Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're Close...

doogansquest

Despite the woes on defense; despite our inability to consistently sustain drives to help said defense; despite all of the injuries...

We have been close 5 games in a row.

Our fans complain that we're getting slaughtered, yet good teams are walking away with a sigh of relief after nearly losing to us. We are making mistakes late in the game - a handful of plays, usually - to give it away, but our guys are playing SOOOO hard. Yet we are all talking about destruction; tearing things apart from the top down.

We are without the best player in football, and the improvements to both lines have been stalled by injuries. Yet we have been close for 5 straight weeks.

We can stay close to anyone. Now we just have to figure out how to win. That's what Painter hasn't experienced yet. He needs to learn how to win.

I'm not being overly optimistic, nor am I choosing to look at things half full. I'm just being honest. We are making a handful of mistakes (not necessarily because of coaching), and it's costing us close games.

I don't know when, or if it will happen this year, but we can get some wins. I don't feel like we need to start pawning everyone off and look to life without Manning. Not yet. It's not "better for the team" to lose and get a better draft position. If the team is good, drafting 5th or 25th won't matter. We've seen that for a decade. When the Packers needed a to of improbable help just to back into the playoffs last year, should they have tanked for draft position instead? I'm not saying we're winning the Super Bowl this year, nor do I think we will even make the playoffs. But there is nothing wrong with winning, and we're close...

Despite the woes on defense; despite our inability to consistently sustain drives to help said defense; despite all of the injuries...

Our fans complain that we're getting slaughtered, yet good teams are walking away with a sigh of relief after nearly losing to us. We are making mistakes late in the game - a handful of plays, usually - to give it away, but our guys are playing SOOOO hard. Yet we are all talking about destruction; tearing things apart from the top down.

We are without the best player in football, and the improvements to both lines have been stalled by injuries. Yet we have been close for 5 straight weeks.

We can stay close to anyone. Now we just have to figure out how to win. That's what Painter hasn't experienced yet. He needs to learn how to win.

I'm not being overly optimistic, nor am I choosing to look at things half full. I'm just being honest. We are making a handful of mistakes (not necessarily because of coaching), and it's costing us close games.

I don't know when, or if it will happen this year, but we can get some wins. I don't feel like we need to start pawning everyone off and look to life without Manning. Not yet. It's not "better for the team" to lose and get a better draft position. If the team is good, drafting 5th or 25th won't matter. We've seen that for a decade. When the Packers needed a to of improbable help just to back into the playoffs last year, should they have tanked for draft position instead? I'm not saying we're winning the Super Bowl this year, nor do I think we will even make the playoffs. But there is nothing wrong with winning, and we're close...

i agree , we played a good game today, very exciting till the last 2 min, yes we are close

lol,lol,lol,lol.close to firing the worSE coach in the game, thank godness. only good insight you have provided. no disrespect meant, but when you are 3 of 233 including paid people to observe coaches and teams that think caldwell and staff are doing great, hmmmmm you might be WRONG!

lol,lol,lol,lol.close to firing the worSE coach in the game, thank godness. only good insight you have provided. no disrespect meant, but when you are 3 of 233 including paid people to observe coaches and teams that think caldwell and staff are doing great, hmmmmm you might be WRONG!

You are WRONG!

he's 4 of 234.

He didn't say the coaches are great.

He is just pointing out that this team has managed to compete and be close in games NO ONE has given us a chance of winning, including most of its fans.

You DO realize the heart and soul (Manning) of this team's future is in question, right?

I think its admirable that the team has still been able to show up and compete when the world has counted them out.

I am gaining a new respect for "my" team. Regardless of wins and losses.

Edited by WoolMagnet

Im not going to disagree, because we have been close. 3/4s close, every game. But at no point, in any game, was I confident we would win.

And those games have been against Clev/KC/TB/CIN, which doesnt instill any sort of confidence.

Its such a sad state of affairs in Colts land that we've been relegated to postings about maybe getting 1 win. If that just doesn't indicate that something, anything, needs to be changed, Im not sure what else would do it.

First off.........look at who we played. Today we got beat by 10 by a rookie qb and a team that prior to the season starting, was imploding after losing their best qb since Esiason, their best WR threat in Johnson, and perennial legal issues with the rest of the team.

