Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN's Yates: "Erik Walden Signing Has Not Gone As Planned"

Andy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walden was about average this year and was overpaid. He did bring a physical edge to this team that wasn't there the year before. That being said i still think that Werner should have got more playing time last year especially on passing downs. I know Werner got some snaps but i think Walden got most of them when he's really not a pass rusher.

Walden was about average this year and was overpaid. He did bring a physical edge to this team that wasn't there the year before. That being said i still think that Werner should have got more playing time last year especially on passing downs. I know Werner got some snaps but i think Walden got most of them when he's really not a pass rusher.

The only way Walden is overpaid is if bloggers get to determine what he should have been paid. Compared to the other 3-4 Sam backers with similar production, he was actually underpaid.

Here is an article by ESPN's Field Yates about how Erik Walden was one of the 3 bad signings the Colts made last offseason.

Personally, I liked Walden and he beat my expectations because on top of doing a good job of setting the edge, he improved as a pass rusher. Overall, I wouldn't call him a disappointment, but Field Yates says different.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4279/walden-one-of-nfls-disappointing-free-agent-signings-in-2013?src=mobile

I agree with you as well, I felt like Walden exceeded expectations. Most people forget he wasnt brought in to be a premier pass rusher and the fact that he was able to come in set the edge and also apply pressure on the QB while racking up a few sacks,is exceeding expectations in my eyes.

Werner saw a reasonable abount of snaps during the season. I think they kept Walden in on more passing downs because he was able to apply more pressure than Werner was. At times Werner seemed lost and didnt show much pass rush capability. Im hoping he makes a huge leap in year 2 because he does have the intangiables.

What's PFF's rating on Walden.

Personally I thought he was better then I thought he would be, but I'm not sure that makes him worth the contract we gave him.

...I'm about to ask a question to which I DON'T know the answer... I'm honestly just curious, but don't have the time to investigate...

What other OLBs, not in their rookie contracts, put up similar or better stats for less pay?

...I'm about to ask a question to which I DON'T know the answer... I'm honestly just curious, but don't have the time to investigate...

What other OLBs, not in their rookie contracts, put up similar or better stats for less pay?

I don't know, the problem is that defense is harder to break down by stats.  

However your root question is worthwhile.  Who out there (not on a rookie contract) has played OLB better for less or equal pay.  I honestly don't know the answer to that either.  But if someone does know the answer it would give us some prospective on Walden.

I don't know, the problem is that defense is harder to break down by stats.

However your root question is worthwhile. Who out there (not on a rookie contract) has played OLB better for less or equal pay. I honestly don't know the answer to that either. But if someone does know the answer it would give us some prospective on Walden.

It would give us a prospective perspective. :)

he did a nice job forcing the fumble but then again it was Hillman carrying the ball. Outside of that, he didn't do anything spectacular in the Denver game. As I recall he played solid that game.

how about the hit on Manning that caused an int. Or falling on the ball in the endzone after the mathis strip sack

here is a breakdown of his play in that game

http://profootballnetworks.com/2013/10/31/breaking-down-erik-waldens-big-game-against-the-broncos/

how about the hit on Manning that caused an int. Or falling on the ball in the endzone after the mathis strip sack

here is a breakdown of his play in that game

http://profootballnetworks.com/2013/10/31/breaking-down-erik-waldens-big-game-against-the-broncos/

Falling on the ball after a strip sack is not a spectacular play IMO.  I did forget he was the one that was hitting Manning on the INT.

Did we over pay Walden? Yes.

But That's our own fault.. Not his.

He's simply a edge stopper. That's the main reason we brought him in.

Werner was drafted to come in and bat balls down and sack the QB..

Walden did his job and managed a few sacks as well.

Werner clearly did not.

Some of you act like Walden got Haynesworth money. His contract is not a big one.

Werner was a rookie who battled injuries. His, like most rookie seasons, was for learning. A bit early to call him a bust

Some of you act like Walden got Haynesworth money. His contract is not a big one.

Werner was a rookie who battled injuries. His, like most rookie seasons, was for learning. A bit early to call him a bust

I didn't call him a bust.

And Walden get a little over paid, but he's not as people point him out to be.

Ahh, so now you are trying to put words in my mouth.  Running to the ball after someone else makes a great play is not a spectacular play, no matter how you try to twist it around.

