Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

brown looked good.

Stephen

You can fool everyone here Brown, but you're not fooling me.

You're still mediocre.

Agreed! He has done well in his spurts and want to keep it that way. He never produced as the primary and don't see him doing it anytime soon. Has been a good change of pace back though

I think a moderator should remove this thread....

We absolutely can NOT have a thread that doesn't conclude with.....  "Brown sucks!   He should be cut yesterday!   He'll never be any good!     My mother is better and she's been dead for 10 years!"

Those are the only kind of threads involving Donald Brown that are allowed here....

Otherwise,  there could be a board meltdown......    can't have that happening,  can we?

Ah I'm out of Twizzlers..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

He isn't an every down back and he looked good today because he was working within the role he was built for.

Step 1) Have an actual power running threat that can get 3-3.5 ypc and run with them in power formations

Step 2) Bring in Donald Brown in pass formations as a pass blocking backfielder

Step 3) Wait until they adjust in to a pass defense to counter Step 2

Step 4) Run a Draw

Step 5) ???

Step 6) Profit.

He's a change of pace speed back doing exactly what they are designed to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

He only had one big run, so I wouldn't say he looked that good, but he's proving to be a pretty good change of pace back.

Nevertheless, he's still very mediocre.

He did average 7.5 ypc the other two times he carried. 

Ever since Richardson got here, he's been running with a lot more urgency. I don't think that's a coincidence lol. 

Andy, you must not have watched the game.  Nearly every one of Browns runs was for big yardage BESIDES his monster gain

This is the thing about Brown. 
If you get over the fact that he was not worth the first round pick, then you can judge him more effectively.
Brown is an explosive type of runner.  If he sees a hole, he hits it and runs straight down field.  He doesn't make many people miss and he doesn't run anyone over.  Guys like Bradshaw and Richardson are a bit more elusive and can punish a tackler. 
Brown requires that first hole to have any chance of picking up a few yards, and we have had one of the worst offensive lines in football for a LONG time now.  Richardson and Bradshaw would likely have been a bit more productive in our offense than Brown, but no running back can be truly productive when the majority of his runs begin with no push from the OL. 

Is Brown good?  No
Would Brown be a very useful and productive in his role as change of pace back in an offense that actually layed the hammer when it ran, ABSOLUTELY
I think we are seeing what happens when Brown gets a hole.  He can get upfield fast.  He will be a nice piece of the running back puzzle this season and hopefully will lead to a contract with a team in the offseason!

a bad line and getting hurt has been his biggest issues. he has a 4.2 ypc avg for his career compared to the great trent richardson's 3.5ypc who everyone loves. if the line keeps improving, i think he will be a good back for the colts. i'mnot saying he is a every down back, but there are very few of them in the nfl now. posters complain about him being a 1st round pick, but he was a low 1st round pick and top players are very rare at that part of the draft.

I think Brown is a great change of pace back, especially if they could use him a little more in the 4th quarter.  Let Bradshaw and Richardson beat down the defense early, and then sprinkle in some runs to Brown as the game progresses and the defense wears out.  All together between rushes and catches, I'd like to see Brown get around 8-10 touches per game because I think he has shown he can contribute.

Andy, you must not have watched the game.  Nearly every one of Browns runs was for big yardage BESIDES his monster gain

This is the thing about Brown. 

If you get over the fact that he was not worth the first round pick, then you can judge him more effectively.

Brown is an explosive type of runner.  If he sees a hole, he hits it and runs straight down field.  He doesn't make many people miss and he doesn't run anyone over.  Guys like Bradshaw and Richardson are a bit more elusive and can punish a tackler. 

Brown requires that first hole to have any chance of picking up a few yards, and we have had one of the worst offensive lines in football for a LONG time now.  Richardson and Bradshaw would likely have been a bit more productive in our offense than Brown, but no running back can be truly productive when the majority of his runs begin with no push from the OL. 

Is Brown good?  No

Would Brown be a very useful and productive in his role as change of pace back in an offense that actually layed the hammer when it ran, ABSOLUTELY

I think we are seeing what happens when Brown gets a hole.  He can get upfield fast.  He will be a nice piece of the running back puzzle this season and hopefully will lead to a contract with a team in the offseason!

You make it seem like he had a lot of runs, he had 3, and most of the yardage came on that huge 50 yarder.

I think he's a good change of pace running back and I made that clear before, but let's not start saying that he's a good explosive running back. He has his moments every now and then but he's a 3rd stringer.

So I'll stick with my point before, he had a big run that really tipped the scale for the Colts, but that was about it for the Colts. Besides that, he has 2 rushes for 14 yards. 

You make it seem like he had a lot of runs, he had 3, and most of the yardage came on that huge 50 yarder.

I think he's a good change of pace running back and I made that clear before, but let's not start saying that he's a good explosive running back. He has his moments every now and then but he's a 3rd stringer.

So I'll stick with my point before, he had a big run that really tipped the scale for the Colts, but that was about it for the Colts. Besides that, he has 2 rushes for 14 yards. 

So today the only negative you can say about his running was that he didn't do it enough. Every time he touched the ball good things happen. I would have liked to see him get more touches as Richardson was not exactly lighting it up.

I predict Brown will continue with this level of performance and will still not get any love from an entrenched group of naysayers. Because they are clueless parrots who repeat any nonsense they've heard.

I am a fan of Donald's.. more than most on the forum... I think he has looked great with limited carries and I'm not that surprised, but I will say that his ypc average is something ridiculous right now and there is no way he can continue the production he's given without more carries... I will also say that I think that he has earned a few more touches to say the least...

He only had one big run, so I wouldn't say he looked that good, but he's proving to be a pretty good change of pace back.

Nevertheless, he's still very mediocre.

Its funny..we traded for a guy who averages 3.9 a carry for life and bash a guy who's played 5 years for us..

With that said..I can see big games from TR coming once he stops tip-toeing and runs hard

Guys, I didn't read all the posts and I'm not saying that I'm sure of this.. but I just feel like with Trent in there, and the way our offense is set up, people sell out for the run with Richardson in there but when we bring a change of pace type guy like Brown in, they know the passing game far exceeds the run game with the given personnel of Luck compared to Brown so they then start keying on passing plays and such. I know, regardless, we have Luck in so people should respect the pass and I'm not saying they don't, I'm just saying they take Richardson as such a threat compared to Brown or maybe even Bradshaw and so they sell out. I also think that we can/do exploit that sometimes.

I think a moderator should remove this thread....

We absolutely can NOT have a thread that doesn't conclude with.....  "Brown sucks!   He should be cut yesterday!   He'll never be any good!     My mother is better and she's been dead for 10 years!"

Those are the only kind of threads involving Donald Brown that are allowed here....

Otherwise,  there could be a board meltdown......    can't have that happening,  can we?

Get over it. 

So today the only negative you can say about his running was that he didn't do it enough. Every time he touched the ball good things happen. I would have liked to see him get more touches as Richardson was not exactly lighting it up.

I'm not saying he didn't get it enough, I'm saying that because he didn't get it enough, we can't say he had a very good game. There's a difference.

Would I like to see more of him? If Bradshaw is hurt next week, yes I would. If he's healthy, we already have a good 2 back attack that dominated the 49ers last week.