We were close against a very "UnSteelerlike" football team. A solid, but not great, Bucs team. A below average Chiefs and Bengals squad. Andy Dalton is a rookie in the NFL and threw for 264 yards, 1 td and only had 7 incompletions. I agree with your take to a point. We have definitely made games interesting and for the most part, close. However, in the last 3 weeks, we are still 0-3 and getting beat by an average of 7 points. I will be the first to admit and am on record stating my biggest fear was we would not only ever win, but we would be getting blown out. That said, we need to be getting better because the schedule isn't going to get any easier. I fully expect the Saints next week to pound us. It could be very ugly. We will most likely be competitive at Tennesse the following week, but will then be 0-9. We will lose to ATL the following week and be 0-10. Our best chance is against another pathetic team in Jax. Our next chance at winning comes against those same Jags in the last game of the year. Bottom line is the most games we will win is going to be 3 and I say it will end up being 2.

I thought this was going to be a sarcastic rant but I see your serious. Unfortunately, close doesn't mean a hill of beans. They are just as close to getting blown out as the are winning a game and they haven't played any high-powered offenses as of yet.

While I agree that we have been close in the last 5 games, they have been against horrible teams. We are celebrating close losses against Cleveland, KC, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay and I know Pittsburgh is a good team but they looked horrible that night. I con't believe the optimism you are showing. We are getting ready to go on an extremely tough stretch of high quality teams. That is when you can be happy about a close loss.

If the dog hadn't stopped to nonsense he'd have caught the rabbit.

"Close" don't count.

almost doesn't count

Im not going to disagree, because we have been close. 3/4s close, every game. But at no point, in any game, was I confident we would win.

And those games have been against Clev/KC/TB/CIN, which doesnt instill any sort of confidence.

Its such a sad state of affairs in Colts land that we've been relegated to postings about maybe getting 1 win. If that just doesn't indicate that something, anything, needs to be changed, Im not sure what else would do it.

1. I never said the coaches were great, or even good. So nice job of misquoting like a *.

2. I never said "almost" counts as "winning," so please show me where I said that. I just said we're close, and we're better than people are willing to stomach.

3. Close doesn't count with most things, but we were all expecting to get pounded every week. If all of these teams are terrible, why did TB beat the Saints today? What's Pittsburgh's record? What's Cinncinati's record? Kansas City has gotten better every week with two consecutive wins and a close call against San Diego. Cleveland has only lost to teams with winning records, and two of those games were close. Their defense is also 9th in the NFL right now. So yeah, we've lost to terrible teams. Pittsburgh had a bad night because of how we played them. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. As to the stats of players like Andy Dalton (who has proven capable in games other than today's): I did mention our woes on defense. In spite of those woes, we're not getting pounded. How was Palmer playing, btw? And Ocho? L...O...L...Green is already better than Ochocinco ever was. Now they have a phenomenal offensive line, a balanced attack, and the league's best defense. They are 4-2. How terrible are they? That's even with the Steelers, Saints, and Giants. Tampa Bay is 4-2 as well. All of those teams are tougher than Atlanta or Carolina right now; two teams you seem afraid to play. Baltimore and New England look good, though the latter is pretty awful on defense, and their offense is shrinking the more they play and reveal themselves on film.

We did lose by 10, but considering it took a blocked field goal and a major defensive play by the league's best defense to finish us off, I'd say the game was a lot closer than the score suggests.

5. I never said I was confident we would win any of those games either. But does anyone here think we're less than a Peyton Manning short of being 5-1 or even 6-0 right now? I mean seriously?

If we are so bad, but we're close against teams who have their starting quarterbacks and winning records, what does that say about them? Doesn't that mean the rest of the league is bad? These are teams that are winning important games, but squeaking by against us.

P.S. People want to blame someone, so they point fingers at the top. Makes them feel better about themselves, or makes them feel as though they are observant or smart. But that's just not the case. Someone has to win, and we've been close. You expect Curtis to end games the way Peyton does? Seriously?

Edited by doogansquest

You expect Curtis to end games the way Peyton does? Seriously?

I think most of us want a coach/team that can pull their own weight and win games without the GOAT at the helm. It's not about Painter, it's about how terrible the team/coaching staff is. A great deal of our team consists of absolute garbage. Painter himself is mediocre at best...and unfortunately that translates to most of our players as well. Many are flat out terrible.

