Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Vontae leaves/What to do with Vontae [Merge]

12isthenew18

90% of the posts in this thread are not answering ops questions. There is no replacement for Vontae. Unless we get him, we are worse off. His "replacement" would probably require a similar salary

It is too simple i guess. Of course we are Not Worse off if the other 10 guys and the rotation guys play better.

No Angerer, no Franklin, No R Mathews, no Harvey, no ?Moala, no Sheppard, no Conner,

Less Redding, less Walden,

More Werner, more Chapman, more M Hughes, more Pendleton, more McNary and others.

D`Quell Jackson

Maybe a New DE A Jones, a FS Byrd

With all that Dead Weight gone, the run D Will be better, the short pass D will be better, maybe the pass rush will be too!

Then maybe Vontae won`t give up 8 TD passes again. (Brent Grimes - zero last season :) ) Maybe! :rock:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m thinking we WERE absolute Garbage on D in the playoffs. 44+43 = Garbage WITH Vontae. :thmup:

Maybe your standards are just a little bit to low. Come on Man! They Are what We think they Are! ;)

Not that i don`t like Vontae and we do need a good corner over there NOW for a possible SERIOUS run this Year. Certainly for Next!

Your right we weren't that good but you take away Vontae and we get even worse tho. Lol but I wanna resign Vontae get Byrd EDS and Houston maybe a G if we can then draft a CB in rd 2

It is too simple i guess. Of course we are Not Worse off if the other 10 guys and the rotation guys play better.

No Angerer, no Franklin, No R Mathews, no Harvey, no ?Moala, no Sheppard, no Conner,

Less Redding, less Walden,

More Werner, more Chapman, more M Hughes, more Pendleton, more McNary and others.

D`Quell Jackson

Maybe a New DE A Jones, a FS Byrd

With all that Dead Weight gone, the run D Will be better, the short pass D will be better, maybe the pass rush will be too!

Then maybe Vontae won`t give up 8 TD passes again. (Brent Grimes - zero last season :) ) Maybe! :rock:

without vontae we are worse off. It's very simple

:facepalm: Shields wants big money too!!

I have no actual insight into what shields will get, but I doubt he gets Vontae money.

I'm not high on Vontae. Not to mention the guy thought we were playing Tom Brady...*actually worthy of a facepalm*

Your right we weren't that good but you take away Vontae and we get even worse tho. Lol but I wanna resign Vontae get Byrd EDS and Houston maybe a G if we can then draft a CB in rd 2

i`m with you all the way CF. Grigson seems to have a talent for Contract Construction :thmup:  So Load the boat and lets crash the ____   gate for all it is worth Now.

While the QB is Cheap and and the Motivation is High! We can do it! :blueshoe::huthut::applause::Wooo:

Do not overpay him, the money we save by not signing him we can address elsewhere.  There are tons of quality CB's in free agency.  You can cut Toler also..... and sign 2 quality CB's for the price of Vontae and Toler.  Toler in my opinion is garbage and cannot stay healthy to even get the reps he desperately needs.  Shields, Captain, DRC, Talib, Verner, The Colts could get 2 by signing them to a front loaded contract so that they can cut them in 2 years even if they have a 5 year contract.  Thats how a lot of NFL contracts are set up.  NFL=Not For Long

I have no actual insight into what shields will get, but I doubt he gets Vontae money.

I'm not high on Vontae. Not to mention the guy thought we were playing Tom Brady...*actually worthy of a facepalm*

Well he already turned down a nice offer from the packers. Also he's not as good as Vontae so you will pay almost what Vontae wants for a less talented player

i`m with you all the way CF. Grigson seems to have a talent for Contract Construction :thmup: So Load the boat and lets crash the ____ gate for all it is worth Now.

While the QB is Cheap and and the Motivation is High! We can do it! :blueshoe::huthut::applause::Wooo:

I agree if we just spend some cash we can be a very heavy favorite next season!!

