Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Browner to Patriots

NFL Network says Brandon Browner is a Patriot. USA Today and ESPN say he is not.

Brandon Browner has spread the word to those close to him that he has agreed with the #Patriots. Thus, my report that he has agreed.

Honestly, this sounds like Browner is happy with what the #Patriots offered and his agent thinks he can get more money from NE. We'll see...

A well-placed Patriots source: "Browner wants to be in NE, I think we are close, but it's a tough deal to do because of suspension, etc."

It is close. I hope they get it down as this would give the Pats one of the best secondaries, if not the best secondary in the league. I love his size too. Word is he would play strong safety.

He was terrible at safety in Seattle.

I think NE should be more worried about that 30th ranked rush defense. Revis already has given them the best secondary in football...not sure Browner is an upgrade over what they already have but can't hurt. They also have lost again their best wr so they have work to do there. Still...the rich get richer...and already a hands down favorite to repeat their division.

I think NE should be more worried about that 30th ranked rush defense. Revis already has given them the best secondary in football...not sure Browner is an upgrade over what they already have but can't hurt. They also have lost again their best wr so they have work to do there. Still...the rich get richer...and already a hands down favorite to repeat their division.

I think they will address the Dline in the draft not FA. Not great guys out there to be had and they need to get younger. They did resign Tommy Kelly which has gone completely under the radar. He was Vince's back up last year before getting hurt. And of course they got the young guys too who played well in Vince's absence especially done the stretch - Vellano, Chris Jones and Siliga. And also their run defense suffered not just from losing Vince but Mayo too who will return from injury.

I think they will address the Dline in the draft not FA. Not great guys out there to be had and they need to get younger. They did resign Tommy Kelly which has gone completely under the radar. He was Vince's back up last year before getting hurt. And of course they got the young guys too who played well in Vince's absence especially done the stretch - Vellano, Chris Jones and Siliga. And also their run defense suffered not just from losing Vince but Mayo too who will return from injury.

Oh I understand...you guys and Denver are like 1a and 1b as far as class of the conference. You have few weaknesses...just the run defense is still pretty glaring. Losing Wilfork isn't going to help..it was a main reason it suffered last year..and Spikes was your best run stopping lb even with his other weaknesses. You will address it but it is still an area I think would get greater focus instead of a strength in the secondary.

Oh I understand...you guys and Denver are like 1a and 1b as far as class of the conference. You have few weaknesses...just the run defense is still pretty glaring. Losing Wilfork isn't going to help..it was a main reason it suffered last year..and Spikes was your best run stopping lb even with his other weaknesses. You will address it but it is still an area I think would get greater focus instead of a strength in the secondary.

Yeah, I think they will address it just not in FA. We didn't lose to the Broncos because of our run defense which played well down the stretch and in the post-season, we lost because of our pass defense. And I think after watching Seattle completely shut down Denver in the SB, the Pats know they have to have a top secondary which has led to the Revis signing and potentially Browner. They also cut Gregory at safety so that is a need too.

Am I the only one who is less concerned about our defense than I am about our offense? 

No you're not! 

Obviously health means everything, but if they're close to 100%, I think this will be a nasty D to face come September. 

On offense though, all they've really done so far is lose parts. I'm sure they'll address some needs still. But it seems like they're banking on the development of those second-year guys (Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce) and that's always a guessing game. 

Am I the only one who is less concerned about our defense than I am about our offense? 

Why? Last year the Pats offense was ranked third in points. And that was after losing every single weapon Brady had the previous season. I do want to see them get another TE and a WR but the pass defense had to be the #1 priority and I am glad it was so far into the off-season. It is only March 14 and we will see where Edelman ends up and if they sign or trade for another receiver. I expect them to draft a TE, maybe two. I did like the young guys on the outside as well and hope they can make a leap in year two the way both Gronk and Hernandez did in 2011.

So who should they have been after?

No you're not! 

Obviously health means everything, but if they're close to 100%, I think this will be a nasty D to face come September. 

On offense though, all they've really done so far is lose parts. I'm sure they'll address some needs still. But it seems like they're banking on the development of those second-year guys (Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce) and that's always a guessing game. 

I dunno if this all pans out but if it does- about time they stopped the ball going over their heads :)

Current offense as dismal as it might be at times can win if there was a high stop D ;)

So who should they have been after?

Oh I've liked your moves...I don't know if you have the money but I was expecting you to make a run and Red Bryant or Henry Melton or someone of that ilk....maybe a Raji if you thought you could have returned him to form. I also expected you to go after someone like Steve Smith if you weren't bringing Edelman back. Honestly, I would think someone like James Jones would have been right up your alley. All that said I don't know anything...definately compared to NE front office...those guys are the best. I'm sure a lot will be addressed in the draft or perhaps a trade...you guys do those good too.

Wait... he is suspended for four more games? That makes this signing kind of odd to me.

The Pats only care about the last 4 games...that said I'm not sure this guy has a lot to offer...he was not good when he left the Seahawks...but if he finds his form....yikes thats some big tough corners.

The Pats only care about the last 4 games...that said I'm not sure this guy has a lot to offer...he was not good when he left the Seahawks...but if he finds his form....yikes thats some big tough corners.

I thought his suspension was served last year. Tthe man is now one positive test of any kind away from a major trouble. A big gamble, and we shall see if it pays off... or goes bust.

And the hits just keep coming. Love, love this signing. 3 year deal which is perfect. This is the type of size and hard hitting that the Pats defense has needed. There was some talk that he may play safety but now I am wondering if the Pats will play him at corner and may trade Dennard or demote him to back up. Not sure but it will be fun to see it play out. 

In terms of the suspension. It is kind of a crazy story but the NFL was penalizing him for when he was out of the league in the CFL because he was not being tested. His only violation was for weed. No PEDs like his other Hawk teammates. His camp tried to fight it but apparently just decided the least path to resistance was to just serve the 4 games. This isn't the same deal as Talib who had off-field issues with violence and so forth but the ramifications are the same in that one more violation and Browner is done for the season which is the same risk the Pats had with Talib for the last year and a half and he was a model citizen in NE. so good news there hopefully.

Here is Browner's classy response on being signed by the Pats:

Today, I am proud to announce that I am a New England Patriot. I am honored
that the Patriots are making me part of their legendary organization, and am
grateful for the opportunity Mr. Kraft, Coach Belichick, Nick Caserio and
the entire team have given me. I intend to diligently work with the same
passion and dedication that I have displayed since coming into the NFL to
uphold the great traditions and qualities that are embodied by the Patriots.
I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the Seattle Seahawks for giving a CFL
player the once in-a-lifetime opportunity to return to the NFL, making a
young boy's dream come true. To Coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, John
Idzik, Coach Richard, Rocky Seto, the LOB, my teammates, the training staff, the equipment guys the Seahawks organization as a whole and most importantly the 12th Man, I say thank you for everything you have done for myself and my family.
I am a truly blessed person.