Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still need a GUARD!

optimusprimetime

These are Guards that are still looking for a job, nothing spectacular but it would be nice to be deeper there...pick one of these dudes up or trade Donald Brown etc...for a real starter....there are more free agents on the list, but it goes down all the way to Jamey Richard who is looking for a job...lol                                         IN GRIGS WE TRUST

Lance Louis
Nate Livings
Stephen Peterman
Jake Scott
Cooper Carlisle
Bobbie Williams
Chilo Rachal
Geoff Hangartner ©
Deuce Lutui (Suspended three more games)
Jason Spitz ©
Ryan Lilja ©

Antoine Caldwell
Leonard Davis
Derrick Dockery
Rex Hadnot ©
Reggie Wells (RT)
Russ Hochstein (G)

Start Khaled Holmes at Center.... BOOM

He hasn't even been active to this point in the season.  No way he's ready to start over Satele right now if he's not even active for games.  He missed all of camp and almost all of the pre-season.  It's going to take time for him to get things down.  Trust me I love for Holmes to be the answer and he might very well be the long term answer but he's not the answer right this second. 

is thornton starting on sunday

Should be if Reitz or Link was going to start over him I think they would have played before him on Sunday.  Honestly that's the silver lining in the Thomas injury it's getting Thornton on to the field.  The down side is I don't think we can really afford another major injury on the o-line. 

These are Guards that are still looking for a job, nothing spectacular but it would be nice to be deeper there...pick one of these dudes up or trade Donald Brown etc...for a real starter....there are more free agents on the list, but it goes down all the way to Jamey Richard who is looking for a job...lol                                         IN GRIGS WE TRUST

Donald brown has no trade value.

We are now very thin on the line and already staring a rookie..

The week's not over yet.......maybe there's another move coming

At least we're not starting a late rounder or an undrafted rook.

Thornton looked really good in preseason, especially as a run blocker. Cant wait to see T-Rich running behind Thornton and Castonzo.

Too late to trade next year's No.1 for help

Nobody gets rid of Oline talent during the season. To many millions invested in QBs to be trading away quality blockers. Oline isnt getting improved to any real extent till end of season. Grigs cant help that 2 of his 3 interior Olinemen he brought in are standing on the sideline.

Should be if Reitz or Link was going to start over him I think they would have played before him on Sunday.  Honestly that's the silver lining in the Thomas injury it's getting Thornton on to the field.  The down side is I don't think we can really afford another major injury on the o-line. 

Link and Holmes were inactive and I believe injured so they could not play last Sunday. Brass seems to forget Reitz can play LG. Maybe McGlynn is a better G than Reitz was.

He hasn't even been active to this point in the season.  No way he's ready to start over Satele right now if he's not even active for games.  He missed all of camp and almost all of the pre-season.  It's going to take time for him to get things down.  Trust me I love for Holmes to be the answer and he might very well be the long term answer but he's not the answer right this second. 

We should play Holmes at RG.

Castonzo - Thornton - Satele - Holmes - Cherilous    

We should play Holmes at RG.

Castonzo - Thornton - Satele - Holmes - Cherilous

holmes doesn't even have enough of a grasp of center to be active on game days let alone just starting at another poistion. I know people don't like McGlynn but the attitude of anyone but McGlynn doesn't automatically make another option better.

Link and Holmes were inactive and I believe injured so they could not play last Sunday. Brass seems to forget Reitz can play LG. Maybe McGlynn is a better G than Reitz was.

brass doesn't forget they probably like him more at tackle and they gave been using him as third tightend at times which is what he was originally with the Ravens. They might not be using him at guard but I can almost promise you it's not because they forgot he can play it.

also if the Colts like Link or Holmes more Thornton they would have been active Sunday and not Thornton.

I think there are more options than we think with the personnel we have.  Noted, they won't make a GREAT line but they could be adequate for a while.

A few options to consider, not that I'm an expert, just a fan:

I like Thornton and Reitz at guard (since Thomas is on IR).

Could McGlynn play Center?  He played Center at Philly but I'm not sure how he did.  Some guys do poorly at one position on the line and much better at another.  Also, it looks like that when Luck goes out of the shotgun that Satele snaps the ball to Luck's forehead.  Looks like it would be hard to adjust. McGlynn could play until Holmes is ready.  I'm not really impressed with Satele.

