Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fix one position on both sides of the ball

Here's the task: You pick the biggest problems on our team, one on offense and one on defense, and tell me what you would do to fix them. Think in terms of biggest and most significant impact from Day One of the 2014 season, not in terms of long term team building.

So if you could wave your magic wand and "fix" the Colts, at one position on either side of the ball, what would you do?

I would pick C and CB.  For the Center position I would look to sign Brian De La Puente from the Saints to a 4yr 24 million contract with a 4 million signing bonus.  That would be in line with the contract signed by Scott Wells in 2012.  As for Cornerback I would resign Davis to a 5yr 40 million contract with a 17.6 million signing bonus.  That is in line with the contract signed by Brandon Flowers in 2011.  I would also look to draft CB Pierre Desir in the 3rd round.

On offense you gotta go with a center, and the biggest and quickest fix for that would be Alex Mack.

On defense, I would say #2 ILB but I do not see a FA or someone in the draft that would have as big an impact as a starting FS would. So I'm gonna have to say FS and either go with Byrd or magically get Calvin Pryor from the draft. (Preferably Pryor)

Completely agree with the group think here about ILB#2 on defense and C on offense.  My suggested fix isn't popular. I'd like to re-sign Conner to a minimum deal, develop McNary, and draft an ILB @ 2,3 or 5. At center, I'd sign a journeyman to compete with Holmes and Austin and draft G/C for depth.  I'd rather not do that at 2 or 3 but wouldn't rule it out.

I'm on record in various threads that I can't get very excited about fixing either one through free agency.  I don't like the historical value (performance delta) in signing UFA inside linebackers and centers to guaranteed long term contracts. Mack is the only player at either position that looks like a slam dunk to me, and I don't like the way it would unbalance our roster with long term cap implications.  DLP and EDS are fine players, but I'm not keen on paying a premium for average talent that others developed into starters - we need to do that ourselves and there are plenty of players in the NFL or college that have just as much talent (including one on our roster not named Satele).

I know you said to ignore long term building...but I'm not very good at following directions.

Completely agree with the group think here about ILB#2 on defense and C on offense.  My suggested fix isn't popular. I'd like to re-sign Conner to a minimum deal, develop McNary, and draft an ILB @ 2,3 or 5. At center, I'd sign a journeyman to compete with Holmes and Austin and draft G/C for depth.  I'd rather not do that at 2 or 3 but wouldn't rule it out.

I'm on record in various threads that I can't get very excited about fixing either one through free agency.  I don't like the historical value (performance delta) in signing UFA inside linebackers and centers to guaranteed long term contracts. Mack is the only player at either position that looks like a slam dunk to me, and I don't like the way it would unbalance our roster with long term cap implications.  DLP and EDS are fine players, but I'm not keen on paying a premium for average talent that others developed into starters - we need to do that ourselves and there are plenty of players in the NFL or college that have just as much talent (including one on our roster not named Satele).

I know you said to ignore long term building...but I'm not very good at following directions.

Yeah, you're being stubborn. ;) 

There are obviously cap ramifications for everything we do in free agency. I'm just curious what people think needs to be fixed the most, and in a vacuum, what the most effective way of fixing it would be.

There are obviously cap ramifications for everything we do in free agency. I'm just curious what people think needs to be fixed the most, and in a vacuum, what the most effective way of fixing it would be.

I'll try to play along...and I'd offer this as a compromise....Jon Goodwin was a nothing special player when the 49'ers signed him as a UFA in 2011.  He had a lot of physical talent, but was never in a system where he stood out.  For about $3M/yr and way less than that guaranteed, he has provided a great line with a solid anchor at C.  The market may not produce a profile like this in the 2014 UFA market, but scouting for an under the radar mid-level guy who you believe could make the jump was good enough for a 49'ers team that was ready to contend, and it is a much preferred fix in my book if you choose not to develop your own.

Maybe Fernando Velasco could fit that description.

I'd say C and S are the biggest problems even tough ILB is also urgetn. but my way of thinking is we dont have a real option at safety (bethea is out of contract) while we still have some boddies for ilB.

having said that, i dont think we can use that much money (TJ ward/Byrd ....and i think Delmas is alot like Landry so not sold on  the idea) tied up to secondary.. i mean landry + toler + vontae new contract  + a new safety waaaaaaaay 2 much money. 

so I'd go for the C of the packers (cant spell his name)  and Donald Butler. Myabe D'Qwell Jackson if cut from the browns.

