Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Losing Reggie Wayne Could Be A Good Thing.

Dark Superman

Now, now hear me out.

I am in no way shape or form bashing Reggie Wayne here.

The guy is our best receiver and our offensive leader and he's just not replaceable right now.

Filling his shoes may not happen for another twenty years.

But we all know Reggie is getting older and his years are numbered.

And we all know that our clock to find his replacement has been tickling.. Right?

This injury might just give us the kick in the butt we need to pull off an aggressive move to get somebody who can come in here and deliver for many years.

I sure hope his successor is on our roster this year or even next year so that Reggie can mentor him.

I hope he can come back next year and finish out his career here in Indy..

Get well #87

And I don't think his ceiling is that high to come close to being as good as Reggie is.

He doesn't have the hands, the route running, or the size.

I can't really make an accurate assessment of his ceiling at this point, but he's not Reggie right now,

Well the thought of young receivers coming in & getting mentored by Wayne seemed to be a popular belief, so hopefully if Wayne truly is the inspiration, leader, & teacher to this young group of receivers, they will pick up in his absence & come through & perform for Reggiestrong!!! So if that happens, and the receivers can bring their game to the next level, that would at least be a positive, in this negative situation...

Keep in mind folks that even Reggie took a while to come into his own. Reggie made only 27 catches his rookie year and 49 the next. He didn't even make full time starter until 2003. So to say TY will never be as good as Reggie is too premature. People I'm sure said the same thing about Reggie when comparing him to Jerry Rice. Now do I think TY will be the hall of famer replacement we need at this moment, no. Do I think there is anyone in this league at wide receiver that can come in and fill in for Reggie with all the intangibles he brought to the field, absolutely not. Howevee , I do not think for a second we have seen TYs ceiling nor do we know how close he is to hitting it. I do think we will be okay as I can guarantee you this, Reggie will still be the leader behind the scenes. He's still alive, he can still teach these young pups without being on the field and I think he'll do just that. I'd rather us give our own WRs a chance to step up a few weeks before we panic.

Losing Wayne is a tremendous loss.  We need an additional receiver even if TY could hold Reggie's jock strap.  Our depth just got much thinner.  I was thinking yesterday, damn:  I wish Austin Collie was available!

We are one more WR injury away from being a college team in the passing game.

There is no replacement but.... I think you have to use multiple "replacement" receivers to try to cover for Reggie's many functions. Reggie runs many short routes  (pick routes) where the route is designed for a short gain....that's Griff (precise route reliable hands). Reggie is a great blocker that's not Griff or Lavon.....maybe Rogers? Longer routes on the passing tree maybe Lavon gets a try. Crucial 3rd downs and 2 min. drives those targets have to be DHD and TY and unfortunately Fleener. Most of all, Reggie never needed to come off the field and now Reggies replacement will need to constantly rotate and that dictates more deliberate offensive play by the Colts. Although I don't have a lot of confidence in the individuals we have in the system.......I do have confidence the Colts will find a way to make it work....the coaches and front office have inspired confidence in me that they will solve problems and find solutions. Gone are the days of going into a game with 4 active receivers.

Now, now hear me out.

The guy is our best receiver and our offensive leader and he's just not replaceable right now.

And we all know that our clock to find his replacement has been tickling.. Right?

This injury might just give us the kick in the butt we need to pull off an aggressive move to get somebody who can come in here and deliver for many years.

I sure hope his successor is on our roster this year or even next year so that Reggie can mentor him.

Get well #87

Unless we end up getting someone on their rookie deal to keep this nice and simple the answer is

FOT_EM_NOPE_05_LRG-1250x1250.jpg

Now, now hear me out.

Get well #87

You don't think the Colts were aware of Wayne's advancing years? You don't think they know getting his replacement is coming sooner than later?

The only ounce of positive that I can see is that maybe the guys on our roster now step up since they will be in situations they never expected. Brazill will obviously get more work and can show what he could maybe do for the future.. Maybe DHB gets enough stick em to make it through the year and prove some worth...

Hard to see any good whatsoever in 87 going down

Well lets see who we have here...
T.Y. Hilton - Crazy speed, good route runner, typically holds onto the ball and has WR1 Possibilities.
DHB - Great Speed, Great Size, Good hands, not a possession receiver though. He's a lock at WR2
LaVon Brazil - Good speed, good route runner, has hands, possession receiver, he's an almost lock on WR3 if he produces.

Reed - Other than his hands, and speed I don't really know a whole lot about him..  Other than they say he just hasn't stepped up yet this season. 

We are a little thin at receiver, but I think this is the worst case scenario and a star will emerge from that group of guys right there.. 

Though no one will consider losing Wayne to be a good thing, I can almost see this as a blessing in disguise. 

There's no question that Luck will sometimes stare Reggie down for too long. With him not on the field, I can see this forcing Luck to develop stronger relationships with some of the younger players that will be around for much longer. It'll help Luck's development and those he's throwing to. It obviously means that others will have to step up big time, but I can now see players like Fleener and Hilton becoming the players we really want them to become.

Losing Wayne at this point in the season is just terrible. Not that we can't work past it, but T.Y. Hilton is not the answer. He's a rookie receiver who has not yet proven himself. Having Reggie Wayne on the field whether he is catching passes or not is drawing double coverage in most cases which opens up other receivers. Without the threat of Wayne on the field it completely changes our passing game. Heyward-Bey can't hold onto the ball and as I said before T.Y. is on his way up but still hasn't proven himself. We need another receiver signed to our roster. 

As much as I like Hilton he is at best a number 2 receiver. DHB should have been the number 3 receiver until he proved he was a number 2 (which has not happened). We will need a number 1 receiver to compete in the playoffs. Think about it...Denver is loaded, Seahawks just got number 1 back in Harvin, San Francisco get there number 1 before the playoffs (Crabtree), New England just got there number 1 back (Gronk) and the Saints are loaded.

The Colts and Chiefs are the odd man out with questionable #1 WR. Then you add the Colts questionable running game and that puts the Colts behind the Chiefs.

Trade for Fitzgerald.

If Wayne comes back next year this would give the Colts.

#1 - Wayne

#2 - Fitzgerald

#3 - Hilton

TE - Fleener

Plus they would get Allen back

Cut - DHB

Amazing core of receivers

Let them battle for position in the offseason.

If Wayne comes back next year this would give the Colts.

#1 - Wayne

#2 - Fitzgerald

#3 - Hilton

TE - Fleener

Plus they would get Allen back

Cut - DHB

Amazing core of receivers

Let them battle for position in the offseason.

We have nowhere near the trade ammo, nor the cap space for Fitzgerald. We would have to cut half of the team just to get him on the 53 man roster with that contract.