Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Vontae leaves/What to do with Vontae [Merge]

12isthenew18

For the millionth time Shields and Verner are not gonna be much cheaper they both want big bucks too. And neither is as good as Vontae so just pay him the little more he wants. All CBs are gonna want big money thanks to the Dolphins giving grandpa Grimes too much.

I agree on resigning Davis I'm not saying we should sign these players instead. The forum is titled If Vontae Davis leaves.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I don't get the Davis hate. Sure, he may be asking for too much money, but can you blame him? Get what you can while you can...

Also , there's really no replacement for him in FA this year. Certainly no "cheap" option. People keep throwing Verners name around, and he's really not an option for us. He's a zone corner, who is going to be asking just as much as Davis.

For what we do, Davis is the best option.

Talib would actually be better for us then Davis, way more of a consistent shutdown corner.

Talib smokes Davis. When healthy? Hes hurt just as much as Vontae. Only thing Vontae has goin for him that is better is his age, and it isnt by much.

He missed 3 full games last season, comes with a lingering year suspension if he slips up at all, and would have to get acclimated to our team and playbook, and want similar money to Davis.

This is how I look at it... We are now to the point that it doesn't matter who we sign out of the top FA CBs(minus Talib; bum). As long as we get a young one(Shields, Verner, Munnerlyn)  and maybe another on the cheap(like Mike Jenkins).

I would be so much more happy with a pass rusher(Lamarr Houston/Arthur Jones) to pair with Mathis and company to go along with a ball hawking safety like Jairus Byrd. I would hope that all the best FA CBs would see that with an improved pass rush and top notch secondary that coming to Indianapolis is a no brainer.

Long story short... Davis' role can be treated as a plug-and-play with a better pass rush/secondary.

He missed 3 full games last season, comes with a lingering year suspension if he slips up at all, and would have to get acclimated to our team and playbook, and want similar money to Davis.

Talib is a better football player then Vontae... thats just the way it is.

read my edited post.  I disagree.  A lot.

Or.....Maybe, just maybe. He got better? And he didnt seem to cause a single problem in New England. You listen to the media too much and what people say, who are you to call the guy a head case..you act like you know him. All i know is i would rather have Talib covering the other teams best WR as opposed to Davis. Vontae is way too inconsistent for the price that hes asking.

Or.....Maybe, just maybe. He got better? And he didnt seem to cause a single problem in New England. You listen to the media too much and what people say, who are you to call the guy a head case..you act like you know him. All i know is i would rather have Talib covering the other teams best WR as opposed to Davis. Vontae is way too inconsistent for the price that hes asking.

IDK, the media for the most part has been way positive on Talib of late.  So, not sure that's a reason I wouldn't like him.  He's a headcase because I've seen him get easily frustrated, and benched for poor play (even when on the patriots) after getting upset.  He starts committing penalties and costs the team.

Yes, Vontae is inconsistent, but over his career, Talib has proven to be inconsistent as well.  Also, like you said... Maybe, just maybe...Vontae will get better?  Why is is possible that Talib got better, but Vontae wont?

I'm not saying Talib is a bum, or he's bad.  He's a really talented player.  He's just not more than MAYBE a slight upgrade over Davis, and since they're going to cost about the same amount of money. (I think Talib will end up asking for more money)  I'd rather have the guy who knows the system and the locker room.

Just spittin some truth. Vontae is too inconsistent. Talib can shutdown anyones best WR. Vontae can not

Vontae was absolutely amazing until he had that little injury issues that was nagging him. He had the best game by a CB in the broncos game last year but whatever. All the Vontae hate is really starting to tick me the hell off. The guy has done nothing but keep us from having the worst passing D the past 2 years by himself

Vontae was absolutely amazing until he had that little injury issues that was nagging him. He had the best game by a CB in the broncos game last year but whatever. All the Vontae hate is really starting to tick me the hell off. The guy has done nothing but keep us from having the worst passing D the past 2 years by himself

So Robert Mathis pressuring the QB to throw the ball wasn't the reason why our secondary wasn't horrid last year. 

Huh. I don't get the Davis hate. Sure, he may be asking for too much money, but can you blame him? Get what you can while you can...

Also , there's really no replacement for him in FA this year. Certainly no "cheap" option. People keep throwing Verners name around, and he's really not an option for us. He's a zone corner, who is going to be asking just as much as Davis.

For what we do, Davis is the best option.

Edit:  Also, as someone who lives in the Tampa area and has watched him since his rookie year, Talib isn't really much better than Davis.  You wanna talk about inconsistent? lol  Also, he's a complete head case.  Yeah, he had his best year last year, but surprise, it was a contract year, and in Belichick's defense.  He will also cost just as much if not more.

Salary cap dictates who goes and who stays.  Most teams would like to pay to keep every good player but obviously that's not how it works.  If Davis wants to chase a few extra bucks and play for Oakland then let him.  The Colts will be competing for championships in the foreseeable future if that wouldn't keep a player here for a little less then his priorities aren't where they should be.

Hi Pierre how are things in Washington?

Ok. the word "hating" or "hate" is severely overused. Im not against Davis, i like him. Just not for the $ that hes asking. Plus the question was who can we replace him with if we cant sign Vontae. Talib is the best option by far. And i wouldnt use the words "absolutely amazing" either.... he was solid.

Ok. the word "hating" or "hate" is severely overused. Im not against Davis, i like him. Just not for the $ that hes asking. Plus the question was who can we replace him with if we cant sign Vontae. Talib is the best option by far. And i wouldnt use the words "absolutely amazing" either.... he was solid.

Point is everyone's " solution" to Vontae leaving isn't saving us a damn thing Talib will want more then Vontae

This statement shows me you don't know what you're talking about.

Ok we'll see play 2 SS let Vontae walk keep Toler and draft a rookie or sign someone who is old as dirt then see how good our pass D is

I also never said pass rush wasn't important but if you don't have the right personnel in the back end of the D it don't matter we were playing Bethea with Landry both are garbage in coverage and Toler isn't anything let alone he's never healthy

229 yards worth of burning tho?

Burning is burning. It doesn't matter if it's 100 yards or 300.

So you're saying Peterson and Sherman are not shutdown corners. lol wow. 

Sherman is a shutdown corner. I never said he wasn't. Peterson is actually worse than Davis.

Ok we'll see play 2 SS let Vontae walk keep Toler and draft a rookie or sign someone who is old as dirt then see how good our pass D is

Dude a Defense starts on the line. You can have subpar secondary and a elite d-line and pass rush. Look at the Chiefs, and 49'ers D. That's the way it's built. 

Shields/Verner/Davis are angling for similar contracts so not sure why everyone is saying Shields/Verner will be a cheaper alternative. Also, Vontae is better than those other two anyways.

However, if Davis is signed elsewhere...it may be worthwhile looking at Carlos Rogers/Captain Munnerlyn.