Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Sucked For Luck...

HarassedOffTheSite

That draft will be remembered as the draft that started it all. Getting franchise QB mostly, BUT also possible elite slot WR or big play maker at the very least, 2 TE's with lots of potential and run stopper and beast in Chapman.

Ballard would be added to that but now he's gonna be the backup most likely. I feel bad for him. Here he is in the beginning of the year thinking "nice, I'm the starter for this team. Here's to a good season", gets hurt so then he's probably optimistic about next season returning and BAM your starting dream in Indy is probably gone. (I say probably cause who knows what could happen with this team lol)

And then there's Brazill and Harnish lol

Guest TeamLoloJones

Of course we sucked for Luck.

A Gift from Polian sticking with Painter. I am forever thankful.

I disagree...Colts were playing their hardest at the end of the year and almost lost the first pick because of it.

I'll never admit we tanked, but I can't really say with confidence that we didn't tank.  Not that it really matters, because we really were that bad anyway.  I think whether we tried to win or not, considering injuries depleted most of our defense intermittently during the season, no QB play, no solid RB, we were losing most of our games regardless of whether we tanked.

I disagree...Colts were playing their hardest at the end of the year and almost lost the first pick because of it.

Who was the QB? hahaha! 

Thanks Curtis for all that you did in putting us in position to Win the draft! Thanks Bill!

You are confusing Polian knowing what getting the best prospect in 25 years meant, to just talking about guys fighting for their jobs. And that was very weak Roster of a bunch of guys that are now, LONG GONE. 

Hope that helps.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Who was the QB? hahaha! 

Thanks Curtis for all that you did in putting us in position to Win the draft! Thanks Bill!

You are confusing Polian knowing what getting the best prospect in 25 years meant, to just talking about guys fighting for their jobs. And that was very weak Roster of a bunch of guys that are now, LONG GONE. 

Hope that helps.

Painter wasn't even playing at the end of the year.  I'm not saying Bill wasn't hoping we got the first pick, but the players were playing like they didn't want to finish with the worst record.  If you disagree you need to go back an watch the last few games of 2011.

Who was the QB? hahaha! 

Hope that helps.

Orlovsky at the end.  Pulled out a couple wins.  I got worried because I hoped we would lose out.  Thanks MJD!

Painter wasn't even playing at the end of the year.  I'm not saying Bill wasn't hoping we got the first pick, but the players were playing like they didn't want to finish with the worst record.  If you disagree you need to go back an watch the last few games of 2011.

We were more competitive because the QB that should have been starting was finally put in. Thanks Bill.

I don`t think those players gave a hoot if their Colts Team finished last.

It was all about their looking competitive on tape so the team or other teams would give them a shot to continue their highly paid Professional careers.

So you think they were sitting around the locker bummed about finishing last, and it may still haunt some of them?

Come on Man! haha! Naaa! JMO peace out Go Colts!

Colts 2012 draft haul:

• Andrew Luck
  • Trent Richardson
  • Coby Fleener
  • Dwayne Allen
  • TY Hilton
  • Vick Ballard.

Ridiculous.

JMO, Vick is a Thomas Jones like player. He could be a 1100 yard guy. Very Solid.

The rest of those guys, all have the physical tools to someday Start in a Pro Bowl. STARTING having Real meaning, IMO.

Yip, the upside should be Huge.

Two O-Lineman and buch better ILB play and VROOOOOOOOOOOM!

i won`t touch the other subject at this exciting moment :D  

The Monster is Coming!!!

I don't think the team tanked.  Because every player on the team is playing for their career.  Players know if they lose changes happen.  Whether it is coaching or they are traded or cut.  So there is no motivation for players to lose.   I understand as an owner or GM they might want the team to lose to get a good pick.

I think the problem 2 years ago was QB.  Simple as that.  Had we gotten Kyle Orton or any competent NFL QB, we would have probably won 5-6 games.

Who was the QB? hahaha! 

Hope that helps.

It was Dan Orlovsky who finished the season and almost won the last 3 games to lose the first pick.  Colts scrambled to get Collins and when that didn't work they had no choice but to use Polian's backup qb (Painter).  Look at Painters first few games he played pretty well and lost a few by a really small margin.

I'll never admit we tanked, but I can't really say with confidence that we didn't tank.  Not that it really matters, because we really were that bad anyway.  I think whether we tried to win or not, considering injuries depleted most of our defense intermittently during the season, no QB play, no solid RB, we were losing most of our games regardless of whether we tanked.

Colts scrambled to get Collins and then were forced to use Polians backup Painter.  Look at the first few games Painter played in u might be shocked how close they were.

There wasn't a single player that would have tanked for Luck.  Their careers were mostly coming to an end and Im sure 100% of that yrs vets played their hearts out to keep Manning instead of drafting a guy for the future.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We were more competitive because the QB that should have been starting was finally put in. Thanks Bill.

I don`t think those players gave a hoot if their Colts Team finished last.

It was all about their looking competitive on tape so the team or other teams would give them a shot to continue their highly paid Professional careers.

So you think they were sitting around the locker bummed about finishing last, and it may still haunt some of them?

