If Vontae leaves/What to do with Vontae [Merge]

12isthenew18

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we wasted a 2nd round pick......

Just because we gave up the draft pick should not be the reason for over paying an average cb.

I think its a bigger mistake to over pay Davis and lock him up long term.

My feeling is there are better options for us without Davis.

Throughout the two years Davis was here, he was nothing special.

In my opinion, our defense has been disappointing over that period and Davis has not lived up to his hype.

He is being over rated by the "experts" as a free agent.

And is being HIGHLY over rated on this forum.

Sign Shields/DRC, Browner and draft a CB in 2nd round.

Shields/DRC would be cheaper than Vontae, Browner could start opposite them with Toler/Butler in the slot.

I'd even be tempted to cut Toler and have Shields, Browner, Butler, Draft pick and Gordy.

sign tarrel brown and/or sam shields to bolster the position not an upgrade but it would fix the problem and maybe try to find a gem in the late rounds i dont feel like its the end of the world if we lose davis but instead of signing byrd to an equally large contract that it seems we're trying to avoid with davis i say maybe try to trade up to get calvin pryor

Then we wasted a 2nd round pick......

He played for two years on a cheap contract that's far from a wasted pick.

That said he looks to be holding out for a big deal since the Colts made it known he was priority #1 and he's still not signed.  He was inconsistent in his two yrs with the Colts so he's not getting shutdown corner money like he and his agent are imagining.  His best fit is with the Colts but if its all money for him Grigs should let him walk. 

Personally, I'd rather have Browner in the backfield than Vontae at corner. Davis is a good corner and I won't be sad if they sign him but overpaying is not something I'm interested in.

Now, signing Browner to a decent 1-2 year contract would make me happy.

Tell me you wouldn't like this guy on our side......

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/941617/1zlzq7r_jpg_medium.gif

Personally, I'd rather have Browner in the backfield than Vontae at corner. Davis is a good corner and I won't be sad if they sign him but overpaying is not something I'm interested in.

Browner is suspended for the first four games of the season.

If Davis leaves i think were going to be one of the worst teams against the pass next year. Landry is a liability in coverage and Toler can't stay healthy so will have to rely on a rookie as our #1 CB and Butler. 

There's only a few CB's that has his skill set and in free agency, Talib is the only physical press CB but he'll want top CB money as well. The only other CB's that can do what Davis can in the league that are still young is Sherman, Haden, Revis, Peterson and their all gonna get paid more then what Davis wants. There's really no replacement for Davis and without him i can't see us beating the Broncos or Patriots in the playoffs. He's just to valuable for the defense to lose, it will be a major set back for the team.

We won't be bad at the passing game. If Davis leaves grigson will sign someone to replace him. Grigson is not that dumb to let a good CB go and not go after another to replace him. There has been reports that FA wants to come here to indy now cause of the winning environment and coaches ETC... What if we somehow land shields and Byrd

Am I the only one that would pay out Byrd over Davis? Byrd will shutdown 1 side of the defense... Davis will shutdown a number 1 receiver for half a season, he's just to inconsistent. Give me a press corner and Byrd.

Am I the only one who would just sign both and have a BA pass D

Dude is a beast, that is the most badass thing I've seen, three pancakes

There will be no replacement for Davis available. Someone to fill his roster spot? Sure, but there's nobody available with his skill set that will be able to help us win now.

We'll end up paying close to what Davis wants with Shields. He already turned down a really nice contract with the Packers.

Browner is good, but not that good. Add in the fact that he lost his starting job before the suspension ever came into play and has been out of football most of last season.

Talib is the only CB that, when healthy, can do the things Davis can. He's just going to want similar money and has the glaring red flags.

Cheap Route:-Sign Sam Shields.- Or draft a CB on 2nd or 3rd.Upgrade Route:- Sign Alterraun Verner.

For the millionth time Shields and Verner are not gonna be much cheaper they both want big bucks too. And neither is as good as Vontae so just pay him the little more he wants. All CBs are gonna want big money thanks to the Dolphins giving grandpa Grimes too much.

I see two sides to this issue:

I look at players who can get millions for contracts.  He has a choice.  Sometimes he has to take a little less than he'd hoped for to be on a team with potential.  I realize that in the NFL one is paid for his talents, but I would also consider winning potential.  If you're only in it for the money, you take the biggest contract regardless of who it is from.  If you're in to win, you have to be more flexible with your numbers to remain (or get signed to) a winning team. 

I would take a lesser amount if needed to be on a team like the Colts, Seahawks, 49ers than to sign with Oakland and go nowhere.  Yes, I'd have a pretty paycheck but my career would be forgotten rather quickly.

Just my two cents. 

That said, Davis and Indy need to work something out.  If he decides that he'd rather have an extra million or two elsewhere, he could go sign with Tampa Bay or Atlanta if he wanted.  A player gets his money but he may not ever achieve his dream.  (SB rings).  On the other side, (and I'm sure they're doing this) I would hope that Colts bean counters are doing everything (within reason) they can to keep Davis. 

sign a 1 Aqib Talib. idc what anyone says guy is a beast and better then Vontae. Seems like he did just fine in New England with his personality so id take him. Is not injury prone either, gets hurt just as much as Vontae, only hes not as inconsistent as Davis. Talib FTW

Huh. I don't get the Davis hate. Sure, he may be asking for too much money, but can you blame him? Get what you can while you can...

Also , there's really no replacement for him in FA this year. Certainly no "cheap" option. People keep throwing Verners name around, and he's really not an option for us. He's a zone corner, who is going to be asking just as much as Davis.

For what we do, Davis is the best option.

Edit:  Also, as someone who lives in the Tampa area and has watched him since his rookie year, Talib isn't really much better than Davis.  You wanna talk about inconsistent? lol  Also, he's a complete head case.  Yeah, he had his best year last year, but surprise, it was a contract year, and in Belichick's defense.  He will also cost just as much if not more.

There will be no replacement for Davis available. Someone to fill his roster spot? Sure, but there's nobody available with his skill set that will be able to help us win now.

We'll end up paying close to what Davis wants with Shields. He already turned down a really nice contract with the Packers.

Browner is good, but not that good. Add in the fact that he lost his starting job before the suspension ever came into play and has been out of football most of last season.

Talib is the only CB that, when healthy, can do the things Davis can. He's just going to want similar money and has the glaring red flags.

Talib smokes Davis. When healthy? Hes hurt just as much as Vontae. Only thing Vontae has goin for him that is better is his age, and it isnt by much.