Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Moments in Indianapolis Colts History

HarassedOffTheSite

Not sure I approve of the order. But a decent list. I'd take out #6 and insert the 1988 Halloween Game against the Broncos. And there has to be a place for Ray Butler's catch in the Oct 84 game against Pittsburgh at the Hoosier Dome (the 1st big play as the Indianapolis Colts).

1. Super Bowl XLI

2. AFC Championship Game vs. New England

3. The Monday Night Miracle (Tampa Bay)

4. Manning vs. Luck

5. Peyton Manning Breaks Dan Marino's Record

6. Chuck Pagano Returns to the Sidelines

7. Colts Beat Packers in Wake of Pagano's Cancer News

8. Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison Break Record

9. Jim Harbaugh Leads Colts to Improbable AFC Championship Run

10. Trading for Eric Dickerson

Ehhh it's completely subjective.

Yeah I know. Everyone has their own idea of "greatest moments." I would just swap that out and put in 4th and 2 in my list. Maybe even the whole Manning-to-Luck transition (not just the game they played) as well. Kind of long for a "moment" but still a big part of Colts history. 

Errrrr man you had to go there...... my blood still boils when I think about that game.

You aren't the only one... 16-0 all but locked up. Completely killed the team motivation. Of course we only managed 1 win in the post season that year. I still blame the old team management for that nonsense

You aren't the only one... 16-0 all but locked up. Completely killed the team motivation. Of course we only managed 1 win in the post season that year. I still blame the old team management for that nonsense

2 wins that postseason. Played Balt and NYJ.

Not sure I approve of the order. But a decent list. I'd take out #6 and insert the 1988 Halloween Game against the Broncos. And there has to be a place for Ray Butler's catch in the Oct 84 game against Pittsburgh at the Hoosier Dome (the 1st big play as the Indianapolis Colts).

1. Super Bowl XLI

2. AFC Championship Game vs. New England

3. The Monday Night Miracle (Tampa Bay)

4. Manning vs. Luck

5. Peyton Manning Breaks Dan Marino's Record

6. Chuck Pagano Returns to the Sidelines

7. Colts Beat Packers in Wake of Pagano's Cancer News

8. Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison Break Record

9. Jim Harbaugh Leads Colts to Improbable AFC Championship Run

10. Trading for Eric Dickerson

I would put #2 over #1. That was our real super bowl to be honest

The game against the Texans when Orlovsky was our QB in 2011 and Reggie Wayne caught the game-winning TD pass with seconds left in the game on Thursday Night Football.  Just the fact that we beat a team with 10 wins when we had only one win at the start of the game.  It's surprising there is only 13 players from that game still on the roster.   

Honestly the 06 AFCCG was the GREATEST moment in Indianapolis Colts history because for one it happened in our city but two just everything that went into that game.  The Super Bowl that year was very much like the Gold Medal game after the Team USA pulled off the Miracle on Ice in 1980.  Yes you had to win that game to win the big prize but what people remember was the game before it and by winning the championship it made that previous win that much sweeter but make no mistake the previous win was the big win. 

The game against the Texans when Orlovsky was our QB in 2011 and Reggie Wayne caught the game-winning TD pass with seconds left in the game on Thursday Night Football.  Just the fact that we beat a team with 10 wins when we had only one win at the start of the game.  It's surprising there is only 13 players from that game still on the roster.   

It's very much like the Paul Justin lead win over the Packers in 1997.  It's big for the moment but in three to four years it's not nearly as important because it happened in a season that frankly you just want to forget. No question it's the highlight of that season though. 

I don't see how trading for Dickerson could even make it on this list.

It was the first time football in Indianapolis mattered.  It was big for the time and for that era.  I can understand how most fans don't view it as that big now a days because frankly most of us just weren't around at that time either by age or just not into the Colts during that time.  When you look at it from the perspective we have had after the winningest decade in football no it doesn't seem very big but when you look at it from the time the trade was made when the only thing the Colts knew was losing since they came to Indianapolis it was huge.  Much like how some younger fans even question how much Jim Harbaugh and 95 meant to this city and this team.  I honestly heard a younger Colts fan question why Harbaugh is in the Ring of Honor since he was only here form 94 to 97.  When all you are used to is winning years like 95 or 87 don't seem that big but when you look at what was going on around them you can see why they stack up as iconic moments in franchise history.  Are they as big as the Super Bowl winning season?  No but they hold their own place. 

We managed two wins and got to the Super Bowl and what I think makes fans even more mad about that is the decision WORKED the way Polian wanted it too.  The Colts were fresh and ready to go at the start of the playoffs (which was the goal of the move) and got to the Super Bowl.  Yes I know we lost the Super Bowl and as much as fans would love to say it was because we yanked the starters in the Jets game it wasn't.  So I think fans are even more mad because what Polian did worked.  I think in some ways had we gone one and done fans would have at least felt better about being able to go see what you did was wrong and you paid for it.  I am not saying people would have liked it more because they wouldn't have but at least they would have the satisfaction of seeing what they felt was the biggest crime of Polian's tenor failing. 

We managed two wins and got to the Super Bowl and what I think makes fans even more mad about that is the decision WORKED the way Polian wanted it too.  The Colts were fresh and ready to go at the start of the playoffs (which was the goal of the move) and got to the Super Bowl.  Yes I know we lost the Super Bowl and as much as fans would love to say it was because we yanked the starters in the Jets game it wasn't.  So I think fans are even more mad because what Polian did worked.  I think in some ways had we gone one and done fans would have at least felt better about being able to go see what you did was wrong and you paid for it.  I am not saying people would have liked it more because they wouldn't have but at least they would have the satisfaction of seeing what they felt was the biggest crime of Polian's tenor failing.