I think that Cherilus played LT at Boston, at least for a while, and did ok at it.  Costanzo has played RT and might be more comfortable there.   Just an idea, although I'm sure the coaches have looked at that. 

Regardless of what they do, if anything, the Richardson trade would be more beneficial if they addressed the issues with the offensive line.

brass doesn't forget they probably like him more at tackle and they gave been using him as third tightend at times which is what he was originally with the Ravens. They might not be using him at guard but I can almost promise you it's not because they forgot he can play it.

also if the Colts like Link or Holmes more Thornton they would have been active Sunday and not Thornton.

Didn't say they like Link and Holmes more than Thornton but stating they could not be used Sunday because they were injured. If McGlynn is poor at G it seems Reitz could be used there since he has two years starting there and I believe PFF ranked him as a better G than McGlynn. It then would seem obvious to me that the brass like McGlynn more than Reitz at G. Just my opinion but I thought Reitz was a better run blocker than McGlynn last year and if moved to tackle it would indicate he is also a better pass protector than McGlynn. Again it is just my opinion which does not count.

Didn't say they like Link and Holmes more than Thornton but stating they could not be used Sunday because they were injured. If McGlynn is poor at G it seems Reitz could be used there since he has two years starting there and I believe PFF ranked him as a better G than McGlynn. It then would seem obvious to me that the brass like McGlynn more than Reitz at G. Just my opinion but I thought Reitz was a better run blocker than McGlynn last year and if moved to tackle it would indicate he is also a better pass protector than McGlynn. Again it is just my opinion which does not count.

And my point is that they would have been active over Thornton if they thought they thought they were options to play before him or McGlynn for that matter.  The fact they weren't even active last week probably doesn't make it likely that they are going to start over a guy who has been starting to this point in the season and start over a guy who was active last week when they were not. 

I know PFF does a lot of work in terms of ranking players.  However, NFL teams have their own systems to ranks players.  If the Colts honestly thought Reitz was a better option than McGlynn they would start him over him.  I think it's time that fans come to grips with McGlynn starts because the Colts think he is their best option no matter what we think (I am not a huge McGlynn fan myself) or PFF says.  So on that point we agree. 

I think the Colts want Reitz where he is because they don't really have another option at left tackle besides Link if something should happen Castonzo.  Given the fact that Castonzo has already had a health issue this season and Reitz had limited experience at left tackle they might want him there learning it just in case they need him.  I also kind get the idea they liked him as a tightend/sixth o-lineman on Sunday.  If he's starting at guard then he's not going to be able to play in that role.  So that might factor into what they are doing as well. 

holmes doesn't even have enough of a grasp of center to be active on game days let alone just starting at another poistion. I know people don't like McGlynn but the attitude of anyone but McGlynn doesn't automatically make another option better.

well I hope it is just not knowing the playbook because if he cant block better than McGlynn then why was he drafted?? 

Starting at LG. McGlynn will still be at RG haha

I can see us playing a lot of 2 back formations against SF. 1 RB will be there to block whoever pushes McGlynn on his butt and the other other RB will be there to chip Aldon Smith before going out into the flat. WHY does this team have McGlynn?  Brandon Moore or Brian Waters would have been a Big improvement over McGlynn and both of them are getting old by NFL standards!!!

I can see us playing a lot of 2 back formations against SF. 1 RB will be there to block whoever pushes McGlynn on his butt and the other other RB will be there to chip Aldon Smith before going out into the flat. WHY does this team have McGlynn? Brandon Moore or Brian Waters would have been a Big improvement over McGlynn and both of them are getting old by NFL standards!!!

Out of the 500+ members of this forum, I don't think not one of us can legitimately explain how McGlynn is starting

Out of the 500+ members of this forum, I don't think not one of us can legitimately explain how McGlynn is starting

Sure we can....   and it's not even hard.....

Mike McGlynn is starting for the Indianapolis Colts because -- at this time -- there is no one else better on the roster!

It's just that simple.     Don't buy into the hype of how terrible he is.    That's little more than fans being fans....

Just sayin......

Mike McGlynn is starting for the Indianapolis Colts because -- at this time -- there is no one else better on the roster!

It's just that simple.     Don't buy into the hype of how terrible he is.    That's little more than fans being fans....

Just sayin......

No, he's really just that bad.

Just sayin......

not really.  he is horrible.  people with eyes know this.