Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on DHB so far

sreylas937

So what does everyone think of the signing now? I still think it's a bad signing, He has proved no matter what QB is throwing him the ball, He'll still drop it... This pass week i was throwing stuff at the TV when he dropped the easy pass on second and 5 where he could've easily made the first down plus some... How many drops he have this year so far?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been a downgrade to Avery(who is leading the Chiefs with 60.8 yards a game receiving....although has a shoulder contusion) at this point, Targeted 25 times and has 13 catches , 7 first downs and 0 TD's...He is only averaging 27 yards a game when he actually catches the ball, some of that is scheme, most of that is no hands

He's been great. Tough getting yards after the catch, but it's not really a secret he isn't a big priority in the offensive scheme.

We also aren't passing like we were last year so his looks are at a premium.

People have been waiting all season for a game like Seattle so they could crush this guy. And people are vastly dramatizing how bad of a game it was.

Huge upgrade over Avery IMO.

He's been great. Tough getting yards after the catch, but it's not really a secret he isn't a big priority in the offensive scheme.

People have been waiting all season for a game like Seattle so they could crush this guy. And people are vastly dramatizing how bad of a game it was.

6 targets and at least 2 drops I remember ......0 catches....Thats not overdramatizing...he is averaging 27 yards a game

You can't tell tem anything. I see the same thing you see. But apparently he's supposed to call plays and throw the balls to himself also. I seriously can't stand the paper pushing stay crap. My eyeballs don't lie.

I have been pretty impressed up until the Seahawks game.  He was pretty well covered that game, other than the easy drop of the screen pass.

Overall I think its a good signing and hopefully he will progress as the season goes on.  Wouldnt mine re-signing him next year.

Yes - he'll be fine.  When the regular season is over, he'll have around 50+ catches for 700+ yards and 4 or 5 TDs.  More than enough for a #3 receiver in our type of offense.   

6 targets and at least 2 drops I remember ......0 catches....Thats not overdramatizing...he is averaging 27 yards a game

Sunday is absolutely being dramatized. It's not a surprise though. Some have been waiting all season to say "I told you so! Bad hands!"

He's not a priority. Why does 27 yards a game surprise you?

Reggie had his own issues early on this game, difference being he's the number 1 option on most plays.

He also had Richard Sherman draped all over him a number of times Luck looked his way last Sunday.

But every time he touches he fights hard I.E the reverse play run. And when he disappears from the stat sheet, he doesn't actually disappear like Avery did. He blocks hard, and contributes hard whenever he gets the chance.

DHB's overall contributions > Avery.

So what does everyone think of the signing now? I still think it's a bad signing, He has proved no matter what QB is throwing him the ball, He'll still drop it... This pass week i was throwing stuff at the TV when he dropped the easy pass on second and 5 where he could've easily made the first down plus some... How many drops he have this year so far?

So, one drop makes him a bad signing?  Brilliant.

Was Reggie a bad signing?  Spend a few seconds and check out how many drops he's had this year.

As far as DHB, he's not designing the formations.  Personally, I don't think they're taking full advantage of his skill set.  But it's hard to argue with a 4-1 record.

Must be a crappy TV you got.

I should also mention that one could argue that DHB is an unfair victim of expected receiving stats.  If Indy had employed their current offensive style when Manning was a rookie, and it became a mainstay ever since, then no one would be worried about DHB's stats.  As House mentioned, his looks are at a premium because we run a different offense now.

For him being a deep threat, why is he averaging 10 yards a catch?

I'd go ahead and give up now because either you're not reading the other posts or just being completely incompetent to the other posts. The answers you are looking for are in this thread and have been stated more than once.

He's being asked to do A LOT more than just run GO routes.

I've been kind of surprised by DHB, I figured he would be more of a send him on the 9 and stretch the field but he is a better route runner than I expected.  The drop doesn't worry me, all receivers drop the ball once in awhile but he has shown good hands so far and has converted some 1st downs.  I don't know how he can be considered a bad signing at all.