I like Butler and Smith as well but Butler is already in contract negotiations with the Chargers, he's probably gonna resign. Mack has said that he's gonna test free agency and his coach is on our staff.

Chargers have a lot of work to do before they can afford to keep Donald Butler. Right now, they're projected between $.5-3m over the cap in 2014. They can restructure some guys and/or release some players, but if they let Butler get to free agency, I bet they lose him.

I agree with Offense is Center.  IMO, we should get in FA.  Would be satisfied with the 2nd or 3rd ranked FA Center.

I also agree ILB is the Defense major problem.  Not sure I want a FA or draft one.  I would like to get a Balanced ILB in FA for a 1-2 year contract and get our future ILB in the 2nd or 3rd round of draft.  Either way, IMO, they need to be able to play the run and the pass.

Honorable Mention:  CB.  IMO, Toler will not give us a full year, but I think Grigson will keep him.  I would like to see us draft a CB in 2nd or 3rd round and give him playing time during 2014 season with looking at him starting in 2015 season.

Supe, another look at this today....you know I like lower guarantees in UFA contracts, and here is another option that could address the key needs:

ILB - Brandon Spikes is a name we need bring back into the mix.  He is a prime candidate for a Walden type of deal.  Probably one of the best run stoppers in the league and brings the most immediate help on a deal that should maintain cap flexibility.  Makes sense for a known quantity that solves our biggest defensive weakness - despite being only a 2 down LB.  This leaves room to develop the young LB's in nickel packages.

C - Sign JD Walton to a vet min. deal and bring him in to compete with Holmes and T. Austin.  Austin has been around the league for 4 years and this would give us 3 swings of the bat to solve the C position, including a proven C in Walton who is simply an unknown healthwise. Alternatively, sign Velasco to a 3yr/8M deal w/ low guarantee.  On paper, Velasco  doesn't offer much more than Satele when we signed him 2 years ago... uneven performance and may or may not be ready to take the next step.  Might provide the Jon Goodwin effect, and might not.

Supe, another look at this today....you know I like lower guarantees in UFA contracts, and here is another option that could address the key needs:

ILB - Brandon Spikes is a name we need bring back into the mix.  He is a prime candidate for a Walden type of deal.  Probably one of the best run stoppers in the league and brings the most immediate help on a deal that should maintain cap flexibility.  Makes sense for a known quantity that solves our biggest defensive weakness - despite being only a 2 down LB.  This leaves room to develop the young LB's in nickel packages.

C - Sign JD Walton to a vet min. deal and bring him in to compete with Holmes and T. Austin.  Austin has been around the league for 4 years and this would give us 3 swings of the bat to solve the C position, including a proven C in Walton who is simply an unknown healthwise. Alternatively, sign Velasco to a 3yr/8M deal w/ low guarantee.  On paper, Velasco  doesn't offer much more than Satele when we signed him 2 years ago... uneven performance and may or may not be ready to take the next step.  Might provide the Jon Goodwin effect, and might not.

I'm curious what Spikes winds up doing.

As for the center position, and the offensive line in general, enough already. That's how I feel about it. It's been since 2008 that we've been doing this dance on the line, plugging a guy here or there, rotating a guard in and out, swinging average to below average players like Linkenbach and Charlie Johnson and McGlynn from tackle to guard and back again, with mostly underwhelming results. I think it's worth the cost to acquire what would be as close to possible of a sure thing, particularly at center, in free agency. And I think we need to do it now.

If we could get EDS or BdlP at $5-6m/year, I think it would be wise and prudent to do so (we have Satele at $5m this year, if for some reason he's not released). If the move works out, we will have taken significant steps toward fixing -- FIXING -- the problem at interior line that has plagued us for six years now. Center is fixed, we'll have young options and depth at guard, without being locked in for big money or long term deals.

The question that comes up is what we do with Anthony Castonzo. I think he's an above average left tackle, and I want him to stay, but I don't know if I want to give him second contract left tackle money. Depends on what we do with his Year 5 option, which the team has to determine sometime soon, but we could potentially have two chances to draft a LT to take his place, rather than overpaying to keep him. That's a question for another day, though. No sense in committing to Castonzo one way or another right now.

