Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and Davis Not Close to a Deal

Leaf

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few people seem to be on Grigsons case about this. Maybe, just maybe Davis was prepared to reject any offer that was put to him because he wants to see what he can get in FA. Negotiations are a 2 way street.

We also don't know what he's asking for. He could think he's Revis (16m a year). I think all of us want him here, but do you really want to pay 11, 12, maybe 13m a year for him?

Okay last time I said this about a player it turned out we signed Pat today so hopefully I have the same "luck" with this.

Colts fans better brace themselves for Davis leaving.  I have a feeling Grigson has figured out a dollar amount he thinks Davis is worth.  I think it's below the franchise tag level which is why I think Grigson didn't tag him.  I think Davis thinks he's worth more than that.  So I am guessing the two sides wont budge.  We'll see what happens when he hits the market.  If a team is willing to come up to what he wants he could very well be gone. 

So, what position do you think is more important that we improve? Since you think that CB is one that we can weaken and still get by?

LB, DL, Safety. My point is that I don't believe that Vontae is worth the amount of cap space he will take. He is too up and down right now. If we don't improve the pass rush, he is not going to be an elite CB anyway, why should he be paid like one? My point has been this whole time is that with an improved pass rush, flaws in the secondary can be covered. You don't need an elite CB to win a Super Bowl. We let Alex Smith put up 44 on us because we weren't able to rush the passer. Someone mentioned that we had the Sack leader in Mathis. Yea, that's great, but in games where he does get shut down a bit, our secondary Davis included is exploited.

LB, DL, Safety. My point is that I don't believe that Vontae is worth the amount of cap space he will take. He is too up and down right now. If we don't improve the pass rush, he is not going to be an elite CB anyway, why should he be paid like one? My point has been this whole time is that with an improved pass rush, flaws in the secondary can be covered. You don't need an elite CB to win a Super Bowl. We let Alex Smith put up 44 on us because we weren't able to rush the passer. Someone mentioned that we had the Sack leader in Mathis. Yea, that's great, but in games where he does get shut down a bit, our secondary Davis included is exploited.

this

You can't fault the kid for seeing what market value he will bring.

He's young and in his prime, got a chance for his first big payday.

Maybe his only chance at the big bucks.

Why should he sell himself short?

Hopefully he will give the Colts the chance to match what the market says he is worth.

Really it is as simple as that.

Denver just cut Champ Bailey and they are letting Decker go too. They could make room. So could the 49ers.

I don't think releasing Champ was a huge relief on their cap and i know Decker wasn't cause he was still in his rookie contract.... he was only paid like 700K last year. (i am aware i said only paid since that is still a whole lot of money) As for the 49ers i am not sure how close they are to the cap or what they are doing... just don't think of them as needing a corner they need more offense to get by Seattle.

I'm not sure sure what their rankings are exactly but just guessing would you rather have a top 5 safety as in Byrd or top 10 corner as in Davis? That may be the situation we find ourselves in.

Would people be happy with Byrd and Shields, assuming we could sign him? Could waiting until Sat backfire on Davis? As in the Colts get good indications they could get Byrd and Shields?

That's your perrogative. And that's fine, I'm just saying, you don't break the bank for a cb, when there are many other pressing needs. I never said that we would play with crappy corners. I will say that you don't win a Super Bowl without a pass rush. I mean, Vontae was on the field when Andre had 3 tds in the first half with Case Keenum throwing him the ball. A pass rush makes a bigger difference than you are letting on.

That says a lot about how bad your DBs are.

I don't think releasing Champ was a huge relief on their cap and i know Decker wasn't cause he was still in his rookie contract.... he was only paid like 700K last year. (i am aware i said only paid since that is still a whole lot of money) As for the 49ers i am not sure how close they are to the cap or what they are doing... just don't think of them as needing a corner they need more offense to get by Seattle.

I don't know what Champ was last year but he was going to be a big hit this year ($10 million). That is why he was cut. They are also going to let Moreno go although he was on his rookie contract too. Peyton will probably restructure his deal either this year or next year or possibly both years.

I'm not sure sure what their rankings are exactly but just guessing would you rather have a top 5 safety as in Byrd or top 10 corner as in Davis? That may be the situation we find ourselves in.

In this defense?  It's CB by a long-shot.  Doesn't have to be Davis.

would Love the Byrd/Sheilds combo.. that would make us soo much better.. 

I agree that Grigson has a tipping point, but this one puzzles me in that he seems to continue to overpay for FA...  and then bring in our current draft situation with no #1 or #4 pick.... I'm sure they have a game plan ...time will tell...  if we loose him it will be interesting ti see why... I don't think he is a top 5 corner and that seems to be the money he is looking for... 

I don't know what Champ was last year but he was going to be a big hit this year ($10 million). That is why he was cut. They are also going to let Moreno go although he was on his rookie contract too. Peyton will probably restructure his deal either this year or next year or possibly both years.

You are correct, for some reason i thought Champ's cap relief was only 1 million... i guess i missed a zero.