Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN's Yates: "Erik Walden Signing Has Not Gone As Planned"

Andy

Here is an article by ESPN's Field Yates about how Erik Walden was one of the 3 bad signings the Colts made last offseason.

Personally, I liked Walden and he beat my expectations because on top of doing a good job of setting the edge, he improved as a pass rusher. Overall, I wouldn't call him a disappointment, but Field Yates says different.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4279/walden-one-of-nfls-disappointing-free-agent-signings-in-2013?src=mobile

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an article by ESPN's Field Yates about how Erik Walden was one of the 3 bad signings the Colts made last offseason.

Personally, I liked Walden and he beat my expectations because on top of doing a good job of setting the edge, he improved as a pass rusher. Overall, I wouldn't call him a disappointment, but Field Yates says different.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4279/walden-one-of-nfls-disappointing-free-agent-signings-in-2013?src=mobile

He was a disappointment to me!!

I was a little disappointed by his performance last season, but I was also pleasantly surprised in some ways. 

He was brought in to set the edge and I don't think he did a brilliant job of that. He did fine but, after reading all of the stuff after his signing about how setting the edge was his primary attribute, I was a little underwhelmed. 

On the other hand, just as you said in your OP, Andy, his pass rushing skills exceeded my expectations. Again, he was hardly an All-Pro in that department but I think he did a better job than many thought he would. I hadn't seen a lot of him in a Green Bay uniform but I'm sure we all remember hearing that he can "set the edge but he can't rush the passer". I almost found the reverse to be true last season. 

I don't think many of us expected much from Walden when the signing was announced and I think he probably fulfilled most expectations. That is, he played average to well on a relatively consistent basis which, though not a thoroughly positive sentiment, is something to be praised. I think those that are disappointed now probably expected too much from him.

ESPN has turned into a pop-culture network. Its not really a sports network anymore. Consequently, they hype stars.

During free agency and draft time, they will focus on a few players. Big names. Popular names. I guess they think the fans think that team analysis and strategy is boring.

ESPN was just waiting for free agency to begin to make a big splash and announce signings.

Grigson didn't oblige. He didn't give them anything shallow to talk about. Walden was one of the first signings by any team in free agency; causing ESPN to get all whetted up just to say "who?"

They've resented it ever since.

Well according to everyone he would ruin us because he is so terrible. So he didn't go according to the haters plans, that is for certain. He did what he was brought in to do. It isn't that big of a concept to understand.

He ruined us in one game...the one he was suspended....it was obvious against the Cardinals he was not in the lineup....awful defense....

The defense was obviously much better with him. :thmup:

Craig Kelley's Colts.com article made a lot more sense with more info.  Thanks Craig!

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Erik-Waldens-Production-and-Reality-Trump-Perception/e8d7b652-b880-4037-9135-a0941d230f61

I want to know where they are getting these numbers from because they seem awfully wrong.

You're not telling me that Robert Mathis had 17 or less pressures all season.

I was a little disappointed by his performance last season, but I was also pleasantly surprised in some ways. 

He was brought in to set the edge and I don't think he did a brilliant job of that. He did fine but, after reading all of the stuff after his signing about how setting the edge was his primary attribute, I was a little underwhelmed. 

On the other hand, just as you said in your OP, Andy, his pass rushing skills exceeded my expectations. Again, he was hardly an All-Pro in that department but I think he did a better job than many thought he would. I hadn't seen a lot of him in a Green Bay uniform but I'm sure we all remember hearing that he can "set the edge but he can't rush the passer". I almost found the reverse to be true last season. 

I don't think many of us expected much from Walden when the signing was announced and I think he probably fulfilled most expectations. That is, he played average to well on a relatively consistent basis which, though not a thoroughly positive sentiment, is something to be praised. I think those that are disappointed now probably expected too much from him.

I think he set the edge fine. He just wasn't sufficiently disciplined against read option plays and against scrambling QBs. That got better as time went on. So did his pass rush, and according to the ESPN article, he let the team in QB pressures.

He did just fine. This criticism of Walden was written before the season even began. No one liked him or the signing, and unless he was a Pro Bowler, the signing was going to be ridiculed.

I want to know where they are getting these numbers from because they seem awfully wrong.

You're not telling me that Robert Mathis had 17 or less pressures all season.

You know what, when he got pressure it was usually a sack...he may HAVE had 17 pressures.  Walden just did not get there enough...You do have to wonder though.

I think they meant to exclude Mathis.

I don't think so. In thi first paragraph it reads:

His 27 QB pressures topped the club in 2013, and he is poised for greater accomplishments in 2014.

And later on it says:

While Mathis’ 21.5 sacks (19.5 in the regular season) topped the club, Walden had four, but his 27 QB pressures were 10 more than his nearest teammate.

The 'but' part read to me like he's saying that he had 10 more than Mathis. 

It's Mike Wells; of course. I saw espn didn't click on the link. He's just as bad as the major networks are anyway so still my point stands. He makes some wild articles too

But yeah my mistake *shrugs*

I think he feels as if he should slam his home team after covering the Indiana Pacers for so long.  I am not liking his writing on ESPN.  And...Candace Buckner is doing a super job covering the Pacers here.  OK...back to football Brent!  (OOPS I just used 3rd person...no I am not Southwest 1 :))

He was a disappointment to me!!

The only thing I can say is that I think Walden played pretty fair. He may be a bit overpaid for his production but he IS a positive for this defense.

You know what, when he got pressure it was usually a sack...he may HAVE had 17 pressures.  Walden just did not get there enough...You do have to wonder though.

Well the thing was that I took a screen shot a while back from PFF and it has Mathis with 33 hurries (and they separate hurries and sacks), which is why I found their numbers odd.

h5dYKAq.jpg

Probably just a case of bad writing.

Well the thing was that I took a screen shot a while back from PFF and it has Mathis with 33 hurries (and they separate hurries and sacks), which is why I found their numbers odd.

h5dYKAq.jpg

Probably just a case of bad writing.

Awesome Bert...whatever your name is :)  DUSTIN!!!   :)

The only thing I can say is that I think Walden played pretty fair. He may be a bit overpaid for his production but he IS a positive for this defense.

I think this says it as well as anyone.  Walden didn't do anything spectacular all season but he only had 2 or 3 bad games and they were at the beginning of the season.

Welcome to the never ending Walden topic.....what Patriot Game :)

batman_pow_bam.jpg

I see denial is your friend.

He was, and he played just fine.

He did okay, like most of the season... not too many blatant mistakes but nothing game changing either, in the game but the point was that the defense played better with him in there as proof BrentMC used one game as an example, in response I used one game as an example where the D did not play better with him in there.

He did okay, like most of the season... not too many blatant mistakes but nothing game changing either, in the game but the point was that the defense played better with him in there as proof BrentMC used one game as an example, in response I used one game as an example where the D did not play better with him in there.

And I'll give ya another :)  Batman is out of control today....

Batman+Pow.jpg

The NE game is an example of why we need to get better up the middle of the defense. Everything we did on the outside was textbook.

The NE game is an example of why we need to get better up the middle of the defense. Everything we did on the outside was textbook.

I guess I need to re-watch that game.  I agree with you, but need to watch it again....I watched Walden closely every game because of all of the folks who did not like him...or thought he was not doing his job.

No argument about stiffening up the middle... DT, NT and ILBs all have to play more stout against the run.  That does not negate the fact that Walden was an above average to good player for the Colts once he understood his role.

And he won me over with his play (to a point) because after the first few weeks I had him as a below average player.