Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh McNary

BlueCollarColts

Is it just me or has this guy been really impressive for us? He has good speed and has power, as evident of his big hits these past few weeks. I think the guy deserves to start, we may have a diamond in the rough with him

2 tackles per game....not a great sample size, but promising nonetheless......

We just discussed this in the Angerer thread, but I need to say some things.  First I have always liked Conner.  The kid can tackle and HIT.  Josh McNary can be as good as he wants to be and has a fantastic LB coach leading him in the right direction (Jeff Fitzgerald)  

There is not a single thing not to like about McNary at this point.....

• Great size....251 lbs
  • Good speed...ask Case Keenum :)
  • Excellent balance
  • Great desire to meet the QB and say hello.
  • Uses hands well to 'control' blocker.

While we are still working him in, I am in hopes that he will be seen even more in the base defense with Freeman/Conner....nice corp...and old Werner is beginning to show flashes too.... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!!!

We just discussed this in the Angerer thread, but I need to say some things.  First I have always liked Conner.  The kid can tackle and HIT.  Josh McNary can be as good as he wants to be and has a fantastic LB coach leading him in the right direction (Jeff Fitzgerald)  

• Great size....251 lbs
  • Excellent balance

While we are still working him in, I am in hopes that he will be seen even more in the base defense with Freeman/Conner....nice corp...and old Werner is beginning to show flashes too.... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!!!

With you totally on McNary ,seen nothing but positives in his play.The guy flat out lays the wood !!! Also agree on Werner might be starting to get it !

• Great size....251 lbs
  • Excellent balance

Plus he's in his rookie year, he has room to develop. And he will! Just give him more snaps!

With you totally on McNary ,seen nothing but positives in his play.The guy flat out lays the wood !!! Also agree on Werner might be starting to get it !

I don;t know if everyone noticed, but Werner even set the edge nicely at least 2 times...rely the only one to do it other than Walden.  Shows he IS learning. :thmup:

I don't know why people were so quick to throw the towel in on Bjoern Werner.

He was one of the few player's drafted who had to play a completely NEW position. Add that to how hard it already is to play in the NFL, that's not an easy task

Mostly because of where he was drafted. He will be a good player once it starts clicking (which it seems to be earlier than I expected). When you take someone in the first round, expectations are that they will be an impact player immediatly, when this is rarely the case. Werner was taken where he was for long term potential, not short term impact.

It seems to me every time he plays hes got a knack of being in the right places at the right time .Seems to have that what we would refer to in basketball as court sense ,something that cant be taught,you either have it or don't.This is what I see from him on the Football field in the little time ive seen him play ! Maybe trying to say he sees the whole field and is aware whats transpiring around him lol

He was one of the few player's drafted who had to play a completely NEW position. Add that to how hard it already is to play in the NFL, that's not an easy task

I guess some of he folks need to feel how a torn plantar fascia feels......it is simply awful.  Is that what RJF has too....

I know foot pain...and this tear is excruciating too...especially if it includes any heal spurs.

It seems to me every time he plays hes got a knack of being in the right places at the right time .Seems to have that what we would refer to in basketball as court sense ,something that cant be taught,you either have it or don't.This is what I see from him on the Football field in the little time ive seen him play ! Maybe trying to say he sees the whole field and is aware whats transpiring around him lol

That is why I used "He has great balance above, Jay"  He will be leaning toward the line of scrimmage, and then pivots much like a defensive player in basketball to smothly cover out of the backfield.  I have seen him do it 3 or four times.

Great use of basketball Jay!! :thmup:

I don;t know if everyone noticed, but Werner even set the edge nicely at least 2 times...rely the only one to do it other than Walden.  Shows he IS learning. :thmup:

On one of those plays, someone was yelling his name very loudly: "THERE YOU BJOERN! THERE YOU GO BJOERN! THERE YOU GO BJOERN!"

I watched the play a couple times again, and noticed he was setting the edge very perfectly on a strong side run... against DeAndre Hopkins. LOL I got a kick out of that. Werner is improving on the outside against the run, and showing some burst and fight to get to the ball. But I think whoever it was that was so excited on that play didn't quite realize that our rookie linebacker was having his way with a rookie wide receiver.

I guess some of he folks need to feel how a torn plantar fascia feels......it is simply awful.  Is that what RJF has too....

