Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Sucked For Luck...

HarassedOffTheSite

We were more competitive because the QB that should have been starting was finally put in. Thanks Bill.

I don`t think those players gave a hoot if their Colts Team finished last.

It was all about their looking competitive on tape so the team or other teams would give them a shot to continue their highly paid Professional careers.

So you think they were sitting around the locker bummed about finishing last, and it may still haunt some of them?

Come on Man! haha! Naaa! JMO peace out Go Colts!

I hope they cared, as professional, team players. I remember seeing guys like Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Jeff Saturday on the sidelines during that 62-7 New Orleans loss with long, humiliated faces. You think they really didn't care if they finished last after all the success they were used to having in their careers?

of course you're right.  no one has ever broken the rules by doing something underhanded or deceitful just for money or for their own personal gain.  it would be unthinkable.   :thmup:

Someone would've talked by now.

Now if we did what the Browns are doing now, trading away there best players for future draft picks, that is tanking. Those coaches can still coach up the players that remain but at the same time are risking losing the faith of those players. What they are doing is blatant and there's nothing secretive about it. What you guys suspected the Colts did would've been a extremely secretive conspiracy which said conspirators loose their jobs and yet not speak out about it. Imagine the $$$$ any media outlet would pay to get the exclusive on the story? This conspiracy has more holes than a spaghetti strainer.

Someone would've talked by now.

Now if we did what the Browns are doing now, trading away there best players for future draft picks, that is tanking. Those coaches can still coach up the players that remain but at the same time are risking losing the faith of those players. What they are doing is blatant and there's nothing secretive about it. What you guys suspected the Colts did would've been a extremely secretive conspiracy which said conspirators loose their jobs and yet not speak out about it. Imagine the $$$$ any media outlet would pay to get the exclusive on the story? This conspiracy has more holes than a spaghetti strainer.

Coyer did speak out saying he was not allowed to run the defense the way he wanted and it was mandated from the highest levels of the organization.  Christiansen is still on the team so no need to speak out.  That really just leaves Caldwell and possibly the guy who replaced Coyer, Mike Murphy.  At age 70, Coyer is most likely done with coaching anyway.  I think he's a scout now for Mike Shanahan.  Murphy retired after the 2011 season.  So just to summarize:

Jim Caldwell (HC): was supposed to remain HC at the end of the season, only fired after Spagnuolo refused to work under him.  

Clyde Christiansen (OC): Still with the team

Larry Coyer (DC): aged 70 and apparently done with coaching anyway, and so far is the only guy that has actually spoken out saying he wasn't allowed to run the defense the way he wanted to

Mike Murphy (replacement DC): Retired at the end of the year.

I'm not saying that is definitely what happened, but I absolutely cannot say that it definitely did not happen.   

of course you're right.  no one has ever broken the rules by doing something underhanded or deceitful just for money or for their own personal gain.  it would be unthinkable.   :thmup:

everyone got fired.  pulling off a tank job did not happen

thinking otherwise is just foolish.  everyone was playing and coaching for their jobs.  a completely foolish premise altogether

Coyer did speak out saying he was not allowed to run the defense the way he wanted and it was mandated from the highest levels of the organization.  Christiansen is still on the team so no need to speak out.  That really just leaves Caldwell and possibly the guy who replaced Coyer, Mike Murphy.  At age 70, Coyer is most likely done with coaching anyway.  I think he's a scout now for Mike Shanahan.  Murphy retired after the 2011 season.  So just to summarize:

Jim Caldwell (HC): was supposed to remain HC at the end of the season, only fired after Spagnuolo refused to work under him.  

Clyde Christiansen (OC): Still with the team

Larry Coyer (DC): aged 70 and apparently done with coaching anyway, and so far is the only guy that has actually spoken out saying he wasn't allowed to run the defense the way he wanted to

Mike Murphy (replacement DC): Retired at the end of the year.

I'm not saying that is definitely what happened, but I absolutely cannot say that it definitely did not happen.   

logic and reasonable thinking should tell you it definitely didnt happen. 

I'll never admit we tanked, but I can't really say with confidence that we didn't tank.  Not that it really matters, because we really were that bad anyway.  I think whether we tried to win or not, considering injuries depleted most of our defense intermittently during the season, no QB play, no solid RB, we were losing most of our games regardless of whether we tanked.

So Polian and Caldwell you know the guys running the team that year master plan was to tank a season that resulted in them getting fired and got several players who ended up losing their jobs too to buy into it?  Yeah not buying that.  Also for those that might think we really did tank do you really think Polian would keep his mouth shut had he gotten fired after following orders from Irsay in terms of sucking for Luck?  If you believe that I would encourage those that believe we did tank to read any of the stories ever written about Polian's massive ego.  It's fun to say we tanked a season but when you look at the facts around them they just don't make sense.  So say it with confidence we didn't tank. 

I think you hit on what happened when you said "we really were that bad".  That's why just about everyone got fired at the end of the year.  That team was THAT bad. 

we didn't suck for luck. We just really sucked that year...

we realized Peyton wont even let his backup take a snap. Which is exactly why we let him go for Luck

Well there is also the fact that the cap space wasn't realistic to keep both either and the uncomfortable situation that was going to come up at some point when Luck was ready to start and Manning wasn't done playing yet. 

So Polian and Caldwell you know the guys running the team that year master plan was to tank a season that resulted in them getting fired and got several players who ended up losing their jobs too to buy into it?  Yeah not buying that.  Also for those that might think we really did tank do you really think Polian would keep his mouth shut had he gotten fired after following orders from Irsay in terms of sucking for Luck?  If you believe that I would encourage those that believe we did tank to read any of the stories ever written about Polian's massive ego.  It's fun to say we tanked a season but when you look at the facts around them they just don't make sense.  So say it with confidence we didn't tank. 

I think you hit on what happened when you said "we really were that bad".  That's why just about everyone got fired at the end of the year.  That team was THAT bad. 

Its convenient to sat we sucked for Luck for 2 reasons more then any others in my opinion (I think there are others)....1.Because of how highly touted he was.....2.Some I dont think want to believe we really were as bad as we played without Manning, sure we had a few good players but our defense was not built to win without Manning and neither was our O Line....when in fact if Manning ever went down we were screwed

So Polian and Caldwell you know the guys running the team that year master plan was to tank a season that resulted in them getting fired and got several players who ended up losing their jobs too to buy into it? Yeah not buying that. Also for those that might think we really did tank do you really think Polian would keep his mouth shut had he gotten fired after following orders from Irsay in terms of sucking for Luck? If you believe that I would encourage those that believe we did tank to read any of the stories ever written about Polian's massive ego. It's fun to say we tanked a season but when you look at the facts around them they just don't make sense. So say it with confidence we didn't tank.

I think you hit on what happened when you said "we really were that bad". That's why just about everyone got fired at the end of the year. That team was THAT bad.

Who says polian would have had to have been in on it? ;)

Its convenient to sat we sucked for Luck for 2 reasons more then any others in my opinion (I think there are others)....1.Because of how highly touted he was.....2.Some I dont think want to believe we really were as bad as we played without Manning, sure we had a few good players but our defense was not built to win without Manning and neither was our O Line....when in fact if Manning ever went down we were screwed

That's what I pretty much what I said about Manning for years.  That's why I am not against Grigson building a team that has a super star QB but has something else it can lean on in case Luck isn't there. 

Could it be that Irsay himself tanked the season so he would have good reason to fire Polian and all of his henchmen?  Maybe he faked Collins' concussion and forced them to play Painter.  Irsay caught virtually no flack after firing them all for a 2-12 season. 

Irsay is a real man of genius!  :thmup: