Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on T-Rich...

Indeee

I've read a lot about how he's not as good, we wasted a pick, blah, blah, blah...

Yesterday at least 4-5 times when he got the handoff there was 2-3 hawks 2 yards deep waiting for him or 2-3 hawks bottling up the inside lanes. The Hawks blew our line up

We still have blocking issues for sure, but there were times when he got those yards we need. That 3rd and five was Bigtime!!

I love the guy. I am a little confused on why on each of the 2 point conversion attempts that he wasn't in or get the call there. We got this guy to get 3rd and one and 3rd and two..

Colts will figure it out and only get better. I'm loving us right now

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot about how he's not as good, we wasted a pick, blah, blah, blah...

Yesterday at least 4-5 times when he got the handoff there was 2-3 hawks 2 yards deep waiting for him or 2-3 hawks bottling up the inside lanes. The Hawks blew our line up

We still have blocking issues for sure, but there were times when he got those yards we need. That 3rd and five was Bigtime!!

I love the guy. I am a little confused on why on each of the 2 point conversion attempts that he wasn't in or get the call there. We got this guy to get 3rd and one and 3rd and two..

Colts will figure it out and only get better. I'm loving us right now

As soon as pep finally started changing up his running at she started getting big chunks also. I understand what they are doing. They are saying 'we are running it down your throat try to stop us' guess what sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Out line is not there yet. But he still manages to grind it out for positive yards. Guessing they want to wear them down then hit them with Brown.

But yet DB behind the same offensive line is averaging over 4 yds a carry. I think once T-Rich improves his vision he will be fine. He has all the physical tools already.

12 carries compared to 41 carries over the last 3 games. No one can convince me Brown is averaging 4 yrds a carry if you flip those numbers.

But yet DB behind the same offensive line is averaging over 4 yds a carry.  I think once T-Rich improves his vision he will be fine.  He has all the physical tools already. 

Maybe that same Defense that's seeing DB in the backfield is thinking it's a pass vs seeing T-Rich in the backfield thinking it's a run.   

12 carries compared to 41 carries over the last 3 games. No one can convince me Brown is averaging 4 yrds a carry if you flip those numbers.

I was referring to season averages http://www.nfl.com/teams/Indianapolis%20Colts/statistics?team=IND db 19 carries 157 yds 8.3 ypc.  Will that go down yes, also Bradshaw is averaging 4.5 ypc.  Im not bashing T-Rich in any way.  I actually think he's a great asset. He's a great blocker, hes's fast and has good hands.  Numbers dont lie, hes had this same low ypc with the Browns.  Will he get better yes, but he needs to improve his vision, then he will be special. 

This has to stop. Many of Browns carries have been draws. The defense plays the pass, and our line takes advantage.

Most of Richardson's carries are coming from an I formation. When defenses see a big back like TRich in the I formation they're going to key on the run. The few times he ran when it wasn't telegraphed, he produced very well.

Maybe that same Defense that's seeing DB in the backfield is thinking it's a pass vs seeing T-Rich in the backfield thinking it's a run.   

I would say it's likely this.  

If you made Brown our primary back, there is no way he'd be averaging that many yards.  

I was referring to season averages http://www.nfl.com/teams/Indianapolis%20Colts/statistics?team=IND db 19 carries 157 yds 8.3 ypc.  Will that go down yes, also Bradshaw is averaging 4.5 ypc.  Im not bashing T-Rich in any way.  I actually think he's a great asset. He's a great blocker, hes's fast and has good hands.  Numbers dont lie, hes had this same low ypc with the Browns.  Will he get better yes, but he needs to improve his vision, then he will be special. 

Can't use the Browns because its the browns and every team focused on him the whole time. Just like they focused on him when he's in the game with the Colts. It's just going to get better when our Oline play gets better and he learns the Oline. Remember DB and Bradshaw has been with the team this whole year and they both know the Oline vs TRich.

This has to stop. Many of Browns carries have been draws. The defense plays the pass, and our line takes advantage.

Most of Richardson's carries are coming from an I formation. When defenses see a big back like TRich in the I formation they're going to key on the run. The few times he ran when it wasn't telegraphed, he produced very well.

So whats the excuse for seeing Jamaal Charles in i formation or any other great Rb, They are keyed on telegraphed or not.  Im not bashing T-Rich just an observation.  

Can't use the Browns because its the browns and every team focused on him the whole time. Just like they focused on him when he's in the game with the Colts. It's just going to get better when our Oline play gets better and he learns the Oline. Remember DB and Bradshaw has been with the team this whole year and they both know the Oline vs TRich.

So your saying just because a team focuses on you the whole time you cant be successful? Look at Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles,  Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster the list goes on.  Defenses know they are getting the ball and there YPC are still high.  I agree things will get better.  