I know foot pain...and this tear is excruciating too...especially if it includes any heal spurs.

It really is. Feels like you're stepping on a nail. And it can nag, for months, leading into fasciitis, which there's no real treatment for, other than rest. 

On one of those plays, someone was yelling his name very loudly: "THERE YOU BJOERN! THERE YOU GO BJOERN! THERE YOU GO BJOERN!"

I watched the play a couple times again, and noticed he was setting the edge very perfectly on a strong side run... against DeAndre Hopkins. LOL I got a kick out of that. Werner is improving on the outside against the run, and showing some burst and fight to get to the ball. But I think whoever it was that was so excited on that play didn't quite realize that our rookie linebacker was having his way with a rookie wide receiver.

He really showed me something there yesterday.  Keep him healthy and keep the learning curve 'positive...'  Kid has the motor and desire.  I really enjoyed watching him yesterday.

He might not have the "stats" but he is a force and always around the ball. Every time I've seen him in I've seen good things. Has very good speed for his size also. I hope we keep him at ILB

He has been a factor in the pass defense,in the last couple of weeks he has forced some bad throws by the opposing QB's, hasn't got any sacks yet, but has gotten good pressure up the middle, keeping the QB's from stepping up in the pocket and really lays the wood when he gets there. Seems to have a real good feel for how to time the blitz. The sacks will come, in the mean time he is altering plays and becoming a real factor. Yesterday he was on the field on most all of the 3rd and passing downs, and had a big impact. Let's hope he gets more snaps, I really like what I'm seeing of Mcnary and I think we've found our other ILB. I've always liked Conner too and just can't figure out what the coaching staff has against him.

Both JOSH and Da'rick are the only bright spots from that horrible draft by grig's and they weren't even drafted!!! Both of these guys will start next year. That's why i've never got the hype of 1st rd draft picks, because you can get equal, if not better players in later rounds. For reference remember the names CHRIS BORLAND AND KENNY BELL...both will be drafted late and both will challenge for rookie of the year. I'm not a GM and even i can see special talent.

Both JOSH and Da'rick are the only bright spots from that horrible draft by grig's and they weren't even drafted!!! Both of these guys will start next year. That's why i've never got the hype of 1st rd draft picks, because you can get equal, if not better players in later rounds. For reference remember the names CHRIS BORLAND AND KENNY BELL...both will be drafted late and both will challenge for rookie of the year. I'm not a GM and even i can see special talent.

is this the kenny bell from Nebraska or from Alabama

So Werner has been playing well, Thornton has been decent having been thrown into the fire earlier than expected and has been improving, Hughes is showing constant improvement but yet it was a horrible draft?  I'm not even sure how one could say with a straight face that a draft was horrible before the players from that draft have even finished their rookie year.  But to each their own I suppose.

Mostly because of where he was drafted. He will be a good player once it starts clicking (which it seems to be earlier than I expected). When you take someone in the first round, expectations are that they will be an impact player immediatly, when this is rarely the case. Werner was taken where he was for long term potential, not short term impact.

That's the problem.  People need to temper their expectations. I still say the 2012 draft spoiled a lot of fans.  The immediate impact players are typically the top 10-15 picks and sometimes not even that many, not the entire first round.  I would think if any fanbase would know this it would be the Colts fanbase since the Colts have picked towards the end of the first round for much of the last decade.  

So Werner has been playing well, Thornton has been decent having been thrown into the fire earlier than expected and has been improving, Hughes is showing constant improvement but yet it was a horrible draft?  I'm not even sure how one could say with a straight face that a draft was horrible before the players from that draft have even finished their rookie year.  But to each their own I suppose.

It wasnt as sexy as last years draft but coupled with un- drafted free agents , not as bad as some on this forum would like us to believe.

on top of that, i am pretty sure he was new to football in college.  we didnt draft him thinking he would hit anything close to his ceiling this season.  he is a bit of a project and could turn into a heck of an OLB.

on top of that, i am pretty sure he was new to football in college. we didnt draft him thinking he would hit anything close to his ceiling this season. he is a bit of a project and could turn into a heck of an OLB.

The film they showed on him during the draft said he started playing tackle football when he was 15. Before that it was soccer, then flag football. That's if my memory is correct. In any case, he was playing a different position in college. He (and every other rookie) should have some time to adapt to the NFL. I don't think they should be labeled a "bust" too quickly.