Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Browner to Patriots

And the hits just keep coming. Love, love this signing. 3 year deal which is perfect. This is the type of size and hard hitting that the Pats defense has needed. There was some talk that he may play safety but now I am wondering if the Pats will play him at corner and may trade Dennard or demote him to back up. Not sure but it will be fun to see it play out.

In terms of the suspension. It is kind of a crazy story but the NFL was penalizing him for when he was out of the league in the CFL because he was not being tested. His only violation was for weed. No PEDs like his other Hawk teammates. His camp tried to fight it but apparently just decided the least path to resistance was to just serve the 4 games. This isn't the same deal as Talib who had off-field issues with violence and so forth but the ramifications are the same in that one more violation and Browner is done for the season which is the same risk the Pats had with Talib for the last year and a half and he was a model citizen in NE. so good news there hopefully.

Here is Browner's classy response on being signed by the Pats:

Today, I am proud to announce that I am a New England Patriot. I am honored

that the Patriots are making me part of their legendary organization, and am

grateful for the opportunity Mr. Kraft, Coach Belichick, Nick Caserio and

the entire team have given me. I intend to diligently work with the same

passion and dedication that I have displayed since coming into the NFL to

uphold the great traditions and qualities that are embodied by the Patriots.

I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the Seattle Seahawks for giving a CFL

player the once in-a-lifetime opportunity to return to the NFL, making a

young boy's dream come true. To Coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, John

Idzik, Coach Richard, Rocky Seto, the LOB, my teammates, the training staff, the equipment guys the Seahawks organization as a whole and most importantly the 12th Man, I say thank you for everything you have done for myself and my family.

I am a truly blessed person.

The problem is that Browner has been in trouble all along. He was in the CFL after Denver realesed him in 2006, and during that time Browner missed a number of drug tests which as a player would be part of the deal if he wanted to return. The NFL added him to a program... and then to top it all off Mr. Browner was suspended for ped as a Seahawk. The team claimed to have no idea he was in it which seems impossible to me, and another excuse by Carroll to let it slide. Then he followed that up with a failed test for weed that landed him an indefinite suspension that was reduce to a year.

This has bad move written all over it.

The problem is that Browner has been in trouble all along. He was in the CFL after Denver realesed him in 2006, and during that time Browner missed a number of drug tests which as a player would be part of the deal if he wanted to return. The NFL added him to a program... and then to top it all off Mr. Browner was suspended for ped as a Seahawk. The team claimed to have no idea he was in it which seems impossible to me, and another excuse by Carroll to let it slide. Then he followed that up with a failed test for weed that landed him an indefinite suspension that was reduce to a year.

This has bad move written all over it.

Browner was never suspended for PEDs. "On December 18, 2013, the NFL erroneously reported Browner was facing another suspension for again violating the NFL's performance enhancing drug rules. The suspension was later changed to reflect a substance abuse issue related to missing drug tests during the time Browner was undrafted by an NFL team, while playing football in the CFL, and prior to the Seahawks contract."

Not sure why he was penalized by the NFL for missing tests when he was in the CFL but he appealed and it was reduced to 4 games. He is MUCH less of a risk then Talib IMO. And without yet seeing the details of the contract, I am sure there are outs for the Pats should be slip up again.

The signing is awesome. As this is the type of big, enforcing player the Pats have needed bringing the wood.

Browner was never suspended for PEDs. "On December 18, 2013, the NFL erroneously reported Browner was facing another suspension for again violating the NFL's performance enhancing drug rules. The suspension was later changed to reflect a substance abuse issue related to missing drug tests during the time Browner was undrafted by an NFL team, while playing football in the CFL, and prior to the Seahawks contract."

Not sure why he was penalized by the NFL for missing tests when he was in the CFL but he appealed and it was reduced to 4 games. He is MUCH less of a risk then Talib IMO. And without yet seeing the details of the contract, I am sure there are outs for the Pats should be slip up again.

The signing is awesome. As this is the type of big, enforcing player the Pats have needed bringing the wood.

The erroneous test was for the last one alone. It was for weed, but was reported as his second for using ped's which would have been bigger... and a longer suspension.

