Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Saving Face?

GoDeep

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314233/article/trent-richardson-a-vital-part-of-colts-success-gm-says

I guess this is from the presser today. GM Ryan Grigson asserts that the Colts don't win 12 games without Richardson. The author suggests that maybe we win 13. Is this just Grigson defending the trade in light of a 2.9 YPC? He doesn't really believe this, right?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry but im going to believe a general manager of a franchise over some desk jockey article author. these sports writers tend to think they know more then the front offices of sports teams. if that was the case, then they would be a general manager for a team instead of sitting behind a desk thinking of ways to put down teams in a article. 

I guess you haven't seen Donald try to pass protect..

Ballard or Bradshaw had they been healthy could have done the job just fine. Just because Trent did so in their absence, which is why we got him in the first place, does not justify giving a guy more credit than he's due. Make him earn it

If he is a game changer then why did they make Brown the starter ?

After a few games Grigson had to know he'd been had by the Browns. He ain't gonna admit it, nobody has ever met a person who will say they are bad at their job. Thats not to say Grigson is bad, yet, but last years draft and trading a 1st for Richardson makes me think he could possibly be a one hit wonder.

No matter what he isnt gonna say " man I really goofed on that trade, that guy stinks".

All he can do is hope and pray Richardson comes out looking way better all season then he did on his best day this season. Irsay wants rings, and after the Polian years I dont think he is gonna be as patient with his GM's. He isnt going to want to have one of the best QB's in the league sitting at home watching the Superbowl.

Ballard or Bradshaw had they been healthy could have done the job just fine. Just because Trent did so in their absence, which is why we got him in the first place, does not justify giving a guy more credit than he's due. Make him earn it

Werent they both on IR?

What's he going to say?

"Richardson didn't give us close to what we were hoping for when we made the trade, boy I wish I could get a do over on that one."

If he says that it's pretty much saying hey Jim I messed up the biggest move I've done other than drafting Luck since I got here.

He was huge in pass protection, and in the passing game but for the trade to become a success he has got to make something happen on the ground next season.

And if Indy lets Brown walk and they put all their eggs in the T Rich basket (they better hope Ballard is good to go) ......      that is very risky for job security.

Very good comparison, Buffalo gave up on Lynch a few years ago.     
And for good reason, ML just did not get it done his last year there.    But he turned it around. 

I think T Rich can make it happen,.

Maybe he's our version Lynch.....here's hoping!

You know how Grigs fixes this?  By building one hell of an interior offensive line.  I guarantee that this trade won't look as bad if you get 2 more road graders(along with the return of Thomas, if he can work out) up front.  But I don't think we're ever going to feel we got an equitable trade.  I believe TRich and Ballard are going to split the load(Unless TRich looks really bad).  I suspect a third RB will be drafted or signed via FA.  TRich will at least look average if we get an above average line. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314233/article/trent-richardson-a-vital-part-of-colts-success-gm-says

I guess this is from the presser today. GM Ryan Grigson asserts that the Colts don't win 12 games without Richardson. The author suggests that maybe we win 13. Is this just Grigson defending the trade in light of a 2.9 YPC? He doesn't really believe this, right?

If Grigs had said that statement in reference to Bradshaw, sure SW1 would have believed that remark, but Richardson right now? No way jose. Or should I say lay off the Jose Cuervo Ryan. Only teasing!

Jose_Cuervo_Gold_1L.jpg

Werent they both on IR?

Werent they both on IR?

Werent they both on IR?

Werent they both on IR?

Exactly my point. In the exact same situation, if healthy, both backs would have performed equally if not better than T-Rich did in said situation. Trent did nothing special.

You know how Grigs fixes this?  By building one hell of an interior offensive line.  I guarantee that this trade won't look as bad if you get 2 more road graders(along with the return of Thomas, if he can work out) up front.  But I don't think we're ever going to feel we got an equitable trade.  I believe TRich and Ballard are going to split the load(Unless TRich looks really bad).  I suspect a third RB will be drafted or signed via FA.  TRich will at least look average if we get an above average line. 