It's just that I think it's very important to fix the line, finally. We have sunk cost in Trent Richardson; we should do whatever we can to help him perform at a higher level, and that means fix the interior of the line. We have a franchise QB, but he gets hit far too often, mostly up the middle. So rather than continuing with the patchwork approach at such a crucial position, I think we should spend the money now. I'd rather go patchwork in the secondary, where you get more value late in the draft and in UDFA (consider, we've been starting a 6th rounder at safety for eight years now). 

Also consider, we should be getting some cap savings at backup QB after Hasselbeck retires, Cherilus might not finish his contract out, Donald Thomas has a reasonable veteran contract that's easy to manage and easy to terminate, but if he comes back healthy, we have a very solid LG for three more years. 

I think we can make the money work. It might cost us in a couple years, we might lose a couple of good players, but that's going to happen anyways. Right now, while we have the flexibility to do so, we should build the best team we reasonably can, and try to get this team to the next level. To me, the primary thing holding us back is the play of the interior line. I'm for fixing it at all reasonable cost right now.

/rant

I'm curious what Spikes winds up doing.

As for the center position, and the offensive line in general, enough already. That's how I feel about it. It's been since 2008 that we've been doing this dance on the line, plugging a guy here or there, rotating a guard in and out, swinging average to below average players like Linkenbach and Charlie Johnson and McGlynn from tackle to guard and back again, with mostly underwhelming results. I think it's worth the cost to acquire what would be as close to possible of a sure thing, particularly at center, in free agency. And I think we need to do it now.

If we could get EDS or BdlP at $5-6m/year, I think it would be wise and prudent to do so (we have Satele at $5m this year, if for some reason he's not released). If the move works out, we will have taken significant steps toward fixing -- FIXING -- the problem at interior line that has plagued us for six years now. Center is fixed, we'll have young options and depth at guard, without being locked in for big money or long term deals.

The question that comes up is what we do with Anthony Castonzo. I think he's an above average left tackle, and I want him to stay, but I don't know if I want to give him second contract left tackle money. Depends on what we do with his Year 5 option, which the team has to determine sometime soon, but we could potentially have two chances to draft a LT to take his place, rather than overpaying to keep him. That's a question for another day, though. No sense in committing to Castonzo one way or another right now.

It's just that I think it's very important to fix the line, finally. We have sunk cost in Trent Richardson; we should do whatever we can to help him perform at a higher level, and that means fix the interior of the line. We have a franchise QB, but he gets hit far too often, mostly up the middle. So rather than continuing with the patchwork approach at such a crucial position, I think we should spend the money now. I'd rather go patchwork in the secondary, where you get more value late in the draft and in UDFA (consider, we've been starting a 6th rounder at safety for eight years now). 

Also consider, we should be getting some cap savings at backup QB after Hasselbeck retires, Cherilus might not finish his contract out, Donald Thomas has a reasonable veteran contract that's easy to manage and easy to terminate, but if he comes back healthy, we have a very solid LG for three more years. 

I think we can make the money work. It might cost us in a couple years, we might lose a couple of good players, but that's going to happen anyways. Right now, while we have the flexibility to do so, we should build the best team we reasonably can, and try to get this team to the next level. To me, the primary thing holding us back is the play of the interior line. I'm for fixing it at all reasonable cost right now.

/rant

You just summed up the circle of life in the salary cap era....one way or another we will always be depending on something a little less proven than we would like.  Fortunately, so are all the other teams.

But...I get it.  We all want the line to be fixed.  If Grigson sees a performance delta in any of the UFA centers at a price that is right, then that is great by me.  Even if he wants to spend $9M/year on Mack complete with a vision for how impact leadership in the middle and a strong LT can accomodate other moving parts - then I'm good with that too.  He is the one with the real data.

Can't wait to see how it actually pans out, because whatever the path, we will be better next year.

You just summed up the circle of life in the salary cap era....one way or another we will always be depending on something a little less proven than we would like.  Fortunately, so are all the other teams.

But...I get it.  We all want the line to be fixed.  If Grigson sees a performance delta in any of the UFA centers at a price that is right, then that is great by me.  Even if he wants to spend $9M/year on Mack complete with a vision for how impact leadership in the middle and a strong LT can accomodate other moving parts - then I'm good with that too.  He is the one with the real data.

