Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

you're gm for the day

CR91

since everyone seems to think they know better then our own gm in how to make the colts champions, Im opening the floor to every and any actions you would take if you were gm. keep in mind you have cap restrictions, many players to resign, new talent to add to the roster, and future big contracts to keep key skill players. so fire away

Without going into cap figures, I would sign a center (not named Mack) either one of the top other guys available for much less money than Mack will command. I would sign a real 3-4 ILBer, a DE that can take more of Redding's snaps and eventually take his spot, A mid level guard that could compete for the starter job or be a good backup, and a Safety to replace Bethea. The 3 I would try to re-sign would be Davis, McAfee, Sergio Brown and I wouldn't stress too much about any of the other FA's we have. 1st and foremost before anything else, I would pack Satele's bags and kick him down the road to the airport. I would even buy his ticket if it got him out of here quicker.

Fire Pagano and entire staff...Find a way to get John Gruden as HC ...Sign Alex Mack, Marcel Dareus, Eric Decker, and T.J. Ward...

...and then you could fire yourself next offseason after a disaster of a season because none of the moves you made done anything but made us worse.

My first move as GM would be to resign.

For real tho, I'd try to sign a few of under the radar guys for cheap. Players like Travelle Wharton (OG) and Linval Joseph (DT) for deals between $2MM-$4MM annualy. 

After filling OG and a DE, I'd move on to ILB, where I'd try to bring in a guy like Karlos Dansby or Daryl Smith a 1-3 year stop gaps. I'd venture that either of these plays would have salries ranging from $4MM-$5MM annually.

These leaves us with a hole at S and C.

Evan Dietrich-Smith is a good player who will command substantially less than Alex Mack would. I'd try to sign him to somewhere in the range of $6MM a year.

Unfortunately there's not many mid-level safeties hitting free agency this year. It's either very good guys (TJ Ward or Jarius Byrd) or very bad guys.

I wouldn't be against signing either Ward or Byrd to large contracts given our immediate need for a cover safety. If we are going to play our safeties next year like we did this year (alternating both of them into the box almost evenly), I would prefer Ward as he fits that role better.

For the draft, I would target an ILB that we could groom into an eventual starter (Yawin Smallwood). This guy would eventually take over for either Dansby or Smith in a year or 2. I would also target another WR, a player I like is Donte Moncrief. He reminds me of Anquan Boldin and think he brings physicality to our WR corps.

I know I didn't go into a lot of detail, but this is basically a rough outline.

The signing of Chud is all you need to know..They can't fire Pagano yet because of his past, but I'm sure they want to...Great defensive mind my butt..He is a CB coach and that's it..

Really?  23 wins the two years after winning 2 games and gutting the franchise and you want to fire the coach?  

This is why fans don't make decisions.

*Sits in deep thought*

1. Thank Mr. Irsay for the hiring of me

2. Call a players meeting to introduce myself to the players & have the towel/ball boys serve the players apple juice as they walk in

3. Re-Sign Vontae, Patty, & Donald Brown

4. Release McGlynn, Satele & Tashard Choice (Only cause the crowded backfield)

5. Sign a CB & pass rusher in FA (only moves I make in FA)

6 Draft Carrington Byndom, a SS, & 2 more pass rushers (Do I have that many picks for those 4?)

7. Before training camp, announce those who didn't participate in OTA's will stay another hour after practice every day running their responsibilities on whatever plays the coahes call

8. After pre-season, demand the team spend 2 days in a spa getting massages, tea baths, & yoga to relax themselves before the season opener

:rantoff:

-TKnight24

*Sits in deep thought*

2. Call a players meeting to introduce myself to the players & have the towel/ball boys serve the players apple juice as they walk in

6 Draft Carrington Byndom, a SS, & 2 more pass rushers (Do I have that many picks for those 4?)

7. Before training camp, announce those who didn't participate in OTA's will stay another hour after practice every day running their responsibilities on whatever plays the coahes call

8. After pre-season, demand the team spend 2 days in a spa getting massages, tea baths, & yoga to relax themselves before the season opener

-TKnight24

And when you're a Super Bowl winning GM, get apple juice dumped on you instead of Gatorade.

