Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't like what ifs-but if Freeney

chrisfarley

Yes and no (on the comparison) my complaint about Walden is he gets out of position and doesn't change the path of the runner, just like when Freeney used to open up a running lane while rushing the QB.

While he hasn't been great he has still made a difference in our run defense, maybe not a drastic difference but one none the less.  Kind of funny but somebody in another thread posted a video of him against SF.  They were bashing him on the play when in all actuality he was doing exactly what he was supposed to do.  He sealed the outside edge, took on that blocker and forced the run back inside where help was waiting.

I guess no matter what, you're never going to make everybody happy all of the time.

It's still a matter of us needing help on run defense, which is something Freeney has proven for years that he's incapable of doing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While he hasn't been great he has still made a difference in our run defense, maybe not a drastic difference but one none the less.  Kind of funny but somebody in another thread posted a video of him against SF.  They were bashing him on the play when in all actuality he was doing exactly what he was supposed to do.  He sealed the outside edge, took on that blocker and forced the run back inside where help was waiting.

I guess no matter what, you're never going to make everybody happy all of the time.

It's still a matter of us needing help on run defense, which is something Freeney has proven for years that he's incapable of doing.

I mainly posted that (and the Hughes comment) just to get a rise out of people.  But if you think in that clip that he was doing what he was supposed to be doing then I' afraid you don't understand what he is supposed to do.  It's not setting the edge when he(Walden) is between the numbers and the sideline before he turns the runner up the field.  If he wasn't there the runner would have to turn up field in another 5 yards anyways because of the sideline and the sideline doesn't cost $16 million over 4 years.

I mainly posted that (and the Hughes comment) just to get a rise out of people.  But if you think in that clip that he was doing what he was supposed to be doing then I' afraid you don't understand what he is supposed to do.  It's not setting the edge when he(Walden) is between the numbers and the sideline before he turns the runner up the field.  If he wasn't there the runner would have to turn up field in another 5 yards anyways because of the sideline and the sideline doesn't cost $16 million over 4 years.

Once again, the Colts (if they feel he's a total waste like you do) can get out of his contract after this year without any real cap hit moving forward, so at this point your $16 mil argument is moot.  He's on more of a one year audition to earn the other years.

Secondly, the edge will move along the field, the edge is wherever the edge needs to be.  It won't always be between the tackle and the the numbers, but hey according to you, what do I know.

Got any lotto tips for me while your looking into the future?

Doesn't take a fortune teller just someone who knows anything at all about football to realize the athletism and skill set of two players. I think that Werner will be a solid player but there is just not many defensive players that come through the league like Freeney.

Freeney was a beast, offenses had to game plan around Freeney.

Nothing against Werner but if he ends up being "half" the player Freeney was in his prime than im sure Colts fans, Irsay, Grigson, Pagano, and company will be very happy!

Doesn't take a fortune teller just someone who knows anything at all about football to realize the athletism and skill set of two players. I think that Werner will be a solid player but there is just not many defensive players that come through the league like Freeney.

Nothing against Werner but if he ends up being "half" the player Freeney was in his prime than im sure Colts fans, Irsay, Grigson, Pagano, and company will be very happy!

I don't want half of a Freeney.  That means we get half of his ability to stop the run.

The skill set of a refined veteran player, and an extremely raw rookie don't match up. Shocking lol.

Time will tell how good Werner can be, but a 3 game rookie evaluation won't be the decider.

I doubt your "knowing anything about football" let you predict Freeney was going to be as good as he is as a rookie either :).

The skill set of a refined veteran player, and an extremely raw rookie don't match up. Shocking lol.

Time will tell how good Werner can be, but a 3 game rookie evaluation won't be the decider.

I doubt your "knowing anything about football" let you predict Freeney was going to be as good as he is as a rookie either :).

Freeney had 13 sacks in only 8 starts his rookie year, He was asked to do 1 thing and that was get after the QB, Werner is being asked to do more then that, Freeney and Werners rookie years can not(well should not anyway) be compared

Freeney had 13 sacks in only 8 starts his rookie year, He was asked to do 1 thing and that was get after the QB, Werner is being asked to do more then that, Freeney and Werners rookie years can not(well should not anyway) be compared

Completely agree.

he's playing LB in San Diego and killing it.

