Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo article on Adongo

chad72

I just do not understand the game of Rugby.

I don't understand it 100% either but its a game of field position without a lot of scoring! it's like soccer except they run with the ball and they lateral the ball to other players instead of kicking it around.

I don't understand it 100% either but its a game of field position without a lot of scoring! it's like soccer except they run with the ball and they lateral the ball to other players instead of kicking it around.

Soccer looks dreadfully boring, rugby quite the opposite.

There is also the IndyStar article, which mentions a few other interesting tidbits.

In the article, they quote Robert Mathis as saying, "Whether he's using a spin move, a chop spin, rip dip, bull rush, he's working."

And Corey Redding said, "Whoever is across from him is in trouble. You're gonna see."

I'm pretty excited about the potential of this guy. He has the potential to be an elite pass rusher.

I played Rugby at quite a high level for several years, and am moving to New Zealand for 8 months for some coaching. So if any of you have any questions abot Rugby I am happy to answer.

There is nothing more boring than negative rugby where teams plau for field position, imagine a game of football where teams punted when ever they were inside their own 20!

There is also the IndyStar article, which mentions a few other interesting tidbits.

In the article, they quote Robert Mathis as saying, "Whether he's using a spin move, a chop spin, rip dip, bull rush, he's working."

And Corey Redding said, "Whoever is across from him is in trouble. You're gonna see."

I'm pretty excited about the potential of this guy. He has the potential to be an elite pass rusher.

I am as full of hyperbole as the next man. But it's a stretch to imagine him being an elite pass rusher. Even being a starter would be a huge achievement.

I am as full of hyperbole as the next man. But it's a stretch to imagine him being an elite pass rusher. Even being a starter would be a huge achievement.

Yeah, we might want to wait until we see him play his first football game - ever - before getting too excited.

We've seen plenty of star pass rusher who have proven themselves in college get schooled by experienced pro players.

I just do not understand the game of Rugby.

It really not that bad to learn if you take the time to watch.  I was deployed to a RAF base some years back at the same time as they hosted their yearly Rugby tournament.  I learned it pretty quick watching while also having some Britt friends explain it to me.

20 years ago there wasn't much scoring but nowadays rugby games would have as many tries as NFL games have TD's.  They've changed the rules over the last few years to make the game much more flowing to encourage teams to run the ball alot more than kick for field position.

I hope Adongo goes well, he seems like a nice guy but he was a semi-pro rugby player at best so I'm not holding my breath.

I played Rugby at quite a high level for several years, and am moving to New Zealand for 8 months for some coaching. So if any of you have any questions abot Rugby I am happy to answer.

There is nothing more boring than negative rugby where teams plau for field position, imagine a game of football where teams punted when ever they were inside their own 20!

Which did you play? 13 a side? 15 a side? I'm a newbie at it, but I think it's great. I actually bought extra sports channels so I could watch it during the NFL off-season.

Holy Smackers!

If he is very athletic and has good speed, maybe a strong side rush linebacker.

Being Smart a Big bonus. No reason this guy can`t be in the rotation next season.

Werner starts Adongo his backup? woot woot!

Not to pop open a can of worms....but he might make a nice short yardage / goal line RB too.

Decent 10 minute primer on how a game of rugby at the top level should look is the last few minutes of Ireland vs New Zealand from a couple of weeks ago.  Ireland trying to get their first ever win over NZ after over 100 years of play, NZ trying to make it 14 wins from 14 games and become the only International team in the professional era (post 1995) to win all their games at the top tier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985d5nBQjOE&feature=player_detailpage#t=5024

That link starts at 1.23.40 into the vid with about 8 minutes left on the clock, Ireland leading and close to the line looking for a score to put the game on ice.  Many of the players are already gassed from what had been a hectic game.  As a sample it shows most of what a rugby game involves.

Which did you play? 13 a side? 15 a side? I'm a newbie at it, but I think it's great. I actually bought extra sports channels so I could watch it during the NFL off-season.

I played 15 a side, which is called Rugby union. 13 a side is rugby league. The most noticeable difference between the two is rugby union has rucks, which are like mini scrimmages...sort of.

Two pieces of advice;

Watch rugby sevens, it has much the same rules as union, but with seven a side. As the pitch is the same size making for some great free flowing action.

Any chance you get to watch the all blacks play, take it. They play "the right way" and some of the all time greats are on their side right now. The likes of Dan Carter and Richie McCaw.

Football is not rocket science. There is no reason to believe a gifted athlete can't excel more than one sport. Maybe the biggest impediment is preconceptions.

Decent 10 minute primer on how a game of rugby at the top level should look is the last few minutes of Ireland vs New Zealand from a couple of weeks ago.  Ireland trying to get their first ever win over NZ after over 100 years of play, NZ trying to make it 14 wins from 14 games and become the only International team in the professional era (post 1995) to win all their games at the top tier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985d5nBQjOE&feature=player_detailpage#t=5024

That link starts at 1.23.40 into the vid with about 8 minutes left on the clock, Ireland leading and close to the line looking for a score to put the game on ice.  Many of the players are already gassed from what had been a hectic game.  As a sample it shows most of what a rugby game involves.

I can't believe how silent that stadium got when the guy was about to kick after the penalty. Amazing.

I can't believe how silent that stadium got when the guy was about to kick after the penalty. Amazing.

Seems to be an Irish thing really, they're very fussy about that even when the other team is kicking.  Most of the other away venues you'd get normal sort of noise, albeit not quite as much as in an American Football game.

At times the Irish silence thing actually seems more offputting than the usual noise you'd get elsewhere, which the kickers from NZ/Australia/South Africa etc are more used to.

Seems to be an Irish thing really, they're very fussy about that even when the other team is kicking. Most of the other away venues you'd get normal sort of noise, albeit not quite as much as in an American Football game.

At times the Irish silence thing actually seems more offputting than the usual noise you'd get elsewhere, which the kickers from NZ/Australia/South Africa etc are more used to.

It is an Irish and English thing. Thomond park, just down the road from me, is famous for it.

It is an Irish and English thing. Thomond park, just down the road from me, is famous for it.

The England game the week before they had the signs up to try and get the crowd to be quiet and the fact is they were still noisy as anywhere else.

With the Irish it just seems part of their culture, especially at Thomond as you say.

We shouldn't hype him up because he could turn up to be a huge embarrassing disappointment.

He hasn't even tackled anyone yet. He cant hurt his own teammates.

Like he said, he is still learning. Let him take his time. Id say by next year, he will be mostly ready

Rugby is a similar sport but its the strategy that may take him time..

So your saying the translation of your skills to the NFL really isn't all that easy, for you anyway, then?  adongo is having to work hard, Mathis admits that.  And it appears Adongo is putting that work in.

My whole thing with this is, if he looks that good in practice, why hasn't he been playing all along when we've lacked a counter pass rusher to Mathis all season? The players and coaches were raving about Chapman like this in preseason too, and he's just decent. Nothing jaw-dropping about his performance, that I've seen yet anyways