Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerome Bettis just said we can be a team to challenge the Broncos (ESPN)

smittywerb

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice of him to say that but I disagree. Did he see Peyton playing last night or this season? Our defense is the kind Peyton used to pick apart. Remember those Ravens games?

I remember lots of field goals and joe Flacco stinking up the joint...playoffs anyway

Just saw it on a segment on ESPN.  He said that we have the offense that can keep the ball away from Peyton and also said we have the offense that "Peyton wish he had".

Man, I tell you, just this summer we were going to barely break 7 wins, now we are a team that can challenge the Broncos?  

We are witnessing the monster coming alive.

So funny because Ray was talking about that the other night with Oakland and the guys were discussing how to stop Peyton.

Than I easily recall the 2009 Miami game....TOP 45 to 15 in favor of the Dolphins....and Peyton still wins that game!! Cold blooded killer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENw4765JXXU

And then I recalled the 09 SB

Peyton played great that game....Porter read the play and undercut the route. That was a timing route and yes probably should have been disguised better but Peyton was really good in that game. Especially with Garcon killing that drive at the end of the first half and the momentum being shifted by that and the onside kick. Bad interception...I know...and it could happen against us...but point I was making is with Peyton...TOP isn't end all be all. Luck could throw some bad balls like he did against Chicago and turn it over 3 or 4 times or Peyton could have a game like he did against San Diego in 2010...point being Peyton has shown he can win it almost any way possible.

And then I recalled the 09 SB

Yep, onside kick to keep possession and 8 total meaningful possessions. Convert 3rd down after 3rd down vs Colts' D, dink and dunk and get 1st downs. Go for a 4th down so that Peyton has to drive the length of the field, all schemed to give Peyton a long field and less time, IMO. All the moves worked for Sean Payton that day. In fact, the 2009 SB re-inforces the same strategy but with a better QB who could get those first downs and control tempo better in Brees.

Giants did the same to the Pats in the 18-1 2007 SB, ran the ball well enough, controlled tempo and gave them less possessions to work with.

Yeah, I think too many folks are going overboard.

We beat San Francisco and it is a great win. However, our offensive play calling left something to be desired. Had the 49ers not been as injured on offense, I think they would've taken advantage of the many opportunities we gave them in the first half & 3rd quarter.

We outlasted them and we got the win fair & square. But I honestly think it hinged on the 49ers' problems more than our prowess.

Come on Brian. We had our share of injuries going into that game. We had a makeshift offensive line that may become the key we have been looking for. Our offensive calls were something to be desired? Really?  You say that because of what?  Because the Colts played as a total team and Luck didn't have to be a superstar for the Colts to win? The Colts might have played their best game in a very long time and you want to make it about the 49ers?  :wall:

Come on Brian. We had our share of injuries going into that game.

Yeah I know. I said that.

But it doesn't take way from the reality that we gave them opportunities through some lackluster offensive play calling.

And had they been with their offensive 'injured' players, they probably would've been in a better position to take advantage of those opportunities. And had they done so, this would've been a much different game...instead of the physical beat down we delivered.

Like I said, we won fair & square. But a W in the column and all of us happy about it doesn't cover over the details of what happened. :)

Yeah I know totally. How could we possibly even fathom competing in the playoffs with the golden ones in Denver if we make it back in? I mean they got all those receivers and TDs.......we never saw that before with Manning!!! It's usually a guaranteed championship!!!!

Manning is like the IBM Watson super-computer connected to an automatic machine gun along with all kinds of different sized hollow-points in the arsenal.  Can we compete with Denver?  PeyLuck Bowl is in Manning's cross-hairs, I wonder if he is in ours?

Just saw it on a segment on ESPN. He said that we have the offense that can keep the ball away from Peyton and also said we have the offense that "Peyton wish he had".

Man, I tell you, just this summer we were going to barely break 7 wins, now we are a team that can challenge the Broncos?

We are witnessing the monster coming alive.

The bus is correct. We have the right formula to beat any style of team.

Naaa..  come playoff time Indy just needs to let Peyton be "Peyton in the playoffs" and things will fall into place.

hehee..  I couldn't resist.

Long way to go, but the offensive performance against SF is exactly what you need vs the Broncos. Wouldn't exactly be a new strategy against Peyton.

Peyton played great that game....Porter read the play and undercut the route. That was a timing route and yes probably should have been disguised better but Peyton was really good in that game. Especially with Garcon killing that drive at the end of the first half and the momentum being shifted by that and the onside kick. Bad interception...I know...and it could happen against us...but point I was making is with Peyton...TOP isn't end all be all. Luck could throw some bad balls like he did against Chicago and turn it over 3 or 4 times or Peyton could have a game like he did against San Diego in 2010...point being Peyton has shown he can win it almost any way possible.

I wasn't referencing his performance.....I don't think the Saints could have stopped him. I was referring to the saints chewing up the clock which resulted in a low number of possessions. A tatic also utilized by the Pats when Charlie Weiss was OC. Obviously, the Colts defense during that era was an easy target for that plan. I often wondered why any offense did anything but run the ball and throw 7 yards passes lol

*just realized chad72 already covered this

It is funny that we now face the same problem other teams had in defending Peyton when he was a Colt. Denver is missing 2 defensive starters that they will have back by the time they play us. Peyton is the best at reading defenses but Denver puts their pants on one leg at a time like we do. I hope we are physical with them like we were with SF.

We have an offense Peyton wishes that he had.  

No I'm pretty sure Peyton's pretty happy with his offense.  I can't think of one position on offense that we are better then the Broncos at other then RB.  

Denver's OL - better even without Clady they are beter.

Denver's TE - At very least I would say they are equal to ours.  

Denver's WR.  

D Thomas > Reggie - Mostly because of age, D. Thomas is in his prime.  

Decker and DHB are at least equal and maybe Decker is a bit better.  

Welker > TY Hilton.  I like TY he stretches the field and has a lot of promise to him but he's no Welker.  

RB: I'll grant that Richardson, Bradshaw, and Brown are better then Moreno, Hillman, and Ball

But it doesn't take way from the reality that we gave them opportunities through some lackluster offensive play calling.

And had they been with their offensive 'injured' players, they probably would've been in a better position to take advantage of those opportunities. And had they done so, this would've been a much different game...instead of the physical beat down we delivered.

Like I said, we won fair & square. But a W in the column and all of us happy about it doesn't cover over the details of what happened. :)

Who’s to say that if the 49’s would have had that offense that we would have been “lackluster” (your word not mine) in play calling. Why show what you have if you don’t have too?

Here are the details of what happened. rec yards-Colts-164 ./ 49ers-150---rush.yards-Colts 179 / 49ers 115---turnovers-Colts 0 / 49ers-2---sacks-Colts 1 / 49ers 3---penalties-Colts 1 / 49ers 6--- time of possession Colts 36.25 / 49ers 23.35.--- Yards per play Colts 5 / 49ers 4.8---1st downs Colts 23 / 49ers 14---Total yards Colts 336 / 49ers 254. The Colts called the plays that were working according to how the 49ers were playing defense.  Just because the Colts didn't put up big numbers does not mean it was lackluster. It is called ball control. Now that is reality in numbers and facts.

We all know how to beat Peyton come playoff time because we witnessed him leaving the field at the end of the season sourfaced more times than not. The key is to rough up his receivers to throw off the timing of their passing attack and to hit Peyton multiple times. On offense play ball control by running the ball down their throats and keeping 18 on the sidelines. If the game is close at the end their is a good chance Peyton coughs it up with a debilitating pick at the end to seal the deal. Seen it enough times on the wrong end. Luck and the Colts are well equipped to execute this plan. Definitely possible.

Jeez. With a STUD at quarterback, an amazing defense, and now super talent at RB? How could you guys NOT win the super bowl? Anything less is a failure, in my opinion. You should win the AFCS by at least 4 games.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm starting to like you more... and more now Vance.

Although anything can happen in the NFL, I have a hard time imagining us beating Denver, even at home, on Oct. 20... I'd love to see it, but right now Manning is off to the best start of his career, maybe the finest 1/4 season anybody has ever had to start the year...

The Playoffs are a different story... It might just be that we lose to them at home, but beat them on the road... stranger things have happened, for sure...

Oh, I don't know that James guy was a pretty dependable running back for the Colts for a lot of years.