Come on Man! haha! Naaa! JMO peace out Go Colts!

yes...yes I do.

I disagree with we sucked for Luck , if that means we tanked the season.

The Colts just sucked period with out 18 behind the center .

If the Colts had felt 18 could still carry the team as he always had no matter how bad the 2011 Colts were 18 would have been a Colt in 2012 IMO . 34 could of been our pick instead of 12 .. 

I'll never admit we tanked, but I can't really say with confidence that we didn't tank. Not that it really matters, because we really were that bad anyway. I think whether we tried to win or not, considering injuries depleted most of our defense intermittently during the season, no QB play, no solid RB, we were losing most of our games regardless of whether we tanked.

We could've beat the Steelers & Buccaners that year had we had a better QB. The only game I could say we actually gave up on was the New Orleans massacre.

A game of which we shall never speak of :ninja:

To say " we sucked for Luck " you also have to say " people were willing to lose their jobs so the Colts could get Andrew Luck "

It doesn't make any sense.

The truth is we sucked and sucky teams get #1 draft picks. Andrew Luck happened to be in the draft. So at the end of the season Irsay took a gamble to start over because he thought it was probably the best time to do so.^

I know its not as catchy as "We Sucked for Luck".

I agree with you completely.  

To say " we sucked for Luck " you also have to say " people were willing to lose their jobs so the Colts could get Andrew Luck "

It doesn't make any sense.

The truth is we sucked and sucky teams get #1 draft picks. Andrew Luck happened to be in the draft. So at the end of the season Irsay took a gamble to start over because he thought it was probably the best time to do so.^

I know its not as catchy as "We Sucked for Luck".

It makes more sense if Billionaire Jim Irsay pays them a nice little "bonus" under the table.  Not saying it happened but I can't rule it out either.  And that only has to go for the coaching staff, really only the OC and DC who do the play calling.  Remember, it wouldn't have been difficult to get Caldwell in on it because as of the end of the season, he was still planned to be the returning coach, even once Grigson was hired.  Caldwell wasn't fired until after Spagnuolo presumably laughed in Grigson's face at the prospect of working "for" Caldwell.  

The defensive play calling that season was horrendous.  The ridiculously stubborn overusage of tampa 2 coverage is one of the sole reasons I can't say definitively that the Colts didn't tank.  

I agree with you completely.  

It makes more sense if Billionaire Jim Irsay pays them a nice little "bonus" under the table.  Not saying it happened but I can't rule it out either.  And that only has to go for the coaching staff, really only the OC and DC who do the play calling.  Remember, it wouldn't have been difficult to get Caldwell in on it because as of the end of the season, he was still planned to be the returning coach, even once Grigson was hired.  Caldwell wasn't fired until after Spagnuolo presumably laughed in Grigson's face at the prospect of working "for" Caldwell.  

The defensive play calling that season was horrendous.  The ridiculously stubborn overusage of tampa 2 coverage is one of the sole reasons I can't say definitively that the Colts didn't tank.

A career > a under the table bonus. I do rule it out because its completely hypothetical and has no merit. Bad coaches have a hard time adjusting but the Tampa 2 was what our defense was built around, not just a weekly game plan.

A career > a under the table bonus. I do rule it out because its completely hypothetical and has no merit. Bad coaches have a hard time adjusting but the Tampa 2 was what our defense was built around, not just a weekly game plan.

The tampa 2 in itself is one coverage scheme.  During one game, they  put up a graphic that showed the teams that used Tampa 2 coverage the most that season.  I don't remember who the 2nd highest team was but the percentage of defensive plays where they ran tampa 2 coverage was somewhere around 20%.  The colts were at number 1 at ~55%.  Almost 3 times higher than the 2nd highest.  It's a coverage for long yardage but they were running it on 1st downs, on the goal line etc.  It was so comically overused that announcers during several games made jokes about it.

To your first line, that depends on what kind of career a person expects they will have and how much the bonus was.  Money talks in every way, shape or form.  IMO to think that there's no amount of money that could be paid to a handful of coaches to convince them to lose games is incredibly naive.  Especially when you take into consideration there was no guarantee they were going to be fired at the end of the season.  Like I said in my previous post, Caldwell was originally still going to be the coach in 2012, and if he wasn't going to get fired then why would any of the other coaches get fired?  In fact, one of the coaches that would have needed to be bribed, the guy calling the plays on offense, Clyde, is still on staff....he's the only one that squeaked through the entire housecleaning.     :thinking:

Colts 2012 draft haul:

• Andrew Luck
  • Trent Richardson
  • Coby Fleener
  • Dwayne Allen
  • TY Hilton
  • Vick Ballard.

Ridiculous.

Getting two of the top three picks from the 2012 draft class, or any other is shocking. Plus you add TY Hilton who is my favorite addition... this is the beginning of something truly special here in Indy.

the thought of tanking the season for luck is moronic

it didn't happen.  it doesn't happen and it is *ic to even consider that it happened.  especially considering the house cleaning at the end of the year

just stupid

of course you're right.  no one has ever broken the rules by doing something underhanded or deceitful just for money or for their own personal gain.  it would be unthinkable.   :thmup: