Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Saving Face?

GoDeep

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is discouraging. He doesn't have to bash the Richardson trade all together, but at least own up to the fact that we didn't get the returns we expected of him in his first year here. But to go the extreme of praising him for being absolutely suck-tastic every game this season is a joke

You should read the IndyStar article: http://archive.indystar.com/article/20140116/SPORTS03/301160021/1058/SPORTS03

One of the more annoying things to me about the media is how they take soundbites, one or two sentences, take them out of context, and extrapolate them into entire articles. Grigson did defend the trade a little, but not the way one might think. He acknowledged that Richardson didn't run that well, but said they expect him to be a better player next year.

What you're not going to see is Grigson openly admitting that he wouldn't make this trade again, given the benefit of hindsight. That might very well be true, but it does no one any good for him to admit that. Maybe it makes some people on a message board feel better, but what's done is done. Richardson is a Colt, and he should have the confidence of the front office and coaching staff behind him.

Very good comparison, Buffalo gave up on Lynch a few years ago.     

And for good reason, ML just did not get it done his last year there.    But he turned it around. 

I think T Rich can make it happen,.

I am actually hoping TR reaches out to ML this off season for advice or training help. Long shot, but i hope he mans up and asks for help.

I thought all Richardson related topics were supposed to be posted in the Trent sticky thread. I was wondering what the thread title meant and then seen it was yet another freakin Trent thread. I'm literally getting very sick of hearing and seeing his name with the same people making 1 dumb excuse after another for his fantastically terrible season.

What's he going to say?

"Richardson didn't give us close to what we were hoping for when we made the trade, boy I wish I could get a do over on that one."

If he says that it's pretty much saying hey Jim I messed up the biggest move I've done other than drafting Luck since I got here.

Sometimes the truth is refreshing...but it wouldn't be good for Trent's confidence...and we are all in on this trade...we have to do whatever will give it the best chance at a successful outcome...even if thats lie about it. Fact is no one could know what would have been the result..its impossible...possible we could have lost them all or won them all without Trent...but ITS PROBABLE that the outcome would not have been different. I have a hard time believing Trent's production above replacement would have made a difference in any game after coming here.

And you must have missed TR's YPC. Works both ways. Sure there is some hope he turns it around next year, but to say what RG said was just coach speak.

Much ado about nothing, mind you.

I'm not saying he had even a decent season I didn't really understand the trade to begin with. But what did everyone expect grigson to say. We just have to hope he turns it around next season

I have been critical of Richardson after long silence about his lack of production & skill. Watching Grigson talk about Trent, He believes he is a good player. I for one still have more doubts, but will go into next year with an open slate & see how the guy does. Someone showed highlights from Cleveland last year & there was some impressive stuff there for sure. Maybe the guy was just overwhelmed with all this, we forget football players are human too. He can for sure pass block, he does have nice hands & he does have some power. I think he dances to much and doesn't hit the hole hard or miss's it completely, put your head down in get up field you are IMO a north south runner. In some of the video he does have some feet & moves all be it last year. Here to hopping he figures it out GO COLTS.

Ballard or Bradshaw had they been healthy could have done the job just fine. Just because Trent did so in their absence, which is why we got him in the first place, does not justify giving a guy more credit than he's due. Make him earn it

But they weren't. You can't argue they would or wouldn't have. fact is they didn't play. While I'm not a diehard TRich fan nor am I a TRich crucifier, I still think he made his presence felt when it came to blocking. I still am holding out on judgement on Trent. He was still basically a rookie this year after sitting last year due to injuries. And with our crappy o line, Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders would have similar stats.....

This is a GM trying to talk up his big trade of his tenure. Trent was pretty useless outside of pass protection and was a huge disappointment this season. He says this as a way to encourage Trent and that the team still believes in him. They do not want to destroy him because I'm sure he is already low after this bad season and being benched for Donald Brown.

Hopefully Trent gets his crap together, stop hesitating, and hits the hole. Him having another poor season will be a nice black mark on Grigs early career.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2014 - inflammatory rant
Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2014 - inflammatory rant

Some of u trent lovers are really a bunch of ignorant s o b ' s ... .....many of us have hated trent since shortly after he got here. Then more n more poor play,slowly more and more hopped on the hater bandwagon. So tell me this,what are all of the trent lovers gonna do/have excuses for next year when he sucks the bag again???? Everybody has ripped us to shreads on this subject most of the year,and to this present day we pretty much have solid facts to back us up! Just sayn, numbers dont LIE and peterson had a crap line n he went for over 2000yards a year ago,so no excuses what so ever.

Like I said..I just wish he'd have said that one time about Donald Brown

No one asked him about Brown, he was asked about Trent, he responded to a question about Trent, there was no reason to bring up Brown and had he it would have been taken as a shot at Trent which he was clearly trying to show he is still very high on Trent. 

It's like someone asking "How do you feel about Andrew Luck?"  Then someone answering, "Let me tell you what if it wasn't for Peyton Manning there would be no Super Bowl Banner in Lucas Oil Stadium."  While the later is true it has nothing to do with the question that was asked. 

Until reading this interview, I was willing to cut Grigson some slack. Every GM makes some bad decisions but this guy better learn to check his ego at the door or he will soon be shown the door. Only an arrogant fool would credit Trent with the Colts record. He was at best a non-factor and at worst took up a roster spot that many available running backs could have used more productively. An amazing statement.

Until reading this interview, I was willing to cut Grigson some slack. Every GM makes some bad decisions but this guy better learn to check his ego at the door or he will soon be shown the door. Only an arrogant fool would credit Trent with the Colts record. He was at best a non-factor and at worst took up a roster spot that many available running backs could have used more productively. An amazing statement.

So let me ask you this simple question: Did you actually read the interview, or are you basing your opinion off of one statement extracted from the interview?

Gotta love how people think that Grigson is only defending his trade and isn't serious. And people that think DB is a good blocker didn't watch some of the same games I watched. I watched brown get blown up more than a couple times trying to block.  I believe in our GM and I feel this franchise is headed in the right direction--with Trent Richardson. He will grow with time and patience.  So hard to Remember Lynch?? Now the dude is a stud.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314233/article/trent-richardson-a-vital-part-of-colts-success-gm-says

I guess this is from the presser today. GM Ryan Grigson asserts that the Colts don't win 12 games without Richardson. The author suggests that maybe we win 13. Is this just Grigson defending the trade in light of a 2.9 YPC? He doesn't really believe this, right?

He did great in blocking and play action fakes, int that way he contributed to DB's gains. 

It is also said in the article, that it took 19 games for Lynch to reach 100 yds. So patience, please. He will fit in our system. 

I think there is alot of truth in what he said about Richardson (and throughout the article on other topics) but as to Richardson specifically...If Im Grigson I lay low a while on that topic and give some form of 'rehearsed" response on that subject or simply refuse to answer any questions related to Trent on the field unless something outlandish pops up, Simply put many fans are not happy with the trade and will only come around when and if Trent starts living up to the hype...There is absolutely nothing Grigson can say or do to prevent that......So what do you do if your Grigson? (in my opinion)....Lay low......Let Trents growth as a person and as a running back do the talking.....Let me be more clear...There was absolutely nothing wrong with anything Grigson said in that article in my opinion and I absolutely want Trent to succeed....That looked to me like a huge vote of confidence in Richardson by Grigson...That seems right now like a bad thing I know (to many fans...not all)considering how Richardsons first year here turned out but it may not be in the future....But you let Trents play determine Grigsons original vote of confidence in Trent by making the trade in the first place

I guess you haven't seen Donald try to pass protect..

You're right!  The Patriots sacked us on almost the same identical blitz up the middle that ended the game for us against Miami and DB was the culprit both times. Needs to improve in that area.........

You're right!  The Patriots sacked us on almost the same identical blitz up the middle that ended the game for us against Miami and DB was the culprit both times. Needs to improve in that area.........

He is just to small (not in height) to take on big Linebackers who are talented enough to put a move on him or D Linemen

He is just to small (not in height) to take on big Linebackers who are talented enough to put a move on him or D Linemen

Going off topic for a second, I swear it seemed like in that Patriots game some of Trent Richardsons vision rubbed off on Donald Brown. It seemed he just didn't know where to go with the football. I could be wrong but it seemed like he was making some really bad reads on some of those draw plays. Didn't seem decisive.

Going off topic for a second, I swear it seemed like in that Patriots game some of Trent Richardsons vision rubbed off on Donald Brown. It seemed he just didn't know where to go with the football. I could be wrong but it seemed like he was making some really bad reads on some of those draw plays. Didn't seem decisive.

Well he didn't have any negative yard runs...He did have 2 for no gain, His longest run went for 16 yards and that was on his final run(a Gap run), I'd go over each of his runs to tell ya what i saw but I'd jut get alot of people saying I have no idea what I see, plus it takes quite  a bit of time

No, not Grigson saving face. Grigson having patience.

When the O-line - hopefully soon - is more or less established, they can build chemistry with TRent. A RB's job is not only to run and then by instinct knowing where the hole will open up. It's about gluing together with the O-line through practice.

Don't come up with this nonsense, that he should've done everything and more joining a team during an on-going season without TC, OTA's etc. b/c it DOES matter... To add on that, the O-line was changed multiple times.

I still believe.