James was good, but it was because we lined up in 3 WR sets most of the time and defense was thinking pass.  Peyton never had a run game where we could line up 5OL-2TE and punch it right into the defense.  Luck has both, Peyton only had 1.  Not saying James wasn't a terrific back, but you get what I'm saying.

We all know how to beat Peyton come playoff time because we witnessed him leaving the field at the end of the season sourfaced more times than not. The key is to rough up his receivers to throw off the timing of their passing attack and to hit Peyton multiple times. On offense play ball control by running the ball down their throats and keeping 18 on the sidelines. If the game is close at the end their is a good chance Peyton coughs it up with a debilitating pick at the end to seal the deal. Seen it enough times on the wrong end. Luck and the Colts are well equipped to execute this plan. Definitely possible.

Demaryius Thomas 6'3 229

Eric Decker 6'3 215

Julius Thomas 6'5 250

I wouldn't count on roughing up the receivers

Although anything can happen in the NFL, I have a hard time imagining us beating Denver, even at home, on Oct. 20... I'd love to see it, but right now Manning is off to the best start of his career, maybe the finest 1/4 season anybody has ever had to start the year...

The Playoffs are a different story... It might just be that we lose to them at home, but beat them on the road... stranger things have happened, for sure...

Packers last year, 49ers last week.....keep doubting

Here are the details of what happened. rec yards-Colts-164 ./ 49ers-150---rush.yards-Colts 179 / 49ers 115---turnovers-Colts 0 / 49ers-2---sacks-Colts 1 / 49ers 3---penalties-Colts 1 / 49ers 6--- time of possession Colts 36.25 / 49ers 23.35.--- Yards per play Colts 5 / 49ers 4.8---1st downs Colts 23 / 49ers 14---Total yards Colts 336 / 49ers 254. The Colts called the plays that were working according to how the 49ers were playing defense.  Just because the Colts didn't put up big numbers does not mean it was lackluster. It is called ball control. Now that is reality in numbers and facts.

Sounds you like you've got it all figured out. Run with that. :)

Naaa..  come playoff time Indy just needs to let Peyton be "Peyton in the playoffs" and things will fall into place.

hehee..  I couldn't resist.

When people say "let Peyton be Peyton in the playoffs"...do they mean have a terrible defense who lets teams control the ball the whole game, or maybe the total lack of running game...or maybe they mean having Blair White as one of the top WRs available...or maybe we can go back in time, to the playoff losses in New England, when the referees would allow the Pats DBs to butt rape our entire receiving core?   

People fail to point out that IN THE PLAYOFFS, Peyton has a HIGHER completion percentage than Tom Brady...has more passing yards than Tom Brady...and only has ONE more INT than Tom Brady...the only reason he has more playoff losses, is because he consistently dragged terrible teams into the playoffs, single handedly.  Lets not forget, in 2010 he took a team to 10 wins and a playoff berth, that finished with TWO wins the next year, with the same team, minus Peyton Manning...now just realize that we had SEVERAL teams like that over the years, and it's easier to see why he has as many playoff losses as he does, but it also shows how he was able to take BAD teams and make them playoff teams...and due to the lack of a defense that was able to stop anyone, he probably did feel the need to force things a lot, just because he knew that the game rested on his shoulders alone.

When people say "let Peyton be Peyton in the playoffs"...do they mean have a terrible defense who lets teams control the ball the whole game, or maybe the total lack of running game...or maybe they mean having Blair White as one of the top WRs available...or maybe we can go back in time, to the playoff losses in New England, when the referees would allow the Pats DBs to butt rape our entire receiving core?   

People fail to point out that IN THE PLAYOFFS, Peyton has a HIGHER completion percentage than Tom Brady...has more passing yards than Tom Brady...and only has ONE more INT than Tom Brady...the only reason he has more playoff losses, is because he consistently dragged terrible teams into the playoffs, single handedly.  Lets not forget, in 2010 he took a team to 10 wins and a playoff berth, that finished with TWO wins the next year, with the same team, minus Peyton Manning...now just realize that we had SEVERAL teams like that over the years, and it's easier to see why he has as many playoff losses as he does, but it also shows how he was able to take BAD teams and make them playoff teams...and due to the lack of a defense that was able to stop anyone, he probably did feel the need to force things a lot, just because he know that the game rested on his shoulders alone.

Interesting facts, but EVERYONE knows Peyton carried that team.