Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Mr. Manning ...

bayone

I have other pressing issues so wont be involved in this thread

This was sent to me from a Denver cousin, its worth a read 

Dear Mr. Manning ...

a Mother responds to her feeling on what the word Legacy means especially for her little kids

--------------------

And most proudly, I am a mom of two little boys who adore their No.18 jerseys and can't wait to find out "how Peyton Manning's team did?" every Monday morning.

So I am undeniably biased.

And it is because of my bias — and lack of NFL analysis experience — that makes me far more qualified to talk about your legacy than any of those analysts, former players, coaches and commentators (I'm looking at you, Mike Greenberg and Cris Carter).

They operate in a world where urgency dictates everything, and controversy and sensationalism make the headlines.

No, I am more qualified because I am a mom.

I actually understand — on the most basic level — what legacy truly means.

Legacy is something handed down that matters. It is something that matters to young players and athletes and kids looking for mentors to help them find their way.

ITS WORTH READING & its not a long article

Read more: Dear Mr. Manning ... - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_25077270/dear-mr-manning#ixzz2saEB9MvN 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need to look up the word legacy in a dictionary

Why? I just don't see how someone involved so much in sports wouldn't have more of an inkling on Manning's legacy than someone who isn't really involved in sports and has no analyst xp. Although it is a nice article, there is more to leave behind than setting a good example for younger athletes 

I liked how Manning answered the question on media day about his legacy. He said he has been asked about it since he was 25 and he is still not sure what the word really means. lol. I thought that was brilliant and I think this letter hits on that a little. There is a football legacy and a personal legacy. But in fairness to Cris Carter and Greenberg and others, their job is to talk about Petyon's football legacy and that in no way is reflective on him as a person.

Why? I just don't see how someone involved so much in sports wouldn't have more of an inkling on Manning's legacy than someone who isn't really involved in sports and has no analyst xp. Although it is a nice article, there is more to leave behind than setting a good example for younger athletes

do you know what the word legacy even means? Its not really your fault that you don't. The media have been misusing the word all season.

I have other pressing issues so wont be involved in this thread

This was sent to me from a Denver cousin, its worth a read 

Dear Mr. Manning ...

a Mother responds to her feeling on what the word Legacy means especially for her little kids

--------------------

And most proudly, I am a mom of two little boys who adore their No.18 jerseys and can't wait to find out "how Peyton Manning's team did?" every Monday morning.

So I am undeniably biased.

And it is because of my bias — and lack of NFL analysis experience — that makes me far more qualified to talk about your legacy than any of those analysts, former players, coaches and commentators (I'm looking at you, Mike Greenberg and Cris Carter).

They operate in a world where urgency dictates everything, and controversy and sensationalism make the headlines.

No, I am more qualified because I am a mom.

I actually understand — on the most basic level — what legacy truly means.

Legacy is something handed down that matters. It is something that matters to young players and athletes and kids looking for mentors to help them find their way.

ITS WORTH READING & its not a long article

Read more: Dear Mr. Manning ... - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_25077270/dear-mr-manning#ixzz2saEB9MvN 

Great article, as always thanks for posting it Barry  . . . you always have an eye for good articles . .  .

Wonderful read and enjoy it . . .

If I just may add "It matters that you returned hope and excitement to a region and to a new set of fans . . . " . . .

I hear Gabriel . . . I just think that the she is looking at a different part of a legacy than we traditional think of . . . there is the on field legacy and just as important the legacy off the field . . . sometimes the media does not have time or inclination to talk about the other legacy . . .

do you know what the word legacy even means? Its not really your fault that you don't. The media have been misusing the word all season.

Am I correct in saying that we're referring to what Peyton is/is going to leave behind once he retires? Obviously not his possessions but like his "effect/impact" on the game and life? 

Is anyone here a resident of Indianapolis? Or was from 1999-2007 roughly? Or was involved in the local bar scene during that time?

I was just curious but how bad was it in Indy prior to Manning? I know about the hospital he built and such but what exactly happened there as a result of him being with the Colts? I know a ton of money was brought it to help you build the new stadium but I always get a sense when I see a thread like this that there was something more to the story then just money and wins on the field.

I was, I'm sure many here are/were as well.

And you never saw him out? *coughHooterscough*

I just tire of all the hero worship....Great job signing autographs and being well spoken, and being polite when your in the limelight, and near cameras. 

People see 30 min of someone 1 day a week for 20 weeks a year in a controlled environment, and suddenly they are moral compasses for the masses. And words like "class" are thrown around like we actually have any idea as to what these people are truly like. 

People have every right to emulate, and praise for accomplishments within the field of play, strive for that all you want, 'play the game the right way' sure....But leave it at that folks..... 

And you never saw him out? *coughHooterscough*

I just tire of all the hero worship....Great job signing autographs and being well spoken, and being polite when your in the limelight, and near cameras.

People see 30 min of someone 1 day a week for 20 weeks a year in a controlled environment, and suddenly they are moral compasses for the masses. And words like "class" are thrown around like we actually have any idea as to what these people are truly like.

People have every right to emulate, and praise for accomplishments within the field of play, strive for that all you want, 'play the game the right way' sure....But leave it at that folks.....

what does going to bars have to do with anything? Lots of good people go to bars

Be Careful people....  Ever hear of

slan·der

ˈslandər/
noun
LAW
  1. 1.
    the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
    "he is suing the TV network for slander"
    •  
  1. make false and damaging statements about (someone).
    "they were accused of slandering the head of state"
    synonyms: defame (someone's character), blacken someone's name, tell lies about, speak ill/evil of, sully someone's reputation, libelsmear, cast aspersions on, spread scandal about, besmirchtarnishtaint

Careful people....  Ever hear of

Not too worried hombre. 

Indianapolis is a small town. It was even smaller back then. And in the times of Goose/George it was even smaller....That said. Word gets around. You end up in the same places as some people on a fairly regular basis. Your able to witness things. Or know people who have been even "closer"....I can tell ya campfire stories on many local celebs.... 

But you're* (see Dustin, a guy can learn!) clearly biased, and Im just a rambling lunatic on a forum. You wouldn't listen to or believe anything I'd have to say about anyone, let alone someone you clearly have an attachment too. 

This rumor was new to me a few weeks ago. Can't prove or disprove, but IT IS a small town and people who want attention will say anything. 

I personally doubt the merit of this claim, because usually people put their name to this kinda thing in this day and age. (see our first round draft pick)

This conversation isn't going to last... 

If anything comes of this, can someone at least point to where this rumor started? 

Be Careful people....  Ever hear of

slan·der

ˈslandər/
noun
LAW
  1. 1.
    the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
    "he is suing the TV network for slander"
    •  
  1. make false and damaging statements about (someone).
    "they were accused of slandering the head of state"
    synonyms: defame (someone's character), blacken someone's name, tell lies about, speak ill/evil of, sully someone's reputation, libelsmear, cast aspersions on, spread scandal about, besmirchtarnishtaint

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120218/index.htm

A good and equal example.

I heard a similar rumor a few year's ago  . . . although the woman telling me couldn't tell me what had happened because she had heard it from someone who had heard it from someone who had heard it from someone else. 

Seems strange to me that if there is any basis to this "rumor" that it wouldn't be all over the internet as Deadspin or TMZ would pay big money to anyone with proof that it was more than just a rumor. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 7, 2014 - rumor
Hidden by Nadine, February 7, 2014 - rumor

I have personally seen him leave establishments with women on two separate occasions. My wifes cousin more than just left with him. As has another friend of mine. The guy had a separate apartment downtown at the time. Given this was 10yrs ago, but it has happened none the less. I dont understand how this could come as a surprise. He was a young, attractive, rich and famous celebrity. This sort of thing happens all the time. And no they don't get reported. Not back then. He wasn't in a car crash hopped up on pills, because his wife beat him for sleeping with 'film' stars (Woods), or sending unwanted male pictures to a reporter (Farve)....And why on earth would the IndyStar report it? You think they would be willing to lose access to Manning and the Colts who were hot at the time?...Then there was the rumor (I cant verify this one) he was seeing a local weather girl on the side (Angela Buchman HOT), which was then followed by the divorce rumors a few months later....If rumors persist for over a decade, generally where there is smoke.....

But again. I could care less about all of this. I care about what the guy does between those white lines. Thats why I watch him, thats why I give my time and money. He can be the biggest jerk in the world, kicking puppies and littering, I simply do not care. Im not raising my daughter to emulate him, and other parents should heed that advice as well....We have absolutley ZERO idea as to what these people are like, and yet we feel comfortable worshiping and idolizing everything they say or do, and pushing our children to be like them, and it is crazy ....Embrace and emulate on the field accomplishments, he's one of the best to ever play the game and we are all extremely lucky to be able to witness his magic first hand, but don't confuse or mix on-the-field persona with real life. The two are not one in the same. For him or any other celebrity/athlete. 

I don't know what people are referring to and I don't care.

This thread, and this article is about

You hand down an example of work ethic, of courage to come back after a career-threatening injury, of humility in victory and graciousness in defeat, and of perspective on one's own accomplishments. That legacy matters, and that's why yours is untarnished even — and especially — after Sunday's loss.

It matters that you're professional in the way you talk to reporters.

It matters that you give credit to others — coaches, teammates, mentors.

It matters that you don't give up in a bad game and keep fighting no matter the odds.

It matters that you take time to write hand-written notes to fans and sign autographs — even after crushing defeat.

It matters that you know the difference between being embarrassed by your team's performance and just not being the best team on the field that day.

I don't think it's necessary or reflects well upon anyone here to take shots.  These things are true.