Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My take on T-Rich...

Indeee

So your saying just because a team focuses on you the whole time you cant be successful? Look at Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles,  Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster the list goes on.  Defenses know they are getting the ball and there YPC are still high.  I agree things will get better.  

There is one thing that Rice, Peterson, Charles, McCoy and Foster have that TRich don't have and that is very good blocking from the offensive lines. Colts have not had the luxury of having an offensive line that is not changed from week to week because of injuries. Good run blocking O-Lines do not grow on trees. It takes time for those type of players to develop and thats hard to do when it is a revolving door. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my limited watching of Richardson (I don't recall watching a Browns game last year), he has the same faults as Brown... he cannot anticipate where the hole is going to be an hit it.  if the hole is there he will run through it and he will not be arm tackled.  If the hole is not there he is not going to create anything.

The skill in which he differs from Brown is brown has much better acceleration than Richardson.  The holes are not open for long and TRich is still learning the O.  Brown now knows where that hole is going to be and runs at it full speed.

That being said, Richardson is producing about what I expected and I think he will continue to produce for the rest of the year.  We will see next year if it was a good trade or not.

Great post by BpG before, welcome to the board.

Two things are obvious right now. One, Brown is performing very well. The other is that Richardson is not producing at the level that lead the Colts to give up a first rounder for him. 

That being said, the two are playing very different roles, so to compare their YPC really isn't fair.

As someone who was lukewarm on the trade, I do have hopes for TR but his apparent lack of vision does concern me.

The jury is still very much out. We can only hope for the best.

Im not one of those that thinks Trent sucks and that It was such an awful trade. I have been honest that i love the player but had my reservations of trading a 1st for a RB.  But i want this kid to be a beast,  not to be right about having questions regarding 1st picks and RB.

I know that we all need to be patient and quite frankly, I am. i dont expect him to just abuse the top defenses. I was just stating that it isnt true that those rb had more help than Trent on Cleveland.

and yea, of coursse take away thsoe long runs and he looks average...but thats my point, big time players make big time plays, AP fits that bill. We are waiting on Trent, and I hope he becomes what Grigson envisions. It's been so long since last time we actually had a running game, I miss it.

I agree with most of what you say here.  I was just using the Adrian Peterson example to show how a stacked box can limit even a consensus great running back on most of his carries.  Peterson has been having a relatively tough year.

Too bad we don't play the Steelers this year, would be a great chance to get Trent on track.  Chargers will have to do.   :D

I agree with most of what you say here.  I was just using the Adrian Peterson example to show how a stacked box can limit even a consensus great running back on most of his carries.  Peterson has been having a relatively tough year.

Too bad we don't play the Steelers this year, would be a great chance to get Trent on track.  Chargers will have to do.   :D

yea, wahts up with the steelers?

Its not all on Richardson though, people want to pin it all on one person. in this case its both at different times, What I have noticed is on handoffs to Richardson that Luck takes 2-3-4 steps back in some cases prior to Richardson coming forward for the hand off so if the ball is handed off to Richardson there are times the Linebackers are already in position to stop him.

Wasn't trying to imply that it was

It is a combination of the way Richardson runs, and our inablilty to block Seattle's defensive lineman.

Richardson is a big, between the tackles back. I don't think he has the explosiveness yet because of his lack of confidence in the system right now.

Our offensive line is still learning on how to manhandle defenses to run the ball, and once we almost figure it out, a lineman has to go down with injury.

But yet DB behind the same offensive line is averaging over 4 yds a carry.  I think once T-Rich improves his vision he will be fine.  He has all the physical tools already. 

i encourage you to watch the formations we are in and the guys in the box when brown is running the ball.  i think you will find your answer

i would love for you to break down where his vision was the problem

i have no doubt you will not do this

just look at what holes he picks while running.  I would love for you to tell me why his ypc is terrible with 2 teams.  When behind our offensive line Bradwshaw averaged 4.5 ypc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, greetings from believeland.

I see a lot of posters making the point that Richardson needs to work on his vision. I would absolutely agree with that, but I'm just not of the belief that instincts and vision can be taught. Sure he can get more comfortable in the offense and hopefully that will help him, but I want to show you all something from last year. It absolutely tells the story of his lack of vision.

I heard constantly how Richardson didn't have anywhere to run while he was here and that simply was not true. He just doesn't hit holes when they are there, so it gives the appearance that he has no where to run. 

Here is a hole he needs to hit. It's a crease but any NFL running back needs to hit this hole.

Trent-Richardson-vs-NYG-1C-420x314.png

He tried to bounce it outside (which he does ALL the time) and gets tackled for no gain.

Trent-Richardson-vs-NYG-1E-420x318.png

Here is a play against you guys, in Indy where he has a very solid hole right in front of him.

Trent-Richardson-vs-IND-1C-420x312.png

He tried to bounce this run outside and loses yards.

Trent-Richardson-vs-IND-1G--420x308.png

More of the same, he has a huge hole and tries to jump over the top and we kick a field goal.

Trent-Richardson-vs-DAL-1E-420x305.png

More lack of vision.

Trent-Richardson-vs-PIT-1C-420x309.png

Trent-Richardson-vs-PIT-1E-420x312.png

Trent has all of the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. He's strong, he's tough, he's hardworking, impossible to tackle one on one, good hands and he is a good kid. I'm just not sure, at this point in his career that you can teach instincts and vision. I really hope he can be taught because he is a good kid. I'm just not sure it's possible. 

All of this is summed up in this very well written article. 

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/06/browns-film-room-trent-richardson/

Good Luck this season guys. Pun intended.  ;)

Given the opporunity to cherry pick his worst 4 runs this is your evidence.  Not impressed.  I almost stopped looking after the first play, it's pretty clear the left side of the line caved in.  

You might be right on the second play but the image quality is terrible, so it's hard to tell.  Looks like someone is coming unblocked out of the secondary to stop him and his lead blocker fails to clear a, what, cornerback?  

In the third picture clearly he was expected to reverse field in his own endzone.   :scratch:

Fourth one, maybe.  It'd be easier to tell in a video.

Again, I'm not convinced he has a "vision" problem even by these cherry picked examples.  If I find one his many 8 yard runs I could repeat your fallacy and say OMG, super high quality awesome vision, or some such.  But I need to get back to work.

Thank you for your perspective.  Good luck with Weeden the rest of the way. 

I have faith in Trent, especially when multiple websites tell just how many guys meet him in the backfield a game. I know Donald is hitting some holes pretty good as well this year but this is his 4th or 5th year isn't it? Up until this last game vs the no. 1 rush d in the league, Trent had steadily improved his YPC each game as he learns which pattern our line likes to block down in and where the holes will be. I'm not saying Trent will all the sudden become Barry Sanders but lets be honest, we've never been the best run blocking line. Bradshaw excelled behind this line because he has that quick burst where as Trent needs to get a head of steam going. It's a new system for him to learn so i'm reserving judgements until next year, just as I did with Vontae Davis last year.