Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't like what ifs-but if Freeney

chrisfarley

I don't think he said he would have taken ANY offer, but he sounded like he would have given us the home town discount.

I wanted us to keep him - but not as a starter, as a role player. People keep saying he can't play OLB. Well, he wouldn't be playing OLB, he'd be playing DE in our 4-3 when we go into pass defense. They want to run on him? Good, let them run on 3rd and long.

Like others have said, it's not how many sacks he has, it's how much pressure he puts on the QB. At a decent price, he would have been a benefit to the Colts if he would have accepted a role as a situational player.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with that.

I would have liked that also. But would freeney take a roll as a back up? Maybe that's why he left to continue to start. I'm not upset though. No hard feelings either way.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glaring differences though, Freeney is useless against the run with very few years left to play, Werner while not very consistent at all against the run has many years left to improve, Its not apparent that the "run it at Freeney he cant stop it" rule applies. With Werner its about technique and maybe strength and play recognition. Freeney has also played much more I think

Yep basically what I was driving at.

If those same stats are what we are getting from a more expensive vet, why would we want that back? Especially when Werner is being called a bust for his contributions, but Dwight is being praised because he's gotten a lot of pressures.

I would have liked that also. But would freeney take a roll as a back up? Maybe that's why he left to continue to start. I'm not upset though. No hard feelings either way.

I don't know if he would have gone for it.  I don't even know if it was floated by him, but it didn't sound like it.

I know he made a lot of money as a Colt, but it would have been nice to at least offer him a chance to go out as one.

I thought you didn't like "what if's"......and I feel we are really good on D. I am confused as to what the point of this is in reference to the thread title.

What if's conjure up hypotheticals (what would we be like with Freeney) -- >> I only wanted to whip that around a little bit due to the fact that in reading that article, they are really happy with him and he apparently is still a disruptive force as a starter. I don't have Sunday NFL Ticket and have not seen the Chargers play but for a bit of the Houston game.  Just wanted to see what you all have seen and what you all think.

Guest TeamLoloJones

But that is what is he is playing over there in San Diego in John Pagano's defense.

Yeah and like I said they have one of the worst defenses in the league. So obviously it's not working.

What's funny is Freeney signed a 2 year 8.25 million dollar contract and people talk about hsi stats (while ignoring the stats of QB pressure and hits) and talk about how he's not worth the money.  Yet the same people, I would guess, claim that Walden's (who after three games and 6 tackles 0 sacks) and signed a 4 year 16 million dollar contract) worth does not show up on the stat.

Just supports my observation that many fans on this forum blindly support a player when he wears the shoe and blindly hate on them when they no longer wear the shoe.

What's funny is Freeney signed a 2 year 8.25 million dollar contract and people talk about hsi stats (while ignoring the stats of QB pressure and hits) and talk about how he's not worth the money. Yet the same people, I would guess, claim that Walden's (who after three games and 6 tackles 0 sacks) and signed a 4 year 16 million dollar contract) worth does not show up on the stat.

Just supports my observation that many fans on this forum blindly support a player when he wears the shoe and blindly hate on them when they no longer wear the shoe.

Wait wait wait. Your telling me Colts fans like Colts players?!?

Besides people knock Werner, but fantasize about Freeney, and their stats thus far have been comparable. People rationalize arguments however they seen fit for past, and present, players.

Besides people knock Werner, but fantasize about Freeney, and their stats thus far have been comparable. People rationalize arguments however they seen fit for past, and present, players.

Werner only has 6 pressures.

Freeney had more than in the first game of the season  against one of the best LTs in the league.

Werner only has 6 pressures.

Freeney had more than in the first game of the season against one of the best LTs in the league.

I said comparable not identical lol. Not to mention one is a seasoned vet and one is a rookie. So you would expect Freeney to outclass him in almost all the statistical categories.

There is a difference between liking a Colts player and using a justification to show a player is bad and ignore that same justification to show a player is good.

I am not one of the people who knock Werner and fantasize about Freeney, but I see you point.

There is a difference between liking a Colts player and using a justification to show a player is bad and ignore that same justification to show a player is good.

I am not want of the people who knock Werner and fantasize about Freeney, but I see you point.

I was just bustin chops about the first part lol.

But from my experience people hate feeling like they turned right, when the smart choice was to turn left. So people don't want to hear that Freeney is doing well because it implies we may have made a mistake.

In the same way people don't want to hear that he's doing only alright, and not the same player who blew doors down when he was with us. He's having a nice season, but it's not like he's miles ahead of everyone playing the same position either. But there's a sense that some are waiting in the wings, to rub the nose of those who said it was time to let him walk. So anything and everything he's doing on the field becomes ammunition all of a sudden.

Seperation is messy messy ordeal.

Freeney no longer plays for the Colts. Why is this thread even brought up? The Colts moved in a different direction not only with Freeney but with most of the team that was here. End of story. All this fairy tale debate is really useless. What if????   The old saying is what if my aunt had a set??  Then she would be my uncle. 

