Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today is playoff blackout deadline

chad72

"The NFL defines a team's market area as "local" if it is within a 75-mile radius of the team's home stadium. Therefore, a blackout affects any market where the terrestrial broadcast signal of an affiliate station, under normal conditions, penetrates into the 75-mile radius."

According to the policy I dont think we would be blacked out in Fort Wayne but Im not sure if we fall into the terrestrial market conditons (i dont even know what they mean by this to be honest). The quote came from Yahoo btw.

Fort Wayne is considered a secondary market.  So, any blackout would affect that area also.

As a fan who lives near Fort Wayne, I was always upset when preseason home games were blacked out on the NFLN because the Indy channel was covering that game.

So, even though I had NFLN; I was unable to watch those games because I am not in the Indy viewing area.

In other words, I lived too close yet too far away.  :hairout:

Thankfully, the local FOX station finally decided to air the preseason games.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with Indy no longer being a basketball city.  I would however disagree without the rest of the state.  The further you get away from Indianapolis the more important basketball is. 

As far as rooting for professional sports, the Colts definitively surpassed the Pacers after the brawl.

However, as far as producing professional athletes Indy has a comparative advantage in basketball that stretches across the globe.  There is still a high amount of interest at the amateur level, and the Pacers are starting to attract a whole new fan base.

The implications of a black out would mean something if other cities weren't having the same problem. 

Not quite accurate. The NFL as a whole brings in more than $8B, but most of that money gets distributed to the teams, which pay state and federal taxes. The NFL is considered a non-profit, basically a facilitator for the individual franchises. It's worth arguing whether the NFL should be considered a non-profit with tax exempt status, but the NFL isn't getting a free pass on all the revenue that's generated.

exactly, now i don't have to type this out. i will add that a lot of the nonprofit money is payed in salaries, so it is taxed as income. it makes a good headline for politicians and media with a agenda, but there isn't much behind it as usual.

The leasing contract shouldn't include the option to block those same taxpayers the opportunity to view the game if all the tickets aren't sold.

Why should someone who lives all the way in Ft. Wayne have to travel over 100 miles to watch their home team play?

Not to mention the price of tickets compared to average income is ridiculous all while there is no option to lower the price.

that's a nfl policy. teams can't change it when negotiating any deal with a city or state.

i don't understand the 2nd part.

you think you have a right to live 5 miles from your home team?

if you don't make enough money to afford something you don't buy it, just like everything else.

that's a nfl policy. teams can't change it when negotiating any deal with a city or state.

i don't understand the 2nd part.

you think you have a right to live 5 miles from your home team?

if you don't make enough money to afford something you don't buy it, just like everything else.

The game will blacked out as far north as Ft. Wayne because they are considered in the local market even though it is out of the 75 mile radius.

The game will blacked out as far north as Ft. Wayne because they are considered in the local market even though it is out of the 75 mile radius.

those are the breaks. i live in md and almost never get to see the colts unless it's a national television game. i should be the one complaining, no?

Irsay profits off of every event held inside LOS. He owns the stadium thanks to Indianapolis and Indiana's contribution.

you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. irsay gave up the attendance guarantees that were in the original agreement to get him to move to a small market. read this and get your facts straight.

http://www.wthr.com/story/10239297/colts-letter-to-fans-on-lucas-oil-stadium

#1 reason for tickets unsold = Prices too high

#2 reason for tickets unsold = Ticket purchasing add ons and requirements

#3 reason for tickets unsold = Some fans spoiled by over a decade of winning and only want to see sure wins.

#4 reason for unsold tickets = The weather

as always, jmo.

#1 reason for tickets unsold = Prices too high

#2 reason for tickets unsold = Ticket purchasing add ons and requirements

#3 reason for tickets unsold = Some fans spoiled by over a decade of winning and only want to see sure wins.

#4 reason for unsold tickets = The weather

as always, jmo.

Nothing to do with Pacers and IU both playing?

those are the breaks. i live in md and almost never get to see the colts unless it's a national television game. i should be the one complaining, no?

I realize that it is difficult to be a fan who does not live in Indiana; but, no, you should not be the one complaining.

You always have the option of going to a local sports bar that has coverage of every game.

Even that would be denied to those living in a blackout area. 

I realize that it is difficult to be a fan who does not live in Indiana; but, no, you should not be the one complaining.

You always have the option of going to a local sports bar that has coverage of every game.

Even that would be denied to those living in a blackout area. 

sports bars absolutely suck to watch a game with no volume and/or another games audio.

the same can be said to anyone that is blacked out. why not drive to a bar that is outside the blackout area? it's only one game, not most of the year.

sports bars absolutely suck to watch a game with no volume and/or another games audio.

the same can be said to anyone that is blacked out. why not drive to a bar that is outside the blackout area? it's only one game, not most of the year.