Reading skills... you might want to work on them a bit.

The erroneous test was for the last one alone. It was for weed, but was reported as his second for using ped's which would have been bigger... and a longer suspension.

Reading skills... you might want to work on them a bit.

Yes weed. He has never been suspended for PEDs. Just for missing tests when he was in the CFL.

Read again. His only abuse was weed. Last year was for the missed tests which he appealed and won. Got 16 games down to 4.

No you need to look it up. I put the FACTS out there for you. Mr. Browner has played 36 games... and missed nearly half as many (after serving 4 more) for mostly drug related issues for both ped and otherwise.

The more you know.

No you need to look it up. I put the FACTS out there for you. Mr. Browner has played 36 games... and missed nearly half as many (after serving 4 more) for mostly drug related issues for both ped and otherwise.

The more you know.

Just re-read your post and you said 2012 my apologies. I thought you were referencing last season. 2012 was a four game for substance abuse. I was talking about last year and the indefinite suspension that was appealed and reduced for the missed tests during this CFL years. Still don't know how that works and how the NFL can suspend him when he was not playing in their league but maybe their testing is required for any pro league.

Just re-read your post and you said 2012 my apologies. I thought you were referencing last season. 2012 was a four game for substance abuse. I was talking about last year and the indefinite suspension that was appealed and reduced for the missed tests during this CFL years. Still don't know how that works and how the NFL can suspend him when he was not playing in their league but maybe their testing is required for any pro league.

No. 2012 was for ped's which he was suspended 4 games for doing. 2013 was for weed, (tied into his time as a Bronco because when he missed those tests they added him to stage 3 of the drug program) but he didn't serve his full suspension of 1 year. The league offered to reduce the suspension, but he declined it to try to get it fully overturned on the basis that it never should have happened... since he was only a Bronco while on IR. The league said no hence why they added 4 more games this year.

No. 2012 was for ped's which he was suspended 4 games for doing. 2013 was for weed, (tied into his time as a Bronco because when he missed those tests they added him to stage 3 of the drug program) but he didn't serve his full suspension of 1 year. The league offered to reduce the suspension, but he declined it to try to get it fully overturned on the basis that it never should have happened... since he was only a Bronco while on IR. The league said no hence why they added 4 more games this year.

Do you have links for any of this? Not saying I don't believe you but honestly, I have read and heard many conflicting things about his suspensions and appeals.

Still psyched to have him as the Pats did well with Talib who was also one strike away from a full season so have to think they will be Ok with Browner. Dennard is also one strike from suspension as well.

Do you have links for any of this? Not saying I don't believe you but honestly, I have read and heard many conflicting things about his suspensions and appeals.

Still psyched to have him as the Pats did well with Talib who was also one strike away from a full season so have to think they will be Ok with Browner. Dennard is also one strike from suspension as well.

The problem is no one article tells the whole story. There are two http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24310101/the-curious-case-of-brandon-browners-suspension , and http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/brandon-browner-chooses-the-patriots/ . The later goes a little further by discussing Browner dropping his litigation over the above issues in turn for reinstatement after he serves 4 more games for the last failed test. The NFL is indeed giving him a break as they said because he could have been out until December. He also remains one failure away from another year long suspension... and possibly the end of his career. 

I was on my phone earlier, and posting links is a pain that way.

The problem is no one article tells the whole story. There are two http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24310101/the-curious-case-of-brandon-browners-suspension , and http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/brandon-browner-chooses-the-patriots/ . The later goes a little further by discussing Browner dropping his litigation over the above issues in turn for reinstatement after he serves 4 more games for the last failed test. The NFL is indeed giving him a break as they said because he could have been out until December. He also remains one failure away from another year long suspension... and possibly the end of his career. 

I was on my phone earlier, and posting links is a pain that way.

Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to post the links. His story is cumbersome to say the least. Unfortunately, you have to deal with this type of stuff in the NFL and the Pats have shown to be an org that can handle problem cases, Hernandez not withstanding of course. Talib did fine here and of course Dennard has been fine and he is one strike away as well. The Pats also got him on a good deal precisely because he has had off-field issues. If he can stay the course then it is a win for everyone. If not then the Pats won't take that much of a hit.