Do not overpay him, the money we save by not signing him we can address elsewhere. There are tons of quality CB's in free agency. You can cut Toler also..... and sign 2 quality CB's for the price of Vontae and Toler. Toler in my opinion is garbage and cannot stay healthy to even get the reps he desperately needs. Shields, Captain, DRC, Talib, Verner, The Colts could get 2 by signing them to a front loaded contract so that they can cut them in 2 years even if they have a 5 year contract. Thats how a lot of NFL contracts are set up. NFL=Not For Long

well Talib wants a ton if cash and Verner wants cash and don't fit our scheme and Shields wants cash too DRC was talking about retirement so no thanks but I have no clue what captain wants if it isn't alot I wouldn't mind cutting Toler to get him

without vontae we are worse off. It's very simple

Not if that $$ is spent on Byrd. he is a better player.

Byrd is the #1 FA

Vontae is 3rd on the list of CB`s and generaly considered a little inconsistent. #12 rated FA on NFL.com.

Lamar Houston is Consistent, makes a ton of plays, he might be just the guy who stiffens our run D and he also gets sacks and pressures the QB.

Spending the $$$ on Lamar might improve our Team D more than Vontae.

If you put a young CB out there and he gives up 8 TD`s you know where you will find him? haha!

Not if that $$ is spent on Byrd. he is a better player.

Byrd is the #1 FA

Vontae is 3rd on the list of CB`s and generaly considered a little inconsistent. #12 rated FA on NFL.com.

Lamar Houston is Consistent, makes a ton of plays, he might be just the guy who stiffens our run D and he also gets sacks and pressures the QB.

Spending the $$$ on Lamar might improve our Team D more than Vontae.

If you put a young CB out there and he gives up 8 TD`s you know where you will find him? haha!

1 vontae salary≠Lamar Houston+Byrd. We'd get 1 or the other. either way we CANNOT go into next season starting Toler and rookie or Butler. 

That's how the Colts got into a hole last time when Bill Polian started to just pay players what they wanted. 

It's okay to do that when you are in reach of a Superbowl. We're not going to pay everyone that much money but with all the ridiculous amounts of money he's given  to guys like RJF, Landry,etc... I'm sure he would be willing to give Davis the money. He may be inconsistent but at least he comes up big, unlike the other Grigson guys who have offered nothing.

It's okay to do that when you are in reach of a Superbowl. We're not going to pay everyone that much money but with all the ridiculous amounts of money he's given  to guys like RJF, Landry,etc... I'm sure he would be willing to give Davis the money. He may be inconsistent but at least he comes up big, unlike the other Grigson guys who have offered nothing.

You don't see a problem here. You just stated of a guy being inconsistent but you want to give him big money. Just think as if you're running a NFL team and you had a inconsistent player on your team asking for big money and that wouldn't bother you. That's like saying lets sign Tim Tebow QB for big money. He's inconsistent but he makes big plays.  :scratch:

It all comes down to the fact that the only way to come close to matching Davis' talent & production is to sign a lesser CB in FA for almost what we would pay Davis. You keep the proven commodity over the unproven. We know he works well with our scheme and the guys in our locker room.

We can still shore up the d-line and pass rush AND keep Davis. Actually, that's the most ideal situation.

You don't see a problem here. You just stated of a guy being inconsistent but you want to give him big money. Just think as if you're running a NFL team and you had a inconsistent player on your team asking for big money and that wouldn't bother you. That's like saying lets sign Tim Tebow QB for big money. He's inconsistent but he makes big plays.  :scratch:

I meant he's a good player, who doesn't always play good, like Clowney. Tebow was a terrible QB who did enough to win some games. Vontae can have like 3 games where he covers good and then 3 games where he gets lit up. He's never been terrible though. But having extra safety help would make him look better. He's done enough to warrant a $30 million contract. He's good enough to go to the Superbowl with. And that Superbowl is in range for us in 1-4 years so putting that many years into his contract would make sense.

Flaaco and Cutler got $100+ million dollar deals and you could put them in a top 10 list for inconsistent players.

I meant he's a good player, who doesn't always play good, like Clowney. Tebow was a terrible QB who did enough to win some games. Vontae can have like 3 games where he covers good and then 3 games where he gets lit up. He's never been terrible though. But having extra safety help would make him look better. He's done enough to warrant a $30 million contract. He's good enough to go to the Superbowl with. And that Superbowl is in range for us in 1-4 years so putting that many years into his contract would make sense.

Flaaco and Cutler got $100+ million dollar deals and you could put them in a top 10 list for inconsistent players.

Vontae was playing great till he got hurt the games he played bad he had the nagging injuries

I'm sure he actually thought that Peyton Manning was Tom Brady.