The goal for every team should be winning the Super Bowl. Not to hope and pray for 1-2 wins a season. If the Super Bowl is out of reach, when you're not improving every season to ultimately get there and win it you FAIL.We have flat out not improved since 2004/2005 in spite of our Super Bowl in 2006. We have gotten chronically WORSE.

The only reason we won a Super Bowl was the D decided to actually show up for a brief stretch which happened to be the playoffs. 2/3 of a complete team (special teams still stunk) and an OK coach was enough to get the job done. Overall, 2004 was the best team we've had during Manning's time here. The O-line was great and we had more weapons than ever. This was the peak of our offense. Unfortunately we ran in to the best TEAM of the decade in a raging blizzard on their home turf. Basically the 1/3 of a team we normally have was at its best. I

For myself and many others the current state of affairs is not all that shocking once news of Manning's health came about. The flaws of the team have been apparent enough for years. Manning could mask a black hole of ineptitude.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

4. I never said I was confident we would win any of those games either. But does anyone here think we're less than a Peyton Manning short of being 5-1 or even 6-0 right now? I mean seriously?

If we are so bad, but we're close against teams who have their starting quarterbacks and winning records, what does that say about them? Doesn't that mean the rest of the league is bad? These are teams that are winning important games, but squeaking by against us.

A young Peyton yes, but I'm not sure and no one else is entirely sure how Peyton is coming back. It definitely will not be younger. So I can't look at that as a silver lining personally.

And what that means, is those teams we lost to are medicore, which leads to further anguish as to the teams future against truly good teams. And I'm not entirely sure I would say anyone squeaked by us this year. I dont believe any team we have played this year is a playoff team. The closest being HOU.

I think most of us want a coach/team that can pull their own weight and win games without the GOAT at the helm.

It's not about Painter, it's about how terrible the team/coaching staff is. A great deal of our team consists of absolute garbage.Painter himself is mediocre at best...and unfortunately that translates to most of our players as well. Many are flat out terrible.

HOW DARE WE ASK SO MUCH OF OUR TEAM!?

1. I never said the coaches were great, or even good. So nice job of misquoting like a *.

2. I never said "almost" counts as "winning," so please show me where I said that. I just said we're close, and we're better than people are willing to stomach.

3. Close doesn't count with most things, but we were all expecting to get pounded every week. If all of these teams are terrible, why did TB beat the Saints today? What's Pittsburgh's record? What's Cinncinati's record? Kansas City has gotten better every week with two consecutive wins and a close call against San Diego. Cleveland has only lost to teams with winning records, and two of those games were close. Their defense is also 9th in the NFL right now. So yeah, we've lost to terrible teams. Pittsburgh had a bad night because of how we played them. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. As to the stats of players like Andy Dalton (who has proven capable in games other than today's): I did mention our woes on defense. In spite of those woes, we're not getting pounded. How was Palmer playing, btw? And Ocho? L...O...L...Green is already better than Ochocinco ever was. Now they have a phenomenal offensive line, a balanced attack, and the league's best defense. They are 4-2. How terrible are they? That's even with the Steelers, Saints, and Giants. Tampa Bay is 4-2 as well. All of those teams are tougher than Atlanta or Carolina right now; two teams you seem afraid to play. Baltimore and New England look good, though the latter is pretty awful on defense, and their offense is shrinking the more they play and reveal themselves on film.

We did lose by 10, but considering it took a blocked field goal and a major defensive play by the league's best defense to finish us off, I'd say the game was a lot closer than the score suggests.

5. I never said I was confident we would win any of those games either. But does anyone here think we're less than a Peyton Manning short of being 5-1 or even 6-0 right now? I mean seriously?

P.S. People want to blame someone, so they point fingers at the top. Makes them feel better about themselves, or makes them feel as though they are observant or smart. But that's just not the case. Someone has to win, and we've been close. You expect Curtis to end games the way Peyton does? Seriously?

