Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard

tony1287

With the trade for rich and ahmad running with a purpose, what do you think will become of ballard next year?? Do we keep him and let ahmad and db walk? There are several options but I personally would keep vick to back up trent, that is if we don't give bradshaw a new contract. We all know trent will be the starter long term but all of a sudden we seem to have plenty of options at rb going into next season. Thoughts??

With the trade for rich and ahmad running with a purpose, what do you think will become of ballard next year?? Do we keep him and let ahmad and db walk? There are several options but I personally would keep vick to back up trent, that is if we don't give bradshaw a new contract. We all know trent will be the starter long term but all of a sudden we seem to have plenty of options at rb going into next season. Thoughts??

Donald Brown's contract is up this year and Bradshaw is on a one-year deal...

..and you can draft a running back in low rounds...they arent hard to find

Wouldn't surprise me if we take a Stanford RB in the draft this year.

I personally think we should re-sign Bradshaw & Brown. Those 4 RB's would be a beautiful rotation. Especially since we have no idea how Vick Ballard will be next season off his injury. Not everyone's body is built like Adrian Peterson's

I don't think we'll have Bradshaw for more than one more year -- if that.

Richardson will need a big contract...  Ballard is a similar runner and younger...   and Bradshaw will want starters money, or nearly that and he's already shown that staying healthy is next to impossible for him....

Too bad....   he's very, very good when healthy....  

I think we resign Bradshaw and make a committee approach with him and Richardson (with Richardson being the starter) and then I think we cut ties with Vick Ballard as bad as I hate that. I think with Bradshaw only being 27 and Richardson being 22, I just think we will have our top 2 guys right there and Ballard is too good to be a #3 and the coaches will cut him to help him. I would say trade, but no one will trade for a guy coming off an injury that everyone knows will be our #3 option. So, I think we will have a Stewart/Williams combination in Richardson/Bradshaw (hopefully, without the injuries) but we won't have to worry about getting our QB a ton of carries like Cam takes away from their duo. Then, I think we go with a late round guy like Carolina did with Kenjon Barner. Sorry to make comparisons to the Panthers, just think we will have a similar situation happen here in how our guys are set up with PT and targets in draft and such. Not saying we will ruin Richardson's and Bradshaw's careers like the Panthers did with Williams/Stewart haha.

That would happen only if Bradshaws injuries linger

Injuries have lingered around bradshaw his whole career. Maybe not any one specific injury but he consistently gets hurt which is why we might be tempted to let him walk... Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong he runs like a beast but injuries slow him a lot

No reason not to bring Ballard back next year unless he's just done playing football.  I don't think that is going to be the case he's hardly the first player to have this injury.  Guys tend to come back from this kind of injury all the time.  Now with that said he might not be the same again but since he is on his rookie contract there is no reason not to find out if he can play or not.  I think he'll be the main back up to Richardson going forward but he'll still have a role in our offense. 

I think we will let Bradshaw walk.  The Richardson trade all but told me this was one and done for Bradshaw.  Then it gets interesting.  If Brown keeps playing like he has been playing so far I could see them maybe bringing him back on a cheap probably one year contract.  If that doesn't work they could very well move Williams into that role or draft another young back in the draft. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we take a Stanford RB in the draft this year.

I personally think we should re-sign Bradshaw & Brown. Those 4 RB's would be a beautiful rotation. Especially since we have no idea how Vick Ballard will be next season off his injury. Not everyone's body is built like Adrian Peterson's

I hope we resign at least one of the two.  

I'd like to have Bradshaw back.

Personally, I'd prefer having Bradshaw and Ballard carry most of the load with Trent only being used on the goal line. Won't happen though. Gave up too much to use Trent that little

Trent is too good to be used just on the goal line.

I don't think we'll have Bradshaw for more than one more year -- if that.

Richardson will need a big contract...  Ballard is a similar runner and younger...   and Bradshaw will want starters money, or nearly that and he's already shown that staying healthy is next to impossible for him....

Too bad....   he's very, very good when healthy....  

TRich is under contract for 2 more years after this season. The Browns will have a 6.6 million dollar cap hit left over for the TRich trade so the Colts made out well on the money side of the trade. Ballard is under contract till the end of 2015 and his salary is under 700 thousand dollars in 2015 counting the signing bonus. Bradshaw has a 1.1 million 1 year contract so he has already gave the Colts a discount if you count the veteran aspect into it. So jumping the gun on contract talk is exactly that for Ballard and TRich. 

