Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Mr. Manning ...

bayone

Peyton's human he just happens to be one of the better QB's to ever play in the NFL. I think he's a little pompous as well but he has lived his life under a bubble which has got to be mentally draining.

I don't like when women use the "I'm a mom thing". It's nonsense. 

Sports players are entertainment and nothing more to a fan.

I get where you are coming from TAPLOOK. But, is that because Manning is a SB Champion & now 5 time MVP so the media gives Peyton a pass on any question he deflects, sidesteps, or refuses to even answer?

My take on it is this: I don't care if a QB is a made man or not [meaning a SB Champion] no football question is beneath any QB. I can't figure out if the media enables "elite QB protection" from tough reasonable questions or if the QB in question merely uses their fame, prestige, & clout to dodge a gapping weakness that they themselves refuse to see, acknowledge, or even address. It's a 50/50 toss up to me.  

I am still perplexed as to why Manning took such visible offense to the "embarrassment" SB question. Why is that off limits? Why did Peyton get away with dodging that question? I have a real problem with that. You face the music regardless of the outcome. It's called being a professional in a tough moment.

When Brady lost to the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, he was brief but he addressed the question of losing that the media asked him about. I just don't care for elite QBs who think it's okay to take offense to a legitimate question about a lack luster performance. Stand there, be polite, & take your medicine. The sweet taste of victory & the bitterness of defeat. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get where you are coming from TAPLOOK. But, is that because Manning is a SB Champion & now 5 time MVP so the media gives Peyton a pass on any question he deflects, sidesteps, or refuses to even answer?

My take on it is this: I don't care if a QB is a made man or not [meaning a SB Champion] no football question is beneath any QB. I can't figure out if the media enables "elite QB protection" from tough reasonable questions or if the QB in question merely uses their fame, prestige, & clout to dodge a gapping weakness that they themselves refuse to see, acknowledge, or even address. It's a 50/50 toss up to me.  

I am still perplexed as to why Manning took such visible offense to the "embarrassment" SB question. Why is that off limits? Why did Peyton get away with dodging that question? I have a real problem with that. You face the music regardless of the outcome. It's called being a professional in a tough moment.

When Brady lost to the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, he was brief but he addressed the question of losing that the media asked him about. I just don't care for elite QBs who think it's okay to take offense to a legitimate question about a lack luster performance. Stand there, be polite, & take your medicine. The sweet taste of victory & the bitterness of defeat. 

I'm with you. Peyton could have easily said "heck yes I'm embarrassed" as he should have been. I  and everyone else would have understood.

I'm with you. Peyton could have easily said "heck yes I'm embarrassed" as he should have been. I  and everyone else would have understood.

Well said TAPLOOK. The 1 thing you can't do is pretend that the pink elephant in the room doesn't exist. I'm not condemning Peyton. I'm just merely pointing out that the sting of defeat gets neutralized faster when you address the result good, bad, or ugly as soon as possible.

You can't move past anything until you are honest with yourself about what just occurred. 

Peyton really is such a pompous 'you know what'. It's so clear to see. Not sure people try and defend it.

I suggest he uses his fame to get onto TV, and poke a huge amount of fun at himself, to show that he is not as pompous as he appears. Now, if he did that, perhaps most of the country who see him the same way as 'thedude' (the most un-pompous user name on this forum) would change their mind.

So, go on Peyton, why not make some TV commercials that show you are in fact, not that bad a guy.

And while you are at it, win a few more games to show you are a fairly good QB as well.

But that is just not going to happen, because 'thedude' knows his stuff, and speaks for the nation.

Just sometimes, I'm glad I'm British.......

Peyton really is such a pompous 'you know what'. It's so clear to see. Not sure people try and defend it.

I suggest he uses his fame to get onto TV, and poke a huge amount of fun at himself, to show that he is not as pompous as he appears. Now, if he did that, perhaps most of the country who see him the same way as 'thedude' (the most un-pompous user name on this forum) would change their mind.

So, go on Peyton, why not make some TV commercials that show you are in fact, not that bad a guy.

And while you are at it, win a few more games to show you are a fairly good QB as well.

But that is just not going to happen, because 'thedude' knows his stuff, and speaks for the nation.

And yet here you are posting on a US forum .... are the Brits that boring? ;)

haha  I've missed you  ;)       Looking forward  to a game next year to  toast a few   :cheers:

I'm with you. Peyton could have easily said "heck yes I'm embarrassed" as he should have been. I and everyone else would have understood.

