Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think we may have found the blueprint to beating Peyton Manning!

bap1331

Bringing Mannings postseason records up don't mean anything. All but one of those losses were Colt losses not Mannings losses.

Oh.....but the post season wins were mostly due to manning? If you are going to get most of the credit for playoff  wins as a face of the NFL QB then you need to take most of the credit for the losses. If today's game was a playoff game, Broncos lose.

The fact is Peyton led teams lose more in the playoffs then they win. This is a fact. And until proven otherwise this Broncos team with him has yet to win in the playoffs either. They might this year and might not...we'll see later.

But, the fact remains people make too many excuses for Manning playoff mistakes. It's always the team around him but at the same time he can beat teams in the regular season with no major issues.

January is when it all has to happen. Time is running out and the pressure is ON. Now.

Manning is one man in a team.

Teams adjust during the playoffs. Play differently in the playoffs. No one is making excuses for him, I certainly am not.  We ran into good teams during the playoffs during his tenure here.  I suppose the flaw is winning the division year after year and losing, maybe had we just backdoored in the playoffs all those years....the loss wouldn't be so bad....

I agree with you that a well balanced team is more important. 

The fact is Peyton led teams lose more in the playoffs then they win. This is a fact. And until proven otherwise this Broncos team with him has yet to win in the playoffs either. They might this year and might not...we'll see later.

But, the fact remains people make too many excuses for Manning playoff mistakes. It's always the team around him but at the same time he can beat teams in the regular season with no major issues.

January is when it all has to happen. Time is running out and the pressure is ON. Now.

The thing with Peyton is Jules, is a high floor and a ceiling you can plan for. He won't QB sneak like Brady, he won't improvize like Big Ben or even Eli or Flacco and wing it and get lucky, or throw darts on the run like an Aaron Rodgers. He will line up, dissect you and take what you give him. Most of the times, it works. But the guys who improvize in a close "high stakes one game elimination" game, they can tend to put their team over the top in a playoff game with evenly matched teams. Plus, a lot of his teammates, consciously or sub-consciously have a mental day off thinking Peyton has done this so many times during the regular season, so he probably will pull this one through for us too. To an extent, Peyton's hype and the media's hype might be responsible for that. Little do they realize that Peyton needs just as much help as a Big Ben or Eli in the playoffs. So, you do not see Peyton's Ds making that extra play on D when they need it, more content to have a one score game than doing their part to push it to a 2 score game etc., that is the only way I can explain the last 5 playoff losses all with a 4th qtr. lead. Belichick coached teams rarely have those mental days off, IMO.

I remember Andre Agassi talking about Pete Sampras and Roger Federer. He got to play them both when he was still playing at a high level. He said that with Pete, you could know what his high level is and once you get there, you could force a stalemate and with a few breaks here and there, you had a chance. But with Roger Federer, once you raised your level, he improvizes and takes it a tad notch above where you worked hard to raise your level to and that makes it even harder on you.

That is what Peyton is, high floor and a ceiling you can plan for. His improvization will have to come in the form of a ballsy coach telling him what to do in a crunch moment and not playing conservative like a lot of his past coaches have had him do in crunch situations. We will find out if Adam Gase, the new OC can do that. He does remind me of a Josh McDaniels, if you ask me.

Manning is one man in a team.

Teams adjust during the playoffs. Play differently in the playoffs. No one is making excuses for him, I certainly am not.  We ran into good teams during the playoffs during his tenure here.  I suppose the flaw is winning the division year after year and losing, maybe had we just backdoored in the playoffs all those years....the loss wouldn't be so bad....

I agree with you that a well balanced team is more important. 

Of course having a balanced team is important. What I don't understand is holding it against Manning that the teams haven't been as balanced as they should be. 

As bad as Romo's interception was, it's not his fault the Cowboys lost. He threw for over 500 yards, and staked his team to an early 14 point lead. The defense gave up 51 points, and crumbled at the end when they were given a touchdown lead, at home. The offense did their job. Romo shouldn't have had to do anything at the end of the game but run the clock out. 

Well if it's a loud stadium then we don't have. I did not see one fan cheering in the first row today. Some were so disinterested they were on their phone, DURING THE GAME WINNINGS DRIVE.

haha,  FX,  I was at the game,  Trust me  it was VERY LOUD today.

you are correct, however, about people playing with their phones....  it's Crazy how many can't put those things down.

I left mine in the Car ;)

Of course having a balanced team is important. What I don't understand is holding it against Manning that the teams haven't been as balanced as they should be. 

