Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Vontae leaves/What to do with Vontae [Merge]

12isthenew18

I really cant believe all the hype Vontae Davis is getting on this board.

I wonder, do you guys actually watch the games?

What did Davis do for us the last two years to get all this love?

Trust me. He is very replacable.

Grigson better not morgage the franchise by blowing the entire cap on this guy.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really cant believe all the hype Vontea Davis is getting on this board.

Grigson better not morgage the franchise by blowing the entire cap on this guy.

Very replaceable? Find me another corner that's as good as Davis is in press. I don't want Grigson to overpay on Davis, even though that's looking more and more likely.

Watching the Colts the last two years, I did not see Vontae Davis dominate the game as you all seem to imply.

What I saw was Davis trailing behing and allowing his man to catch the ball.

He was just ok. I did not think he was much better, if at all than our backups.

Watching the Colts the last two years, I did not see Vontae Davis dominate the game as you all seem to imply.

No offense, but you must not know what you were watching.

I really cant believe all the hype Vontae Davis is getting on this board.

Grigson better not morgage the franchise by blowing the entire cap on this guy.

Davis is good. No doubt. He doesn't pick off a ton of passes but he's a shutdown corner for sure. Up until the Denver game this season he had every right for a case of DPOY. After that he seemed slowed by injury, but he was still a better corner than this city has seen in about as long as I can remember.

Vontae is OUR corner, He's  been groomed for the past two seasons to fit OUR scheme, He is an A1 #1 starting corner who has shutdown abilities and has more games that he has dominated his matchup than games he has'nt.  Show me ANY corner who has dominated their reciever every week.....Exactly it doesnt happen!!  Vontae's age, skill set, proven ability & experience in our scheme is being completely overlooked by some of you who are so easy to let him walk bcuz we might pay him a mil or 2 more than you think he's worth...Guess what? If we let Vontae walk,  ALL the leverage goes to the FA we target to replace him,  And we WILL REALLY over pay for a guy not nearly as good anyways. I dont understand why some of you get so sick of the idea that he may get a little more than YOU would want to pay? So what? someones gonna pay him and  he's still gonna be a lot richer than you or I will ever be anyways so why hate?   Good thing I trust Grigs. to handle Vontae instead of some of what I been reading.  Hopefully Vontae really wants to stay and he & agent just want to hear numbers/terms from other teams to verify market value b4 they let Grigs cut a check.

I like most of what you say but Davis is not a shutdown corner. There only a couple of those in the NFL.

Infallible logic right here. By the way, since our Pass rush wasn't elite, Mathis sucks. It couldn't have anything to do with any of the other players involved, it all falls directly upon him. #CutMathisBeforeHeSummonsSatanToConsumeTheColts. 

I'd give him an ultimatum really. If he wants anything over 10m...Goodbye. And I'm a person that that considers the secondary one of the most important positions on the team and worthy of spending much monies on. 

Think that has already been done and he has an offer of $10 million or more.

Davis is good. No doubt. He doesn't pick off a ton of passes but he's a shutdown corner for sure. Up until the Denver game this season he had every right for a case of DPOY. After that he seemed slowed by injury, but he was still a better corner than this city has seen in about as long as I can remember.

What?

I know what I was watching.

We were basically bad in pass coverage all year. Davis has not been that effective.

Vontae Davis is great when completely healthy. The thing that boggles this wizards mind is Cassius Vaughn still has a job... and Teller was a major liability when on the field. I love Butler.

I would love to have Davis back but I would much rather draft a corner in the second round than get stuck in a bad contract in a couple of years just to keep Davis.  Wasn't one of the sins people wont forgive Polian for was over paying to keep Hayden?  I could see this going like that if the Colts over pay for him.  Happy we have him now but regret the long term deal in a couple of years. 

I have yet to hear even one rumor of any team even interested in Davis other than the Colts.

That would be tampering. And that is illegal.

And most analysts didn't see him hitting the market seeing how much cap space we have, so of course they haven't thought much about where he might land.

maybe they should hire you looks like you have all the answers

I have yet to hear even one rumor of any other team even interested in Davis besides the Colts.