.5 a sack and some pressures is nice but they dont mean squat once you consider those yards could(and have been....I have seen the film)  gained right back by running at the same man that put that team in a hole to begin with  those sacks or pressures, if h was here he would be doing the same thing, get a big sack and then give all them yards back up just by running at him, Obviously he can play in a 3-4 but as a situational pass rusher only

.5 a sack and some pressures is nice but they dont mean squat once you consider those yards could(and have been....I have seen the film) gained right back by running at the same man that put that team in a hole to begin with those sacks or pressures, if h was here he would be doing the same thing, get a big sack and then give all them yards back up just by running at him, Obviously he can play in a 3-4 but as a situational pass rusher only

he actually hasn't been bad in run defense so far this year. He gives up a big play every now and then but not as frequently as recent years.

he actually hasn't been bad in run defense so far this year. He gives up a big play every now and then but not as frequently as recent years.

The Chargers have one of the worst defenses in football, and a big part of that is they generate few sacks and do nothing to slow down the pass. Not seeing how anybody is being a stud in their defense tbh.

The Chargers have one of the worst defenses in football, and a big part of that is they generate few sacks and do nothing to slow down the pass. Not seeing how anybody is being a stud in their defense tbh.

freeney gets more pressure than any OLB in the league.

Its the rest of the d that's awful. Aside from weddle.

Sorry, but if you can't turn that much pressure in to more than .5 sacks, then you've lost a step as a speed rusher. Especially when one of the QB's you've played against is Michael Vick.

not necessarily. Sacks are kind of a flukey stat. There's not much you can do if the qb throws the ball away before you arrive. 2 of the qbs he's faced so far are top 10 in snap-to-throw.

heck almost half of Aldon smith sacks last year were on plays where the qb held onto the ball for more than 4.5 seconds.

iirc the average snap to throw of QBs freeney has played this year is 2.8 or 2.9.

.5 a sack and some pressures is nice but they dont mean squat once you consider those yards could(and have been....I have seen the film)  gained right back by running at the same man that put that team in a hole to begin with  those sacks or pressures, if h was here he would be doing the same thing, get a big sack and then give all them yards back up just by running at him, Obviously he can play in a 3-4 but as a situational pass rusher only

i seriously question your ability to understand what you are watching during a football game

You're right I didn't know Freeney was going to be good. I have to admit after watching him play football in high school I expected greatness in college and at the pro level and he didn't disappoint.

Freeney still has the all time sack record in Connecticut at the high school level.

I was comparing their skill set as college and rookie players.

Out of college Freeneys 40 speed was 4.38 compared to Werners 4.81. Freeneys faster and quicker than Werner as an old man in the league. Freeneys vertical 40in compared to Werners 31in.

I agree with you 100%, Werner is a raw talent. That is my point exactly Freeney was a beast from day one. Runner up DPY!

"Shocking lol"

You're right I didn't know Freeney was going to be good. I have to admit after watching him play football in high school I expected greatness in college and at the pro level and he didn't disappoint.

Freeney still has the all time sack record in Connecticut at the high school level.

I was comparing their skill set as college and rookie players.

Out of college Freeneys 40 speed was 4.38 compared to Werners 4.81. Freeneys faster and quicker than Werner as an old man in the league. Freeneys vertical 40in compared to Werners 31in.

I agree with you 100%, Werner is a raw talent. That is my point exactly Freeney was a beast from day one. Runner up DPY!

"Shocking lol"

Wow look at all that data you collected after I said you shouldn't compare a rookie to a vet haha.

If anyone thinks Werner is going to be the same 1 dimensional player Freeney is they're in for a surprise. Will he be told "Just rush the QB, don't worry about those gigantic rushing lanes your giving up" like Dwight? Doubt it.

Great player no doubt, but not without his defensive flaws. Flaws which unfortunately don't fit with the D were trying to build.

Wow look at all that data you collected after I said you shouldn't compare a rookie to a vet haha.

If anyone thinks Werner is going to be the same 1 dimensional player Freeney is they're in for a surprise. Will he be told "Just rush the QB, don't worry about those gigantic rushing lanes your giving up" like Dwight? Doubt it.