I always felt like a first rounder was too much. But you're right, if we improve the interior line play, all of our backs will look better, including Richardson.

What it really comes down to, though, is sometimes teams make bad trades. Sucks when it happens to you, but it happens to everyone. The only way to avoid it is to not make trades at all, and I don't think anyone wants to go back to those days again.

Exactly my point. In the exact same situation, if healthy, both backs would have performed equally if not better than T-Rich did in said situation. Trent did nothing special.

But they weren't available, so your point is moot

If healthy, Trent Richardson would be a Brown still or some other team. Colts only grabbed him due to Ballard & Bradshaw going to IR so you can't make that point that Ballard & Bradshaw would be better cause Richardson filled their shoes when they went down

If healthy, Trent Richardson would be a Brown still or some other team. Colts only grabbed him due to Ballard & Bradshaw going to IR so you can't make that point that Ballard & Bradshaw would be better cause Richardson filled their shoes when they went down

Ballard, yes. Bradshaw got hurt after we traded for Richardson.

actually Bradshaw was still healthy when the trade occurred. But the point still stands

Ballard, yes. Bradshaw got hurt after we traded for Richardson.

actually Bradshaw was still healthy when the trade occurred. But the point still stands

:groan: Oh yeah, you guys are right. Forgot the 49ers game was the game Bradshaw took that hit & messed his neck up. He was a wild man running before that hit though. Loved his toughness running 

Was also DHB's best game imo, then everything went downhill for him

Despite great disappointment in running the ball, I thought Richardson did really well as a pass blocker.  Just because it doesn't show up on the stats, doesn't mean he hasn't contributed

Yeah, I will concede that 21isSuperman, but I expect a veteran RB to hit the crease, run through the hole, & if it's not there stutter step & move outside. Stop running where the most traffic is please. 

I will give Trent one more year because I like his size & attitude to improve his situational awareness on the field, but if he still seems stagnant after another season cut your losses & release him. 

Yeah, I will concede that 21isSuperman, but I expect a veteran RB to hit the crease, run through the hole, & if it's not there stutter step & move outside. Stop running where the most traffic is please. 

I will give Trent one more year because I like his size & attitude to improve his situational awareness on the field, but if he still seems stagnant after another season cut your losses & release him. 

But Trent isn't a veteran SW1. 2nd year player, now 3rd going into next season. Look how long it took Donald Brown (Also a 1st rounder) to finally do well

But Trent will flash faster than Brown did. He showed it his rookie year with almost 1,000 rushing yards. He was just put in a bad situation this year with the Cleveland circus making wild decisions 

If healthy, Trent Richardson would be a Brown still or some other team. Colts only grabbed him due to Ballard & Bradshaw going to IR so you can't make that point that Ballard & Bradshaw would be better cause Richardson filled their shoes when they went down[/quote

Yeah he "filled their shoes" but he did not measure up to their ability.

This is discouraging. He doesn't have to bash the Richardson trade all together, but at least own up to the fact that we didn't get the returns we expected of him in his first year here. But to go the extreme of praising him for being absolutely suck-tastic every game this season is a joke

This is discouraging. He doesn't have to bash the Richardson trade all together, but at least own up to the fact that we didn't get the returns we expected of him in his first year here. But to go the extreme of praising him for being absolutely suck-tastic every game this season is a joke
This is discouraging. He doesn't have to bash the Richardson trade all together, but at least own up to the fact that we didn't get the returns we expected of him in his first year here. But to go the extreme of praising him for being absolutely suck-tastic every game this season is a joke[/quote

Exactly

I didn't, and Richardson blocks well, but that still doesn't warrent the bloated comments from Grigson. Anyone who thinks he does is just as much of a t-rich homer as I am of Da'Rick

You just said any back in the nfl could block as well as Richardson. Brown cannot.

I dont know, maybe I am old fashioned but I like a running back who can at least run a little bit.

Maybe it is the playbook that confuses Richardson, maybe he gets confused as he approaches the line and thinks he is supposed to block the player who tackles him.