As bad as Romo's interception was, it's not his fault the Cowboys lost. He threw for over 500 yards, and staked his team to an early 14 point lead. The defense gave up 51 points, and crumbled at the end when they were given a touchdown lead, at home. The offense did their job. Romo shouldn't have had to do anything at the end of the game but run the clock out. 

Not sure, but there are some people who truly feel Manning held us back... LOL

I hate the Cowboys and not a huge fan of Romo..but whichever team lost today, Dallas or Broncos...it is their defense to be blamed. Romo and Peyton had a spectauclar game. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

No kidding.  Especially with 2 starters gone on the O-line and no world beaters in the backfield...Moreno was every bit a bust before Manning got there.

Not sure, but there are some people who truly feel Manning held us back... LOL

I hate the Cowboys and not a huge fan of Romo..but whichever team lost today, Dallas or Broncos...it is their defense to be blamed. Romo and Peyton had a spectauclar game. 

There are people who still claim the earth is flat...

I'm not a Romo fan either, but he's going to get raked over the coals for that interception, and it's just not fair.

:agree:

sounds dumb...but a loud stadium with momentum! It seems to make him nervous and its the reason Dallas is able to keep it up with them...

The last time he went to Seattle was in 2005 and lost 13-28...Needless to say, I don't remember when we went to Dallas Stadium and won there...

Hence the reason he told Broncos fans to lower their voice at the stadium

Every Colts fan needs to practice their loudness for the next 2 weeks! :)

PS I know its a little early to worry about but just something to think about...im more worried about this game then the Chargers next week!

...you got it..and we only have to score 52 POINTS

There are people who still claim the earth is flat...

I'm not a Romo fan either, but he's going to get raked over the coals for that interception, and it's just not fair.

Agreed. Romo is one of the better QB's in the league, and he had an outstanding game.

Both defenses flat out sucked, and should  be taken out to the woodshed and spanked. Pathetic displays by both teams on that side of the ball.

If you are truly interested in cold hard facts Maybe after reading them you would look at it a little different. If not then I will assume your not interested in the facts. Visit- www.milehighr...ysical-v-mental and www.coldhardf...forhelp/20868/   There are not excuses. these are the real facts. If your to lazy to take a look then you are quoting things that are not fact. 

Oh.....but the post season wins were mostly due to manning? If you are going to get most of the credit for playoff  wins as a face of the NFL QB then you need to take most of the credit for the losses. If today's game was a playoff game, Broncos lose.

Take the credit?? Manning has never took credit for a win on himself. If you want facts I have 2 web sites that break down the playoff losses and how they came to be. If you don't then go right ahead and be closed minded on the facts. If interested I will send those sites to you. It's hard to win a debate without all of the facts. 

I find myself saying this more and more

Indy Peyton and Denver Peyton are two different guys

The biggest one thing I see is the change in the way Manning is playing. He no longer makes long passes as in the past. Now he throws the shorter passes and then lets the receivers have huge YAC. Maybe not a different guy, just a smarter guy?  He has adjusted his play to his mental capabilities and his physical change. 

Crazy thought, would you guys rather play the Broncos in the playoffs at home in a dome or in Denver where it might be snowing with the temp around 10-20 degrees? Why would anybody not want the home game, right? But if the Colts are a more physical team now compared to the past when Peyton was around, wouldn't playing in those kind of conditions work to their advantage where Peyton may not be as effective. The lack of crowd support would be sorely missed though.

The Colts can beat Manning if they can keep the game close. That is the key. Denver's D is not good enough and Manning will make a mistake unlike Luck. I have to think of all the teams right now besides the Chiefs, the Colts have to be feeling it. Beating niners and hawks. They should be in top 5 of this week's power rankings.

Frankly, I don't want to make it sucha  big deal to beat the Broncos....like it would be our superbowl or something..then bust.

Kind of like how texans use to think that beating the Colts was the make it or break it of their season.

One game at a time.  This win or loss over the Broncos is just that..one win or loss. 

Frankly, I don't want to make it sucha  big deal to beat the Broncos....like it would be our superbowl or something..then bust.

Kind of like how texans use to think that beating the Colts was the make it or break it of their season.

One game at a time.  This win or loss over the Broncos is just that..one win or loss. 

It's not a huge deal to beat the Bronco's but at this point, unless something drastically changes, it seems clear to me that the road to the SB goes through Denver.  