Because why should that be embarrassing? Because they lost? Losing isn't embarrassing, and it shouldn't be. The Broncos prepared as hard as they could, and put out their best effort at that point. That's not embarrassing in my book at all.

They just were outmatched, and outplayed. An embarrassment would be not caring, and just winging it. And that is the complete opposite of what they did.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the majority of fans across the country are more in line with my view. People here look at him in the same way Bulls fans feel about Jordan.

I understand what you're saying, but one big difference is that Jordan was never EVER considered a good guy. Quite the contrary.

To the larger topic, which seems to have strayed, somewhat, from the OP, I find it easy to criticize those I don't like, and support those I do like, or want to like. However, given the time to reflect, I try to consider that I've never been in that person's shoes, and I really don't know that person from a hole in the ground. Try to be fair both ways.

I know one thing, I wouldn't handle myself as well in a post game interview as most players do, week after week after week.

Last thought? Tea Bag

I understand what you're saying, but one big difference is that Jordan was never EVER considered a good guy. Quite the contrary.

His fans will deny that. And even if they didn't deny it, it would not make any difference to them.  Just as the fans of Manning will deny anything which doesn't reflect positively upon him.

His fans will deny that. And even if they didn't deny it, it would not make any difference to them.  Just as the fans of Manning will deny anything which doesn't reflect positively upon him.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I don't know enough basketball fans.

I know it goes both ways, also.

In the world of sports including Olympics "winning is everything" and it simply is not as verified by this beautiful young mother (you kids are very lucky to called her "Mom"). We witness hideous adult brawls at little league and pee wee sports. We see salary figures over lifestyles. We see near fatal beatings by fans against fans. We see pro athletes fist fighting fans. We see bench clearing brawls in ever sport. Race drivers attacking each other. We are more interested in Tiger Woods female issues than his performance on the golf course. Money is how we judge athletes because as soon as we learn there has been a signing it is for how much instead of how will this help the team. Winning never should be the only thing simply because remember ABC's "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat", you must know both to build character......you know like Peyton Manning for example. Thanks for the letter young mother.

Actual truth.

I'll give you that one.  He's naturally and honestly a bit pompous

Maybe here, but I'm sure most across the country are closer to my view

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the majority of fans across the country are more in line with my view. People here look at him in the same way Bulls fans feel about Jordan.

doesn't know the definition of subjective & objective...

actual truth...

lol...

Who?  What?

Low reading comprehension...

it's o.k. dude

And yet here you are posting on a US forum .... are the Brits that boring? ;)

How else do you expect him to,pass some time. It's not like England is full of great restaurants and such. The place is populated by the most depressed and gloomy people on earth.

Sounds like OJ except for the QB part.

Because why should that be embarrassing? Because they lost? Losing isn't embarrassing, and it shouldn't be. The Broncos prepared as hard as they could, and put out their best effort at that point. That's not embarrassing in my book at all. They just were outmatched, and outplayed. An embarrassment would be not caring, and just winging it. And that is the complete opposite of what they did.

It was an embarrassing loss from the first tick of the clock until the last. What's wrong with saying that? The most prolific O in the history of the NFL did nothing, zero, zilch, nada, umro nuno it was a huge embarrassment without question.

It was an embarrassing loss from the first tick of the clock until the last. What's wrong with saying that? The most prolific O in the history of the NFL did nothing, zero, zilch, nada, umro nuno it was a huge embarrassment without question.

Right. There's only one reason a player would think that question was insulting.

You must be a Manning worshiper.

Not really, I just know the difference from opinion & research/evidence based evaluation...

saying someone is pompous is a subjective idea...

to me players who must do a special move or dance every time they score is pompous, classic examples: Cam's Superman thing (even when his team is losing), Merriman's light's out dance, even T.Y.'s silly T Y motions are a pompous & silly thing to me...

but that is my own subjective bias, some people are fine with the celebrating that players do on the field...

Most post game interviews/conferences I have seen Peyton give, he actually brings up specific examples of plays or situations from the game, versus the average coach/player speak you often get, (which to me is the antithesis of pompous, but there I go again idol worshipping with my opinions)...

I don't particularly remember Peyton's remarks after the SB, but if you feel he was being POMPOUS, then I am sure he was, since that is your opinion & apparently the majority of the nations...

but it is still your opinion which is a subjective bias, not an "ACTUAL TRUTH"...

It's o.k. dude, just because you don't understand the concept it will be o.k. & you can hold on tight to your subjective opinion that Peyton is a pompous-above everything-conceited-blow-hard...

just don't be surprised that people on a Colts message board probably aren't going to share your subjective opinion, dude...