Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think we may have found the blueprint to beating Peyton Manning!

bap1331

sounds dumb...but a loud stadium with momentum! It seems to make him nervous and its the reason Dallas is able to keep it up with them...

The last time he went to Seattle was in 2005 and lost 13-28...Needless to say, I don't remember when we went to Dallas Stadium and won there...

Hence the reason he told Broncos fans to lower their voice at the stadium

Every Colts fan needs to practice their loudness for the next 2 weeks! :)

PS I know its a little early to worry about but just something to think about...im more worried about this game then the Chargers next week!

sounds dumb...but a loud stadium with momentum! It seems to make him nervous and its the reason Dallas is able to keep it up with them...

The last time he went to Seattle was in 2005 and lost 13-28...Needless to say, I don't remember when we went to Dallas Stadium and won there...

Hence the reason he told Broncos fans to lower their voice at the stadium

Every Colts fan needs to practice their loudness for the next 2 weeks! :)

PS I know its a little early to worry about but just something to think about...im more worried about this game then the Chargers next week!

Peyton didn't really play in that Seattle game in 2005. He started, then Sorgi finished. We had already locked up seeding.

There is no formula to beating Manning. There's a formula to slowing down his offense: stop the run, pressure him up the middle without blitzing, and play tight coverage, and then you just hope that you can make a couple of plays defensively (like the Cowboys have with the interception and some good pressure). 

That will definitely help.  The problem is that we'll have some people who call themselves Colts fans that will show up in Peyton Manning Broncos jerseys.    We laughed at them at Colts camp.  Uh....wrong camp there, guy.

He struggles with the 3-4 and every team that's beaten him pressures him.  He's awesome, no doubt.  I think what we're seeing with Denver is what Indy would have been like if there'd been a defense and a better O-line (although that wasn't always bad).

In a few weeks, Indy needs to put pressure on Manning.  Hopefully, our DB's will have their best game ever but I think it's going to be a rough one. 

Peyton didn't really play in that Seattle game in 2005. He started, then Sorgi finished. We had already locked up seeding.

There is no formula to beating Manning. There's a formula to slowing down his offense: stop the run, pressure him up the middle without blitzing, and play tight coverage, and then you just hope that you can make a couple of plays defensively (like the Cowboys have with the interception and some good pressure). 

I think somebody has a hard time letting go of Peyton Manning! :)

He doesn't do well under pressure. Period. If we gain momentum it will force him to make mistakes and slow down the offense.

Its the reason why he threw that interception today and got stopped on 3rd downs a couple of plays today

He doesn't do well under pressure. Period. If we gain momentum it will force him to make mistakes and slow down the offense.

Its the reason why he threw that interception today and got stopped on 3rd downs a couple of plays today

The blueprint for beating Peyton is already out there.  Keep him off the field.  Period.

Nope the dolphins did that a couple of years back. They kept Peyton off for 55 minutes and Peyton still won with 5 minutes on the clock the whole game...

I am having trouble letting go of Peyton, but that has nothing to do with my post.

No quarterback does well under pressure, but how do you get pressure? The Cowboys did it by staying close to receivers and winning in the middle. And they've still given up 48 so far. It's silly to suggest that this is a blueprint to anything. The only reason this game is close is because Denver can't stop the Cowboys.

Nope the dolphins did that a couple of years back. They kept Peyton off for 55 minutes and Peyton still won with 5 minutes on the clock the whole game...

No, I mean - off the field - like for 60 minutes.  Like we did in 2011.

Anyone have Jeff Gillooley on speed dial?

he doesnt do much under pressure...he only has the most 4th quarter wins in nfl history

Keep the ball away from Peyton by converting a lot of 3rd downs (ala Drew Brees in Saints SB). Shrink the number of possessions and give him a long field to work with (ala onside kick in Saints SB, the same thing Giants did vs Pats in 2007 SB, going for 4th & 1 at the goal line, Scifres punt game vs Chargers etc). Change up your D from quarter to quarter (ala Rex Ryan and Gregg Williams in SB). Slowing him down to the 20s is the best way to beat him. Taking a lot of time to score your 20 plus points has to go along with it.

Saints played the perfect game, on O, D, and ST that day. That is indeed the blueprint. You are not going to outscore him, if that is how you want to approach it, never has worked, never will work.

If the Colts play a 27-24 game, we have a greater chance of beating him than a 37-34 game, just my two cents.

Yeah. That loud stadium really kept Peyton down with 51 points....which could have easily been 55 if they didn't decide to run out the clock for a FG. I bet every QB wishes they could be "rattled" like he was.

Denver's pass rush (or lack thereof) kept Dallas in the game all afternoon. When Denver FINALLY decided to rush more than 3-4 guys they rattled Romo, then he threw a pick on the next play. Romo looked like Tom Brady having all night to throw.

Dallas' line is NOT a fortress, but Denver's horrible D made them look like one. I was screaming at the TV for Del Rio to start blitzing more or at least TRYING  something other than rushing 3-4, because it obviously didn't work yet they kept doing it for 58 minutes.

Anywho, there are a select few QB's in the league capable of exploiting a lack of pass rush like Romo did tonight. Romo is one of those guys who will make all the throws if you give him all day.

Dallas tried to out score him, but that didn't work either. Denver's defense suddenly looks vulnerable , and that may be their Achilles heel. The key is to keep him off the field as much as possible, and control the football with your Offense. Romo played great today as did Manning.

His postseason record is currently 9-11 and the Broncos since last year look a lot like many of the past Colts teams to me; all offense and a hit or miss D that depends on the offense. He most certainly can be beaten and it usually is well balanced somewhat physical teams with a good enough QB to not mess it up later on....

Hmmmm........

Thing is as much as I would love to beat Denver in a few weeks and would be elated if we did. If we lose so be it, it's one loss. We beat the Seahawks/49ers which could prove to be huge wins later on his season when our final record starts to tally up. Above everything else we want the AFC South title and a home playoff game...we need to focus on the Texans/Titans too.

It's all about January to me and preparing for it. We are slowly becoming the team I was hoping we would become.....I don't feel we are amazing at any one thing but I feel we are good to good enough at just about everything which makes me feel more confident every week that this is becoming a real team.

JMO

Right now the only way to stop Manning is if Manning stops himself. 

His postseason record is currently 9-11 and the Broncos since last year look a lot like many of the past Colts teams to me; all offense and a hit or miss D that depends on the offense. He most certainly can be beaten and it usually is well balanced somewhat physical teams with a good enough QB to not mess it up later on....

Hmmmm........

Thing is as much as I would love to beat Denver in a few weeks and would be elated if we did. If we lose so be it, it's one loss. We beat the Seahawks/49ers which could prove to be huge wins later on his season when our final record starts to tally up. Above everything else we want the AFC South title and a home playoff game...we need to focus on the Texans/Titans too.

It's all about January to me and preparing for it. We are slowly becoming the team I was hoping we would become.....I don't feel we are amazing at any one thing but I feel we are good to good enough at just about everything which makes me feel more confident every week that this is becoming a real team.

JMO

Bringing Mannings postseason records up don't mean anything. All but one of those losses were Colt losses not Mannings losses.

Bringing Mannings postseason records up don't mean anything. All but one of those losses were Colt losses not Mannings losses.

The fact is Peyton led teams lose more in the playoffs then they win. This is a fact. And until proven otherwise this Broncos team with him has yet to win in the playoffs either. They might this year and might not...we'll see later.

But, the fact remains people make too many excuses for Manning playoff mistakes. It's always the team around him but at the same time he can beat teams in the regular season with no major issues.

January is when it all has to happen. Time is running out and the pressure is ON. Now.