Crazy thought, would you guys rather play the Broncos in the playoffs at home in a dome or in Denver where it might be snowing with the temp around 10-20 degrees? Why would anybody not want the home game, right? But if the Colts are a more physical team now compared to the past when Peyton was around, wouldn't playing in those kind of conditions work to their advantage where Peyton may not be as effective. The lack of crowd support would be sorely missed though.

i thought the crowd played a part in yesterday win. so i would always says i rather be home

but i see your point.

Peyton didn't really play in that Seattle game in 2005. He started, then Sorgi finished. We had already locked up seeding.

There is no formula to beating Manning. There's a formula to slowing down his offense: stop the run, pressure him up the middle without blitzing, and play tight coverage, and then you just hope that you can make a couple of plays defensively (like the Cowboys have with the interception and some good pressure). 

I think the formula to beat Peyton is to keep the ball out of his hands -- our offense, when it is clicking, might be our best defense versus Denver.  If we can sustain drives with 3-4 yards a play, and just slowly move the chains, we can put points on the board and keep Denver's O off the field.

I think Von Miller comes back for the game vs. Indy, so I am a little worried that their D won't look so porous when they are in our house.

I think the formula to beat Peyton is to keep the ball out of his hands -- our offense, when it is clicking, might be our best defense versus Denver.  If we can sustain drives with 3-4 yards a play, and just slowly move the chains, we can put points on the board and keep Denver's O off the field.

I think Von Miller comes back for the game vs. Indy, so I am a little worried that their D won't look so porous when they are in our house.

That helps, but you still have to get stops when he's on the field. In 2009, the Dolphins dominated the clock for 45 minutes, and still lost because they gave up big plays and couldn't get stops.

That's why I say there's no formula, there's no potion, there's no secret to beating this kind of offense. It takes a complete game, some big plays on either side of the ball, and a 60 minute effort. Like the Giants beating the Patriots in SB42. Pressure up the middle, good coverage, big plays on offense, and hang in until the end.

That helps, but you still have to get stops when he's on the field. In 2009, the Dolphins dominated the clock for 45 minutes, and still lost because they gave up big plays and couldn't get stops.

That's why I say there's no formula, there's no potion, there's no secret to beating this kind of offense. It takes a complete game, some big plays on either side of the ball, and a 60 minute effort. Like the Giants beating the Patriots in SB42. Pressure up the middle, good coverage, big plays on offense, and hang in until the end.

I disagree.  The Dolphins lost because they couldn't score points when they had the ball.  And they had it most of the game.  Their D held us to enough points to win the game.

Denver doesn't have a great defense, that's pretty obvious.  So the formula is to give Peyton less snaps and to make the most of our own.

I disagree.  The Dolphins lost because they couldn't score points when they had the ball.  And they had it most of the game.  Their D held us to enough points to win the game.

Denver doesn't have a great defense, that's pretty obvious.  So the formula is to give Peyton less snaps and to make the most of our own.

from what I remember from that mia-colt game, the fins had the ball for 2-3 really long scoring drives and conversely the colts scored on a few drives which were a broken play/mistackle that went for a quick TD . . . thereby skewing the time of possession . . . but the fins did score on some possession . . . I just remember more for them not being able to score that additional possession to give them the win . . .

They scored 23 points, and that includes missing a field goal and throwing an interception at the very end of the game. They only punted once. Yeah, they could have scored more efficiently, but the 2009 Colts weren't scoring like the Broncos are right now. 

But the Dolphins gave up an 80 yard touchdown to Dallas Clark on the first play of the game, then another 49 yarder to Clark later followed by a 15 yard run by Donald Brown for a touchdown, then finally a 48 yard touchdown to Garcon. We needed big plays to score 27 points in 15 minutes, and their defense allowed those big plays to happen. Take half of those away, and I think the score and the outcome are totally different.

from what I remember from that mia-colt game, the fins had the ball for 2-3 really long scoring drives and conversely the colts scored on a few drives which were a broken play/mistackle that went for a quick TD . . . thereby skewing the time of possession . . . but the fins did score on some possession . . . I just remember more for them not being able to score that additional possession to give them the win . . .

It was 27-23.  They had the ball for 45 minutes but only scored 2 TDs with that wildcat.  For some reason we never adjusted to it, which really upset me during the game.  We had an 80 yarder to Dallas and a near 50 yarder to Garcon.

IMHO, if we have the ball for three times as long as any team in the NFL, we win the game going away.