You post so much considered and well thought comments, then you hit us with this? Really. We rested the starters, quit on something no one had every done,screwed with our momentum, pisssed off our fans, crapped on the game, gave the Jets a life, lost Freeney on the rematch and played limp. The plan flat out failed. It got us nothing other than humiliation.

Polian got all he deserved when Jim served him his papers. My worst all time sporting moment.

Polian's move there never bothered me. Complete teams have always done that. I know it ticks off a lot of people, but I think people honestly thought it was better to play meaningless games at full strength and go 19-0. I'm glad fans aren't in control all most all of the time. 

Subjective for sure. To those who didn't note the links, this is from Bleacher Report.........  :rollseyes:

Personally I'd consider Trading for Dickerson (#10) to be closer to one of my ten worst Colts moments.

And as much as I love Peyton and Marv, I have no interest in elevating someone setting an individual record (#5, #8)  anywhere near a list like this. The TD record occurred in the middle of a thrilling comeback. Ironically the COMEBACK was far more exiting, interesting, and important than the record.

Similarly, I have no idea what Pagano's return has to do with this either. The poor guy got sick. Thank goodness he got better - but one of the ten best moments of the past 30 years? Come on.

Manning vs Luck #4? I'm starting to think that the guy who wrote this is VERY young. It wasn't as big a moment as this years SF game, and it was comparable to the Seattle game. I don't see how cheering for (or beating) a former player makes this an all time great COLT moment? Much anticipated and exciting event, yes. Close to his #3 on the list? Not even on the same planet.

It's also odd to call the entire 95 playoff run a "moment". I'd be more specific - there might be multiple events from that run that warrant being on the list. His idea of a moment ranges from a coach walking onto the field, to three playoff games combined. Not a well defined concept for a list.

However I agree that #1, 2, 3 and 7 should all be on there somewhere.

I would add getting to the second super bowl with Peyton as a high light. Altough we didn't win IMO getting there a 2nd time was an Awesome accomplishment.

Exactly - it was called "AFC Championship game against the Jets". In the aftermath of the game 15 nonsense, with many in the media (and NY in general) actually thinking that the Jets earlier win had been a "real" accomplishment, that game was special. Particularly coming out in the second half, making adjustments, and shredding them - putting all doubt to rest.

It was the first time football in Indianapolis mattered. It was big for the time and for that era. I can understand how most fans don't view it as that big now a days because frankly most of us just weren't around at that time either by age or just not into the Colts during that time. When you look at it from the perspective we have had after the winningest decade in football no it doesn't seem very big but when you look at it from the time the trade was made when the only thing the Colts knew was losing since they came to Indianapolis it was huge. Much like how some younger fans even question how much Jim Harbaugh and 95 meant to this city and this team. I honestly heard a younger Colts fan question why Harbaugh is in the Ring of Honor since he was only here form 94 to 97. When all you are used to is winning years like 95 or 87 don't seem that big but when you look at what was going on around them you can see why they stack up as iconic moments in franchise history. Are they as big as the Super Bowl winning season? No but they hold their own place.

I just tend to think the second run to the Super Bowl despite the Colts losing was much bigger than Dickerson coming to town. I remember those early days when the team was terrible, but was more interested in baseball at the time... it was what I played from 88 to 92. The biggest move at running back, and the first time I started paying attention to our teams running back was in 94 with Marshall Faulk. A much more important move for the franchise.

You post so much considered and well thought comments, then you hit us with this? Really. We rested the starters, quit on something no one had every done,screwed with our momentum, pisssed off our fans, crapped on the game, gave the Jets a life, lost Freeney on the rematch and played limp. The plan flat out failed. It got us nothing other than humiliation.

Polian got all he deserved when Jim served him his papers. My worst all time sporting moment.

Did I say I liked it or it was a good idea?  No.

Do I think fans are ever going to be okay with it, myself included?  No.

Did it accomplish what Polian wanted which was to have the team fresh and ready to go for the playoffs?  Yes.

Polian's move there never bothered me. Complete teams have always done that. I know it ticks off a lot of people, but I think people honestly thought it was better to play meaningless games at full strength and go 19-0. I'm glad fans aren't in control all most all of the time. 

Me too if we think Polian was bad I'd really hate to see what the team's record would be if all the would be GMs had their way.  Think about just a few days ago we had people saying we should go get Justin Blackmon, funny those people aren't saying boy was I wrong for the most part when it came out this week he was suspended.  You only hear from the would be GMs when they get it right which does happen because we have a lot of truly smart posters here but honestly NO GM is perfect. They are all going to mess up now and then.  The only difference is when they make a mistake people see it.  When the would be GMs are wrong people normally forget what they ever posted in the first place.  Where are all the trade the pick and draft another QB last year people or draft RG3 people now?  The same place the draft Ryan Leaf people are re-writing history and saying they wanted Luck all along. 

Honestly the 06 AFCCG was the GREATEST moment in Indianapolis Colts history because for one it happened in our city but two just everything that went into that game.  The Super Bowl that year was very much like the Gold Medal game after the Team USA pulled off the Miracle on Ice in 1980.  Yes you had to win that game to win the big prize but what people remember was the game before it and by winning the championship it made that previous win that much sweeter but make no mistake the previous win was the big win. 

I would  say if you ask anyone on that team which ring or trophy they cherish more it would be the SB. That is the greatest achievement in football, that's why we play the game. 

Yes beating Brady  was great but history will show the SB. You cant argue against that.....

If you include one regular season game as a greatest  moment, then no reason why you cant add beating the greatest player in the Indy era and his new team to that list. ( Remember you guys wanted to add the AFCCG vs Pats over a SB win)

Lastly this is Brians list he shared.