I think there is a big difference between having to drive down to your local bar or favorite restaurant if you live outside of the viewing area and having to drive to another state to watch the game if you live in Indiana and this game is blacked out.   

Also if you live outside of Indiana the game will be on NBC nationally you don't need Sunday ticket to see the game. 

Yes, I could drive to a sport's bar; but as GoColts8818 said, it would be quite a long drive. 

It seems to me that you are determined to be unsympathetic and have a haha "sucks to be you" attitude. 

So, I'm done. 

It seems to me that you are determined to be unsympathetic and have a haha "sucks to be you" attitude. 

So, I'm done. 

not at all. this conversation started because some people think the colts owe it to them to televise the game. i was just stating why they don't.

I thought the new blackout rules meant that a team can sell at least 85% and won't be blacked out?

So wouldn't that mean the Packers can still broadcast with 14,000 left, and the Bengals 9,750.

Unfortunately Irsay opted out of this so the Colts require 100 percent sales.

I thought the new blackout rules meant that a team can sell at least 85% and won't be blacked out?

So wouldn't that mean the Packers can still broadcast with 14,000 left, and the Bengals 9,750.

Unfortunately Irsay opted out of this so the Colts require 100 percent sales.

I don't know about the Bengals but I have a hard time thinking the Packers opted into that.  If I recall there is a fee you have to pay or something if you took the 85% rule to the point that if you were a team who regularly sold out it made no sense to opt into it. 

I already have tickets to the game but still interested to see if the game will be blacked out. I just clicked the link to purchase tickets on Colts.com to ticketmaster and it says tickets are unavailable for this event. Does that mean it is sold out or just a glitch in ticketmaster's website?

I can see it now if we win it all during all the celebrations at home:

Andrew Luck: "And as the Super Bowl Champions I just want to say....WE HAVE THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD!!!! *roaring applause* But, where were all of you when we tried our hardest to get you all to come to that Chiefs playoff game? Huh? At home in your pajamas? Watching the Pacers? Well you are here now.....in your spanking new Super Bowl shirts."

j/k all......:)

I hope this all works out. It's too bad a lot of this chatter with 3 home teams this weekend with the tickets has to over shadow a lot of the actual football talk. I am sure it will all work out though in the end.

I already have tickets to the game but still interested to see if the game will be blacked out. I just clicked the link to purchase tickets on Colts.com to ticketmaster and it says tickets are unavailable for this event. Does that mean it is sold out or just a glitch in ticketmaster's website?

I just looked at ticketmaster.com and came up with hundreds of pairs(seats together) In the lower bowl in section 101,102,103,105,108,136,145,152,153.  I sit in section 1 sit in section 101 and can tell you I love these seats.

Assume the game gets blacked out....

I live In Fort Wayne.

I cant afford a playoff ticket and all that goes with it.

Can I go to my friends house, also in Fort Wayne, and watch it on his Direct TV that has the NFL package (hes an Eagles fan)?

no. blackout rules apply to satellite nfl sunday ticket too. doubt it gets blacked out though

I live in Fort Wayne. I will never support that channel or anything they have to do with if they blackout this game. Period. 

it's up to the nfl not the local station. you really think they don't want to show the game?  :scratch:

so much complaining about free markets and public funded stadiums. the nfl has a right to televise it's games or not, and to set ticket prices and policies for whatever reason it decides. fans have the right to buy tickets or not. if people don't buy tickets the price will come down, that's how the free market works. as far as cities paying for stadiums, businesses are given deals all the all the time to entice them to relocate or stay. why shouldn't a sports team have the same option? indianopolis wouldn't even have a team if this didn't take place when the colts left baltimore. all of this is the free market working the way it's supposed to and what made this country the best in the world!! stop complaining.

The Colts came to Indianapolis because the state legislature decided they wished to use eminent domain against the Irsays .

The Colts were'nt enticed they were unappreciated & about to be forcibly taken by the state .

The blackout rule is 50 years old created when ticket prices were low but were the main source of income for teams so it made sense in those times it nolonger does & the FCC will change it I believe .

the blackout rule -- enacted before the Internet and even (gasp!) ESPN -- is an anachronism that's hammering consumers.

The NFL insists that the rule "is essential to promoting live attendance and thus improve the stadium experience." But in February 2013, five U.S. senators wrote this letter to Federal Communications Commission Secretary Marlene Dortch, calling the rule a "relic of a different time." They also pointed out that in this economy, rising ticket prices "have made attending a football game an unaffordable luxury for many fans."

And recently, FCC commissioner Robert McDowell issued a statement saying: "We live in a world with not only local broadcast stations, but also cable, satellite, the Internet and wireless, and where television and mercheadizing revenues exceed ticket sales. It is appropriate for us to re-examine the rule in light of marketplace changes."

Hey citizens of Indianapolis................what kind of people are you!!??

At least the Packers fans can say it will subzero on game day!!

FOR SALE: 100,000 portable radios and if you act right now we will include a free No.2 pencil for you to keep score with while the game is being shown to all parts of the world........ except Indy.