Can't wait to see how it actually pans out, because whatever the path, we will be better next year.

Okay, Plan B, if we can't get EDS or BdlP at a reasonable price: Joe Hawley, Falcons. He took over for Peter Konz halfway through the season and played well. Brought some toughness to the unit, and did a good job in pass blocking and run blocking. He's 25 years old, just finished his fourth year in the league. 

Not on the level of the really good FAs available, and only has limited starting experience at center so far. But he has room to improve, and he can play guard as well. I think he's better than Walton or Velasco. He was suspended for 4 games in 2012 for a banned substance; his agent says it was Adderall (who knows)? Speaking of his agent, he also represents Scott Lutrus and Josh Gordy; I expect us to retain Gordy on a low RFA tender. Doesn't really matter, but at least Grigson will have some dealings with him prior to FA.

So we could do one of five things:

1. Sign Alex Mack, at let's say six years, $52.5m, which is $8.75m/year, outpacing Ryan Kalil for highest paid center. I think that would fix the center position, but would be incredibly costly and come at a premium, given the kind of bonus and guarantees he would command. Great player, the best option from a performance/age standpoint, but I'm not a fan of this option strictly because of cost. He would be 34 by the time the contract expires.
  2. Sign either Evan Deitrich-Smith or Brian de la Puente, at let's say five years, $30m, which is $6m/year. Not quite the same premium as Mack, but still pretty costly and would require a good amount of guaranteed money. Both players are about the same age as Mack. Either guy would also likely fix the center position and give the team a serious infusion of talent on the interior of the line. This is probably the safest and most effective option, but the cost is definitely a concern.
  3. Sign Joe Hawley, at four years, $12-15m. Similar contract structure to what we did for Donald Thomas, but for a little bit more money. I already mentioned the reasons I think he'd be a good add. Hawley has stated that he wants to stay in Atlanta, and they could easily match this contract if they wanted.
  4. Sign Walton or Velasco, or an older guy like Jonathan Goodwin from the Niners, who is older but had a good year. Any of these guys would probably run somewhere around $2-3m/year on a short term deal.
  5. Hand it over to Holmes. He got no burn last year at center, and has dealt with some injuries over the last couple of years. This strategy makes me nervous, but I obviously haven't seen him in practice and whatnot. Between Holmes and some depth, this option costs us very little.

I'm partial to #2 and #3, in that order. I think both are manageable from a cap standpoint, but they also pretty much solve the center situation and allow us to do something about veteran depth at guard.

I'd like to add more explosive players along the DL. I'd fix it through the draft and a little in FA.

I'd use RJF and Jeris Pendleton as depth players and possibly consider getting rid of Redding

because of age. Not quite sure who the replacements would be.

Offensively speaking I'd fix the interior of the OL. I think the fix may already be on the roster, but

I'd add better players through the draft and FA

I'd like to add more explosive players along the DL. I'd fix it through the draft and a little in FA.

I'd use RJF and Jeris Pendleton as depth players and possibly consider getting rid of Redding

because of age. Not quite sure who the replacements would be.

Offensively speaking I'd fix the interior of the OL. I think the fix may already be on the roster, but

I'd add better players through the draft and FA

No way do ya get rid of our best D lineman and not know who the starters would be that would take his place, We do need a NT thats going to collapse the pocket more consistently and is able to shed a block

No way do ya get rid of our best D lineman and not know who the starters would be that would take his place, We do need a NT thats going to collapse the pocket more consistently and is able to shed a block

I said "consider", not get rid of him. If I did decide to do so I would have an answer. It's all hypothetical

Who knows it may even be Montori Hughes. He was getting some nice penetration at times the more he played.

I think Hughes could play DE or NT, but with his quickness he may be better suited for DE.  As far as NT is concerned I like Chapman, and I it is hard to move him but I didn't feel he was a pocket collapser or a guy that

really stood people up in the backfield a whole bunch. We'll see how he improves this year.

Okay, Plan B, if we can't get EDS or BdlP at a reasonable price: Joe Hawley, Falcons. He took over for Peter Konz halfway through the season and played well. Brought some toughness to the unit, and did a good job in pass blocking and run blocking. He's 25 years old, just finished his fourth year in the league. 