Im not positive if this is possible with our current cap situation, but i would resign Davis and let bethea go, replace him with byrd, cut erik walden and greg toler, satelle, aubrayo franklin. And sign Verner to immediately have the best secondary in the afc. I'd also pray Werner manages to produce and our defense would be one massive step closer to being elite.

since everyone seems to think they know better then our own gm in how to make the colts champions, Im opening the floor to every and any actions you would take if you were gm. keep in mind you have cap restrictions, many players to resign, new talent to add to the roster, and future big contracts to keep key skill players. so fire away

Stick with the plan....right or wrong

resign guys you acquired like Vontae Davis...and wait for injured players to return

....I wish we had a No.1 but we don't....so there';s not much we can do draft-wise picking low in the 2nd round.

////we have 4 injured starters returning on offense.........

///I want a quiet summer.....draft linemen..and lets go 11-5 again

...we dont need major moves

*Sits in deep thought*

-TKnight24

You've managed to violate the laws of time and space, as well as the CBA, in one post.

For real tho, I'd try to sign a few of under the radar guys for cheap. Players like Travelle Wharton (OG) and Linval Joseph (DT) for deals between $2MM-$4MM annualy. 

After filling OG and a DE, I'd move on to ILB, where I'd try to bring in a guy like Karlos Dansby or Daryl Smith a 1-3 year stop gaps. I'd venture that either of these plays would have salries ranging from $4MM-$5MM annually.

These leaves us with a hole at S and C.

Evan Dietrich-Smith is a good player who will command substantially less than Alex Mack would. I'd try to sign him to somewhere in the range of $6MM a year.

Unfortunately there's not many mid-level safeties hitting free agency this year. It's either very good guys (TJ Ward or Jarius Byrd) or very bad guys.

I wouldn't be against signing either Ward or Byrd to large contracts given our immediate need for a cover safety. If we are going to play our safeties next year like we did this year (alternating both of them into the box almost evenly), I would prefer Ward as he fits that role better.

For the draft, I would target an ILB that we could groom into an eventual starter (Yawin Smallwood). This guy would eventually take over for either Dansby or Smith in a year or 2. I would also target another WR, a player I like is Donte Moncrief. He reminds me of Anquan Boldin and think he brings physicality to our WR corps.

I know I didn't go into a lot of detail, but this is basically a rough outline.

Me thinks Joseph is going to make more than people think

It's impossible to know what is available and what the prices would be for said guys but I think we first target who we want back....I'm thinking we resign Davis due to having a second rd pick invested in him already and he is clearly top 5 cb on the market. I imagine we keep our corners pretty much the same. I know they got burned at times but it was a lot to do with them playing less than 100%. I also think they bring back Donald Brown but if he goes they look to bring in someone like Rashard Jennings or Ronnie Brown...a career backup that has stepped in and played well in both Jacksonville and Oakland and one who was a solid backup in San Diego who doesn't need many carries to stay affective. I can't see us keeping Satele so I'm going to say we bring in De la Puente...I don't think Mack is going anywhere in Cleveland. I think we stay pat at G unless we don't get Mack or Puente at center. I think we bring back Adam and Pat for our kicking game....both have leg left in them and solid veterens. Now...the big question is what do we do about Bethea. I think we bring in someone a little younger...with a little more cover skills. Landry is best suited for run support...actually so is Bethea at this point in his career....I don't think we can afford to have two safeties that are weak in coverage. I can see us looking for a replacement in the draft and maybe bringing in a vet on a 1 or 2 yr deal. I would really like to make one big splash whether we did go out and bring in a Mack or Byrd or Whitner but I would love us to get someone like Arakpo...pair him with Mathis and let the hounds hunt. You could keep Mathis and him fresh by having Walden and Werner rotate....Mathis isn't getting younger...he had an INCREDIBLE year...but so did Peyton...he is headed into the twilight of pass rusher years and getting an heir apparant is vital....no better OLB on the market imo. Whatever we do I just hope its smart with money but we do need some proven commodities...not that we have to overpay but I would just like a playmaker like Mathis on defense to help. Hungry guys are great...but sometimes you swing and miss too much by going that right. Whether its on the backend or a pass rusher getting that pressure on the qb or roaming the secondary could cause a turnover or make a hit or two to send a message I just feel we could use one more of those players if we can fit it in our cap.

