Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does this team need a receiver? [Merge]

BlueCollarColts

Rodgers has had many opportunities so far? And you already say he drops too many. He's a rookie and just greeting used to the game. Yeah he's dropped a couple but so does just about every receiver especially being a rookie. Give him more time before we say he drops too many. He's a rookie who was learning on the fly. Its still very very early for him. He will never be perfect by the way and neither will any other receiver.

I read his reports coming out of college and one of the negatives written on him was he dropped too many easy balls. We did see him drop a few in his limited targets fron Luck. So I think it's a legit concern. There has to be a reason other than character when a player goes undrafted and skill set had to be part of this. Not saying he can't be a good WR , but teams will always risk a last day pick on a guy with great talent and character issues.  Plus the guy gets dumped by Buffalo ? 

If the above is not enough to be skeptical , then my bad. I just said that he's not a guy that I would count on going forward. Go back and read my post again and if I said he has no chance , come back and let me know. 

imo we should use rogers more in the red zone, his drop thing ,I hope was a 1 game thing, he can go up and fight for the ball

He no doubt has the size and jumping ability you want for that. Now if he can learn to run good routes , you'll have something.

It's going to depend on how the younger guys adapt to the offseason.

Remember injuries are a huge possibility.. So I don't think you could ever have to many receivers.

If we can find one either in the draft or free agency I say we make the move.

Or make a trade..

Reggie's also in the last year in his contract and by that time he will be 36.. It's very unlikely he comes back.

Garcon took about two seasons to come around so lets not count out Rogers.

Whalen has proven to be a great possession receiver and Brazill shows flashes but both will never be # WR's

Hilton is showing elite status but not consistently but he is going to a very solid #2 

Wayne is the variable, if he comes back at 100% then he is your #1 but the window is closing fast 

That said I think we need to look elsewhere in the draft to fill need, CB, OL, DL

Yes. Numbers-wise we do..I know we expect Reggie back but there is no guarantee what kind of Reggie we get. The offense should be much better with the reps Brazill and Whalen and TY got in crucial games and Rogers is very raw. We don't need an early pick on one..but we need to pick up at least one because we will have injuries and to work in camp. I would expect us to focus very heavily at the OL. We need solid backups at tackle, definately a center, and help at guard. If there is a stud on the board in rd 2 that would fit on the OL I think we take them....we need help in the running game. I'm sure we also look at secondary help too.

Also DT....Redding isn't getting younger...he is a great fit/player but he won't be here forever.

Needs for the Colts: 

Center (Satele needs gone...like 19 weeks ago) 

RG (if Thornton doesn't move over there)

RG/LG quality backups (Reitz is decent at LG, but Link is meh, McGlynn blows at RG)

CB (Toler needs gone...NOW) 

MLB (someone to pair with Freeman) 

FS (Bethea has lost a step or three in pass coverage) 

OLB (Mathis won't be around forever, and Walden/Werner are not the solution) 

In that order 

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...Cody Hoffman

6'4", 215 lbs. 4.56 40 time, very productive receiver at BYU and set a number of school records, not a burner, but has good hands and run goods routes.  He reminds me of a bigger Reggie Wayne/Austin Collie; good hands, good routes, smart player, doesn't have great speed.  He could be another good possession receiver for this offense.  The more I read up on him, the more I like him.  Please draft this guy!!!

If Rogers is the future then he really needs to improve in the offseason cause each pass luck threw his way the other day were right in between the 1 and the 6 and he dropped both.

I was thinking it was 3 drops. Someone said he hoped the drop thing was a 1 game occurrence. He has had at least a drop a game if I recall. Needs to improve if he is to make the HOF as many on here have predicted.

Needs for the Colts: 

RG/LG quality backups (Reitz is decent at LG, but Link is meh, McGlynn blows at RG)

In that order 

Can I remind you Werner was a rookie before you write him off?

Absolutely we do.
Wayne is AT BEST at the very twilight of his career.  Noone should forget what happened to Marv.  He is in his late 30's and has maybe a handful of years left

TY is a true threat, but he NEEDS a consistent, route running, good hands option opposite him to take some of the pressure off.  TY can easily go from a 150 yard game to a 32 yard game.  Luck needs a guy that he looks to on third and 5 (like a Wayne)  If we see a mid round receiver who fits that mold, we should look to take him.

