Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Vontae leaves/What to do with Vontae [Merge]

12isthenew18

Well you entitled to your opinion but I question an opinion of someone who says they think Vaughn is almost as good as Davis. 

And when they deactivated Vaughn in favor of Toler in the playoffs? How'd that work out?

Davis didnt do jack for us really. He was just average. Opposing QBs (some that are not even that good) would pick us apart week in and week out.

Im not saying he sucks, but the money needs to be better spent.

With Davis we know what we are getting. The defense needs to improve, not just more of the same.

A few years back you held the opinion of how important Gary Brackett was to our defense. Then when he was finally cut no other team even claimed him. Raheem Brock etc.

So I question your opinion also.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And when they deactivated Vaughn in favor of Toler in the playoffs? How'd that work out?

Davis didnt do jack for us really. He was just average. Opposing QBs (some that are not even that good) would pick us apart week in and week out.

Im not saying he sucks, but the money needs to be better spent.

With Davis we know what we are getting. The defense needs to improve, not just more of the same.

A few years back you held the opinion of how important Gary Brackett was to our defense. Then when he was finally cut no other team even claimed him. Raheem Brock etc.

So I question your opinion also.

what does Toler's performance have to do with Davis? I think you are very wrong about Davis go back and watch the Bronccos game if you don't think Davis does anything for us. We don't win that game with out him.

There are quite a few corners on the market.

I think Indy knows what they are doing.

Hopfully, if we dont resign Davis, we will sign a bunch of other good players.

Jared Allen, Sproles, Paul Soliai, Arthur Jones, Finnigan...

Its a great free agent year.

Even without Davis we can improve

I've been reading all of your negativity the past few days alone on Davis, and when you finally offer up solutions, you come with Jared Allen (doesn't fit our scheme in any way, as he's a pure 4-3 DE) and Finnegan (a VERY mediocre CB that is on the down side of his career). Finnegan couldn't hold Davis' jockstrap at this point and doesn't fit into our locker room culture.

Please try again.

you apparently didn't watch the game. That's how you forgot. All those yards were not on davis

I don't need you giving me a cocky remark so you can establish your point. I watched the game that happened months ago, every bit of it. Vontae got destroyed, there is no way you can possibly defend him for that game or for the rams game.

what does Toler's performance have to do with Davis? I think you are very wrong about Davis go back and watch the Bronccos game if you don't think Davis does anything for us. We don't win that game with out him.

Davis is a great CB who bit on a few stop and go's and just had a little stretch of bad games. Other than Revis before the knee injury . every good CB was vulnerable to a certain degree in todays game. If we lose Davis , it will set the defense back a good bit. My guess is Davis will let the Colts match the top offers . My hope is that we bite the bullet and pay what it takes as Pagano's defense will really suffer without at least one good cover CB.

I've been reading all of your negativity the past few days alone on Davis, and when you finally offer up solutions, you come with Jared Allen (doesn't fit our scheme in any way, as he's a pure 4-3 DE) and Finnegan (a VERY mediocre CB that is on the down side of his career). Finnegan couldn't hold Davis' jockstrap at this point and doesn't fit into our locker room culture.

Please try again.

Please don't even mention Finnegan and the Colts in the same post again. 

I don't need you giving me a cocky remark so you can establish your point. I watched the game that happened months ago, every bit of it. Vontae got destroyed, there is no way you can possibly defend him for that game or for the rams game.

he didn't give up all those yards. Not being cocky, just trying to get the facts right. Johnson got a long td catch that had nothing to do with davis

he didn't give up all those yards. Not being cocky, just trying to get the facts right. Johnson got a long td catch that had nothing to do with davis

I'd have to go back and watch it cuz from what I remember he got mollywhopped.

I'd have to go back and watch it cuz from what I remember he got mollywhopped.

he wasn't great in that game, no doubt. But a td and a huge chunk of yards was not on him. Calling him out for the game is fine. Just want the blame to be accurate

You really think the best time to cut a CB is when Vontae has us over a barrel?

Yeah not like replacing Toler will be hard. Any of the cheaper mid level guys are better them him anyone who is on the field is better then him. Josh Gordy is better then Toler.

Davis no news on him at all! So I'm guessing he is asking too much just a guess don't get all anal about it. I'm thinking Davis walks and we go after a DB in the second round and sign Byrd

I'm sure he's asking a lot. No doubt. I have been in favor of spending the $ to keep him. I think he is key to our defense and he's just coming into his prime. If we sign him for 4-5 years then we will be getting his best years. Hope something gets done today.

If Vontae leaves then we should draft McGill in the 2nd round. After Dennard and maybe Fuller, he's the next best "true" press corner available. They ran similar 40 times at the combine and McGill is significantly heavier and taller. It's because he's a true press, which is why his stock has risen.

His size gives you a bit of cushion too considering he'll have his rookie growing pains. He might give up the short underneath catches, but you're not catching anything over his head or down the sideline. Pagano just needs to teach him how to tackle. He also has experience playing safety so he has that versatility that Grigson likes. That's the best option. We can't afford another project player or a FA like Toler who will have minimal impact.

I don't think Grigson has any idea what he's doing when it comes to the D-Line, so I'd rather have him draft in the secondary.

So do we overpay Vontae, or overpay Verner?

Someone is going to get overpaid. It's just gonna happen.

We need to pay for an upgrade (basically anyone) over Toler as well after our #1 CB slot is taken care of as well.

Why the obsession w verner? He doesn't fit our scheme. It would be like Asomugha going to the Eagles or however u spell it. Wrong system ruined him.