They scored 23 points, and that includes missing a field goal and throwing an interception at the very end of the game. They only punted once. Yeah, they could have scored more efficiently, but the 2009 Colts weren't scoring like the Broncos are right now. 

But the Dolphins gave up an 80 yard touchdown to Dallas Clark on the first play of the game, then another 49 yarder to Clark later followed by a 15 yard run by Donald Brown for a touchdown, then finally a 48 yard touchdown to Garcon. We needed big plays to score 27 points in 15 minutes, and their defense allowed those big plays to happen. Take half of those away, and I think the score and the outcome are totally different.

I think you're arguing my point.  See my previous post.  What I'm saying is that if we (2013 Colts) have anywhere near the same time of possession against Denver, we win the game.  We're a lot more efficient than they were, plus the Denver D isn't as good as the Colts was in 09.

I think you're arguing my point.  See my previous post.  What I'm saying is that if we (2013 Colts) have anywhere near the same time of possession against Denver, we win the game.  We're a lot more efficient than they were, plus the Denver D isn't as good as the Colts was in 09.

You said you disagree. I thought you were talking about the Colts/Dolphins game. I guess you're saying you disagree that there is no formula?

I agree that limiting possessions and scoring efficiently greatly increases your chances against a team like this. But the OP was claiming that you can reduce the effectiveness of the Broncos' offense with a loud stadium, and there are other similar ideas. So when I say there's no formula, I mean that it comes down to basic fundamentals of football -- cover well, get pressure up the middle without blitzing, score when you have the ball, and finish the game strong.

We're probably saying much of the same thing. I guess I was confused.

Take the credit?? Manning has never took credit for a win on himself. If you want facts I have 2 web sites that break down the playoff losses and how they came to be. If you don't then go right ahead and be closed minded on the facts. If interested I will send those sites to you. It's hard to win a debate without all of the facts. 

I've seen those pages dozens of times. Anybody can take stats and spin it the way the want to. I don't need stats to show me that Manning doesn't play his ABSOLUTE best in the post season. You can see it in his body language and facial expressions, and please don't give me that QB rating argument. The great post season QB's do it when it matters most. When the game and the season is on the line. You can play great for 3 quarters and have a high QB rating but your legacy is established in playoff crunch time and that's where Peyton has been less than stellar. Anything less than a SB title this year(which is not going to happen) will be devastating to Manning's legacy because it has happened so much in the past.(including last year)

It was 27-23.  They had the ball for 45 minutes but only scored 2 TDs with that wildcat.  For some reason we never adjusted to it, which really upset me during the game.  We had an 80 yarder to Dallas and a near 50 yarder to Garcon.

IMHO, if we have the ball for three times as long as any team in the NFL, we win the game going away.

okay . . . I for one am not a big fan of time of possession and I think that is it overrated and many look at it as a determining factor . . . for me it is always about possessions . . . just like baseball, each team gets an at bat, short of an onside kick or turnover on punt or kick off . . . if one team on baseball gets three outs on 8 pitches in a time period of 7 mins and then the other teams gets a hit or two and is patient in the counts but does not score and gets three outs in 27 pitches and 20 mins of game time, but neither scores, no one is going to be talking about 20 mins v. 7 mins, but just at two half innings with no scoring . . . that is time is not really relevant as both have an opportunity to score in its half inning, I look at football much the same way as this . . . surely there is something to be said about a longer inning that might tire out a pitcher, but the latter team did not have 20/7 the opportunity to score a run, but equal . . . . 3 outs each . . .  

if you score or have to punt, the other team get a possession and vice versa and the cycle continues throughout the game . . . each team getting a matching possession . . .again with the exception of a team gets an onside kick, turnover or punt or kick off in which case one team will get a double possession and thus an additional opportunity to score . . . and at times how the end of the first half ends, sometimes a team will get an extra possession as the time runs out . . .

but for me I do not see a difference if a team runs a 9 min drive and score, then the opponent throws one pass and the WR/TE breaks if for a TD and it is a 24 second scoring drive . . . I don't then make the connection that if second team had those 9 mins they would have scored 2-3 more times as each only had one possession and thus one opportunity to score . . .

the mia/colt game was unique in that the fins could move the ball with the wild cat and wanted to keep Manning off the field, and they were successful with this . . . on the other side the colts had a few drives that were a play or two . . . had those plays not happened surely the colts would have likely scored but it would have take more plays and more time, thereby increasing there time of possession and reducing mia's . . . but still would have been one drive . . . this is how I look at it, equal opportunity as opposed to one team having less or more opportunity . . .