I think the beauty of Ryan Grigson is his ability to save our team money to find the hidden gems and Pagano's defensive genius to make it all work. I'll take a cheaper yet effective player in Freeman, Werner, etc. any day over a top-dollar DE, like Freeney.

There's a good and a bad with that. For every gem there's always a Eric Walden on the team. Could sadly at this point make the argument both aren't living up to their contracts so far so would it really have been a bad thing to resign a "top-dollar" (6.5 million isn't top dollar at all...)? It's early in the season and I hope both end up performing better, but they honestly are going to have a hard time playing up to the level of their pay. 

was still here and we could afford him, might we be REALLY good on "D"?  He is playing linebacker for the Chargers as you know.  He's really playing terrific according to the Chargers.  Here is a good read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/19/dwight-freeney-chargers-linebacker-corey-liuget/

I realize many threads to this same effect have been put out here but I think this accompanying article (above link) is worth a look. And it's worth to talk about a future hall of famer and former Colt who will be in the circle of honor very soon and what he could be doing for the Colts based on his defensive position for the Chargers.  They REALLY like him.  I think his Hyperbolic Chamber is a smash hit.  It's like a mechanical HGH deployment.

Here are a few of the comments from Charger fans about Freeney:

• Tim Williams · Colorado Technical University
    Dwight you are a flat out stud. I hope you finnally get your chance after all those years with Payton and not being allowed to hit him. We get to play him twice and that should allow you to leave your impression on him. BOLT UP STUD WE ALL LOVE SEEING RECK QBS
  • 1116396_788814273_1648715444_q.jpg
      Binh Q Tran · Top Commenter · University of Iowa
    Freeney is a beast! The miracle is, if he can help keep English on the field this season, we might get a 2-for-1 with this pickup.
  • UlIqmHJn-SK.gif
      Chris Cook · Top Commenter · Orange Glen High
    The lone bright spot of preseason was that Freeney served notice he has come to play , not merely collect a check from a rebuilding team willing to pay him - darn shame Mel isn't rotating in - a secondary needs pressure to succeed , ours probably more than most , so Freeney and Co. are critical in that regard . Should get to Locker at least once .
  • 41641_100000033737612_9781_q.jpg
      Curtis Van de Veld · Top Commenter
    What is the reason Dwight is a legit future hall of famer? He doesn't grandstand and overhype his value, instead he goes about making sure that he is in condition to achieve success every time he plays. From conditioning to diet, Freeney acts like a professional and takes care of business. His influence on the Chargers youth will be memorable years after he stops playing. This was the best off-season talent acquisition the Chargers made - bar none.

i have read its also the techniques he is teaching others and his leadership that is making a big impact

They will get it when we run the ball right at him. 

I Love Dwight, but he is a pure pass rusher and best suited as a RDE on a 4-3 team that scores a lot of points and forces opponents to pass a lot.

I was thoroughly entertained watching Dwight rush the passer. Loved the sacks, hits, pressures, fumbles.

By year 3-4 I was sick of watching him run 8-10 yards deep to no mans land on every other play while any team that needed a Free 5 yards took it through the Freeney open highway.

People seemed to look the other way and he got paid complete player $$$ to be a one dimensional contributor.

He sure did make a lot of RB`s stats look good. Mathis made a ton of $$$ chasing them down for 5+  yard gains from across the field.He was/is quit the pursuing/over pursuing hustler.

Our D`s stank but it worked out well for them.

I wanted Freeney to come back and play for the Colts, but even my untrained eye could tell that he was not adapting well to a 3-4 defense last year. I'd hoped he'd retire a Colt. He still could if he follows Jeff Saturday's lead, but I would imagine he's a tad miffed at the front office.

In any case, while he may be doing an adequate or even admirable job in San Diego, they only picked him up after one of their players was down and out for the season. Even then, he had to come down in price before anyone would sign him. The sports channels all referred to it as "Osi Umenyiora's deal" since Osi had to come down to $8 million over two years as well.

I wanted Freeney to come back and play for the Colts, but even my untrained eye could tell that he was not adapting well to a 3-4 defense last year. I'd hoped he'd retire a Colt. He still could if he follows Jeff Saturday's lead, but I would imagine he's a tad miffed at the front office.

In any case, while he may be doing an adequate or even admirable job in San Diego, they only picked him up after one of their players was down and out for the season. Even then, he had to come down in price before anyone would sign him. The sports channels all referred to it as "Osi Umenyiora's deal" since Osi had to come down to $8 million over two years as well.

isn't a player like freeney and mathis players you build your defense around as opposed to the opposite?

I love Freeney but he doesn't play the run well in a 3/4. We weren't going to pay the money, and I think Grigson just wanted a change. I thought Freeney played as well as he could last year, given the ankle injury he sustained week 1 against the Bears, IMO from a cheap shot, as his ankle got better he played better. For ever a Colt IMO, He may eat Castonzo for lunch when we play SD, but he looked great, maybe his beast game as a Colt last week against the 49ers.

What's funny is Freeney signed a 2 year 8.25 million dollar contract and people talk about hsi stats (while ignoring the stats of QB pressure and hits) and talk about how he's not worth the money.  Yet the same people, I would guess, claim that Walden's (who after three games and 6 tackles 0 sacks) and signed a 4 year 16 million dollar contract) worth does not show up on the stat.