It's impossible to know what is available and what the prices would be for said guys but I think we first target who we want back....I'm thinking we resign Davis due to having a second rd pick invested in him already and he is clearly top 5 cb on the market. I imagine we keep our corners pretty much the same. I know they got burned at times but it was a lot to do with them playing less than 100%. I also think they bring back Donald Brown but if he goes they look to bring in someone like Rashard Jennings or Ronnie Brown...a career backup that has stepped in and played well in both Jacksonville and Oakland and one who was a solid backup in San Diego who doesn't need many carries to stay affective. I can't see us keeping Satele so I'm going to say we bring in De la Puente...I don't think Mack is going anywhere in Cleveland. I think we stay pat at G unless we don't get Mack or Puente at center. I think we bring back Adam and Pat for our kicking game....both have leg left in them and solid veterens. Now...the big question is what do we do about Bethea. I think we bring in someone a little younger...with a little more cover skills. Landry is best suited for run support...actually so is Bethea at this point in his career....I don't think we can afford to have two safeties that are weak in coverage. I can see us looking for a replacement in the draft and maybe bringing in a vet on a 1 or 2 yr deal. I would really like to make one big splash whether we did go out and bring in a Mack or Byrd or Whitner but I would love us to get someone like Arakpo...pair him with Mathis and let the hounds hunt. You could keep Mathis and him fresh by having Walden and Werner rotate....Mathis isn't getting younger...he had an INCREDIBLE year...but so did Peyton...he is headed into the twilight of pass rusher years and getting an heir apparant is vital....no better OLB on the market imo. Whatever we do I just hope its smart with money but we do need some proven commodities...not that we have to overpay but I would just like a playmaker like Mathis on defense to help. Hungry guys are great...but sometimes you swing and miss too much by going that right. Whether its on the backend or a pass rusher getting that pressure on the qb or roaming the secondary could cause a turnover or make a hit or two to send a message I just feel we could use one more of those players if we can fit it in our cap.

I'm quoting this post because I feel I have the most similarities comparing your hypothetical GM plan to mine, as well a few points I find interesting in here and want to expand on.

A little background for me, if I had the choice of building through free agency with a $100 million cap or holding 30 picks over the next three drafts, I personally pick the draft picks. I feel like getting young players ready to be taught and molded into potential stars holds a lot more value than taking a veteran entrenched in his ways for 5-10 seasons or so. So first in creating an offseason GM plan is too review the tape from last year, and what you have moving forward. Overall, the Colts are a stud, extremely young football team with more promise than about 30/32 teams out there.

Reggie going down against Denver hurt us initially, but I look back on it now as an opportunity our young receivers had to grow and show what they could do. And with that chance, they delivered. TY delivered his promise as a future star in this league, Whalen was sneaky good as the little guy unaccounted for who could deliver nice catches in this clutch, Brazill would be like a mini TY, maybe a little better over the middle than Hilton, and we've only scraped the bottom of the barrel with Rogers' talent. Coby Fleener demonstrated good improvement from his rookie year, and with Dwayne Allen coming back (not to mention Reggie for at least one more year), our receivers will be a force to be wrecking with. Of course, the troubles with our offense started in the trenches, specifically the interior O-line. I personally believe Donald Thomas next year will be surprisingly good coming off a big injury, but the rest should be upgraded.

If there was one word to describe our defense last year, it would be Mathis. A monster year that in my opinion should have ended with the defensive MVP award helped out that side a whole lot, and gives Werner a lot to learn from, being a great mentor. Werner, by the way, still has a nice outlook on this team, and another offseason will only help. Our defensive line wasn't terrible wasn't great either, another piece to the 3 man front puzzle should be added. Our inside linebacker tandem... er... jumble, wasn't characteristic of most 3-4 style teams, and to make it work, a force should fit in right next to Freeman. Unless if the next Canadian Muamba proves his salt, as well as Adongo and Mcnary (wherever they may play) pick it up. For the first half of the year, I was extremely impressed with our secondary. I saw brilliant man-press coverage, and Bethea and Landry were certainly better than average against the run, even though their pass defense skills were somewhat lacking.

A quick note on special teams, Mcafee is not only one of the best punters in the league, but a great leader, as well as a guy who connects with the fans very well. Vinatieri is expendable at this point, so I wouldn't mind letting him walk.

Lastly, our coaches and executives command a great amount of respect from our players, make no mistake about that. Pagano is a guy who's players love to play for, and the entrance of Chud couldn't do anything but help.