If it was your fav Pat Angerer, it would have been the best play ever!  :)

A nose for the ball is huge.  Ask Leon Lett  :funny:

He Lett one slip away....

leon-lett.jpg

he still did not even perform enough to warrant the kind of money we paid for him I don't really know why we signed him to such a long expensive contract then we draft werner in the first round the front office better improve drastically or were for another horrible offseason and yes I agree with everything this article said. I see him as a backup.

he still did not even perform enough to warrant the kind of money we paid for him I don't really know why we signed him to such a long expensive contract then we draft werner in the first round the front office better improve drastically or were for another horrible offseason and yes I agree with everything this article said. I see him as a backup.

This post exudes positivity....I feel rejuvenated and well informed now.... :funny:  haha  :lol:  :spit: !!!!!

He slightly overpaid for him and the other FA's in order to avoid cap heck, like what he walked into with the Polian leftovers like Brackett, Clark, and Freeney. Contract structure matters.

IMO, he also has a bit of an obligation to honor these contracts, not cutting him, toler, or RJF as some want. Why?...

Having a reputation of being somewhat loyal to his signings will allow him to pursue future FA's without having to put out a lot of upfront/guaranteed money. The Satele situation is different. He is in the last year of his contract and the market understands the need for the colts to upgrade the line. Cut Walden, Toler, or RJF, after only one year; when its debatable that they didn't live up to every last dime of their salary, and the market will see that as a knee-jerk GM and demand a lot of upfront money upon signing a contract with the colts as protection for themselves.

If it was your fav Pat Angerer, it would have been the best play ever!   :)

A nose for the ball is huge.  Ask Leon Lett  :funny:

He Lett one slip away....

leon-lett.jpg

Not true.  Angerer made the INT on the play where Walden hit Manning.  He took advantage of a gift INT but I don't consider that a spectacular play on Angerer's part.  And I just went back and looked at the game book the play was a safety, so whether Walden didn't do anything on that play.  A spectacular play would have been if he had been able to recover in bounds.

Really not sure how something that happened to a different player 11 years ago fits with the conversation.  But I will say, despite this blunder and he had one in the SB agaisnt the Bills Lett was still considered one of the top DTs of his time.

Not true.  Angerer made the INT on the play where Walden hit Manning.  He took advantage of a gift INT but I don't consider that a spectacular play on Angerer's part.  And I just went back and looked at the game book the play was a safety, so whether Walden didn't do anything on that play.  A spectacular play would have been if he had been able to recover in bounds.

Really not sure how something that happened to a different player 11 years ago fits with the conversation.  But I will say, despite this blunder and he had one in the SB agaisnt the Bills Lett was still considered one of the top DTs of his time.

Good point on not recovering.  Just a quick jab on Angerer.  You know I liked him too.

I could have gone more recent for sure, but that was a historic miscue by Lett.  And YES....he was a big bad man on the football field!! :thmup:

he still did not even perform enough to warrant the kind of money we paid for him 

So tell us specifically what he should have done that he didn't in order to earn the money he was paid?

I don't really know why we signed him to such a long expensive contract

It's already been pointed out many times that Walden got paid in line with what other 3-4 SamLB's get paid so this was not an expensive contract.

then we draft werner in the first round

This says a lot.  Werner was drafted to play RushLB.  Walden was signed to play SamLB.  Not the same position.

Boy the ESPN title sounded like they had some juicy inside info from the organization itself. But Mike Wells just copied and pasted and linked somebody's opinion on the matter like he always does. Mike Wells never has his own articles he just links copy and paste links to other peoples articles and mislead you with the title like it came from the Colts organization

They should've kept Paul Kuhursky in charge of the AFC South like it was. Because ESPN's team coverage(colts in particular) has not been good since Mike Wells took over

To me he did a serviceable job. The position could stand for an upgrade without question and I would be surprised if we didn't get an OLB this year to groom behind Walden in the draft at some point...There are just to many this year to pass up.......But again he did a fine job

So tell us specifically what he should have done that he didn't in order to earn the money he was paid?

It's already been pointed out many times that Walden got paid in line with what other 3-4 SamLB's get paid so this was not an expensive contract.

This says a lot.  Werner was drafted to play RushLB.  Walden was signed to play SamLB.  Not the same position.

thank you for proving me wrong I see walden in a whole new light now, hope you feel better