Great player no doubt, but not without his defensive flaws. Flaws which unfortunately don't fit with the D were trying to build.

do you actually think that freeney made a mistake by giving up a rush lane (as you say)

he was coached to do that.  just like jennings and his odd cushion on every play.  they did what the coaches wanted

i seriously question your ability to understand what you are watching during a football game

Thats fine you have every right to question my understanding of what I see on film. Im nowhere near perfect of course........But there is a reason Freeney is not here and its not because he has lost the ability to get sacks because he certainly has not nor is it because he is damaged goods...Once again.....because he certainly is not. But if you question my ability in regards to Freeneys lack of playing the run then feel free to watch any NFL Rewind film from last year on back to 2009, you will see Freeney rushing upfield and runnings backs running downfield right through the gaping hole he creates those same holes he created here in Indy he is creating in San Diego

do you actually think that freeney made a mistake by giving up a rush lane (as you say)

he was coached to do that.  just like jennings and his odd cushion on every play.  they did what the coaches wanted

contrary to your belief players dont always do what they are taught to do

haha He wasn't coached to watch the running back run by him. You actually think that the coaches didn't wish he would disengage and make a tackle at least every once in a while?

I know the understanding of why we had to let Freeney go it was the right move.

But "WOW" please tell me that this post is a joke!!!

he was coached to do that. just like jennings and his odd cushion on every play. they did what the coaches wanted

Uhhhh yeah I said that he was told to not worry about the rushing lane. So I'm thoroughly confused.

I know the understanding of why we had to let Freeney go it was the right move.

But "WOW" please tell me that this post is a joke!!!

So your telling me Dwight was a staunch run stopper then lol.

Great at getting to the QB and great in our old system. But his one job was get at the QBs.

I like how your acting offended on the behalf of Dwight as if I've insulted him in any way. It wasn't/isn't a secret that he was/is a liability in the run game. Doesn't take away from the tremendous career he's had.

My only point was you can't say Werner could never be as good as Dwight. You never know. Will he likely be the same player. I doubt it. Will he ever have the sack numbers. Fat chance. But he could do his own things to prove greatness. He doesn't have to be compared side by side with Freeney to measure how good he is.

was still here and we could afford him, might we be REALLY good on "D"?  He is playing linebacker for the Chargers as you know.  He's really playing terrific according to the Chargers.  Here is a good read.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/19/dwight-freeney-chargers-linebacker-corey-liuget/

I realize many threads to this same effect have been put out here but I think this accompanying article (above link) is worth a look. And it's worth to talk about a future hall of famer and former Colt who will be in the circle of honor very soon and what he could be doing for the Colts based on his defensive position for the Chargers.  They REALLY like him.  I think his Hyperbolic Chamber is a smash hit.  It's like a mechanical HGH deployment.

Here are a few of the comments from Charger fans about Freeney:

• Tim Williams · Colorado Technical University
    Dwight you are a flat out stud. I hope you finnally get your chance after all those years with Payton and not being allowed to hit him. We get to play him twice and that should allow you to leave your impression on him. BOLT UP STUD WE ALL LOVE SEEING RECK QBS
  • 1116396_788814273_1648715444_q.jpg
      Binh Q Tran · Top Commenter · University of Iowa
    Freeney is a beast! The miracle is, if he can help keep English on the field this season, we might get a 2-for-1 with this pickup.
  • UlIqmHJn-SK.gif
      Chris Cook · Top Commenter · Orange Glen High
    The lone bright spot of preseason was that Freeney served notice he has come to play , not merely collect a check from a rebuilding team willing to pay him - darn shame Mel isn't rotating in - a secondary needs pressure to succeed , ours probably more than most , so Freeney and Co. are critical in that regard . Should get to Locker at least once .
  • 41641_100000033737612_9781_q.jpg
      Curtis Van de Veld · Top Commenter
    What is the reason Dwight is a legit future hall of famer? He doesn't grandstand and overhype his value, instead he goes about making sure that he is in condition to achieve success every time he plays. From conditioning to diet, Freeney acts like a professional and takes care of business. His influence on the Chargers youth will be memorable years after he stops playing. This was the best off-season talent acquisition the Chargers made - bar none.

I hate what ifs :hmm:  What if he had proved to be a good fit in our new scheme ?  He would still be a Colt .

yea, saw that.  was that the play where they should have called a horse collar but picked up the flag?  I feel bad for Freeney, I guess he can take that European vacation now.   :lol:

Oh, I feel terrible for him too, just saying that with the way our defense has played the last 2 weeks, and as well as Mathis has done, and now that Freeney is maybe/probably done for the year, I'm not sure this discussion serves any useful point at this time.  It was already pretty speculative, now it's even moreso.