The Colts came to Indianapolis because the state legislature decided they wished to use eminent domain against the Irsays .

The Colts were'nt enticed they were unappreciated & about to be forcibly taken by the state .

The blackout rule is 50 years old created when ticket prices were low but were the main source of income for teams so it made sense in those times it nolonger does & the FCC will change it I believe .

the blackout rule -- enacted before the Internet and even (gasp!) ESPN -- is an anachronism that's hammering consumers.

The NFL insists that the rule "is essential to promoting live attendance and thus improve the stadium experience." But in February 2013, five U.S. senators wrote this letter to Federal Communications Commission Secretary Marlene Dortch, calling the rule a "relic of a different time." They also pointed out that in this economy, rising ticket prices "have made attending a football game an unaffordable luxury for many fans."

And recently, FCC commissioner Robert McDowell issued a statement saying: "We live in a world with not only local broadcast stations, but also cable, satellite, the Internet and wireless, and where television and mercheadizing revenues exceed ticket sales. It is appropriate for us to re-examine the rule in light of marketplace changes."

All of that is true but, I really don't think the government should get involved in any of this

Let the free market work.........it's worked for the NFL up till now........and if it's not working.....they should change

it's their business, let them handle it

I think our politicians have more important things that the should be doing anyway

Can't speak for anyone else, but Pacers/IU regular season vs. Colts playoff game... No brainer, I'm going to watch a playoff game EVERY time.

So you are going to give up tickets you have already purchased and the purchase Colts tickets? The problem is the Pacers and IU games were scheduled long before the Colts playoff game so people probably went ahead not knowing what was in store for the Colts when it comes to the playoffs.  Most people are not going to double dip and give up tickets they already have.

m.twitter.com/JimIrsay

Based on Irsay's latest tweet, I'm assuming no blackout.

I agree & this is why IMO the Colts biggest fan Jim Irsay ..  I believe he picks up whats left . 34 cents on the dollar .

Tickets in premium club sections and luxury suites have been excluded from the blackout rule (indeed modern NFL stadiums have reduced general seating in favor of club seating and luxury suites, as this makes it easier to sell out the stadium and avoid blackouts, and this revenue does not have to be shared with other franchises), as have unused tickets allocated to the visiting team. Alternatively, some NFL teams have arrangements with local television stations or businesses to purchase unsold tickets. Teams themselves are allowed to purchase remaining non-premium tickets at 34 cents on the dollar (the portion subject to revenue sharing) to prevent a blackout.[3][4]

Fort Wayne is considered a secondary market.  So, any blackout would affect that area also.

As a fan who lives near Fort Wayne, I was always upset when preseason home games were blacked out on the NFLN because the Indy channel was covering that game.

So, even though I had NFLN; I was unable to watch those games because I am not in the Indy viewing area.

In other words, I lived too close yet too far away.  :hairout:

Thankfully, the local FOX station finally decided to air the preseason games.

We've got season tickets and playoff tickets so the blackout isn't an issue, but I live an hour west of you in a triangle where we have 2-3 ABC's, CBS's, NBC's, etc. because we get stations out of Indy, Fort Wayne, and South Bend.  So this Saturday my DVR is set to record WNDU-NBC out of South Bend because it's out of the blackout area.

:clap: .

I agree & this is why IMO the Colts biggest fan Jim Irsay ..  I believe he picks up whats left . 34 cents on the dollar .

Tickets in premium club sections and luxury suites have been excluded from the blackout rule (indeed modern NFL stadiums have reduced general seating in favor of club seating and luxury suites, as this makes it easier to sell out the stadium and avoid blackouts, and this revenue does not have to be shared with other franchises), as have unused tickets allocated to the visiting team. Alternatively, some NFL teams have arrangements with local television stations or businesses to purchase unsold tickets. Teams themselves are allowed to purchase remaining non-premium tickets at 34 cents on the dollar (the portion subject to revenue sharing) to prevent a blackout.[3][4]

$.34 rule doesn't apply to playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/teams-can-buy-unsold-postseason-tickets-at-full-price/

so much complaining about free markets and public funded stadiums. the nfl has a right to televise it's games or not, and to set ticket prices and policies for whatever reason it decides. fans have the right to buy tickets or not. if people don't buy tickets the price will come down, that's how the free market works. as far as cities paying for stadiums, businesses are given deals all the all the time to entice them to relocate or stay. why shouldn't a sports team have the same option? indianopolis wouldn't even have a team if this didn't take place when the colts left baltimore. all of this is the free market working the way it's supposed to and what made this country the best in the world!! stop complaining.

I agree, which is why I loved that Minnesota was trying to get the NFL to lift the blackout rule for the new, publicly-funded stadium.

It's a shame it failed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--vikings-get-their-new-stadium--but-fans-are-still-subjected-to--blackout--rule.html