Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo article on Adongo

chad72

The England game the week before they had the signs up to try and get the crowd to be quiet and the fact is they were still noisy as anywhere else.

With the Irish it just seems part of their culture, especially at Thomond as you say.

I didnt mean England as a national side. Watch my home team, Leicester. The silence is unnerving at times.

Seems to be an Irish thing really, they're very fussy about that even when the other team is kicking.  Most of the other away venues you'd get normal sort of noise, albeit not quite as much as in an American Football game.

At times the Irish silence thing actually seems more offputting than the usual noise you'd get elsewhere, which the kickers from NZ/Australia/South Africa etc are more used to.

So rugby is like the last play of an NFL game when the team is down by 7 and they're out of time and they're trying to lateral it back to each other to get a touchdown. You can only advance when running or kicking (why do they kick it away sometimes?) and can only throw backwards, no forward passing. I'm trying to learn the rules... think you can help?

So rugby is like the last play of an NFL game when the team is down by 7 and they're out of time and they're trying to lateral it back to each other to get a touchdown. You can only advance when running or kicking (why do they kick it away sometimes?) and can only throw backwards, no forward passing. I'm trying to learn the rules... think you can help?

Yeah sort of.  There's 15 players on the field for each team and because you can only pass backwards sometimes running the ball can be extremely difficult hence the kicking.  Also when you're tackled the opposition can attempt to win the ball off you (the play doesn't stop like NFL) so continually running the ball carries risks.

Sometimes it's better to kick for field position and force the opposition into running from difficult field position.

To be honest if you like NFL but don't understand rugby (union) then you should really watch Rugby League.

Rugby Union is the sport you've probably heard more of as it's more international but Rugby League is much easier to understand and similar to the NFL and is pretty much played in Australia, England and New Zealand.  In Rugby League you are only allowed to pass the ball backwards (like rugby union) but you have 6 plays to make 100 metres (sorta like 4 plays to make 10 yards n the NFL).  

Rugby League is much easier to understand, the hits are generally bigger.

Here's a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82M30_9ulE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My whole thing with this is, if he looks that good in practice, why hasn't he been playing all along when we've lacked a counter pass rusher to Mathis all season? The players and coaches were raving about Chapman like this in preseason too, and he's just decent. Nothing jaw-dropping about his performance, that I've seen yet anyways

Well, I wasn't trying to imply that he's ALREADY an elite pass rusher, only that I think he has the potential. That said, the same question could be asked of someone like Da'Rick Rogers, who from everything I've read was an absolute beast in college and went undrafted SOLELY because of off-field issues, who they put on the freaking' practice squad, when SURELY he would have been a better option than DHB.

Something funny that happened during the game that I noticed.  When the Bengals did the short high kickoff Adongo recovered the kick.  What's funny about that is in rugby short high kickoffs are the norm and his job in rugby would be retrieve those kicks.  

Somewhat ironic it occurred in his first NFL game :-)

Ima say it right now. Jonah Lomu would have been a better Wide reciever than Jerry Rice.

No chance. He was known for being very slow to turn around and didn't have good hands.  He was better suited to rugby than he ever would have been in the NFL.

Plus he was playing in an era where rugby was making the transition from amateur to professional and as a result the fitness/size of some of the guys he was running against wasn't at a pro sports level.

No chance. He was known for being very slow to turn around and didn't have good hands. He was better suited to rugby than he ever would have been in the NFL.

Plus he was playing in an era where rugby was making the transition from amateur to professional and as a result the fitness/size of some of the guys he was running against wasn't at a pro sports level.

Maybe later in his career. But he was quick as anyone on the pitch in his prime. And Lomu was one of the best pure athletes rugby has ever seen.

But my post wasmt entirely serious. Where in NZ are you?