Brazil, Whalen, and Rodgers: These guys have really helped make this offense float this year when we dropped Wayne.  None of them, at this point, look to be able to fill that true #1 position.  Griff looks like a slot, Brazil looks like a 4th option/ST guy and Rodgers... he is interesting.  He has the physical tools and agressiveness I like in a WR.  BUT, if Wayne is done in a couple years, are you confident in knowing your second best WR might be Rodgers (or whalen or Brazil)  I am not

Allen had  a great rookie season but we have no idea what he will be long term.  He didn't look like a Gronk/ Julius Thomas style.  More balanced.  Fleener.... looks to be more and more like a bust.  He may have some moments but he's just not reliable

This team DOES need to find a WR in the draft to groom to replace Reggie
You can NEVER have too many reliable WR's.

Sad part is, we need a rb more than any other position on O. Let that sink in. The Line can be upgraded by just getting rid of satele.

That can't be further from the truth. Vick Ballard is back, and people seem to forget this guy was a good player for us, Richardson will improve I guarantee it, and you can sign Ahmad Bradshaw for cheap if you need to

Can I remind you Werner was a rookie before you write him off?

I don't think judging him on his rookie performance (missing 5 games as well) is all that fair, but we DO need some more pass rushers. That's something you can never have enough of. 

Plus, I think we can all agree the thought of Walden and Werner as our OLB's (once Mathis retires) is not a best case scenario. 

I read his reports coming out of college and one of the negatives written on him was he dropped too many easy balls. We did see him drop a few in his limited targets fron Luck. So I think it's a legit concern. There has to be a reason other than character when a player goes undrafted and skill set had to be part of this. Not saying he can't be a good WR , but teams will always risk a last day pick on a guy with great talent and character issues. Plus the guy gets dumped by Buffalo ?

If the above is not enough to be skeptical , then my bad. I just said that he's not a guy that I would count on going forward. Go back and read my post again and if I said he has no chance , come back and let me know.

What I was really getting at was give him some time. He's a rookie and mistakes including drops are gonna happen. Look at Fleener last year and even Hilton had a number of drops. Got to adjust and some it takes longer. I agree that he certainly had stuff to work on though. Not polished by any means. If he continues a drop trend all through next season then I will begin to come legitly concerned. I understand your side though.

I read his reports coming out of college and one of the negatives written on him was he dropped too many easy balls. We did see him drop a few in his limited targets fron Luck. So I think it's a legit concern. There has to be a reason other than character when a player goes undrafted and skill set had to be part of this. Not saying he can't be a good WR , but teams will always risk a last day pick on a guy with great talent and character issues. Plus the guy gets dumped by Buffalo ?

Also I never referred to anything you said as saying he had no chance. So I'm kinda confused how you got that.

Also I never referred to anything you said as saying he had no chance. So I'm kinda confused how you got that.

The thread was do we need add a WR and my answer was yes. If we could depend on Wayne to come back as good as he was last year , my answer could be different. It's like this... Luck threw that first pass where he thought Brazil was going to be. Brazil isn't there and lets the CB inside. If we have a dependable , good size No 1 type Wr that 3rd and 2 is probably a first down Colts instead of NE at our 1. Those that say Hilton are really full of "beans." He's 5'9" , 175lbs. He's just not the guy you can depend on to get you thsoe short 3rd downs. Neither is Barzil , nor is Whalen. yes you have TE's but IMO we need a big , good #1 type WR. That leaves Rogers... My early observations are he runs really crummy routes and has had problems with dropping the football. I mean .. why else would he see about 20 snaps vs NE. That's about half of what Whalen and Brazil saw.

