Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The unsung player of the game

fvantagio

I was re watching the game and wow did Hugh Thornton have a heck of a game. He flat out dominated Antonio Smith 1-1. Even stonewalled Watt a couple times. Only hurry he allowed was in a 1-1 with Watt..Would have been a sack if not for Lucks ability to get rid of the ball last sec, but nonetheless thats still only 1 pressure allowed all day in which he was playing the best dlinemen in the league. And the best part? Thats just pass protection! Both of Browns key runs on the first drive where sprung off big time blocks by Thornton. First one he literally blew the LB back 4 yards, the 2nd he did a great job moving through traffic on a pull and stuck the LB in the hole. Then there was TRich's long screen pass..didnt make a key block or anything but did a great job of getting down field and is a lot faster then a 330lb man has any right to be. To top it off, he also made the key block that allowed TRich to walk into the end zone.

For him to have this kind of game after probably having his worst game as a pro against Houston earlier in the year only adds to how impressive he played.

Well done Mr. Thornton..Well done.

The only way you learn is by playing, so even though he's stunk it up most of his rookie year...he has improved. He might just pan out after all. This was a great learning experience for him and i hope to see a STUD guard next year.

Not always true. Players can also develop and engrain bad habits by getting forced into action too soon (think Ugoh...)

i think playing a two win team and beating them easily will make pretty much everyone look good. Not saying these young guys aren't coming along, just think we should look at the quality and size of this sample, before we start voting them into the pro bowl.

True, but remember the Titans where playing a winless Colts team 2 years ago, and the Texans a 1 win team. Yet we beat them both. Division rivalries are different then any other game. The records need to be thrown out when they're played. Look at the Jags and Colts recent record, sure the Colts beat em a majority of the time but how many of them came down to last minute plays? Far to many considering that the Colts where a perennial playoff team while the Jags are a perennial basement dweller.

Colts also  only allowed 4 hits on the QB according to the official score card of the NFL.......We got 8 hits. Have not seen the All 22 yet to see how we did it exactly....I also do not know what they justify as a hit on the QB.....Is it a hit only if the QB has the ball in his hands but does not go down for a sack? Is it a hit even if the QB gets rid of the ball?  Do they separate hits from sacks?

I was re watching the game and wow did Hugh Thornton have a heck of a game. He flat out dominated Antonio Smith 1-1. Even stonewalled Watt a couple times. Only hurry he allowed was in a 1-1 with Watt..Would have been a sack if not for Lucks ability to get rid of the ball last sec, but nonetheless thats still only 1 pressure allowed all day in which he was playing the best dlinemen in the league. And the best part? Thats just pass protection! Both of Browns key runs on the first drive where sprung off big time blocks by Thornton. First one he literally blew the LB back 4 yards, the 2nd he did a great job moving through traffic on a pull and stuck the LB in the hole. Then there was TRich's long screen pass..didnt make a key block or anything but did a great job of getting down field and is a lot faster then a 330lb man has any right to be. To top it off, he also made the key block that allowed TRich to walk into the end zone.

For him to have this kind of game after probably having his worst game as a pro against Houston earlier in the year only adds to how impressive he played.

Well done Mr. Thornton..Well done.

Good observation and thank you.  I have not rewatched the game but as I was watching it appeared he was playing well.

On the defensive side, Moala had a very good game coming in for RJF, played as well if not a little better than RJF has been playing.  That is not a knock on RJF, he had been the most consistent player along the line before he got injured.  Also Redding stepped it up big time and had his best game in a long time.