Not on the level of the really good FAs available, and only has limited starting experience at center so far. But he has room to improve, and he can play guard as well. I think he's better than Walton or Velasco. He was suspended for 4 games in 2012 for a banned substance; his agent says it was Adderall (who knows)? Speaking of his agent, he also represents Scott Lutrus and Josh Gordy; I expect us to retain Gordy on a low RFA tender. Doesn't really matter, but at least Grigson will have some dealings with him prior to FA.

So we could do one of five things:

1. Sign Alex Mack, at let's say six years, $52.5m, which is $8.75m/year, outpacing Ryan Kalil for highest paid center. I think that would fix the center position, but would be incredibly costly and come at a premium, given the kind of bonus and guarantees he would command. Great player, the best option from a performance/age standpoint, but I'm not a fan of this option strictly because of cost. He would be 34 by the time the contract expires.
  2. Sign either Evan Deitrich-Smith or Brian de la Puente, at let's say five years, $30m, which is $6m/year. Not quite the same premium as Mack, but still pretty costly and would require a good amount of guaranteed money. Both players are about the same age as Mack. Either guy would also likely fix the center position and give the team a serious infusion of talent on the interior of the line. This is probably the safest and most effective option, but the cost is definitely a concern.
  3. Sign Joe Hawley, at four years, $12-15m. Similar contract structure to what we did for Donald Thomas, but for a little bit more money. I already mentioned the reasons I think he'd be a good add. Hawley has stated that he wants to stay in Atlanta, and they could easily match this contract if they wanted.
  4. Sign Walton or Velasco, or an older guy like Jonathan Goodwin from the Niners, who is older but had a good year. Any of these guys would probably run somewhere around $2-3m/year on a short term deal.
  5. Hand it over to Holmes. He got no burn last year at center, and has dealt with some injuries over the last couple of years. This strategy makes me nervous, but I obviously haven't seen him in practice and whatnot. Between Holmes and some depth, this option costs us very little.

I'm partial to #2 and #3, in that order. I think both are manageable from a cap standpoint, but they also pretty much solve the center situation and allow us to do something about veteran depth at guard.

Really like the addition of Joe Hawley to the mix.  I wonder if he'll command even that much, but your reference point of D. Thomas is a good one.  When it comes to individual performance delta evaluations....I'm out of my league - but I like your concept here with Hawley.

I might actually prefer 1 or 3 over 2, and not sure that I want to be stuck in the middle and paying a premium for consistency but a lower ceiling.  Just thoughts.  My behavior projection of Grigson is still that he would choose option 5 supported by 4...maybe because it is my bias.  That bias is based on the belief that he probably thinks that the only player on the list whose talent exceeds what he already has access to is Mack.

We only played a NT on 50% of our D snaps last year....a NT that can do what you describe would play a differerent role....but you already know this.

I'll be adding another piece shortly saying who I would make the replacements with specifically.

CENTER

1. Cut Satele and let McGlynn walk

2. Sign Jonathan Goodwin to a 2yr/3.5m deal

3. Draft C/OG Marcus Martin at #90 to compete with C/OG Holmes for the eventual starting role. They've both played C and OG and add young depth at both positions.

Reasoning: This approach spares us the monster contract Mack will command, if we even get a shot at him, and the market-inflated contracts EDS and De La Puente will likely get.

Okay, now I'm gonna go against the grain a little....

SAFETY

1. Let Bethea walk in free agency....it's been a nice ride, but unfortunately, his best days are behind him.

2. Sign Jairus Byrd

3. Trade down out of the #58 spot in round 2 for a high 3rd round pick and 4th round pick....an equitable trade. Draft SS Ahmad Dixon with the acquired 3rd round pick. Dixon plays a very physical brand of game at Safety and would be a good rotation player as he develops. Use the acquired 4th rounder for other needs.

Reasoning: I know....we need ILB's and Byrd wants a ton of $$$. The logic is that by re-signing Vontae Davis AND signing Byrd....pairing him with Landry and grooming Dixon at SS....we will have a vastly upgraded and young secondary, basically set for 4 years. And as a unit this helps our LB's in coverage and run support.

With Satele and Toler presumably being let go and 40M + in cap space....we can afford 2 high-dollar signings and I'd rather spend it on Davis and Byrd than on the O-line, given the rarity of ball-hawking Safeties like Byrd.