What I was trying to say to you is "I can't count on this guy to fill a void that I think we have." Do I think he has a chance to be very good ? Yes I do but there were 32 teams that pretty much said no to that question last April. Don't buy that total crap that he was a first round talent and went undrafted due to character concerns. That's absurd. There are character guys that fall out of the first and second rounds but they'll go by the 5th for sure. Who could be a worse problem than Tyronne Mathieu ? The guy smoked pot every day of his life. Failed drug test after drug test. Where does  this undersized (5'9" 185 ) safety get drafted ? Top of the 3rd. 

So what I read you to be saying is that I was not giving Rogers chance and was just writing him off.... which is not was I was doing. Anyway... no big deal. But if Reggie Wayne does not come back strong , I think we'll probably wish we brought in another guy.

Not at all, i see Pep running a lot of 2 TE sets with Fleener and Allen like the Patriots did with Gronk and Hernadez. T.Y and Wayne will be the other two starters. Whalen will be the 3rd WR when we decide to go 3 wide. When we go 4 or 5 wide then Rogers and Brazil comes in. The only things we need offensively is a C and a backup G.

Do we need a WR? Yes

Should we focus on it before other positions such as LB, Interior O-line, and cornerback? No

I like the potential of the WRs on our roster and think there are pressing needs in other places on our roster. I would hate to see us overspend on a WR and not improve the O-line, as that would do us very little good. 

First let me say there is no one out there to get,if it was the pats wouldn't be running all game long. Second our receivers gained a lot of experience with Reggie out. I think we are set .With Allan and Wayne coming back we will be ok in this area imo. I wish we would upgrade our O line first and foremost and be able to run and give Andrew time to throw. If you look at him when he really had time he was as good as anyone. Second the games are won in the trenches bottom line.. Lets fix the O line before we do anything else or mess with our wide outs.

First let me say there is no one out there to get,if it was the pats wouldn't be running all game long. Second our receivers gained a lot of experience with Reggie out. I think we are set .With Allan and Wayne coming back we will be ok in this area imo. I wish we would upgrade our O line first and foremost and be able to run and give Andrew time to throw. If you look at him when he really had time he was as good as anyone. Second the games are won in the trenches bottom line.. Lets fix the O line before we do anything else or mess with our wide outs.

I agree, although if a WR falls to us in the(3rd round) draft, we should take him.

I agree, although if a WR falls to us in the(3rd round) draft, we should take him.

agree

I have to disagree here. I do believe a lot of potential exists in regards to our WR, but we still need a solid possession receiver to compliment TY. Rogers could turn in to that.....hopefully.

I understand but with Reggie coming back we have that and Griff seems to be turning into one in the slot. My point is a rookie will be no better in his first year than what we have now and there is nothing out there or we wouldn't have signed dhb

Absolutely we do.

Wayne is AT BEST at the very twilight of his career.  Noone should forget what happened to Marv.  He is in his late 30's and has maybe a handful of years left

TY is a true threat, but he NEEDS a consistent, route running, good hands option opposite him to take some of the pressure off.  TY can easily go from a 150 yard game to a 32 yard game.  Luck needs a guy that he looks to on third and 5 (like a Wayne)  If we see a mid round receiver who fits that mold, we should look to take him.

Brazil, Whalen, and Rodgers: These guys have really helped make this offense float this year when we dropped Wayne.  None of them, at this point, look to be able to fill that true #1 position.  Griff looks like a slot, Brazil looks like a 4th option/ST guy and Rodgers... he is interesting.  He has the physical tools and agressiveness I like in a WR.  BUT, if Wayne is done in a couple years, are you confident in knowing your second best WR might be Rodgers (or whalen or Brazil)  I am not

Allen had  a great rookie season but we have no idea what he will be long term.  He didn't look like a Gronk/ Julius Thomas style.  More balanced.  Fleener.... looks to be more and more like a bust.  He may have some moments but he's just not reliable

This team DOES need to find a WR in the draft to groom to replace Reggie

You can NEVER have too many reliable WR's.

I could see merit to some of your arguments up until the bolded underlined part.  I disagree about Fleener; he has improved dramatically, and looks like he could be on track to being a top NFL TE.  I definitely don't see where you are getting that he is a bust.

Needs for the Colts: 

In that order 

A good list, however a pass rusher needs to be much high and I would add a DT to the list.