:sarcasm:

Our pass coverage has sucked the past few years.

So we should let our best DB walk, because that'll help right?

If we sign dominique rogers cromartie, I wouldn't be mad letting Davis go.

DRC has talked about possible retirement. I'll pass unless he comes with a cheap & short contract.

Looking at the list of FA cornerbacks, its pretty deep.  In addition to Davis, there is Munnerlyn, Shields, Verner, Talib, Terrell Brown, DRC, Cory Graham (Ravens), Nolan Carroll, Tracy Porter, Mike Jenkins, and Cortland Finnegan.

Many are not as good as Vontae, others maybe are, but the CB's on that list are all competent.  11 total.

I don't think you'd want any one of them to replace Vontae straight-up, but between a combination of these guys, the salary cap space (creating even more if Toler is cut), the draft picks, (even trading up into the second round),...... there are some options out there other than overpaying for Davis.

Personally, I'd rather have Browner in the backfield than Vontae at corner. Davis is a good corner and I won't be sad if they sign him but overpaying is not something I'm interested in.

Now, signing Browner to a decent 1-2 year contract would make me happy.

Tell me you wouldn't like this guy on our side......

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/941617/1zlzq7r_jpg_medium.gif

Thats bad butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the list of FA cornerbacks, its pretty deep.  In addition to Davis, there is Munnerlyn, Shields, Verner, Talib, Terrell Brown, DRC, Cory Graham (Ravens), Nolan Carroll, Tracy Porter, Mike Jenkins, and Cortland Finnegan.

Many are not as good as Vontae, others maybe are, but the CB's on that list are all competent.  11 total.

I don't think you'd want any one of them to replace Vontae straight-up, but between a combination of these guys, the salary cap space (creating even more if Toler is cut), the draft picks, (even trading up into the second round),...... there are some options out there other than overpaying for Davis.

You can scratch Shields off that list. He just re-signed with the Pack - 4 years $39mil

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10575358/green-bay-packers-re-sign-cornerback-sam-shields

If Davis left then IMO he would leave only to play with his brother in SF or someone severely over paid him. To me he is inconsistent. Not worthy of HUGE MONEY! If he left I would go after, Verner I was impressed with his play an you hurt a division opponent. Can't get him get Finnagin, And I really want McGill in the draft. Size an coverage ability like his are very hard to find!

If Davis left then IMO he would leave only to play with his brother in SF or someone severely over paid him. To me he is inconsistent. Not worthy of HUGE MONEY! If he left I would go after, Verner I was impressed with his play an you hurt a division opponent. Can't get him get Finnagin, And I really want McGill in the draft. Size an coverage ability like his are very hard to find!

Huge money is what he's going to get paid because of Shields. Verner is being contacted by the Vikings, Jets, and Rams. They'll outbid us.

Huge money is what he's going to get paid because of Shields. Verner is being contacted by the Vikings, Jets, and Rams. They'll outbid us.

% with that Shields contract they are all going to get paid! If Shields just got that I would offer Davis 4 years 40 million if he doesn't take it, say thats all we got! Get a lessor guy but no matter what draft McGill!  I have to say I worry about giving a guy like Vonte big money!

Four years, $39m.

I hope that's more than "Vontae money."

Vontae is OUR corner, He's  been groomed for the past two seasons to fit OUR scheme, He is an A1 #1 starting corner who has shutdown abilities and has more games that he has dominated his matchup than games he has'nt.  Show me ANY corner who has dominated their reciever every week.....Exactly it doesnt happen!!  Vontae's age, skill set, proven ability & experience in our scheme is being completely overlooked by some of you who are so easy to let him walk bcuz we might pay him a mil or 2 more than you think he's worth...Guess what? If we let Vontae walk,  ALL the leverage goes to the FA we target to replace him,  And we WILL REALLY over pay for a guy not nearly as good anyways. I dont understand why some of you get so sick of the idea that he may get a little more than YOU would want to pay? So what? someones gonna pay him and  he's still gonna be a lot richer than you or I will ever be anyways so why hate?   Good thing I trust Grigs. to handle Vontae instead of some of what I been reading.  Hopefully Vontae really wants to stay and he & agent just want to hear numbers/terms from other teams to verify market value b4 they let Grigs cut a check.