More teams are clamoring for Verner

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2014, 9:22 PM EST

it could be easier to list the teams that aren’t interested in Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, who previously pegged the Jets, Vikings, and Rams as having interest in the No. 10 player on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100 list, now reports that the Lions, Steelers, and Giants also have interest in Verner

maybe they should hire you looks like you have all the answers

Sorry that I might have a differing opinion than all the masses here.

But so far, since Davis remains unsigned, it seems maybe the Colts managment might agree with me?

I have yet to hear even one rumor of any other team even interested in Davis besides the Colts.

it could be easier to list the teams that aren’t interested in Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, who previously pegged the Jets, Vikings, and Rams as having interest in the No. 10 player on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100 list, now reports that the Lions, Steelers, and Giants also have interest in Verner

and for the teams that don't land Verner who do you think they are going to turn their attention too? 

Also this isn't even the right time to be releasing a number 1 corner, when we are still trying to find a number 2 corner. I don't want the Colts to have to draft back to back corners or overpay 2 other FA's. Should've just tagged him if this was going to be the outcome.

Also this isn't even the right time to be releasing a number 1 corner, when we are still trying to find a number 2 corner. I don't want the Colts to have to draft back to back corners or overpay 2 other FA's. Should've just tagged him if this was going to be the outcome.

Tag him for 11 million?

...... O........k......

1.  We wouldn't be releasing our number corner.  He's a free agent that's completely different from the Colts releasing him.  By all accounts the Colts want Davis back it just doesn't look like at least right now they are willing to over pay to make that happen. 

2.  I think the Colts would disagree with you about not having a number two corner.  I know the fan base has turned on Toler but I don't think the Colts organization has.  I think they felt like before he got hurt last year he was doing exactly what they wanted out of a number two corner.  He just got hurt and never recovered from it.  I don't think the Colts are ready to give up on Toler yet.  I know the fanbase might be ready too but we don't get a say in it. 

Talib

It would be Talib and or Davis.  Rather you give him credit or not Davis is going to demand attention from teams this off-season.  You just listed about six to seven teams looking for a corner not including the Colts.  Do you really think Davis is that far down the list in terms of cornerbacks on the open market? 

the 49ers are looking to sign him

There are quite a few corners on the market.

I think Indy knows what they are doing.

Hopfully, if we dont resign Davis, we will sign a bunch of other good players.

Jared Allen, Sproles, Paul Soliai, Arthur Jones, Finnigan...

Its a great free agent year.

Even without Davis we can improve

comletely disagree on allen and sproles...not because thye lack talent but i dont see us utilizing those plyaers right...another 4 3 DE? and we drafted Williams to be a type of sproles but we dont really use them that way

Finnegan? He's terrible

Allen doesn'teven fit our defense.

It would be Talib and or Davis.  Rather you give him credit or not Davis is going to demand attention from teams this off-season.  You just listed about six to seven teams looking for a corner not including the Colts.  Do you really think Davis is that far down the list in terms of cornerbacks on the open market?

I am basing my opinion strictly on what I saw on the field.

I thought our pass coverage was lousy, and I did not think Davis was much better than our backups.

Let another team pay him 40 million. Then they will find out

I am not saying signing those CB's are the answer, I think that we can find a solid player for less money in free agency.  Players tend to play better in a contract year anyway.  Overpaying for Vontae only to see him maybe take a step back would be disappointing.  All the players in FA this year were in contract years so I guess this is a mute point.  Just don't overpay anybody, D'Qwell Jackson is already a bit pricey and FA has not even started yet.

I am basing my opinion strictly on what I saw on the field.

I thought our pass coverage was lousy, and I did not think Davis was much better than our backups.

Let another team pay him 40 million. Then they will find out

Well you entitled to your opinion but I question an opinion of someone who says they think Vaughn is almost as good as Davis. 

This front office and coaching staff wouldn't put up with finnigan's crap for 10 minutes.

I don't know what we could do with Allen, he's got to too much wear on the wheels, and he doesn't for our scheme. And sproles has benefitted from the Saints "touchdown or check down" offense. He wouldn't fit here.