Not sure why he was penalized by the NFL for missing tests when he was in the CFL but he appealed and it was reduced to 4 games. He is MUCH less of a risk then Talib IMO. And without yet seeing the details of the contract, I am sure there are outs for the Pats should be slip up again.

This player has Thug written all over him.  Kind of like Hernandez just on a different level.     :peek:  Not someone I would want on my team.      JMO  but we don't agree on players.  ;)

This player has Thug written all over him. Kind of like Hernandez just on a different level. :peek: Not someone I would want on my team. JMO but we don't agree on players. ;)

I don't think calling Browner a thug is right at all because he only hurts himself... and his team to a lesser extent. As a God fearing person (not to get too religious) I believe in forgiveness for people who make such bad choices in life. Hernandez may have taken one which puts that man on a whole nother plain.

I don't think calling Browner a thug is right at all because he only hurts himself... and his team to a lesser extent. As a God fearing person (not to get too religious) I believe in forgiveness for people who make such bad choices in life. Hernandez may have taken one which puts that man on a whole nother plain.

Your probably right my bad and thug is probably to harsh of word to use but I wouldn't want to take the chance on him.  Maybe the Pat's coach can get him straightened out. :dunno:

Yup, I wouldn't put Browner on the same level as that guy.

I also believe in second chances, I think Browner will redeem himself this time around, otherwise he is going to be done, once you are done with the Patriots, you are done for good.

yeah I think he walked thru the door labeled no return.

The three best teams in the AFC are leading the way in free agency thus far (Den, NE, Indy) I believe they'll give the "superior" NFC team a run for their money in the SB. As much as it pains me to say this, if NE lands Britt, they own free agency 2014. Still very happy with Grigs though

I believe the Seattle secondary is a product of two things. I believe they have the best safety tandem in the game, with Chancellor and Thomas, who is a stud. That helps CB's out a lot. Plus they have a great pass rush, and LB's who can run and get after it. I do believe Sherman is a stud, but Browner is not as good as everyone thinks. If you look at the money Patriots paid him, that is reflected. Plus the one year suspension hanging over his head if he tests positive one more time does not help. T.Y. flew past him once, and will do it again!

This player has Thug written all over him.  Kind of like Hernandez just on a different level.     :peek:  Not someone I would want on my team.      JMO  but we don't agree on players.  ;)

Always with the sunshine Susie. And I suggest you look up the definition of the word thug before applying it to someone.

Always with the sunshine Susie. And I suggest you look up the definition of the word thug before applying it to someone.

If you would have read my post # 57       Your probably right my bad and thug is probably to harsh of word to use but I wouldn't want to take the chance on him.  Maybe the Pat's coach can get him straightened out.  :dunno: 

Well I like sunshine so that doesn't bother me at all .  :)

Actually most Colts fans would love Browner.  If Browner was a Colt and put that hit on a Pats' receiver the way he did to Welker then the Colts fans would love it just like they loved Bob Sanders and they have LaRon Landry.  If Browner tested positive for some steroid then what is Landry using?  If you were to go over to the bodybuilding and fitness forums and talk to the prep coaches who train and prep bodybuilders and showed them photos of Landry I bet most of them would say he's using some form of PED.  And Landy is JACKED way more than Browner.

image.jpg

tumblr_mywlgtah1N1s5wvh5o1_1280.jpg

LaRonLandry2.jpg

And Browner is a thug?  I didn't know he was involved in shootings like Marvin Harrison...

The Curious Case of Marvin Harrison...

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.com/the-curious-case-of-marvin-harrison/

I notice how some Colts fans and their organization try so hard to paint themselves as good moral salt of the earth people who are the "good blue collared guys" of the mid west.  They get that nonsense from their owner and in some ways Tony Dungy.  It's that sort of Protestant Christian Tea Party mind set.

I also notice some Colts fans bringing up one game where TY beat Browner.  Well that was just one game, but also who hasn't TY smoked?  He is an elite receiver.  TY even had a decent if not good game against the Pats in the playoffs with Reggie Wayne out.  Steve Smith smoked Aquib Talib.  So is Talib going to get smoked by every elite receiver now?