I wouldn't say that we expect Curtis to produce like Peyton. It's just the way Peyton played covered up for a lot of this team's weaknesses, one of them being the lack of adjustments made at halftime. We have performed well in the first half, then come out and blown it in the 2nd. It doesn't look like the coaches are making any adjustments out there. Before, Peyton took care of the offense so we would be fine because the defense is built to play with the lead. Now, Peyton is out and Curtis can't do what Peyton did. This exposes how little the coaches make adjustments. I remember seeing a stat 2 years ago that said our defense had given up the most points in the 3rd quarter. To me, that screams no adjustments on defense. Despite that stat, we still went to the Super Bowl that year because Peyton covered it up. Now, Peyton is gone and we see the flaws that he covered up

I think most of us want a coach/team that can pull their own weight and win games without the GOAT at the helm. It's not about Painter, it's about how terrible the team/coaching staff is. A great deal of our team consists of absolute garbage. Painter himself is mediocre at best...and unfortunately that translates to most of our players as well. Many are flat out terrible.

The goal for every team should be winning the Super Bowl. Not to hope and pray for 1-2 wins a season. If the Super Bowl is out of reach, when you're not improving every season to ultimately get there and win it you FAIL.We have flat out not improved since 2004/2005 in spite of our Super Bowl in 2006. We have gotten chronically WORSE.

The only reason we won a Super Bowl was the D decided to actually show up for a brief stretch which happened to be the playoffs. 2/3 of a complete team (special teams still stunk) and an OK coach was enough to get the job done. Overall, 2004 was the best team we've had during Manning's time here. The O-line was great and we had more weapons than ever. This was the peak of our offense. Unfortunately we ran in to the best TEAM of the decade in a raging blizzard on their home turf. Basically the 1/3 of a team we normally have was at its best. I

For myself and many others the current state of affairs is not all that shocking once news of Manning's health came about. The flaws of the team have been apparent enough for years. Manning could mask a black hole of ineptitude.

I disagree with only one point. I think our best team ever was the one in 2005 that was 14-0 and got beat by the Drew Brees led Chargers in Indy and then lost to the Steelers at home. That team was stacked and was probably our best defensive unit ever in the Indy era.

I disagree with only one point. I think our best team ever was the one in 2005 that was 14-0 and got beat by the Drew Brees led Chargers in Indy and then lost to the Steelers at home. That team was stacked and was probably our best defensive unit ever in the Indy era.

They were 13-0 when they lost to the Chargers. I was there. It was my 1st time in Indy.

Bro you hit it on the head. I have been saying this the whole time. It isn't time to jump ship, all of the games have been very close just mental breakdowns that caan be fixed. The Colts will win some games. Go Colts.

Congrats. I think that was the first post I have ever seen from you that was neither a grammatical abomination nor a mindless, factually inaccurate based rant based entirely on emotional nonsense.

Well thanks,I guess. Coming from a guy who mostly just offers sarcastic retourts to every post. Like they say when

you have nothing intelligent to say be sarcastic. Cheer up guy i am sure there will soon be a place

for a out of work frustrated comic soon.

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

If the Colts want the best chance to win at the end, then they need to keep their best unit on the field, which is still the offense. Maybe this is crazy, but I think anything inside of 4:00 min left to play should be considered 4-down territory from here on out.

Yes,you're right on track with your observations.I see the same thing too.We just need to vastly improve of secondary and we'll be fine.This team can still make the playoffs(no,i'm not kidding).Our entire division is weak this year and no one has stepped-up to replace us...yet.Yes,we're 0-6,but only three games back within OUR DIVISION and its a very real possibility that a 7-9 mark can win our division this year(the hawks did it,so it can be done).Plus we have A LOT of division games coming-up,so we can still make ground!ITS NOT OVER!!!

Yes,you're right on track with your observations.I see the same thing too.We just need to vastly improve of secondary and we'll be fine.This team can still make the playoffs(no,i'm not kidding).Our entire division is weak this year and no one has stepped-up to replace us...yet.Yes,we're 0-6,but only three games back within OUR DIVISION and its a very real possibility that a 7-9 mark can win our division this year(the hawks did it,so it can be done).Plus we have A LOT of division games coming-up,so we can still make ground!ITS NOT OVER!!!

I don't know if I should envy you or pitty you? Several years ago we were winning very close games and our record was something like 7-1 and people were saying we aren't as good as our record. We were as good as our record then and we are as bad as our record now. As Parcells stated: "you are who your record says you are"! The Colts are 0-6! How many 0-6 teams made the playoffs? The record shows who we are.....a very bad team!

You may want to check this site out.

http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/delusional-disorder