Really like the addition of Joe Hawley to the mix.  I wonder if he'll command even that much, but your reference point of D. Thomas is a good one.  When it comes to individual performance delta evaluations....I'm out of my league - but I like your concept here with Hawley.

I might actually prefer 1 or 3 over 2, and not sure that I want to be stuck in the middle and paying a premium for consistency but a lower ceiling.  Just thoughts.  My behavior projection of Grigson is still that he would choose option 5 supported by 4...maybe because it is my bias.  That bias is based on the belief that he probably thinks that the only player on the list whose talent exceeds what he already has access to is Mack.

I guess I feel a lot better about EDS and BdlP than you do. I don't think Mack is that much better than either of them, though he is clearly the best of the bunch. I personally think either of them is worth the $5-6m/year that they'll likely get, I just agree with you that it would cost us in other ways (quite possibly could cost us Anthony Castonzo). 

I'm not sure what the Falcons think about Hawley. They still have Konz, and they can spend another pick or sign veteran depth if they want to create more competition. They might not want to spend $3-4m/year on Hawley when they have other options. I've taken a look at some Falcons' blogs and message boards over the past couple days to see how the fan base feels about him, and they're noncommittal. I've seen a dozen offseason mocks from their fans that don't even include Hawley, so it's hard to get an idea on a consensus from them. The bloggers seem to have latched on to Hawley as being an upgrade over Konz.

If the Falcons offer Hawley a one year deal or something like that, and another team offers him a multi year deal, I expect that he'd walk. And you don't see multi year veteran contracts for linemen anywhere below $3-4m/year, so that's why I think the Donald Thomas price point would apply. (We signed Satele at $3.6m/year.)

There might be other options similar to Hawley that I haven't discovered. They're older, but if we could get Raiola or Goodwin on a one year deal, I'd be okay with that. I just don't see either of them switching teams at 35 years old. Or an outside the box option would be to add a couple veteran guards, and think about Donald Thomas at center.

My whole thing is that we have the cap space to make this center issue a thing of the past, right now. I just would very much like to not have to worry about incompetent and/or inconsistent play in the middle anymore. I don't think we should have $25-30m/year going to the offensive line, but that's a problem for another year. Right now, the line play is holding us back. Let's fix it.

I guess I feel a lot better about EDS and BdlP than you do. I don't think Mack is that much better than either of them, though he is clearly the best of the bunch. I personally think either of them is worth the $5-6m/year that they'll likely get, I just agree with you that it would cost us in other ways (quite possibly could cost us Anthony Castonzo). 

I'm not sure what the Falcons think about Hawley. They still have Konz, and they can spend another pick or sign veteran depth if they want to create more competition. They might not want to spend $3-4m/year on Hawley when they have other options. I've taken a look at some Falcons' blogs and message boards over the past couple days to see how the fan base feels about him, and they're noncommittal. I've seen a dozen offseason mocks from their fans that don't even include Hawley, so it's hard to get an idea on a consensus from them. The bloggers seem to have latched on to Hawley as being an upgrade over Konz.

If the Falcons offer Hawley a one year deal or something like that, and another team offers him a multi year deal, I expect that he'd walk. And you don't see multi year veteran contracts for linemen anywhere below $3-4m/year, so that's why I think the Donald Thomas price point would apply. (We signed Satele at $3.6m/year.)

There might be other options similar to Hawley that I haven't discovered. They're older, but if we could get Raiola or Goodwin on a one year deal, I'd be okay with that. I just don't see either of them switching teams at 35 years old. Or an outside the box option would be to add a couple veteran guards, and think about Donald Thomas at center.

My whole thing is that we have the cap space to make this center issue a thing of the past, right now. I just would very much like to not have to worry about incompetent and/or inconsistent play in the middle anymore. I don't think we should have $25-30m/year going to the offensive line, but that's a problem for another year. Right now, the line play is holding us back. Let's fix it.

EDS and DLP could both be much higher ceiling guys than I project - I am certainly no scout. You'd be much better equipped in all phases of that.  I love to look at situations, concepts and history along with what I see when I watch games.  Both were undrafted type guys that Grigs might say he could find and develop or he might say that he'll pay the premium for what the made themselves into. Can't wait to find out and absolutely love this time of year.

Completely agree that Raiola and Goodwin look primed to finish their careers where they are at 35.  Not a lot of stop gap type options after Hawley, Velasco or Walton on the lists I see.