And how do we know the Pats will put Browner on TY later this year when they play?  For all we know the Pats will put Revis on TY and put Browner on Wayne or Dennard on Wayne.  Wayne is a year older and coming off ACL surgery and no one knows for sure how he'll be during the season.  People want to keep harping on Gronk's ACL, well Wayne is 35 and will be 36 mid way through next season and Gronk will be 25.

At this point I would do this...

Revis on TY

Dennard or Browner on Wayne

Pats still have Logan Ryan and Kyle Arrington at CB.

I also notice some Colts fans bringing up one game where TY beat Browner. Well that was just one game, but also who hasn't TY smoked? He is an elite receiver. TY even had a decent if not good game against the Pats in the playoffs with Reggie Wayne out. Steve Smith smoked Aquib Talib. So is Talib going to get smoked by every elite receiver now?

And how do we know the Pats will put Browner on TY later this year when they play? For all we know the Pats will put Revis on TY and put Browner on Wayne or Dennard on Wayne. Wayne is a year older and coming off ACL surgery and no one knows for sure how he'll be during the season. People want to keep harping on Gronk's ACL, well Wayne is 35 and will be 36 mid way through next season and Gronk will be 25.

At this point I would do this...

Revis on TY

Dennard or Browner on Wayne

Pats still have Logan Ryan and Kyle Arrington at CB.

Uh oh, they're on to us. I was hoping that if our coaching staff kept calling T.Y. our number 3 receiver, than other coaching staffs would continue to play him as such haha. Really not a bad strategy you have, imo. Reggie won't be burning many people at this stage in his career, but I don't see Browner stopping him on any intermediate routes either.

Actually most Colts fans would love Browner. If Browner was a Colt and put that hit on a Pats' receiver the way he did to Welker then the Colts fans would love it just like they loved Bob Sanders and they have LaRon Landry. If Browner tested positive for some steroid then what is Landry using? If you were to go over to the bodybuilding and fitness forums and talk to the prep coaches who train and prep bodybuilders and showed them photos of Landry I bet most of them would say he's using some form of PED. And Landy is JACKED way more than Browner.

image.jpg

tumblr_mywlgtah1N1s5wvh5o1_1280.jpg

LaRonLandry2.jpg

And Browner is a thug? I didn't know he was involved in shootings like Marvin Harrison...

The Curious Case of Marvin Harrison...

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.com/the-curious-case-of-marvin-harrison/

I notice how some Colts fans and their organization try so hard to paint themselves as good moral salt of the earth people who are the "good blue collared guys" of the mid west. They get that nonsense from their owner and in some ways Tony Dungy. It's that sort of Protestant Christian Tea Party mind set.

Interesting you bring up the tea party considering the whole Boston Tea Party tie in. I think when you judge a group as a whole based on the actions of one person that is dangerous territory. In the end we are all fans of football... Granted the teams may be different, but we need to get along for the betterment of this forum. You need to drop the schtick, man.

Interesting you bring up the tea party considering the whole Boston Tea Party tie in. I think when you judge a group as a whole based on the actions of one person that is dangerous territory. In the end we are all fans of football... Granted the teams may be different, but we need to get along for the betterment of this forum. You need to drop the schtick, man.

I never said "ALL COLTS FANS", I just said some which can be said for all NFL teams.  Just calling out the little bit of hypocrisy is all.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I never said "ALL COLTS FANS", I just said some which can be said for all NFL teams. Just calling out the little bit of hypocrisy is all. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

You said some... but it doesn't matter. It is equally as dumb as the person who made the original comment about Browner. You are just coming from the opposite side which I have seen you do a lot. There was no need to even bring up Marvin Harrison, or Landry. This all reminds me of the stupid comments people left Richard Sherman calling him a thug on Twitter, but minus the added racial comments that went with it. So stop it all because you don't know these people outside of what they do on the field.

Tony Dungy has always been a stand up guy, and a Christian so I don't see how being like him could be a bad thing. No one is infallable. We all make mistake, and the difference is those who learn from them... and those who keep making them.