even I a Cowboys hater can't deny that BCC. Bryant & Murray are extremely talented. I have to go purge myself of this Dallas praise fest...1st Romo, then Bryant, & now Murray...Something is seriously wrong with SW1. All this Dallas praise is just wrong. LOL! 

Dallas's problem is their HC Jason Garret. He was average QB in his day,but not the best sideline administrator or play caller IMHO. That's why Dallas stumbles so much they give up on the run too early, throw more than they should, & fail to use the run to maintain leads & bleed the 4th qtr clock. JMO.

Okay yes, their defense sucks which forces Tony to throw in order to win games in the end. Secretly, I bet Jerry Jones wishes that he had not fired Rob Ryan as their DC. Dallas's stupidity was the New Orleans Saints gain no doubt about it. 

OK, how about this. Since 2003, a Manning led team has won their division 9 out of 11 times. The only time they did not win was 2008 when they still won 12 games and got the wild card. The other time was2011 when he was out the entire year, which I guess really means it was not a Manning led team.

The AFC Wes goes through Denver as good as SD may be.

OK, how about this. Since 2003, a Manning led team has won their division 9 out of 11 times. The only time they did not win was 2008 when they still won 12 games and got the wild card. The other time was2011 when he was out the entire year, which I guess really means it was not a Manning led team.

The AFC Wes goes through Denver as good as SD may be.

I don't see why you're harping on this. Manning like I have already pointed out is beatable. Seattle was all too happy to show that as well. The Chargers, likewise, beat Denver once and came within one score of beating them the other times they played. I'm not saying that Denver is not a good squad. That is apparent to everyone. Still, that doesn't make Denver untouchable. Sure, Denver may be your pick, but I am a firm believer in Rivers and the Chargers. So, in my opinion, the West goes through San Diego. You don't have to like my opinion and throw every stat you want out there but it is that, my opinion. Clearly we disagree and that's fine.

I don't see why you're harping on this. Manning like I have already pointed out is beatable. Seattle was all too happy to show that as well. The Chargers, likewise, beat Denver once and came within one score of beating them the other times they played. I'm not saying that Denver is not a good squad. That is apparent to everyone. Still, that doesn't make Denver untouchable. Sure, Denver may be your pick, but I am a firm believer in Rivers and the Chargers. So, in my opinion, the West goes through San Diego. You don't have to like my opinion and throw every stat you want out there but it is that, my opinion. Clearly we disagree and that's fine.

Not harping and frankly don't care because it is not the Colts.  Just simply saying that the odds are very much against the Chargers given the vast amount of history & evidence presented. 

Not harping and frankly don't care because it is not the Colts.  Just simply saying that the odds are very much against the Chargers given the vast amount of history & evidence presented. 

Well, this is a thread about surprise teams and for some reason out of all the absurd things stated, my post about the Broncos was the one that bothered you lol. But last year's evidence says the Chargers have a chance. I guess we'll find out in a few months.

Guest nflfan014

It seems like a lot of Colts fans also root for Denver, so it's like "Oh even if we don't win, at least Peyton has a chance."  That's more so being a fan of a player.

It seems like a lot of Colts fans also root for Denver, so it's like "Oh even if we don't win, at least Peyton has a chance."  That's more so being a fan of a player.

So what? People are fans of whatever they want to be fans of, to whatever degree they choose.

Guest nflfan014

So what? People are fans of whatever they want to be fans of, to whatever degree they choose.

I guess I don't understand it.  When Pedro left the Red Sox and Paul Pierce left the Celtics, I didn't follow either to their new teams even though I was just as much of a fan of both when they were in Boston as some people were/are with Peyton.  Players come and go, Brady included if he were to ever get traded or sign with another team.

I guess I don't understand it.  When Pedro left the Red Sox and Paul Pierce left the Celtics, I didn't follow either to their new teams even though I was just as much of a fan of both when they were in Boston as some people were/are with Peyton.  Players come and go, Brady included if he were to ever get traded or sign with another team.

We get it, you Boston fans are hardcore.

People have their own motivations as fans. Why question it?