Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots loss puts Colts closer to possible first round bye.

Dustin

Colts currently hold the # 2 seed in the AFC over the Patriots via better conference record.

Pats play Denver next week which (in the likelyhood of a loss) should give us a comfortable lead in tiebreakers on the chance we finish with the same record. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

We've been given a gift. We have to take advantage of it and take care of our own business.

It's a good week when your team wins and both teams in front of you in the playoff seeding lose.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We still have to play @KC and @Cincy those are going to be really tough games.

I have to hope that NE and Cincy lose another game or two in case we have another misstep. (Knock on wood)

I kind of hope New England wins that one. We will then be closer to overtaking the #1 seed. Granted this is based on us beating the Chiefs later.

no way man. If new england wins that game, you can kiss 1st round bye good bye. we need NE to lose as many games as possible to get the #2 seed. Our best bet at getting a bye is NE losing some games and us winning the games we should and some.

Just beat Arizona first lol

Precisely, prove to the NFL wizards out there namely ESPN & NFL Network [sarcasm intended] that the Colts won't collapse without Bruce Arians calling plays for Andrew Luck. I respect Bruce & have no problems with him at all. I just want to shut these foolish football pundits up for once. SW1 wants to crush the AZ Cardinals so bad I can taste it.

Just to prove a point: There will be no football funeral in INDY as a result of Arians departure from the Hoosier State once & for all. I want this more than a 1st round bye because resting players in the Playoffs messes with team rhythm & chemistry. Byes are overrated IMO. I've seen INDY earn them & get eliminated the following week far too often under the Dungy era. 

Actually I hope we don't get a bye. Number 2 is great but let's face it, we came out flat from our bye this year. This being a young team, I think we need to have that first game to stay focused.

Nope don't you remember we beat Denver after our bye. We need a bye just in case there's significant injuries in the next few weeks. A bye is a bye, I'll take it any day.

We have to take care of business too. After this long week off the Colts need to stop dinking around and show up ALL THE TIME. On defense.....please we know you can do it. Special teams.....we know you can do it.

Offense.......they had no Wayne for the last 3 games, it's time to move on and start gelling this thing once and for all with what we have.

GO COLTS

Actually I hope we don't get a bye. Number 2 is great but let's face it, we came out flat from our bye this year. This being a young team, I think we need to have that first game to stay focused.

This is illogical. Playing an additional game which could lead to a loss, and more injuries, vs getting one game closer to the SB and not risking injury plus the benefit of healing for those dinged up....

I'll take the bye....if it is on offer.

Rookie mistake. Avoid all sites if you want to stay in the dark. I don't even fire up my email in cases like this....

not a first time, i didn't watch denver-kc either, but spent a lot of time on "colts football" yesterday and didn't spoil it.. avoiding facebook, yahoo and nfl.com was always enough..

today the first topic title on "colts football": "Patriots loss..."  :no:  i guess that's what you get after a decade of obsession with a hated rival...

at least the outcome of the game was satisfactory :)

not a first time, i didn't watch denver-kc either, but spent a lot of time on "colts football" yesterday and didn't spoil it.. avoiding facebook, yahoo and nfl.com was always enough..

today the first topic title on "colts football": "Patriots loss..."  :no:  i guess that's what you get after a decade of obsession with a hated rival...

at least the outcome of the game was satisfactory :)

And to think, when I first started getting into the NFL (mid-eighties), I had to wait until Tuesday to get the scores!

I guess, all of our remaining games but Jacksonville gonna be tough. I think our schedule is tougher than we thought before the season.

Eh idk Houston and Tennessee should we wins. I know divisional opponents always play it tough but if we can't beat them at home this late in the season with playoff implications we don't deserve to go anywhere. 

no way man. If new england wins that game, you can kiss 1st round bye good bye. we need NE to lose as many games as possible to get the #2 seed. Our best bet at getting a bye is NE losing some games and us winning the games we should and some.

Bingo.  At this point, KC and DEN have a strangle hold on the #1 seed.  They play each other one more time.  So one of them will automatically get another win, which means that whoever wins will need to lose at least 3 games of the remaining 5 and we'd pretty much have to win out.  If we lost one game, it could not be against KC, provided KC beat DEN next time.  Not that its impossible, but its unlikely.  It is much more likely for us to get a #2 seed if DEN beats NE.  That way we would just simply have to keep pace with NE.  A much easier task.

Bingo.  At this point, KC and DEN have a strangle hold on the #1 seed.  They play each other one more time.  So one of them will automatically get another win, which means that whoever wins will need to lose at least 3 games of the remaining 5 and we'd pretty much have to win out.  If we lost one game, it could not be against KC, provided KC beat DEN next time.  Not that its impossible, but its unlikely.  It is much more likely for us to get a #2 seed if DEN beats NE.  That way we would just simply have to keep pace with NE.  A much easier task.

I third this, the 1st round seed is going to Denver or KC, they are not likely to both lose that many games so as to give us a realistic shot at the #1 seed.  

Well, that might be overstating it slightly, since we get to play KC. So we'd essentially need to make up 2 games on Denver and/or 1 game on KC PLUS a win over KC.

It's still very unlikely, but the point is, it's still possible. Although I'm still rooting for Denver next week to try to solidify the bye.

Well, that might be overstating it slightly, since we get to play KC. So we'd essentially need to make up 2 games on Denver and/or 1 game on KC PLUS a win over KC.

It's still very unlikely, but the point is, it's still possible. Although I'm still rooting for Denver next week to try to solidify the bye.

Maybe, but probability-wise, I just don't see it happening. 

Still, lets presume the Colt's win out (a questionable assumption but just for argument's sake).  

What do you think the chances are that presuming the Colt's win out they would get the #1 seed from KC and Denver?  I'd put it at maybe 10 to 15% chance.  

However if the Colt's win out I believe we already have the #2 seed.  

Hope the Bronco's beat the Pats.  Although they have 2 injuries to be concerned about.  Welker has a concussion and J. Thomas apparently did something to his knee.  Nothing is certain yet but they are gonna be hurting without those guys on the field.  

Man it would be sweet if we get the number 2 seed, Broncos lose to the Chiefs and get the 5th seed and possibly have to go back to LOS. 

That game would be very interesting.

But we have to worry about beating the rest of the teams on our schedule. And since we lost to the Rams, Dolphins, and Chargers, I don't feel confident about getting the number 2 seed with our schedule.