And comparing average per game to Avery is a bit ridiculous at this stage.  Avery got about half of his total yards in one game and when you are only 5 weeks into the season one monster game (or one goose egg game) really skews the numbers.

To me he is just a warm body holding the spot until we can find a young guy in the draft to bring in.

The guy was a flat out bust in Oakland.  His hands are horrible because he refuses to actually catch with his hands.  He just ends up trapping the ball with his body and not catching with his hands like Wayne or TY does.  He is not that great at route running and only really excells because he has some great speed. 

Some of his drops and consistency issues can be attributed to the erratic play of QBs in Oakland, but we are only going to see a marginal improvement when he is with Luck.  We just need him be ok out there for another year and then hopefully we can kick him to the curb when we find our young guy to step in with TY and Wayne.

To me he is just a warm body holding the spot until we can find a young guy in the draft to bring in.

The guy was a flat out bust in Oakland. His hands are horrible because he refuses to actually catch with his hands. He just ends up trapping the ball with his body and not catching with his hands like Wayne or TY does. He is not that great at route running and only really excells because he has some great speed.

Some of his drops and consistency issues can be attributed to the erratic play of QBs in Oakland, but we are only going to see a marginal improvement when he is with Luck. We just need him be ok out there for another year and then hopefully we can kick him to the curb when we find our young guy to step in with TY and Wayne.

Glad you're not the gm. You must want all flash in a pan. Well guess what, as of now that's not his roll.

i mean he's no reggie wayne in the hands department....but there aren't a lot of reggie wayne's out there people....DHB has made some solid catches....i think its quite obvious he's not a deep ball guy...he's a large strong possession guy and blocker...I personally love that...let TY streak up the sideline....

against the seahawks he "dropped" a pass on third down early in the game that was a tough catch for anyone, and then the quick out on 3rd down. Yes he should have had it, but Luck was under quick pressure and fired it as DHB was running towards the line while knowing he has to get up field right away, not exactly a routine play fellas.

I personally would love for DHB to be resigned, I don't think it will take a huge contract as he is not putting up crazy numbers

He's a good complement to TY in my opinion and has for the most part done exactly what the coaching staff has asked of him which is to be a good blocker at the second level and make some short yardage plays. I think some fans were expecting a new #1 receiver when we signed him, but I think he has shown in his career that he is not that type receiver. He is, however, a solid overall option and I would hope the Colts would resign him when his contract is up. I have liked what he has given us this season and would definitely consider him to be overall more valuable than Avery was-- the same Avery who had more issues with drops last year than DHB has had thus far this year.

I like DHB.  I also like Avery.  I've witnessed great plays by both guys.  I've also witnessed drops by both guys.  I agree that drops are frustrating, but I try not to focus on them.  I'm just glad that the Colts have a good receiving corp. 

I don't mind DHB so far. It's also early, so who knows how Colts O progresses and how DHB will fit in.  With Brazil back,  I'm very curious as to how this plays out.  I think some were hoping for an all-star with Irsay's hype, but he is solid.  I'm hoping he can become a defense coordinator nightmare and really open up our aerial attack., But as long as he contributes in all phases and doesn't complain about lack of targets, then I'm good.

Bey has 1 drop.  Cry me a river Justin Timberlake.

Wayne has a drop rate of 7.1%

Hilton has a drop rate of 5.7%

Bey has a drop rate of 3.9%

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Move along?  You must not understand how the forum works.  I'll explain:

Someone starts a thread with a statement that has no basis in reality, clearly doing no research, then they disappear while we all explain why they're wrong.

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  In my opinion, the capital of Virginia is Virginia City.

Move along?  You must not understand how the forum works.  I'll explain:

Someone starts a thread with a statement that has no basis in reality, clearly doing no research, then they disappear while we all explain why they're wrong.

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  In my opinion, the capital of Virginia is Virginia City.

And my statement is merely opinion, albeit one backed up by 30 seconds of research.  I gave a flippant response to a poorly researched OP.  Nothing more.

EDIT:  And if I'd paid more attention I'd have seen that jvan1973 already pointed it out.