Not saying we will, but Walden's contract is pretty much set up for us to get out of it, no harm no foul, after this season.  It's kind of a 1 year deal with the remainder of it being an "option" so to speak.  

Also it's an apple to oranges comparison.  Freeney's sole job it to get to the QB (has always been awful in run stop), Walden's job is to set the edge and help run contain.  We didn't need Freeney, as Mathis has stepped in and filled the hole left by Freeney, quite well I might add.  What we needed is somebody to help in run defense.

I get your point, just that it's not a totally valid comparison, IMO.

Not saying we will, but Walden's contract is pretty much set up for us to get out of it, no harm no foul, after this season.  It's kind of a 1 year deal with the remainder of it being an "option" so to speak.  

Also it's an apple to oranges comparison.  Freeney's sole job it to get to the QB (has always been awful in run stop), Walden's job is to set the edge and help run contain.  We didn't need Freeney, as Mathis has stepped in and filled the hole left by Freeney, quite well I might add.  What we needed is somebody to help in run defense.

I get your point, just that it's not a totally valid comparison, IMO.

Yes and no (on the comparison) my complaint about Walden is he gets out of position and doesn't change the path of the runner, just like when Freeney used to open up a running lane while rushing the QB.

I think the change of scenery lit a fire under his bootem.       Had he been resigned at the number HE was wanting....     Who knows what his mental state may have been.   Same old same old?  Or OK I'm gonna show these folks DFREE is still the best edge rusher in the NFL...    (and the absolute worst at containing the run, The Colts are fine without him)

Indy DOES not beat SF with Freeney playing major snaps at DE/OLB.     Frank Gore would have run right by him just like last night against the RAMS.

was still here and we could afford him, might we be REALLY good on "D"?  He is playing linebacker for the Chargers as you know.  He's really playing terrific according to the Chargers.  Here is a good read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/19/dwight-freeney-chargers-linebacker-corey-liuget/

I realize many threads to this same effect have been put out here but I think this accompanying article (above link) is worth a look. And it's worth to talk about a future hall of famer and former Colt who will be in the circle of honor very soon and what he could be doing for the Colts based on his defensive position for the Chargers.  They REALLY like him.  I think his Hyperbolic Chamber is a smash hit.  It's like a mechanical HGH deployment.

Here are a few of the comments from Charger fans about Freeney:

• Tim Williams · Colorado Technical University
    Dwight you are a flat out stud. I hope you finnally get your chance after all those years with Payton and not being allowed to hit him. We get to play him twice and that should allow you to leave your impression on him. BOLT UP STUD WE ALL LOVE SEEING RECK QBS
  • 1116396_788814273_1648715444_q.jpg
      Binh Q Tran · Top Commenter · University of Iowa
    Freeney is a beast! The miracle is, if he can help keep English on the field this season, we might get a 2-for-1 with this pickup.
  • UlIqmHJn-SK.gif
      Chris Cook · Top Commenter · Orange Glen High
    The lone bright spot of preseason was that Freeney served notice he has come to play , not merely collect a check from a rebuilding team willing to pay him - darn shame Mel isn't rotating in - a secondary needs pressure to succeed , ours probably more than most , so Freeney and Co. are critical in that regard . Should get to Locker at least once .
  • 41641_100000033737612_9781_q.jpg
      Curtis Van de Veld · Top Commenter
    What is the reason Dwight is a legit future hall of famer? He doesn't grandstand and overhype his value, instead he goes about making sure that he is in condition to achieve success every time he plays. From conditioning to diet, Freeney acts like a professional and takes care of business. His influence on the Chargers youth will be memorable years after he stops playing. This was the best off-season talent acquisition the Chargers made - bar none.

I think the change of scenery lit a fire under his bootem.       Had he been resigned at the number HE was wanting....     Who knows what his mental state may have been.   Same old same old?  Or OK I'm gonna show these folks DFREE is still the best edge rusher in the NFL...    (and the absolute worst at containing the run, The Colts are fine without him)

Indy DOES not beat SF with Freeney playing major snaps at DE/OLB.     Frank Gore would have run right by him just like last night against the RAMS.

Gore's TD run last night was much more about the play call--OC had the perfect play for the defensive alignment--than poor run defense by the DE. That said, I get your point.

Werner 4 year 7.8 million 23 years old.------ Dwight Freeney 2 year 8.75 million 33 years old. Nuff said.

I agree on a business stand point the Colts had to do what was best for the team. And they made the right decision.

But at the same time lets make no mistake Werner will never be the player of a Dwight Freeney not even close!

I agree on a business stand point the Colts had to do what was best for the team. And they made the right decision.

But at the same time lets make no mistake Werner will never be the player of a Dwight Freeney not even close!

Got any lotto tips for me while your looking into the future?

absolutely spot on

although i would add a ton of colts fans hate walden based on 1 play againts the niners and because of pff's ratings of him.  i can't stand that so many fans actually take pff and think they actually know what they are doing when grading players