Now that all that's out of the way (and I apologize for making this thread so long), we can finally look to the offseason. First, you compare your needs that can be filled through free agency, and the draft. Identify key players, not regarding contract demands or draft projection, that will make a solid impact. (In finally steps my opinion). In the draft, players I'd love on this team (as well as are realistically attainable), and regardless of round projection include: Shayne Skov (2nd round), Michael Sam (2nd-3rd round), Louchiez Purifoy (2nd round), Stanley Jean-Baptiste (3rd round), Jeremiah Attouchu (hopefully 3rd round), Gabe Jackson (2nd round), Kenny Ladler (5th round), Yawin Smallwood (3rd round), Dee Ford (2nd round), Jared Abbrederis (3rd round), Daniel "Mountain" Mccullers (hopefully 5th round), Cauran Reid (hopefully 5th round), Stephon Tuitt (hopefully 2nd round), Bryan Stork (2nd-3rd round), L'damain Washington (7th round), and possibly Ed Reynolds in the 2nd round, but I'm not convinced yet that I'd want to spend a high pick on him, especially if Bethea came back and Bethea's clone Kenny Ladler out of Vanderbilt possibly landing here. Of course, there are more that I'd like to see on this team, but these are just some of my favorites. In free agency, I'd love for us to pick up a center, but I'd only accept Mack or De La Puente,  I wouldn't normally object to another guard in FA, but I just don't know about this years class.

And so, without further ado, I FINALLY present to you, my offseason predictions. Keep in mind that I am strategizing my free agent signings based on if I think that same position will be available to us when we draft, and if I like that particular prospect. (Also, I'm not even going to try with the numbers, but I won't be getting a Philly Eagles dream team, so don't worry about the cap).

Free Agent Signings

1. Alex Mack/Brian De La Puente (whichevers cheaper)
  2. Donald Butler/Brandon Spikes (Haven't decided on which one I like better

Wow, well as it turns it, I didn't have much to go for in free agency. Now, with center and ILB filled, I move on the draft.

Draft

2nd round- Gabe Jackson

3rd round- Michael Sam

5th round- Kenny Ladler

6th round- Ryan Carrathers

7th round- L'damian Washington

Keep in mind that this is before the combine, pro days, player interviews, and prospects are gonna rise and fall like crazy. Take for instance, if Shayne Skov for whatever reason falls, I'd forego signing an ILB and hope on nabbing him in the 2nd round. There's a lot to speculate, and there's certainly a lot here to go off of. I'm sorry everybody, I didn't intend on making this post insanely long and detailed, but I think we all need one of these once in a while. So make of it what you will, and let the chaos that is the offseason begin.

Re-sign Mcafee, Bethae, Davis, Vaughn

Sign Alex Mack and Sidney Rice. Try out Tebow to see if he is worth anything and get media attention for the Colts.

Draft: with the second round pick I would draft Dee Ford if he somehow falls to our lap. Otherwise trade down to get more picks. Use the draft to build defense and OLine

Implement 'Turnovers Thursday' every week of practice. Also implement a system where every time the team wins, the starters are safe and are rewarded with a 5 star chef that I hire to cook any meal that they want. But every time the team lose, the backup players can challenge the starter for their position.  This way the team will always play hard. 

Release
1.Samson Satele

Resign
1.Vontae Davis/6.3 mill per year/5 years + $5 mill signing bonus over the life of the contract= $7.3 mill per year 5 years...Total=36.5 mill $20,000,000.00 guaranteed

2.Adam Vinatieri/$10,000,000/3 years($3.33 mill per year) + $3,600,000.00 signing bonus.....$3.3 mill guaranteed

3.Sergio Brown/$2,300,000.00/4 years/$45,000,000 signing bounus....$620,000 per year

4.Pat Mcafee/9.5 mill over 3 years/3.16 mill per year/$1,000,000.00 signing bonus

5.Cam Johnson/Exclusive Right Free Agent

6.Justin Hickman/1 year $750,000

7.Lawrence Sidbury $750,000 1 year

Free Agents Sign
1.Linval Joseph/4 year/$5,200,000 per year/$300,000 workout bonus= $5,950,000 per year

2.Evan Dietrich Smith/$24,000,000/6 years/$12,000,000.00 guaranteed, $4,000,000.00 signing bonus

Draft:

2.Daquan Jones/4 years $3,464,328
3.Dion Bailey/4 years/Kenny Ladler 4 years $2,592,092
5.Preston Brown/Shawn Jackson 4 years $2,322,800
6.Alex Neutz/$2,220,500/Micheal Campanaro WR's

7.Dri Archer/Jerick Mckinnon/David Fluellen/De'anthony Thomas/Vintavious Cooper/scat backs/4 year/$2,205,896/Jerick Mckinnon

Plus undrafted FA's I have in mind

gallery_250_8_227.jpg