I think we resign Bradshaw and make a committee approach with him and Richardson (with Richardson being the starter) and then I think we cut ties with Vick Ballard as bad as I hate that. I think with Bradshaw only being 27 and Richardson being 22, I just think we will have our top 2 guys right there and Ballard is too good to be a #3 and the coaches will cut him to help him. I would say trade, but no one will trade for a guy coming off an injury that everyone knows will be our #3 option. So, I think we will have a Stewart/Williams combination in Richardson/Bradshaw (hopefully, without the injuries) but we won't have to worry about getting our QB a ton of carries like Cam takes away from their duo. Then, I think we go with a late round guy like Carolina did with Kenjon Barner. Sorry to make comparisons to the Panthers, just think we will have a similar situation happen here in how our guys are set up with PT and targets in draft and such. Not saying we will ruin Richardson's and Bradshaw's careers like the Panthers did with Williams/Stewart haha.

If Ballard comes back healthy he is not going anywhere as I see it. He is under contract till the end of 2015 for less than 700 thousand a year. 

Lol someone either hit theyre,head or been smoking the peacepipe to much.

I agree. His spot use has been very effective and he protects the ball. Some seem to forget that he catches the ball pretty well out of the backfield. 

Except for when he drops it or tries to make a cut after the catch.

If he was "pretty well", you would think they would be using that skill!

I`ve noticed his fans tout his blocking too.

He did hit very nicely, a couple of the few holes we made yesterday.

TRich is under contract for 2 more years after this season. The Browns will have a 6.6 million dollar cap hit left over for the TRich trade so the Colts made out well on the money side of the trade. Ballard is under contract till the end of 2015 and his salary is under 700 thousand dollars in 2015 counting the signing bonus. Bradshaw has a 1.1 million 1 year contract so he has already gave the Colts a discount if you count the veteran aspect into it. So jumping the gun on contract talk is exactly that for Ballard and TRich. 

You can start negotiating new deals for rookie players after the 3rd year of their contract.   So, that's when a premium player like Richardson will expect a new offer.   The Colts know this.

Between the injury and now being the back-up, Ballard has been dealt a tough luck hand.   So, we may be able to put off his 2nd deal until after his 4th season.... either way,  I suspect we'd like to keep him at the right price.

Bradshaw is the big question mark....   (A) will he be content to being 2nd string?   (B)  can he stay healthy enough and productive enough to warrant the Colts bringing him back?    The jury is out on both those questions...

In short....   the situation is fluid, but the Colts have to have financial room/flexibility to do what they want....

Remember, after next year,  the Colts will be dropping big money on new contracts for Luck, TRich, TH Hilton...  and maybe others.....

Interesting times ahead....

You can start negotiating new deals for rookie players after the 3rd year of their contract.   So, that's when a premium player like Richardson will expect a new offer.   The Colts know this.

Between the injury and now being the back-up, Ballard has been dealt a tough luck hand.   So, we may be able to put off his 2nd deal until after his 4th season.... either way,  I suspect we'd like to keep him at the right price.

Bradshaw is the big question mark....   (A) will he be content to being 2nd string?   (B)  can he stay healthy enough and productive enough to warrant the Colts bringing him back?    The jury is out on both those questions...

In short....   the situation is fluid, but the Colts have to have financial room/flexibility to do what they want....

Remember, after next year,  the Colts will be dropping big money on new contracts for Luck, TRich, TH Hilton...  and maybe others.....

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if the RBs are splitting carries and spelling each other, could Bradshaw really be considered 2nd string?

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if the RBs are splitting carries and spelling each other, could Bradshaw really be considered 2nd string?

Not a stupid question at all....

I'm just saying I wouldn't read too much into one game (49ers) where Bradshaw and Richardson mostly split the carries.

That won't always be the case,  even when Bradshaw is healthy.    TRich was brought in to the main guy...    The law firm of Bradshaw, Ballard and Brown are all the complimentary backs,  to one degree or another....

Hope that clarifies....

Both Luck and TRich do have 5th year options in their contracts for whatever that means. Seems like Hilton don't. You are right about the interesting time on the way. 

Both Luck and TRich do have 5th year options in their contracts for whatever that means. Seems like Hilton don't. You are right about the interesting time on the way. 

Yes....   5th year options are for first round players....   everyone else gets four-year deals....

The view is with talented players, you want to sign them up as soon as you can after their 3rd year because their price is only going to go up with each passing year.

The players whose teams let them play out the 4th and 5th years of their contract are trying to figure out just how good -- or not -- the player really is.      After 5-years a team should know what a player is, or isn't.   At that point,  the team either figures out how to re-sign them, or let them go to free agency....

Hope that clarifies....