I was referring to season averages http://www.nfl.com/teams/Indianapolis%20Colts/statistics?team=IND db 19 carries 157 yds 8.3 ypc. Will that go down yes, also Bradshaw is averaging 4.5 ypc. Im not bashing T-Rich in any way. I actually think he's a great asset. He's a great blocker, hes's fast and has good hands. Numbers dont lie, hes had this same low ypc with the Browns. Will he get better yes, but he needs to improve his vision, then he will be special.

I'm not saying you were bashing him lol.

Just saying that since Trent has been on the team(last three games) he's taking a significant amount of snaps compared to Brown. I just couldn't see Brown maintaining his average if those roles were reversed.

I really like T-Rich as a player and was/am a big fan of the trade to get him. However, I do think he would benefit from just picking a place to run and going instead of holding back and waiting for the hole to open up. Once he gets in space he is very difficult to bring down, but it sometimes seems like he waits for a hole to open up and gets tackled before he can get moving, resulting in no gain or a 1-yard gain. I think Brown has actually done a better job at just picking a spot and running from the get-go lately.

If nothing else, I think the T-Rich signing has rejuvenated Brown.

He's being productive with the opportunities he has. Why nitpick? I'm glad he's been able to provide a spark. We all know Richardson hasn't yet.

I will give T-Rich props on the 3rd and 5 draw run (which was a horrible call) where he basically willed his way to the 1st down marker. Heck of a run 

So your saying just because a team focuses on you the whole time you cant be successful? Look at Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster the list goes on. Defenses know they are getting the ball and there YPC are still high. I agree things will get better.

TRich struggled on the Browns because he was the ONLY real threat. All the guys you mention are far from the only threats on their respective teams.

So now you want to say that the Colts definitely have more threats, so what gives?...

I'd suggest 2 things: first, the Colts use some complex blocking schemes, and TRich has a learning curve to adjust to them. second, as improved as the Colts OLine might be at times over last year, it still has a ways to go before it can be considered "good".

I've said the same about Brown in years past... it is difficult to prove your worth as a RB when you are getting hit 2+ yards behind the line of scrimmage.

He's being productive with the opportunities he has. Why nitpick? I'm glad he's been able to provide a spark. We all know Richardson hasn't yet.

I will give T-Rich props on the 3rd and 5 draw run (which was a horrible call) where he basically willed his way to the 1st down marker. Heck of a run

Stating facts is nitpicking? Really???

The reason Brown has looked so good is in relation to working alongside Trent. If it's just Brown, he gets to be the guy with two defenders on him in the backfield, and we all know how that ends for Donald. Instead he gets to be the change of pace back for Trent, and he's doing quite well.

But his stats certainly shouldn't be used to disparage Trent's because they're not being asked to do the same things, and Brown is benefiting from the style of running Richardson does. Facts. Not nitpicks.

Stating facts in nitpicking? Really???

The reason Brown has looked so good is in relation to working alongside Trent. If it's just Brown, he gets to be the guy with two defenders on him in the backfield, and we all know how that ends for Donald. Instead he gets to be the change of pace back for Trent, and he's doing quite well.

But his stats certainly shouldn't be used to disparage Trent's because they're not being asked to do the same things, and Brown is benefiting from the style of running Richardson does. Facts. Not nitpicks.

Fact!!

Also, if the rolls were reversed Brown wouldn't be getting yards as we have see for years. Pep needs to change up the run plays for Trent. But I don't think that's the plan. I think they are pounding it with intention for when Brown does come in.

Fact!!

Also, if the rolls were reversed Brown wouldn't be getting yards as we have see for years. Pep needs to change up the run plays for Trent. But I don't think that's the plan. I think they are pounding it with intention for when Brown does come in.

Could you not quote me when I've made glaring spelling mistakes. It just makes it look so much worse haha.

Eh it was an unexpected play, something that was to T Rich's advantage. I wouldn't say horrible, but definitely a ballsy call.

DB isnt getting a stack box

It seemed like every time T-Rich got the ball the Seahawks (and everybody else) were waiting for it. T-Rich's game is straight-ahead, between-the-tackles, power running, with plays designed to hit a certain predetermined gap.The problem was the here just wasn't anything resembling a gap to hit. Defenses know he's not the kind of runner to bounce it to the outside if he doesn't see an opening, so they just stack the middle. Is it bad blocking?...bad play calling?...bad T-Rich?  Maybe, but Pep's play calling is going to have to adapt to the personnel he has on the field and be a bit less predictable, especially on 1st and 10.

Stating facts is nitpicking? Really???

