Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and Davis Not Close to a Deal

Leaf

Vontae wasn't even that good last year. Let him go.

You're never happy with anybody the Colts have or sign, so why would anybody take your opinions seriously? Sorry dude but you are one of the top 5 Debbie Downers on this forum. You never have anything positive to say about anything.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.8 picks per year at since coming to Washington and 12.6 passes defensed per season is alot of production

I think those #'s are a bit inflated due to his playing style. He typically goes all in on the big play, but gives up too much over the top. I'd be more interested in his targets and yards allowed.

My point originally being, most high-end CBs don't perform at their prior level when they go to a new team. We don't have the consistently strong pass rush (despite Mathis' sack numbers) to run with mediocre CBs.

I think those #'s are a bit inflated due to his playing style. He typically goes all in on the big play, but gives up too much over the top. I'd be more interested in his targets and yards allowed.

My point originally being, most high-end CBs don't perform at their prior level when they go to a new team. We don't have the consistently strong pass rush (despite Mathis' sack numbers) to run with mediocre CBs.

The draft is loaded with 3-4 rush linebackers for sure

The draft is loaded with 3-4 rush linebackers for sure

But do you think a rookie OLB can make up for losing Davis? It'd be a plus definitely, but you'd likely not see that player making a true impact for another couple of years. We're still waiting on Werner to develop..

Well I've said it before the Dolphins screwed us! If grigson say signed Vontae earlier then we wouldn't be in the position! We lost a second rounder to the dolphins and they go out and give Grimes a 8 miLl a year deal that made us have to shell out way more then what Davis is worth!

Man I'd be happy to make the league min.

These guys want $12 million a year when they aren't playing QB..

It's a shame.. Vontae should be happy with 6 million a year.. Like he's ever going to spend all of that money in his lifetime.

Jamarcus Russell is living proof that it can be done..lol

I'd like Davis back....But I'd love seeing this forum have a meltdown once ya all are forced to realize just how valuable good Corners are regardless of how much pass rush ya have

haha I know right tons of people on here talkin how CBs and Safties aren't important and anyone can magically be great with a good pass rush

But do you think a rookie OLB can make up for losing Davis? It'd be a plus definitely, but you'd likely not see that player making a true impact for another couple of years. We're still waiting on Werner to develop..

No, I dont think there is any pass rusher that can make up for not having at least 1 good starting Corner, Worst comes to worst we go after Verner or Shields, We will have at least 1 starting Corner(And no Im not high on Toler regardless if injury history or not) at some point , It would not be pretty if we didn't

Just curious...where is this 12 mil. per yr. coming from? I haven't heard anything from anybody important saying Vontae is seeking that type of coin. I hope they get something worked out and I really think they will. Vontae is a big part of our defense and it would suck to lose him.

we need to just pay him he's the best CB available and the other corners are turning down cheaper deals too so what's the difference. You don't just let one if your best D players leave especially on our bad secondary. Not to mention we would be stuck with Toler him with Vontae is bad enough but just Toler. God help us

If I was Davis I'll do the same since grimes got so much can't blame him. But there is still other FA CB out there that we can sign for less not a lot less but still less that can be just as good as Davis. Verner and Shields! Either one I'll be fine with

No, I dont think there is any pass rusher that can make up for not having at least 1 good starting Corner, Worst comes to worst we go after Verner or Shields, We will have at least 1 starting Corner(And no Im not high on Toler regardless if injury history or not) at some point , It would not be pretty if we didn't

Just making sure we were on the same page there.

I'd be ok with Shields, but I don't think Verner's skill set would allow him to do the things he did with the Titans, with us. His strengths are in space as a zone corner. Can he play press man? He can, but not well.

The Ravens won the SB when both there starting corners were injured

their* and actually they had Cary Williams starting who was a boss all postseason and earned himself a new nice contract with the Eagles for it. Plus Jimmy Smith, Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard made their presence felt as well.

their* and actually they had Cary Williams starting who was a boss all postseason and earned himself a new nice contract with the Eagles for it. Plus Jimmy Smith, Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard made their presence felt as well.

You found it necessary to correct my typo? Gee thanks

And actually, Cary Williams wasn't a boss, but the eagles were dumb enough to pay him.....good for him.

Talib is the only other FA CB with Davis skillset. Shields, Verner, and DRC aren't physical press CB's. If we don't re sign Davis we probably won't go after Talib because he's the top CB. There's really no replacement for Davis.

If I was Davis I'll do the same since grimes got so much can't blame him. But there is still other FA CB out there that we can sign for less not a lot less but still less that can be just as good as Davis. Verner and Shields! Either one I'll be fine with

You found it necessary to correct my typo? Gee thanks

And actually, Cary Williams wasn't a boss, but the eagles were dumb enough to pay him.....good for him.

He did have 17 passes defensed, 4 pick...1 of which he returned for a td