So the way to get Trent going is to give him less carries, is what you're saying? I don't agree. I do think Pep telegraphs runs more with Trent in the game but there's also been some plays where he just hasn't hit the hole decisively. He has to take some of the onus, and Brown deserves some credit for the plays he's made. Trent is not the only reason he was able to break long gains    

So the way to get Trent going is to give him less carries, is what you're saying? I don't agree. I do think Pep telegraphs runs more with Trent in the game but there's also been some plays where he just hasn't hit the hole decisively. He has to take some of the onus, and Brown deserves some credit for the plays he's made. Trent is not the only reason he was able to break long gains

Um no? Where did I say anything remotely like giving Trent less carries would make him better?

Trent isn't the only reason Brown is making long runs, though his longest yesterday was the same as Trent's, but if Trent isn't there Brown isn't as productive per carry as he is with Richardson as the lead back.

Fact!!

Brown has been injured way too often for my liking, but I'm confused by the constant reference to the lack of yards gained. His career AVERAGE prior to this year is more than TRich's.

Ask the question does Trent have the physical skills to be a top flight  back....... if the answer is yes just take a breath and relax it will come it's not  sprint, and the Colts staff realizes that we need better talent on the o line and in the meantime Trent is the best option and will gradually improve. The Colts staff has been right about a lot of decisions so I have trust in their confidence  in Trent.

So your saying just because a team focuses on you the whole time you cant be successful? Look at Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles,  Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster the list goes on.  Defenses know they are getting the ball and there YPC are still high.  I agree things will get better.  

Adrian Peterson isnt' a fair comparison.  Quite possibly a top 3 RB all time.  All those other guys had a competent QB and at least one WR that caught at least 50% of the balls thrown their way last year. 

So whats the excuse for seeing Jamaal Charles in i formation or any other great Rb, They are keyed on telegraphed or not. Im not bashing T-Rich just an observation.

The Chiefs have a much MUCH better Oline than the Colts do. Also, Charles is one of the best in the league. Richardson is in year 2 I. His 3rd offense

This.  It's going to be hard for T-Rich because when he's in it's mostly likely a run.  They need to use him out of the backfield more so defenses can start respecting him.

There were a couple of times where I thought he made a bad read.  Can't remmeber when it was in the game, but it was an off tackle to the left in 22 personnel.  And instead of bouncing outside like I thought should, he decided to tryto squeeze through a hole between the OT and FB.  Even if he had bounced it out, he wouldn't have gotten much, maybe back to the LOS.  But as it was, he lost 2 yards, give or take.

I really think the issue is the 22 personnel.  And as I said in another forum, this is the second game in a row, and really, the 3rd game, where it has started out slow.  Little bits here and there, but nothing to wow me.  As the game goes along, I really think it does gas the defense.  Because in the second half of SEA, that same running formation was getting larger chunks out of the run game.  I can't explain it, but it sets us up for later.  So while we criticize his YPC, I really think his YPC in the 1st and 2nd halves yesterday are like night and day.

TRich struggled on the Browns because he was the ONLY real threat. All the guys you mention are far from the only threats on their respective teams.

So now you want to say that the Colts definitely have more threats, so what gives?...

I'd suggest 2 things: first, the Colts use some complex blocking schemes, and TRich has a learning curve to adjust to them. second, as improved as the Colts OLine might be at times over last year, it still has a ways to go before it can be considered "good".

I've said the same about Brown in years past... it is difficult to prove your worth as a RB when you are getting hit 2+ yards behind the line of scrimmage.

thats not true.

AP had tavaris jackson at QB and absolutely nothing at WR and he still got ridiculous numbres...

Jamaal charles had thigpen and Cassel at QB and still got ridiculous numbers.

The great backs can create small holes out of almost nothing and exploit good holes into huge gains. This guy looks strong and fast but I don't see any ability to create something out of nothing nor to turn a good hole into a long run. I see a flop in the making, but it is also unfair to judge him a flop after so few games.

thats not true.

AP had tavaris jackson at QB and absolutely nothing at WR and he still got ridiculous numbres...

Both of those teams were better overall than the Browns. And certainly had better lines than the Colts.

Not trying to absolve Richardson, but it's not really apples to apples.

This is his perfect situation. If he can't thrive here. Then he's a bust.

thats not true.

And yet Harvin was christened as the next coming of God himself this past offseason when traded to Seattle, and people all over this board were clamoring for Bowe like he should change his name to "the Answer".

Guys relax! We've won 3 consecutive games now since acquiring TR. This is not the time to nitpick. Let's just be happy that we're on a winning streak.  I still don't understand why some people on here still bashing on some Colts players when as a team in whole we're doing a great job and playing well.

Adrian Peterson isnt' a fair comparison.  Quite possibly a top 3 RB all time.  All those other guys had a competent QB and at least one WR that caught at least 50% of the balls thrown their way last year. 

Ok now T-Rich has Luck, so whats the excuse? T-Rich needs to work on his vision once he does that skys the limit